The dreaded DIET thread!

Well done @cymruchris - such an achievement and great write up. Thank you for sharing
I think I forgot to mention that I did this in Malaysia - officially Asia's most obese country - where they are mesmerised by deep fried food, and add sugar to everything :) (Thanks for your compliment) And it does show that if a lazy ass like me can do it - anyone can do it... It can be a slow, difficult start - but once the momentum gets going, you persevere until you reach your goals!

Whooooo!!!!!

Officially 3 stone lost now - or 42lb or 19kg! Took a while to shift the last bit after Xmas and a trip to the US. 1.5lb lost this week despite having a full roast on Sunday with goose fat and trimmings and a few puds like sticky toffee pud and crumbles!

From being tight (unwearable) on some XL stuff and just about ok on other XL stuff, I have a mainly L clothes with a few XL (Hollister) although these are loose, and even a couple of M Abercrombie hoodies!

You need to be careful - at this rate you might suddenly become fashionable!!!

(It's a downside actually - Having gone from XXL to medium - as mentioned above - I've had to change a complete wardrobe)

I used it for a few years to help lose weight. When I first started logging food, I was amazed at how many calories there were in food, and became aware of portion sizes. I then tried logging exercise. I was amazed at how much effort was required to burn off a Mars bar or similar. I'd been overestimating my calories burned through exercise and underestimating calories through food. It really is easier just to eat less.

Supposedly for a man of my height, weight and age, I'd need 2000 Calories a day. But if I ate that much, I'd put on weight. I worked out my magic figure was 1700 Calories. More than that and I'd put on weight, less than that and I'd lose weight.
I agree with you entirely. It really is an eye-opener looking at the calorie content of foods, especially pre-prepared or convenience foods. We were particularly surprised at the calorie content of Naan bread, we now tend to have 'mini' poppadoms instead if we are having a curry. In the past I have tried various diets but ended up becoming bored & miserable with being told what I couldn't eat.

I try to stick to my daily 'goal' of 1700 calories too, allowing myself the occasional drift for special occasions such as birthdays, but when I have gone over one day I try to compensate later in the week so I stay below my daily target on average over the week.

Started a tacked low carb diet as of Monday... Told ah lass that i could do a better job than slimming world so the pressure is on haha.

Out for a meal tonight so sent her the nutritional menu and told her she needs to stay under calories ;)

We were particularly surprised at the calorie content of Naan bread
Yup. I now have mini-naan breads. If going for a curry (or takeaway), I opt for tandoori roti which is a bit flatter but fewer calories than naan. I've never been a fan of rice.
Out for a meal tonight so sent her the nutritional menu and told her she needs to stay under calories ;)
It's much harder to keep calories low when eating out. I had a burger and fries yesterday (see WAMT) and the entire meal was the whole of my daily calories.

It's much harder to keep calories low when eating out. I had a burger and fries yesterday (see WAMT) and the entire meal was the whole of my daily calories.

Exactly, shes going for a prawn and crab linguine, which surprised me at around 700 Calories.
Mine will be buttermilk chicken with some sort of stuffed sausage which is coming in at around 900...

On a positive note, when on holiday a few years back we visited the North Cape in Norway & I bought a souvenir T-Shirt which was a tight fit then, now it is a loose fit....... and I have had to punch extra holes in my favourite leather belt. Wearing these items is a reminder of how much weight I have lost. My long term ambition is to get back to my weight when I was married, so I have another 20lb to go.

Back