The Camera Dealer Dead Pool

Edit My Images
Yes
With AJ Purdy seemingly out of the game, who do you think the next well-known camera retailer to go to the wall will be?

My money is on Jessops, but I get the feeling 7dayshop's coat might be on a shaky peg too....

My money's on 7dayshop.

I know the concept of a Dead Pool is about who we think will be next, rather than who we'd like to be next, but in this case I have a happy convergence. I can't wait to see the back of them.

Personally i think Jessops will go, i just can't see how they can maintain there high prices apart from DSLR's which they are quite competitive on, but with lenses and other things they are way over Internet and some other shop prices, i reckon after Xmas will be the crunch for them.

I don't think Jessops are likely to go anywhere - their prices are quite competitive, and a lot of people will chooe to use them over internet shopping due to the advantage of a local store - Jessops is easily the best-known for this.

Jessops refinanced alot of their debt earlier in the year and fixed interest until 2011 (I think) and will give their next trading update soonish too. I think they'll be OK for the short term, but will struggle over the next 3 years.

As long as Jessops don't go before they ship my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF-S

They did me a very nice price indeed which I'm pleased with :)

I don't think Jessops are likely to go anywhere - their prices are quite competitive

Apart from DSLR's what else are they competitive on :shrug: on another note don't jessops own another internet based company ? but for the life of me i can't remember the name of it :thinking:

Jessops are big which gives them a great deal of room to shrink before shutting up completely, maybe with less shops and less overheads, they could afford then to charge less :shrug:

tecno and cameras2u ?

Tecno are no more and the cameras2u's website now only lists refurbished stuff, unless, for some reason, you use the search function, then the rest of their stock can be found, but their prices have been "realigned" with the prices on Jessops site nowadays...

I hope Jessops go before March and i dont have to pay my finance on my 40d back :LOL:

I hope Jessops go before March and i dont have to pay my finance on my 40d back :LOL:

Unfortunately your finance will be with a 3rd party company. Jessops will have already had their money.

Yes your £600 camera means a whole lot more than thousands of peoples jobs

Sorry, but I couldn't have put that better myself (not without being banned I think) !

As I said, the debt won't be with Jessops anyway. As soon as the purchase is made, the 3rd party finance company will pay Jessops (minus their fee) and the debt will then be with the finance company.

Much that I dislike big chains and big corporations, I would prefer Jessops stick around as they're a useful little shop. My local Jessops staff aren't very knowledgeable although there are others I've been to which have been great. I've got a soft spot for Jessops (and WH Smiths!) and it'd be a shame to see them go, if they're on shaky ground.

i really dont think he meant it in a malicious way

Yes your £600 camera means a whole lot more than thousands of peoples jobs

Sorry, but I couldn't have put that better myself (not without being banned I think) !

Please be sensible you can't possibly think he was meaning any disrespect to the employees of Jessops? get off your P.C. Soap Boxes and get on with naming camera dealerships heading down the pan.

I think the small independant shops will start to slide. Unless they have a hardcore of 'togs with deep pockets and lots of knowledge behind the counter just having a shop on the high street won't cut it anymore. And (I make an assumption) as many won't have lots of money behind them, as cashflow dries up, they will have to shut down.

Whilst Jessops and the like have big bank backing, and a god high street name they will keep going. You would be surprised by how many people just buy off the peg form them.

My 2p worth

Lots of chat here, but nobody's really playing the game.....

Flash has Jessops.
I have 7DayShop.

Who else is in the Dead Pool?

Not a retailer but the company that owns Klick Photopoint and Max Spielman has gone into administration with the loss of 817 jobs......more

Flash has Jessops.
I have 7DayShop.

Oh dear..... I just ordered a new camera off 7dayshop as they were the cheapest :eek:

Here's a reminder for everybody to buy everything on a credit card (that you of course use responsibly and pay off at the end of the month.)

If a shop debits your card and then goes under, you can't really rely on the administrator to sort it out for you. Your credit card company is the safer bet.

Flash has Jessops.
I have 7DayShop.

OK Stewart :)
Wilkinson Cameras and I hope not, but they are too small and too expensive also their website is down here with the message

Sorry, the shop is inaccessible temporarily. Please try again later.

Oh, well I hope I'm wrong but.....

Please be sensible you can't possibly think he was meaning any disrespect to the employees of Jessops? get off your P.C. Soap Boxes and get on with naming camera dealerships heading down the pan.

"be sensible"
in a thread thats guessing who's going down the pan next :wacky:

Thank you A1ex! I cant believe people took it seriously! And i know its a 3rd Party finance company, i was only joking! Fools! :LOL:

My Guess, and i hope not because they are a fantastic company is ApertureUk in london www.apertureuk.com. Reason, they were selling loads of stock at a reduced price recently!

Thank you A1ex! I cant believe people took it seriously! And i know its a 3rd Party finance company, i was only joking! Fools! :LOL:

You'd be surprised how many people think that their debt is with the retailer. And you forgot the smiley! ;)

Personally I think a thread like this is irresponsible, unnecessary and potentially damaging to retailers who need all the support they can get at the moment. When you consider there are thousands of members on here and possibly many more lurking many of whom could be prospective purchasers of equipment there is a good chance that they will be deterred by an unqualified "XXXX are going down the pan" type of comment.

This is exactly how damaging rumours start and can spread like wildfire across the Internet. This is peoples jobs and livelihoods we are talking about here.

Let me put it a different way, if this was your business i.e. [insert name here]photography, how would you feel if it were being discussed in this way?

Just my tuppence worth.

I think a dead pool on which country is going bankrupt first would be more apt

This is exactly how damaging rumours start and can spread like wildfire across the Internet. This is peoples jobs and livelihoods we are talking about here.

Let me put it a different way, if this was your business i.e. [insert name here]photography, how would you feel if it were being discussed in this way?

:agree:

Personally I think a thread like this is irresponsible, unnecessary and potentially damaging to retailers who need all the support they can get at the moment. When you consider there are thousands of members on here and possibly many more lurking many of whom could be prospective purchasers of equipment there is a good chance that they will be deterred by an unqualified "XXXX are going down the pan" type of comment.

Just my tuppence worth.

The same arguement could be applied to posts regarding poor service or such like, or even to thosethreads advising people to buy one brand/model of camera over another. It all has an effect on someone's livelihood.

If it was my business and I came across posts on an internet forum saying that my staff were idiots or the service provided was poor then I'd want to ascertain why these things were being said and do something about it, rather than sitting back and blaming the poster for damaging sales....

If it was my business and I came across posts on an internet forum saying that my staff were idiots or the service provided was poor then I'd want to ascertain why these things were being said and do something about it, rather than sitting back and blaming the poster for damaging sales....

Good point well made!

As would I, but there is a big difference between addressing customer service issues that might exist and comabatting Internet rumours about your organisation's possible demise which could drive potential customers away. Anyway, who is blaming the poster for damaging sales?

As would I, but there is a big difference between addressing customer service issues that might exist and comabatting Internet rumours about your organisation's possible demise which could drive potential customers away.

The way I see it, that would just give you an opportunity to deny the rumours in the press and get some free publicity, perhaps even run a "We're not Closing Down" Sale :LOL:

Back