The complete Veil complex in mono

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
The Veil Nebula is a cloud of heated and ionized gas and dust in the constellation Cygnus. It constitutes the visible portions of the Cygnus Loop, a large but relatively faint supernova remnant. The supernova exploded some 5,000 to 8,000 years ago, and the remnants have since expanded to cover an area roughly 36 times the area of the full moon. The distance to the nebula is not precisely known, but Far Ultraviolet Spectroscopic Explorer (FUSE) data supports a distance of about 1,470 light-years.

This is a two pane mosaic in order to the the huge field of view and totals 16 x 30 minute exposures. It's only in mono at the minute as this is one of the filters used in order to collect the data for a colour image .... now the weather has taken a turn for the worse!

The complete Veil nebula complex (NGC6960) in mono by Sara Wager, on Flickr

If you are interested you can see a larger res version http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/veil_mono.jpg

If you can eventually add the cloour channels to that it will be sensational. I have three seperate images of little bits of the Veil (all rubbish) but to see it in its entirety really brings home what an dramatic place the universe is.

I hope to add colour for sure, but I do think that this stands well on it's own as a mono image ...... but I am a bit of a mono junkie LOL! Thanks for looking and commenting (y)

I think the B&W treatment actually brings out the filamentary nature of the hydrogen emission quite well - looking forward to seeing the eventual 3-colour version!

Always enjoy seeing your astro images, Sara and am looking forward to seeing this one when you've had a chance to capture and process all the other layers you'll probably be chasing for the finished colour image. WAY more patience than me and such dedication to it as well. Particularly like the quick descriptions you give, enough to tell us where things are and how you captured them without being too educational in tone.

Thanks (as always) for sharing.

I work with people at the ESA, i'll pass your flickr link on - I expect they will enjoy them :) ( I do! )

Last edited:
Thanks very much all for your comments - They are much appreciated. Unfortunately the colour data is very slow in coming - The weather is poor and soon the moon will be around, which will again put paid to any data collection.

Back