The Darkroom UK

Bud

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

May I please ask, if anyone has any recent experience of the E6 processing service the Darkroom UK Ltd are offering. After having a quick search through google, finding a dip and dunk lab which is reasonably priced - is harder than I thought to come by today.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I use them for 90% of my C41/E6 processing and occasionally for my b&w when I'm feeling lazy.

Great service, they used to be very good value now they're just good value since having to add return postage costs but they're still freepost to send them.

The quality is generally excellent and my only complaint is the sleeves they use, they use the print-through type and I find them an utter PIA and would be pleased if they swapped to the glassine type.

And their turnaround time is second to none, if I post on a Monday they will drop through the letterbox on Wednesday 95% of the time. I've not used them for scanning or printing but for 35mm, medium format and 5x4 processing I find them hard to beat.

Can't say I have used them personally, so I can't really offer any advice about them... I'm assuming however that you have considered peak imaging? I use them for E6 and find them to be excellent. I admit I don't know how they compare price wise though.

Can't say I have used them personally, so I can't really offer any advice about them ... I admit I don't know how they compare price wise.

That's woffling in my book. Answer the bloody question.

I see you conveniently removed the bit of the quote where he offers advice on a different lab which is very highly regarded on the forums.

OP what was your problem with Peaks service? EDIT - for some reason you've removed that bit now

Last edited:
Answer the bloody question.

Unless I'm missing something, Woodsy has made a potentially helpful comment whereas you... Erm... Haven't.

Sheesh, what is it with this place today?

P.S. Just to say at least something relevant, as someone who's been very impressed with Peak I'd also be interested to hear what problems people have experienced.

Last edited:
I've used Peak for the past 12 months and have never had anything but top class service, send on a monday returned on a wednesday. I know Nick loves The Darkroom and I will give them a try soon though just for comparisons.

Andy

Oh and by the way its wAffling not wOffling....

Last edited:
I've used peak a few times but their ordering process is a faff. I've switched to ag because you can do a paypal online and they send a nice padded freepost envelope.

Wish they were faster though.

Moorland imaging were close to me but they went bust. Bit annoyed I never used them as I could do with a decent one hour lab. Max speilman are a bit hit and miss. Negs from ag are returned in much better condition.

I've only ever had great service from the darkroom, but I havent sent them anything for a few months now. The last set of sheets were as good as always though

I used the darkroom for my last roll of Velvia through the 'blad about 2 weeks ago. They had a very quick turnaround and the quality of the processing was very good. I'd recommend them.

I use The Darkroom to do all my processing and I can say they are very good. I normally post on a Monday and it is returned on a Wednesday.

I haven't had a case where I have been disappointed with their service. Big thumbs up from me.

+1 for Peak, their quality and service time astonishes me. Last week sent off two 35mm E6 films for dev and mount on Wednesday, using their second class Freepost address and only paying for the standard 1st class post back. I was expecting them to come on Saturday or Monday, but no they dropped on the mat on Friday!

To say I was surprised is an understatement as I have used them quite a bit previously, and they usually come back 3 days later (which by itself is impressive), but 2 days and in absolutely top notch quality blew any of my previous praise for their service time and quality right out of the water.

I have used the Darkroom regularly before (last time a year and a half or so ago) as their quality and service time was similar to Peak but ~£3.00 per roll cheaper, but when they started imposing a £3 postage fee due to the Royal Mail price increase, they were practically the same price as Peak so I switched back.

I don't even know what woffling means.

I tried to google it but still none the wiser.

And there's the massive ban hammer.......TBY rocks.

Thank you for the feedback.

I sent away a film for processing, sent on Wednesday afternoon back with me on Friday morning which was excellent fast turnaround service. The film was handled well enough with no scratches but a few drying marks and residue evident on a few frames. Just a shame my photography isn't up to much lately!

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback.

I sent away a film for processing, sent on Wednesday afternoon back with me on Friday morning which was excellent fast turnaround service. The film was handled well with no scratches or residue markings evident. Just a shame my photography isn't up to much lately!

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with the Darkroom, the negs come back clean and processed correctly but they fail consistently at delivering quality photographs, I'm thinking of trying Peak but I don't think it will help.

^^^ Yeh, whatever.....I think you once told me to stop doing myself down as I am actually not that bad...right back at ya fella. (y)

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with the Darkroom, the negs come back clean and processed correctly but they fail consistently at delivering quality photographs, I'm thinking of trying Peak but I don't think it will help.

You never know lol.

Last edited:
^^^ Yeh, whatever.....I think you once told me to stop doing myself down as I am actually not that bad...right back at ya fella. (y)

Sorry Andy you're right, I am actually awesome :D

I knew there was something special about you.:LOL:

Back