The demise of internet forums - apparently.

If a forum or social network is run by big business, they usually have a different aim from the users. They will do what they want.

But there are plenty of forums run by enthusiasts.

If there are really that many film buffs who want a forum, they'll find somewhere else who is grateful for their presence. But you can be sure the social network businesses are greedy to lure the people into their closed platforms. Where they will be at the mercy of big business again.

Last edited:
I was a member on a couple of kite sports forums between around 2006-2012, since then they've become much quieter places to be as most organising seems to be done via Facebook groups and events. It's a sad state of affairs in some ways as the forums were big, vibrant places. Not quite on the scale of TP, but still very busy.
The majority of us now have smartphones and each other's phone numbers, so a quick "going to the beach tomorrow?" text to the locals is a much quicker way to get things done!

I'm just greatful TP is alive and kicking as I don't do Arsebook.

Back in the day I used to use a forum called dotdragnet which catered for web developers in the early days of the tinternet.

I am not surprised by this at all. Many large forums and social media platforms are there for profit of the owners and not for our edutainment. So ultimately they will want to tidy up any aspects of their site that they think is not assisting that aim.

It's them paying the bills so I suppose they'll do what seems best for them economically. But it's when they spout the corporate BS of doing it to "enhance the customer experience" that I get annoyed. Why bother lying when we all know they are, and anyone in the company with an ounce of sense knows we know.

I never used the iMDB forums as they always felt like the preserve of a particular strain of trivia-spouting neckbeards who'd call you all sorts of names because you mentioned a model that was used in Bladerunner was made from a Matchbox kit when it was actually Airfix. I'm always happy to be corrected when I'm wrong but not so much when my parentage is called into question at the same time.

I imagine that's the customer experience they're referring to. When the forums are keeping people away more than they're attracting them, you either have to invest in moderation or close the forum.

Back