The darkside (nikon) is tempting

Raymond Lin

I am Groot
Name
Raymond
Edit My Images
No
After speaking to everybody on irc today and did some math......

I need the following gear by August as i have a wedding to do on the 15th and i did some simple math....and am a little shocked.

The table explains it all really, it shows what i need and what i have (zeros) and that it is actually cheaper to switch system than stick with Canon.....

Foggy also mention that i could get 2 x SB-600 for not much more than a single SB-800...............:thinking:

EDIT - I can even use the difference to get a D300 instead of a D90 !

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........i like Canon (its UI) and lenses dammit..........

It's maths. You're not in America now sonny-jim :p

That depends on how much you do actually get for your Canon gear too...£270 isn't much really compared to the thousands! :p

i thought it was just me who planned things in excel lol

excel rocks you can do just about anything in it

go one treat yourself,

I can see this thread going bananas.

You don't need to spend the best part of a grand to get a wide angle lens to do a wedding - if you really need one, then a 10-22 (or a Sigma 10-20) comes in at around £200-£300.

You don't need a grip. At all - get some more batteries.

And I doubt you'd get £200 for a 50mm f/1.4 - they're less than that new.

And you don't need a 5D2 to shoot a wedding anyway - the 30D is fine. If you want the assurance of a 2nd body (which is a good idea) then just get another 30D.

Really - take a step back and stop using stats to tell you things that aren't there.

I can see this thread going bananas.

You don't need to spend the best part of a grand to get a wide angle lens to do a wedding - if you really need one, then a 10-22 (or a Sigma 10-20) comes in at around £200-£300.

You don't need a grip. At all - get some more batteries.

And I doubt you'd get £200 for a 50mm f/1.4 - they're less than that new.

And you don't need a 5D2 to shoot a wedding anyway - the 30D is fine. If you want the assurance of a 2nd body (which is a good idea) then just get another 30D.

Really - take a step back and stop using stats to tell you things that aren't there.

Well, I don't need anything but I want it (and need it actually), and I am sure you have noticed, they are all fast glass, I want full frame for the low light shots in weddings, I need the quality of the glass. The math shows what it is, nothing to do with better or worst equipment, as the gear I listed are the best for that price range, getting a 10-20, is neither appropriate nor comparable really. On top of that, i really want to go Full Frame, i have missed it since i went digital, i don't know what it is, i just love Full Frame, even when with film.

I mean i wish Canon is cheaper but i am at a point where better equipment is needed, currently i am starting afresh with glass so i have a choice to get what i want now with minimal financial penalties.

p.s. the 50/1.4 is not less than £200 new !!! its around £215 i think....anyway, its a rough figure i put in there for that.

I guess I am just thinking out loud too, the plan is get either one or the other inbrhe long run, if I had to hire a lens for that day then I will but the overall cost of a switch seems to make sense on a financial level.

I'll look at this again tomorrow. With a clear head ;)

5D MkII Body only here for £1799.99

Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM mkII @ Jacobs for £901

BG-E6 is £176 on the first site I looked at. Cameraworld.

An then you don't seem to factor in that if you stick with Canon, you get to keep, and use your 50mm F1.4.

Saying that, you could probably do the same for Nikon! :D

I'll bet you'd rarely use the 14-24mm at a wedding. It's sure as hell not a lens for groups, and a used 17-35/2.8 for £500-600 saves you another £400 and is a better bet for a PJ approach.

So, what EXACTLY is it you're after other than full-frame, because the 5D2 and D700 are very different cameras.

Hey Raymond, if you want to switch then just switch. Don't put together an apples-and-oranges comparison to try to justify it.

* The 5D Mk II is going to be a lot cheaper than £2000 by August. The price you're seeing now is artificially hiked to exploit the early-adopter must-have fanboys.

* If you don't need a 50/1.4 then you should sell it even if you stick wth Canon. If you do need it, you should buy a Nikon one (and the new AF-S version ain't cheap!)

(By the way, you forgot to budget for a 70-200 or similar. Surely you're not proposing to do weddings with nothing longer than 70mm?)

But also, you don't need to spend anywhere that kind of money to do a wedding. I know a place where you can get your hands on thse kinds of lenses for far less money. (OK, you have to give them back at the end of your hire period... ;)) Though I grant you that buying the gear might be a better approach if you have lots of weddings to do.

(By the way, you forgot to budget for a 70-200 or similar. Surely you're not proposing to do weddings with nothing longer than 70mm?)

Why not - I've got one and haven't used it since July (11 weddings). It'll depend on the venue.

I've got both the Nikkor 14-24 and the 17-35.

If I only had to have one lens, I'd keep the 17-35.

Luckily I don't only have to have one! :)

The 14-24 is sharper wide open, and into the corners. The 17-35 was however Nikon's best wide angle lens (which means its one of the best wide angles made), as its superb. Its probably my favourite lens. I got very lucky buying one recently from a 14-24 switcher, late serial minter.

I've re-bought the 14-24 as I realized I raved about it too much not to own it (again) - I suspect with the D700x / D800 the 17-35 might not hold up quite as well on a high resolution FF sensor.

I'd definately consider the Canon 5D MKII seriously - it looks like a stonking camera, and that would be my first port of call if I had Canon glass.

when will you be able to AFFORD to switch as going to a wedding with unknown bodies and not knowing your lenses may mean you dont get the best shots you would.

A saving of £277? Its not worth the difference for the hassle of changing. And what if you dont get the money you want for your current gear, that £277 starts to shrink. Then you ask yourself, was it really worth the hassle of swapping ALL gear. Now you have doubts, have you done the right thing? What if you want to go back to Canon? Its now too late as your "stuck" with all your Nikon gear. What if you dont get on with the bodies like you do your 30d?

After all that, does £200-£277 really sound worth it? :LOL:

And you only have half the resolution.

The High ISO of the Canon looks reasonable as well, not up to the D700 but much better than the Sony A900

If you want to shoot at high ISO, from what I've seen a pixel binned sRAW from the 5D MKII (10 megapixels) is less noisy and more detailed than a 12 megapixel NEF from a D3 or D700.

That is a very good reason to switch and I am well aware of that, specially in a wedding where you get literally 1 chance for any shot.
Good point. All those thousands of photographers who've been using 5Ds for weddings for years have been plagued with OOF shots. :thinking:

Good point. All those thousands of photographers who've been using 5Ds for weddings for years have been plagued with OOF shots. :thinking:

Sorry, this post made me :LOL:

If you really want to jump ship, then do it. I personally dont think its worth it, however you seem like your trying to come up with reasons to jump. This is why Stewarts post above made me laugh as its just proving that your looking for any excuse to move over to "them" :wacky:

Without meaning it you're right again Stewart. Centre point AF is fine, but those using the 5D II over at DWF are already saying it's another 'focus and recompose' camera and that the outer AF points remain useless for low-light/wedding work.

Seriously, having spent 2 seasons with 5D's and now a year with D3's there's no comparison whatsoever with regards to focus accuracy and consistency when using anything other than the centre point.

This is why I'm trying to find out exactly what Ray is after beyond the allure of FF.

This is why I'm trying to find out exactly what Ray is after beyond the allure of FF.

Just make a few things clear first, I like the Canon's UI (i can pick up a 5D in the shop and use it without a glance of the manual), i like its egonomics, I like Canon's lens line up, I have no problem with their build quality (people go on about Nikon built better).

The reasons of and if I jump over to Nikon are:-

Focusing
Price, save £500 on the D700 right there, I looked and the Nikon Glass is not that much different to Canon L Glass really
Higher FPS

The D700 seems like a better tool for the job i think, no doubt the 5D2 would do it as well, i just think the D700 could do it better, provided i can work out Nikon's controls.

I mean the above is only an idea, i am saving up to get the body first and when the time comes i would make the final decision then.

Nikon Glass is not that much different to Canon L Glass really

A generalistion but in my experience, Nikon zooms are better through the range from wide up to about 200mm. Canon has a much better prime selection.

A 14-24 or a 24-70 is better than any overlapping zoom in Canon's lens catalogue.

And much of the benefit of the lovely L primes is lost due to focus/recompose if you're using them wide or close to wide-open.

It took me a couple of months to stop over-shooting the same shot so I could be sure of having one in focus, again an oft-said issue.

Agreed - I'm a natural focus and re-composer, but shooting with something like a Sigma 30mm wide open, then re-composing with that shallow DoF is a challenge.

If you stick with canon, you still have the 50mm, and BG-E2. You'd need to take those off the final Canon price for a fairer comparison.

If you stick with canon, you still have the 50mm, and BG-E2. You'd need to take those off the final Canon price for a fairer comparison.

The 50mm may be, but not the grip, i wouldn't get the grip for the D90 as its just a backup.

Back