The Dance

I think a "cheeky" little smile would have set the pic off wonderfully, having said that its still a great shot.

Very nice portrait style capture Gav, with some good lighting.

Like it! Great pose that feels like there is more confidence in your model.

Subjective stuff: The blue bra is a distraction (no pun intended). It's a distinctive colour and yet it's hidden away behind the arm, so not what I'd call the subject. Part of me thinks that selectively colouring it to black might look better, or making the whole thing B&W. Of course, if it's intentionally meant to be a distraction, then it succeeded.

Almost looks like she should have a pair of [black] shades at the end of her nose and be peeking over them. Or a hat. Or maybe I've been messing with them too much myself recently :)

Yep. I really like it Gav. (y)

Just a thought, and I'm loving the journey you guys are both on, could a hair light add to pull the model from the black background. Just a little bit.

Is it glamour, contemporary dance, emotive portrait or something else?
It looks like Martial Arts to me, and Gav is about to get a slap :D

I have to agree about the bra colour, it does tend to draw the eye in, ( sorry :D ) black might have been better, and also agree about Em peering over a set of shades, would add something.

I like the way you are both gaining in confidence. Nice one Gav.

I think a "cheeky" little smile would have set the pic off wonderfully, having said that its still a great shot.
Thank you.
Very nice portrait style capture Gav, with some good lighting.
Thank you, George.
Just a thought, and I'm loving the journey you guys are both on, could a hair light add to pull the model from the black background. Just a little bit.
Thank you, I was a after a darker look, I'll try adding extra to the next try.

Like it! Great pose that feels like there is more confidence in your model.
Thank you, Ian, Em is starting to relax.
Subjective stuff: The blue bra is a distraction (no pun intended). It's a distinctive colour and yet it's hidden away behind the arm, so not what I'd call the subject. Part of me thinks that selectively colouring it to black might look better, or making the whole thing B&W. Of course, if it's intentionally meant to be a distraction, then it succeeded.

Almost looks like she should have a pair of [black] shades at the end of her nose and be peeking over them. Or a hat. Or maybe I've been messing with them too much myself recently :)

Yep. I really like it Gav. (y)
I'll be honest, we were just trying a few ideas and Em started throwing shapes around so we just ran with it.

I will think about having another go with the ideas, she does have a hat..

Thank you.

The confidence & engagement is great, really nice to see this grow.
Thank you, Simon.
The 'story' in this image is a bit confused. Is it glamour, contemporary dance, emotive portrait or something else?
Has above to Ian, this was a bit of a play and one thing lead to another so just ran with it, I/we need to try again with a little more planning.

Thank you.

It looks like Martial Arts to me, and Gav is about to get a slap :D

I have to agree about the bra colour, it does tend to draw the eye in, ( sorry :D ) black might have been better, and also agree about Em peering over a set of shades, would add something.

I like the way you are both gaining in confidence. Nice one Gav.
Thank you, Chris, it does have a ' I'm coming for you ' feel :LOL:

Thank you.

Works so much better for me. What do you think?

Credit to Em for the spooky pose.

On the blue bra, well its subjective. I would say it adds some colour to the composition and is fine enough. Possibly a dark red lipstick would add some complementary colour? Something to try for the next time.

@Gav: Don't know if it's just on my tablet screen but I am seeing some artefact kind of halo behind Em. It's much more noticeable in the second version.

Credit to Em for the spooky pose.

On the blue bra, well its subjective. I would say it adds some colour to the composition and is fine enough. Possibly a dark red lipstick would add some complementary colour? Something to try for the next time.

@Gav: Don't know if it's just on my tablet screen but I am seeing some artefact kind of halo behind Em. It's much more noticeable in the second version.
Thank you, Ashish.

Thank you for the ideas, I'll take note :)

There is a slight halo behind Em on the BG, Flickr seems to darken my images and I have a tough time tryimg to get it to balance with tweaking, the direct upload seems to handle the colours better, but on my screen the light patch behind is just showing.

Thank you.

Thank you, George.

Thank you, I was a after a darker look, I'll try adding extra to the next try.

Thank you, Ian, Em is starting to relax.

I'll be honest, we were just trying a few ideas and Em started throwing shapes around so we just ran with it.

I will think about having another go with the ideas, she does have a hat..

Thank you.

Thank you, Simon.

Has above to Ian, this was a bit of a play and one thing lead to another so just ran with it, I/we need to try again with a little more planning.

Thank you.
Planning is just one way to address it. The other is to keep the spontaneity but to have the awareness and confidence to say ‘no, this isn’t quite right, let’s tweak it’.

Liking this, mate. I know your title is "Dance", but to me has a bit of a "Kill Bill" vibe about it ;)

Liking this, mate. I know your title is "Dance", but to me has a bit of a "Kill Bill" vibe about it ;)
For me it was Pulp Fiction. The dance scene with Uma Thurman. Maybe it's a general Tarantino thing :)

Back