The canon force is pulling me over from Nikon

would you go over

• Total voters
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
The canon force is pulling me over from Nikon. :confused: I use a Nikon D3100 the son uses a Canon1300D and the wife now has a EOS 3M and there’s an old 350D in the house

It would make sense if I went over to Canon for cost wise on new lenses?

Question is should I give in to the force or fight it o_O

( please note I'm not asking which is best system)

From an economic point of view yes but what canon lenses do they have that you wish to use!

Ultimately, though a hardcore Nikon user for years, compatibility
and economics should answer your question… specially when it
comes to swapping lenses from a body to the other.

Myself and the wife have Nikon in our DNA we once decided to switch and hated it, nothing wrong with Canon, we were so used to the switches on Nikon and just couldnt get used to the layout on Canon, its what you are comfortable holding.......quality wise Canon and Nikon are equal

If you changed to "their" system, they'd be nicking your lenses rather than splashing out for their own. Stick with Nikon!

Why would it not make sense money wise if sharing lenses rather than buying lenses for two systems ?

And don't listen to Canon bashers, they are full of it

Why would it not make sense money wise if sharing lenses rather than buying lenses for two systems ?

And don't listen to Canon bashers, they are full of it

Generalisation at it's best... please...

@Kingo46 any system is good enough these days as long as you are not fully invested into Nikon where switching may cost you more than you thought it would be.

It's worth considering Canon if, and only if, there are lenses that the family already own and would find useful to share between you. From the sound of things there has been no special investment in lenses and there's nothing especially good to tempt you across, so if you already have a couple of decent Nikon lenses I can see no reason to buy a Canon body.

Myself and the wife have Nikon in our DNA we once decided to switch and hated it, nothing wrong with Canon, we were so used to the switches on Nikon and just couldnt get used to the layout on Canon, its what you are comfortable holding.......quality wise Canon and Nikon are equal

I say this to people all the time. There is so little difference between the main brands now that all that really matters is what you are comfortable with and makes sense. Getting the shot is more about being able to use the camera than what the camera is capable of.

Getting the shot is more about being able to use the camera than what the camera is capable of.

However, what the camera is capable of may well dictate the success in 'getting the shot'. :)

However, what the camera is capable of may well dictate the success in 'getting the shot'. :)
That's very rare these days though.

No way! Ask them to move over to nikon!

On a more serious not. I expect if they have a small 1300D and an eos 3m they are not invested into lens? are they?
Still it makes sense to share lenses if you can.

thanks everyone we haven't invested a lot in to any system yet, son used a Canon in school that's why he asked for one, the wife like the M3 due to its weight she will never change it, this will be her camera for good

I might get a cheap Canon so when we all go out saves carrying 2 systems so I think its going to be :nikon::canon: in this order

My 2p. It’s been said here canon Nikon. There is not a lot to chose between. What it comes down to is do you feel happy with it. Chose the system that works for you. Don’t settle for I will get used to it. Even if means taking 2 systems on holiday

Many years ago I faced a similar question. Both my wife and myself used OM cameras, but when autofocus came out my wife switched to Minolta as she found focusing tricky. That meant two sets of lenses to take on holiday, and in those days we often went by aeroplane. To reduce the size and weight, I bought a Minolta 9(xi?) camera to use the same lenses when we went away. At all other times, I stayed with the OM. So my solution was to add a body to take when circumstances dictated having lenses for only one camera system.

I suppose given the poll options, I'm in the "no" group as I didn't swap.

I would say it's not about Canon / Nikon / other. All cameras are good these days. All the manufacturers have some exceptional lenses and some not-so-good ones, and for the majority of people there's very little that you can do with one system that you can't do with another.

But - if you have three people in the family who are all keen on photography, then I would say it makes a LOT of sense to harmonise on one system. In practical terms, being able to share lenses and accessories like batteries and chargers can be very helpful, and then of course there's potentially a big saving on lenses etc because you only need to buy once rather than duplicating or triplicating your purchases to cater for the different systems.

On the other hand, if your interests are extreme and/or very different - for example if you want a 600mm birding kit and your wife and son wouldn't be interested in that - then the harmonisation argument has less force.

so I think its going to be :nikon::canon: in this order
That would fry my noodle - I'd be forever looking where the various buttons/options were and no doubt missing shots in the process. The ergonomic discontinuance would drive me bonkers! tbh in your case I'd make the decision this way, if I was happy to share lenses and other accessories that may be brand specific then I'd go Canon, if I wasn't then I'd stay with Nikon.

Many many years ago when I was looking to go full frame the choice was 5D2, D700 or D3....Other half is a Canon user and I am Pentax through and through. At the time she had L lenses and 50D, she had wanted 5D2 and saving up her pennies...

My thought was that if I spent best part of £2k on camera plus lens I'd never see it again.... Ergonomics and features of D3 made me spend over £3k for it plus 50/1.4. It's not just hate hate hate of the Canon menu system, I loathe it intensely. Meanwhile the Nikon is not too dissimilar to Pentax.

Numbers and convenience might sway you to Canon but in your heart and hands the Nikon might have a better feel.

She now has 7D2 and 5D4, my opinions on Canon interface has worsened, her lens collection has grown considerably. As has my Nikon lens stable, and what do I take out most of the time? Pentax K-1.

I would say it's not about Canon / Nikon / other. All cameras are good these days. All the manufacturers have some exceptional lenses and some not-so-good ones, and for the majority of people there's very little that you can do with one system that you can't do with another.

But - if you have three people in the family who are all keen on photography, then I would say it makes a LOT of sense to harmonise on one system. In practical terms, being able to share lenses and accessories like batteries and chargers can be very helpful, and then of course there's potentially a big saving on lenses etc because you only need to buy once rather than duplicating or triplicating your purchases to cater for the different systems.

On the other hand, if your interests are extreme and/or very different - for example if you want a 600mm birding kit and your wife and son wouldn't be interested in that - then the harmonisation argument has less force.

I agree - however our family should take your advice!

I shoot canon and Nikon

My father canon.... my brother Sony :D

Back