The dreaded Canon '00' error....

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been having a few problems with my Sigma 70-300 lately (the APO DG Macro version).

It started a couple of months ago while out, I turned my 350D on, and instead of the aperture displayed on the screen, it said 00, and nothing would work.
On advice, I turned the camera off, removed the lens, put it back, turned on again, and all was fine again.

However, yesterday, I got it FOUR times in the space of about 4 hours, re-negotiating the lens/contacts each time, and a power cycle, sorted it.

Also, at one point, I think I was in Aperture Priority mode, and I went to stop down/decrease the aperture (by rolling my wheel to the right), and it just wouldn't budge. I switched to Shutter Priority, and tried rolling the wheel to the right, and the shutter speed started decreasing (ie going the wrong way).
I turned the camera on and off, and it was fine again. (I thought the wheel might have been dodgy).

All with the same lens.
Has anyone had similar problems? Not just with this lens, mabe other lenses? I have never had the 00 or yesterdays wheel problem with my kit lens.

I suppose it might be that the contacts need cleaning?

By all accounts error 00 is not uncommon and can happen with all sorts of lenses but so far I have not found a definate answer or solution on the net.

Like Steep says - check theres no buildup of grime or any signs of oxidization on the contacts, thats the only thing I could think of that would cause these irregular types of problems.

ive had memory card problems but no lens ones?

Not had any problems like these......The only problem I can recall was the camera locking up whilst saving some photos, had to power cycle it by removing the battery and then it worked ok. That was about 7 months ago and have not had any problems since.

i always thought that error 99 was the lens related one ?? I get this one when i try a unchipped sigma lens on and change aperture to anything outwith the lens stated aperture.

Never had the 00 error problem with the 20D Ian, I never upgraded the firmware so I don't think I'll bother then in view of your experiences. I did the 1D firmware upgrade and so far... no probs.

I have had error 99 a couple of times. Once with the Tamron when I was pressing buttons during the noise cancelling wait and then with the 100-400 when the battery was getting low.
I have the latest firmware now and have not seen a problem again (yet)

Back