The "Canon Powershot G Series" owners thread

Thanks for that. Unfortunately not in a position to buy just yet though ;)

AL

I should also refrain but managed to sell a few bits over the weekend. Just mulling over what to pull the trigger on. RX100 M3 or G7X. Most video reviews I saw point to the Canon being the easier one to use and has the better auto focus.

I should also refrain but managed to sell a few bits over the weekend. Just mulling over what to pull the trigger on. RX100 M3 or G7X. Most video reviews I saw point to the Canon being the easier one to use and has the better auto focus.

Can you get to a shop like John Lewis? If so go and feel what one feels nicer in your hand. One will have something the other doesn't, for example touch screen or screen that flips up and down. Image quality is pretty much 50/50 so it's down to what one feels right. Saying that though the G7X is about £200 cheaper :)

I'm been giving some serious consideration to a high end compact as a have it on me all the time rather than lugging my DSLR or even M4/3 and have been giving serious consideration to the G7x and RX100, as well as considered the G5x. I managed to try all 3 today and all have pros and cons but was wondering if anyone can answer a couple of questions regarding the G7x please?

Firstly, in order to move the AF point I couldn't just press the d-pad/wheel on the back as it brought up other options such as flash etc as marked on the wheel. I could alter it by touching anywhere on the LCD but my sausage fingers aren't very accurate. I did find by tapping the screen the wheel could then be used to move the AF point. Is there a way to get the wheel to move the AF point without having to tap the screen first?
Secondly, is there a way to display the current focal length rather than just the current depth of field/zone of focus? I see you can use step zoom which uses the front ring to zoom to pre-selected focal lengths but from what I can gather this still doesn't display the focal length, and of course you can't then use the front ring to change aperture.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Just playing around and I can see that if I'm in AV mode for example I can do this. Make sure AF frame is set on 1-point (press menu, then it's the first one highlighted). I tap the screen once (anywhere) and the center focus square moves there. If I want now I can use the dial to move the focus. Twist the dial left or right, also pressing the dial top bottom left or right will move the focus point.To get the focus square back to the center just press the menu button.
I've not used this way before as I find using the touch screen easier.

Well I was able to have a look at the G7X in the flesh yesterday, as well as the RX100. I didn't realise how small these cameras are! I have small hands but still wonder how these cameras actually handle in real life. Preferred the feel of the G7X over the Sony. Must think carefully before buying methinks, but still look a good bet for a carry everywhere camera.
When is the next Canon cashback? ;)

AL

Well I was able to have a look at the G7X in the flesh yesterday, as well as the RX100. I didn't realise how small these cameras are! I have small hands but still wonder how these cameras actually handle in real life. Preferred the feel of the G7X over the Sony. Must think carefully before buying methinks, but still look a good bet for a carry everywhere camera.
When is the next Canon cashback? ;)

AL
Did you try the G5x too. I was really impressed when I tried this alongside the G7x and Rx100-III yesterday. Viewfinder is a lot better than the Sony, has better controls and almost feels like a DSLR, and of course it has the extra reach. Trouble is the size. It did fit in my trouser pocket, but felt bulky. Don't think it would fit in normal jeans pockets though. I'm still in two/three minds what to do. The idea of this was to be a have it on me camera, but the RX100 and G7x were (for me ) a bit fiddly and 'clunky' to use, whereas the G5x was more akin to what I'm used to. Far too many choices these days :facepalm: ;)

No, I didn't see a G5X. I have a Fuji X30 which I find great to use, but a little too big as a 'carry everywhere' camera. Whatever I buy I will keep the X30, unless the newcomer
proves to be better in every way.

AL

@snerkler and @Al1944 I am in the same boat as you guys! I haven't managed to go down and test them. Where were all 3 in stock to play around with? John Lewis? The Nikon DSLR and Sony ILC are too big to carry around and like you looking at a pocket camera. I just don't like using a smartphone to capture moments as too fiddly.

@snerkler and @Al1944 I am in the same boat as you guys! I haven't managed to go down and test them. Where were all 3 in stock to play around with? John Lewis? The Nikon DSLR and Sony ILC are too big to carry around and like you looking at a pocket camera. I just don't like using a smartphone to capture moments as too fiddly.
Harrison's, it's the only shop near me that has anything like this. My local currys etc don't stock cameras like this.

Harrison's were great as always, gave me plenty of time to play with the cameras and helped figure out most of the settings (although couldn't figure out a way to get the G7x/G5x to display the focal length so am guessing they can't). The trouble is instead of making my mind up it confused me even more :facepalm: If only the G5x was smaller ;)

I'm still trying to decide which camera to go for but have another query. Is it possible to set the G7x up for back button focussing, ie set one of the buttons off the back to focus and thus disabling the shutter button from focussing but still controlling exposure lock and the actual shutter release?

I recently picked up a really good deal on a used RX100 but it suffers from AF inconsistencies so is going back so I'm back on the hunt for a 1" compact and decided to try either the G7x or G5x. One thing I did like on the sony was during image review/playback when you first move the zoom lever it zooms the image straight to 1:1 viewing which, like on my DSLR, I can check critical focus. Does the G7x do the same thing, or at least once you've zoomed in once on playback it stays at this magnification?

I'd be interested to see some people shots with the G7X as I am also considering getting one. There is a Flickr group for this camera but there aren't many people shots on it. I'd like to see how skin colours are as i think this may be a camera you might take to a party or night out.

I'd be interested to see some people shots with the G7X as I am also considering getting one. There is a Flickr group for this camera but there aren't many people shots on it. I'd like to see how skin colours are as i think this may be a camera you might take to a party or night out.

Would love to see this also. I want it for the exact same reason. Took my little one out to a party yesterday and had to resort using the camera on my phone. Captured the moment but a pain to use and fluffed plenty also.

Tried out the G5x today and it's painfully slow to use shooting RAW, had to wait for a second or two before from one shot to the next and that was using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s card. Is the G7x like this or much snappier?

Spent some time down at the European Commission London office in Smith Sq. shooting flags, trying out different settings: f. numbers & metering mainly. The weather was windy & changeable so results difficult to compare, but I was pleasantly surprised by the G7X on-camera HDR. You're given the following options: Natural, Art Standard, Art Vivid, Art Bold, Art Embossed. This image was taken on Art Standard, no PP other than cloning out something bottom right corner, a good result I think without looking obviously HDR. The G7X combines 3 images, as opposed to just 2 on my Nikon D5300.

PNEYou80n8gpLb7A8g59S9h0x3lTZgQ1lS3QyDpAdZEUSTSyAlgDEHLKl_LJgDwknjS03vHTvDoQiNdxbrg62Jxu5tfxj3wgUayk8sENqmRLBMT4xir0XAqQztkPr1cqRYlHFkjND1qnaZGM3kexrbefeApDfHui9zb12FKxv3btuzS9uwxBj_SMqZPs4KbEAymg8RJkHzYzYqNPQP5Ay2A-x2CXgu7MjPM1ICUKXgCLBSCpnHI2npXohEwostyRfzOQNE26rmP7ddSFwYT1YcSxZQ9cmO4sKIuvZRHqCsFKYLkQsK9PkeMrpEUQ6lYTBCKXBkDD9bkdYoPPBLf8240HmzghjfVYmE53sZgo1id8aGCYWSa5Q8z93LD8iEHJohpSGtD2a9PtkP6Pzzsinv01o51lYT6V_JgAlglLmfxwYnt-JsLgHB_1C1IgJ3hEslNx9Xxyfcqrafh_aBSTUYHCsyGLLyCspgdu_CXMbIxsotbD8o5cN3zDfmizcLKzsQUefiZaA7EE74862KmsCWX-O7QfwBSQJV5qIijFPhV0al_9zfcNPP2oDMHMGPoM_eLf=w512-h604-no

Anyone shoot video with their G7x? Have you experienced any clicking issues with the focus and zoom that is picked up by the internal microphone? The touch screen seems ideal for setting the focus and then flipping to manual and shoot away.

Just getting to grips with my newly acquired G7x, is there a way to set the menu so that it returns to the last page/function that you were using rather than defaulting back to the start?

Also, by comparing images to my computer I've worked out that 'clicking' the zoom lever 4 times in playback gives you a 1:1 magnification, is there a way to set this to a one button press in playback?

Lastly has anyone tried the flash modification so that you can use bounce flash that's on YouTube? If so has anyone come up with a better solution that an elastic band?

Apart from the questions aimed at those who have one how are you finding it @snerkler
I like the handling for the most part, prefer the front lens wheel and how it clicks with each step. Not had chance to test IQ though yet. The extra reach over the RX100 M3 makes quite a surprising difference (y)

Besides the obvious viewfinder, the other thing that's not as good as the RX100 is the lack of configuration of the buttons, you can customise just about every button on the RX100 but can't see a way to do it on the G7x apart from the ring function button. That being said there's only one function Id change so far from the end of the world.

Will update when tested the IQ (y)

@snerkler seems like you are happy with results from the G7x? How did you bounce the flash as the G7x need a minor mod/tweak from what I have read? I have had no luck sourcing one on eBay or here! Tried to use it for any video?

@snerkler seems like you are happy with results from the G7x? How did you bounce the flash as the G7x need a minor mod/tweak from what I have read? I have had no luck sourcing one on eBay or here! Tried to use it for any video?
Yep pretty happy with results. Difficult to gain perspective when you're used to high end cameras and lenses, but for a compact I'd say it's pretty impressive. Just make sure you don't pixel peep in the corners with landscapes and the like as it's very soft/distorted.

As for the bounce flash I did the hack from YouTube. Doesn't quite go vertical like the RX100 which is a shame, but better than nothing ;) It'll only be used 'in emergencies' though :p

I don't shoot video.

Cheers for another update :)

I learnt not to pixel peep after getting the D750. The G7x camera is solely to replace my smartphone and capture daily moments of my little one. Pulling the trigger this weekend as got a few family functions over Easter.

That hack sounds decent enough to use with group shots when lighting not optimal.

Can I ask if anyone knows if there is a G7X mk1 and mk2? I found a used camera in a local shop and I'm tempted but doesn't say mk2... I'm not sure if that's even out or will be but I've seen another picture on the net and clearly says MKII... Confused

Can I ask if anyone knows if there is a G7X mk1 and mk2? I found a used camera in a local shop and I'm tempted but doesn't say mk2... I'm not sure if that's even out or will be but I've seen another picture on the net and clearly says MKII... Confused

Yes, there is a MK1 and 2.

April / May same thing.
It's the 1st May so close :p

I'm not particularly excited by the Mark II tbh as it offers very little for me over the Mark I, except a £200 increase in price :eek: (of course YMMV) When it comes down and there's a £100 difference it might be worth consideration. For the same price the DL24-85mm looks a much more interesting camera to me (except the 15mm reduction in FL), although of course we'll have to wait and see what IQ is like before we make a full judgement. Obviously we already know what the G7x-II IQ will be like as lens and sensor remain unchanged from the original.

Thought I'd add a few G7X pics

Hand held shutter priority 1/4 second
XKDBQLZyZrWPdbr6ldSs6zLqLabisz3rIF202ndmTkTZfFscpWx1eAxFQs7ECGg_-gwrCV86icEZlnbRIL1iOAOcb3lL6H8WI3Fk1vJrc2nH00B8b4564qASO20OW3Y_vxmMb92dsnftS046bjhMPBkonCE2XehWg6MAM1SiryWv5NXxB2_9vwoLXOUZNetH9Rw_tUsQ-cSbWG51H72Mnh3KrEa6wdGcpgKHgB6c8u7t7XQI85pTzKviFh71rTHtGIm6M9gvHrH1QpmIuL5Tg8b7O6aq3lZlj7BCuKQcXFxjBwrCg8PdKVp7vapCFQTCHMCvOI5QFAMkZuLsHQcHG9oeoAN6HgRMea5M_QeDMs9taORCALGI3UCdd52C6Lg8gmufWS1T2jJ_97MRFlwg5K9EjtaDv9TXzP6tBCAF9vEJJ152o4kyEi4_1SCqzrUS3EIVOzpkNmjnQ7bOHGYP27Y0CXzZ-KdTPAgUcfq5ZbqZf3m0GRQnWlPgQ8j3jltpWKLVFM05BHGCOV7My0y4xS4kxVTW3UoG5RV5fIi2b5oWHPtg4ThWz__aH_gGXW__dawM=w1469-h849-no

Hand held shutter priority 1/10 second .... PP: yellow sign been selected and sharpened.
0myTyCzjfUGM6wp91840weRN0kmBgM5RWTBgQeISFpXB61Nxq8QkstZJH-aB_U6o2WvbnwpJHKUESlcp4kkfbg7seC86vVaL50edR-qS_9MeyGgKaGHrHbwZvgHBzi1qa-k3qLb8EHPfsx5isLx3VGn63R8SnA3MN17iTk4dlCjKtEGKp0sYSSqOEoHvpSMb6cD2lrnnGCr5DF63KyFgn49eEDxtg1ChC5oXuCD8uqdGLv_8wz_-PIlmaV-eIc4UwbtUcsQ15qwrGpVBV3CX6CpV2JL-kacxK8GrZ9jhr9dmQkWUWLNFjurQYrMWVlCKAQgd-TPAM7kUXul8zzgp95MQKT_6acehuT9Cja5s8fZ00S_e2OFb8yIQG5Sbf_n_azUngqfIbg5ku376sFODjrmY-0nEuTA9syC0Dv6MNBNaXqXK_M4zN5xPioykWaDVgJInJ9omQ30EOuhCIrsd1PX7e9sh0dPuV-Iy35KsJ4CANxdfVGpwvIg0NxgqTCRg2vKI4QWEiRx6ZwCb0_JDAetqxwgsYe90XnqfmrCKyeIBpZW_El4mGHmzwLz3G-HF1H2f=w1665-h849-no

Auto .... PP: Tezenis text has been softened.
R317ZWvyLwHmu9b9AYD4vw9lHVjxhzZz36USgOY5PTEs6opb97377chS_1CAGFt0w9tLPNvqV_fN0s6ZVMNcN5jCPYeHMNJ6S78UYN5OZ2TT8kECvB-8JVLFRgPxrUc5fksdH6vIqQei175w7C8ZnD9wB18rr83K1A5UHhJEw477U1nXWjpV2A-jj-Zj5-c4YT0CLqPHCmJRnK5jBFbDHCi0C0RnGxLhlqXOPFOUKJSITqx6D5qNlyQKAFwZJbR-UzipXNt_AnPWmdKkkf3gMsCAXJAgcFdH2wXThWoqQ_Jp6aysq2VThZiBZNBZSCUzS2UIzpL0A0GYc7m7PLiD6qJA4QQUC-sIFQCKxsVUBZmmrPSjEb8QdJh0G8cfCSOM6h-yzbU7v9Ahw7ozoZ1XD1Q3M0sasrKOUxzEIxlMqCsoCqfx1WyXhN2kasxtAJeSrbWslgQWvoBpe7vPAoOl3gzfsm1c5Dr3AhoW4bhDOZTMsTt6tLUfUl4SO5uK5tj-GNZqkRrbwWiPUUE7r8oLZLrH-fhw7caOn49prYZ0Y93Zyl_GRAZ_Z5Ovygz7vEDbzNOh=w1920-h765-no

on camera HDR "Art Standard"
3xC06VDyFIRhA0wyWbjK_ajLvyvtjXbVDZxutis2okPRoQxqIdSY-96FDL86fbOQHE3iKrQx8HynQg3gyS2D16Lh12SlWSV8q9DelAV2RXqJTr0jNK0wl6tOwt1MTBlXLqcBfsaZXga-O-k1O744v8Fxd1bhGwYXgXx4U9ZV0DFUiDJdaexPnX6ry_dEMs6rkZWQbHQP3P--M7CZ8eIppA-diNij1Nq9NDBAJHVNz6G01Tl86th0d434skdQhN6jIzjNZ_QXxIxa3apb4DvtTAt62UGefnXAXFP2GKsktVxJHlELjY61GYlyDINTuzzltsbiwqt0QQtp2lB_7OYkXlgmaRC7X7pVmun_3l43PhewRkHu0Fl8lYp4dxboLZcJyasDcZgX8xR35QxZdaaCIhwXbQCn1YkPTiMcPH5Tu1U4xJabAKgsDcUqXBlidG1xAU7_D-3rA-1I3XVKadxOZKKEqbX4S-wq81k640bmAHwzhG4UCDwglMpJ0QEupQuN63TH8OQAwxPuBoDUxGvgec_iMBIV_xZM_86yTrNAhiBxqwLo6FfUYjpvewKmNDwqo-ID=w938-h849-no

Last edited:
Back