The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
After much deliberation I have just bought a Canon G7X as a carry-everywhere pocket job. Not too difficult to get the hang of really, as it replaces a Panasonic TZ8 with similar basic knobs & dials. The more advanced stuff I know about from my DSLR.

Hopefully this thread will run, and G7X owners & wannabes can compare notes. I don't think there is any need to mention the competition, the internet is full of it. ;)

There are, for me, a couple of minor disappointments. One being the lack of USB cable to copy pics from camera to PC. So my first cry for help: does anyone know if there is such a thing, or is it either card reader or WiFi? And if there is a cable, what's it called and where can I buy it?

Cheers. (y)

Just came here to look for opinions on the g7x. Thinking about swapping my Sony rx100 mk1 for it. Can't afford the mk3 but the g7x looks similar in terms of lens speed at a reduced cost

Well I've had email communication with Canon today, been to a couple of shops learnt a lot about Mini & Micro USB leads, bought a Mini for a tenner ... all sorted.

Now I need a spare battery. Hmmm ... on the Canon website the G7X battery is £72.99 :eek:

Lots of manufacturers of batteries, do a search to find best charge holders. Why not simply put SD card in card reader on PC? Probably faster and simpler...

Lots of manufacturers of batteries, do a search to find best charge holders. Why not simply put SD card in card reader on PC? Probably faster and simpler...

Thanks, I was hoping someone might recommend a battery supplier, and I'd rather buy from a shop than over the net.

Re the card reader method ... I'm just in the habit of never removing cards from my cameras, I've heard the contacts can get worn although I'm not so sure that's an issue. I'm in the habit of have a USB Micro cable permanently dangling from my PC and it plugs into my Nikon and my wife's Panasonic. Now I have a USB Mini cable alongside for the Canon. I like to connect to the PC, view the image on the card using Picasa3, select the ones I want (which might be 10% of them) copy to PC, disconnect the camera and reformat the card to delete all the rubbish.

Bit of a lead balloon this thread ... I guess the G7X is not a serious enough piece of kit to merit discussion.

But anyway, re third party batteries ... how does one find serious information on reputable suppliers, charge holdings and charge holding comparisons?

BTW I'm enjoying my G7X, discretion's the thing. (y)

I got my G7X last week, but havent yet been out with it. Really need to sit and have a play with it :)

Thanks David @minnnt now you mention it I do remember hearing Ex-Pro recommendations on here before ... just checked out exprodirect.com and they do one for £13.97 (y)

*hope it's not bad forum etiquette to be so specific*

Last edited:
Re the G7X canon battery ... it takes just over 2 hours to charge, for the orange light to turn green, I left mine on green for another 30+ mins, and I'm quite convinced it's now lasting longer. In other words the charger may turn green before the battery's fully charged.

Last edited:
Shame that this thread is so quiet... I have just been looking at the G7x and reading reviews of it. I use an RX100 as my pocket camera at the moment but thought it had a fault (which it didn't) so started looking at replacements. I had assumed I would stick with one of the Sony models as I have been happy with this one but then stumbled upon the Canon. Looks to have very similar spec to the RX100 mkIII but at a much lower price and with a bit more reach. I know it lacks the EVF but I am used to not having one so am not worried by that.

Anyone gone to the Canon from the Sony? If so what do you think of it? If I do pick up a Canon (very tempting) I guess the Sony would go which would cover some of the cost, just don't want to end up with sellers remorse!

Not gone from one to the other but, having handled both in the shop, I went for the Canon as it just felt better, and I find the focusing good and resolution sharp.

Well I'm still a little unsure. I've got a Panasonic TZ8 that I've been using for holidays, plus around town and stuff, point & shoot mainly, for the last 6 years (£120). And results are really good. My new G7X is just a little heavier, bulkier and a little less suave. I took it to Portugal for a couple of weeks over xmas, messed with WB, exposures, ISOs and stuff and the results are nothing magical. OK perhaps I've still got a lot to learn but the end results are a whole level below my Nikon D5300 + 35mm prime, which goes for about the same money. OK, you get a G7X for its campactability, but I still feel she needs cherishing and not happy stuffed into the front of my Levis .

Here's a shot of Hammersmith Bridge I took yesterday. I do like the wide angle, but then again, 24mm seems to be the norm for these little things.

EpmMe-KXpPVBzbcq-lX42Pb0338Crt_luqMEUcqqcWShAqQR5OCqTAaMorM0gNeSP0lgWaNRdAMDygkBANFq8OjKWS1UaDRt2VxNP8tOLk47L4dHf-mG7lu5fse8GivDfBRQjix1MG4im-mqnmKvD5bDfQr6HDewjkaQKCqGJhjzuyOuJyq17YzmAB7XGfrf_U75IteYL3UafNS6542nsvimovT58NzHyW16676aMctycE4xKH-BegD9qhSd5peEasdSxso0pHEQa6Os36A0ljx3ijkRdoG_THAKHhnTIfYDDQw2wlqKjmYymY_LABt80Whu8Q1eTm25JsB2ZVPcw3h_nB6ghhJP7AwpDhuDpaOuOBKyv6NEXPAERndm0VW8oEkK-xqa2LDZFQ7Q8CyNLysdYLkRK9IANr86O7os-MdsjXndxFHrQVdbSYWU1V4UNQo0DcbZnntjvvQjJOpWRI1XHlhteU7uwKaOXptvI5j-r7J5DQlH1eGNdepSegUtQayIlFzx2Cwg-EqhXDgMNlLEyneDJne0IPKKq8FH22xTyLRKL6tX2fi1GyDFb4ldTTbV=w1274-h849-no

Last edited:
What's the video like on it? The picks look great but wondering if anyone has any views on the recording aspect of the camera?

I'm not a video person and have no idea what I'm doing with it. Just hit the red button. These should give you a rough idea though I hope.

I love this camera. I thought they would have been more people with it. When I bought mine I was looking at the Sony RX3 at the same time. I didn't need a viewfinder and would not use the video properly. So at the time the G7X was £180 cheaper. So glad I bought this little thing. Absolutely love it.

Here's some that I've taken with it,

The London Bok-eye by Skyline:), on Flickr

The Alphabet Challenge - A is for Above by Skyline:), on Flickr

We All Like This Kind Of Scene by Skyline:), on Flickr

Shadow Walker by Skyline:), on Flickr

Leeds Castle by Skyline:), on Flickr

Sunset Cobblevard by Skyline:), on Flickr

I have a G7 X as my pocket camera, I've always used Canon G cameras as a P&S camera, I swapped the G16 for the G7 X not much difference in IQ if any but both great cameras.

I love the startrail mode it's nice and easy to use, here are 2 taken from the front and rear of my house both with the G16 but the G7 X does exactly the same.

It looks like it's going to be clear tonight so I'll hopefully try a startrail with my G7X and compare the results.

I have a G7 X as my pocket camera, I've always used Canon G cameras as a P&S camera, I swapped the G16 for the G7 X not much difference in IQ if any but both great cameras.

I love the startrail mode it's nice and easy to use, here are 2 taken from the front and rear of my house both with the G16 but the G7 X does exactly the same.

Very cool. Haven't tried this mode yet. How long did they take?

Very cool. Haven't tried this mode yet. How long did they take?
They where both set to 120 mins, I've got my G7X's battery on charge now as it's a clear sky tonight, I hope it stays clear.

They where both set to 120 mins, I've got my G7X's battery on charge now as it's a clear sky tonight, I hope it stays clear.

How long do you think the G7X battery lasts?

How long do you think the G7X battery lasts?
I get 2 120 min shots out of 1 battery if it's fully charged, I have the screen switched to night mode to save power, I don't think you can turn the screen off. If you try it and find that you can turn off the screen please let me know.

I get 2 120 min shots out of 1 battery if it's fully charged, I have the screen switched to night mode to save power, I don't think you can turn the screen off. If you try it and find that you can turn off the screen please let me know.

I'll be trying in the warmer months. It's -2 here tonight and I don't fancy leaving the little thing outside.

I'll be trying in the warmer months. It's -2 here tonight and I don't fancy leaving the little thing outside.
0 degrees here at the moment, I've purchased a cheap sucker mount off fleabay I'll stick it to the outside of the window tonight but I will tie a safety string to it just in case it fails.

No problem David. The video looks good to me, but as far as sound goes I don't know (if you want to add mics and all that stuff)

0 degrees here at the moment, I've purchased a cheap sucker mount off fleabay I'll stick it to the outside of the window tonight but I will tie a safety string to it just in case it fails.

Braver than me lol... Post the results please (y)

I got 1 120 min shot the 2nd only ran for about 40 mins as the battery died. I'll post the pic when I get home from work

I was travelling yesterday and got to play with a g7x in airport Dixon's. Very impressed - I'm surprised there's not more love for it!

Nearly bought one of those as well as a rx100 but instead got a G5X which shares a lot of similar technology apart from the obviously difference.. viewfinder and articulate screen. Like the G7X it's surprising there's not more owners as the quality of pictures they take is fantastic.

Nearly bought one of those as well as a rx100 but instead got a G5X which shares a lot of similar technology apart from the obviously difference.. viewfinder and articulate screen. Like the G7X it's surprising there's not more owners as the quality of pictures they take is fantastic.

Just bought my wife the G5X as she wanted something a little bigger that the S120 she had (and has got into photography more over the last year and a bit). Like you say it's very similar but has more bells and whistle to it. It's just a tiny bit to big to be living in my jacket pocket. For her though it can easily fit into her Abyss of a handbag :)

Here's last nights startrail taken with the G7 X, the camera was stuck to the outside of my bedroom window so the location isn't the best but only testing.

Here's last nights startrail taken with the G7 X, the camera was stuck to the outside of my bedroom window so the location isn't the best but only testing.

It works well though. I will be trying it at some point :)

Back