The Colour Theory

Very informative and thought provoking. So many times of heard the saying " photography is all about the light" but now I have to re- evaluate that statement. Thanks for sharing it.

Very informative and thought provoking. So many times of heard the saying " photography is all about the light" but now I have to re- evaluate that statement. Thanks for sharing it.

I remember the 3 light theory...
Quantity
Quality
Direction

A combination of which are essential

The photon is one of the building blocks of life at the time of the Big Bang

Sort of "let there be light "

Enjoyed the bits about perceived colour. It's just a shame so much of the physics is wrong. Light does exist even if nothing is there for it to interact with. Blue skies and sunsets are down to Rayleigh scattering and the boundary effects are caused by diffraction.

Enjoyed the bits about perceived colour. It's just a shame so much of the physics is wrong. Light does exist even if nothing is there for it to interact with. Blue skies and sunsets are down to Rayleigh scattering and the boundary effects are caused by diffraction.

BRAVO

is there no light in space...just where it comes from and ends...
really good post old chap...
ps

"Our eyes perceive the reflected portion as color. The brilliant color in flowers is a way of attracting pollinators, such as bees. ... Many patterns on flowers are invisible to humans. These nectar “bulls-eyes” are visible only to animals, such as bees, that have the ability to see ultra-violet light.20 May 2016"
thanks to beeculture.com..what do bees see

why are the flowers so colourful to us then...
and sunsets...do cows in a field find them beautiful...or just a sign to kip

Last edited:

Agreed. This is the first time I'd got round to reading about Goethe's colour theory, something I've been meaning to do for decades. Way back then, when Newton was playing with prisms and scarily poking one eye to experimentally distort vision, there was less scientific evidence to trip up Goethe's speculations. Now we know about not only Rayleigh scattering, edge diffraction, and retinal fatigue after-image effects, but the astonishingly good efforts of the brain to do auto white balancing in order to approximate to the "real" colours of things, in the sense of what colour they'd look like under a flat spectrum white light.

Back