The Cloud Appreciation Thread PT 3

I love clouds!!

I have a few pics, but dont laugh as they were taken in a moving van whilst heading home from The Isle of Mull in 2006. I have posted them before somewhere I think:thinking: Oh well here we go.....

Photo-0021.jpg

Photo-0023.jpg

They are not very good I just found it amazing that the clouds were rolling over the mountain....looked beautiful :D

Nowt wrong with them mate! Considering how they were taken. Don't really matter anyway, we love clouds!!
If you have an editing programme try cropping some of the forground off, should improve them.

Last edited:
Picked up my first camera Monday, finally got the memory card today (that was a painful few days of waiting) and this thread fit some of the things I've been playing with snapping from the back garden!

1. Not sure how I got this effect, wasn't paying attention to my settings, but it just came out like this without post. (I'll figure all this stuff out soon enough I'm sure - also, apologies for the rooftops, couldn't suitably shoot it without them)
cloudSmoke1.jpg

2. This I just liked for the 'seeing shapes in' value - I see a bird...
cloudBird1.jpg

Taken 24 hours ago in Germany.

Ocean_Sky_01b.jpg

Ocean_Sky_04.jpg

Posted in another thread and identified by jgs001 as 'Nocti Lucent Clouds' :thinking:, although he did go on to say that they're not really clouds but are masses of ice crystals with the rising sun shining up onto their undersides.

Whatever you call them, I call them 'impressive looking' :D.

Ocean_Sky_01b.jpg

Ocean_Sky_04.jpg

Posted in another thread and identified by jgs001 as 'Nocti Lucent Clouds' :thinking:, although he did go on to say that they're not really clouds but are masses of ice crystals with the rising sun shining up onto their undersides.

Me too!
Stunning shots mate, love em!

Me too!
Stunning shots mate, love em!

I just wish that the wind hadn't been blowing those trees around, making them look fuzzy :(, but then again, who's gonna look at trees with a sky like that :D!?

I've subsequently discovered that these Noctilucent clouds were first recorded as being observed in 1885 ... in Germany :eek:! How appropriate :D!

Ocean_Sky_01b.jpg

Ocean_Sky_04.jpg

:clap: Great shots.

Yes, they are Noctilucent or Polar Mesopheric Clouds. Ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

There are a few from night of 19-20th July '09 on my Flickr page. I can't post them here as they are over the forum max size and I haven't got time to reduce them. :nuts:

Don't you think it looks like a map of the UK?
3753493738_e80fc857e8.jpg

Cotton Wool Ball?
3753493820_71c0b237a7.jpg

U.F.O. ?
3752699453_d76d3e75b9.jpg

All these were taken from The Rose & Bowl Bowling green! Yes, we have had some sunshine 'oop north'
3752699207_864770a188.jpg

:clap: Great shots.

Yes, they are Noctilucent or Polar Mesopheric Clouds. Ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

There are a few from night of 19-20th July '09 on my Flickr page. I can't post them here as they are over the forum max size and I haven't got time to reduce them. :nuts:

(y) Yep, those are the same clouds alright! Much easier to see the form of them on your Flickr page, than in my (somewhat over-contrasty examples :(), although mine were processed for added drama rather than being treated with the scientific respect that they deserved :D.

I took this the other night at sunset just after a storm had passed over.

Paul

Just a few of my strange sightings in the Lincolnshire Fens, these clouds are really low considering here it's only 10metres above sea level !

Isn't Mother nature diverse in her patterns?

great images guys
love Ziplocs ice (sun) dog (y)

Isn't Mother nature diverse in her patterns?

great images guys
love Ziplocs ice (sun) dog (y)

Thanks just wish I had caught it a minute before as the whole cloud was a rainbow. Or even caught it today for the tp photo day.

Love clouds, couple from me...

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

COOL im NOT a weirdo, or at least if i am then there are others like me :) anyway here's 1 of my efforts
enjoy

Since I took up photography a few months ago, I have noticed clouds much, much more and often stand looking at them or pointing at them while I drive - wife isn't happy...:wacky:

Glenn,

Not too sure which I like more :thinking:, the pictures of the clouds you've just posted, or your Avatar :p?

Nice clouds (y)

How did I miss this thread! I have literally thousands of cloud pictures and it is one of the reason I got into photography initially.

Glenn, nice Lenticular (I think) have only ever managed to catch them on my phone camera, and have only every seen them once in this country :(

Glenn,

Not too sure which I like more :thinking:, the pictures of the clouds you've just posted, or your Avatar :p?

Nice clouds (y)

Thanks, she's a cheeky looking aeroplane isn't she?

Glenn, nice Lenticular (I think) have only ever managed to catch them on my phone camera, and have only every seen them once in this country

Thanks, yes lenticular, quite common here in Scotland

Ok you got me, I'm outta the closet, I'm a cloud nut.

Here's a few recent ones..

Just a nice cloudscape I zoomed in on.

boil4med.jpg

A lovely roll cloud on a gust front, sadly ruined by the telephone cable.

boil1med.jpg

This one just tickled me, its obviously a contrail from a plane flying past the cloud, but the first thought that came into my head was "death ray cloud" so I took the shot.

deathraycloudmed.jpg

Back