The dreaded DIET thread!

... I've been 'cheating' a bit more, I had a box of Bulmers light cans last week, and more last night, I've had a few sneaky chips when we ordered take-away, had the odd handful of jellies, few squares of chocolate etc ... What I haven't done is touched any bread or pastries and have kept away from added sugar...
Wow, cider and jellies (whatever exactly they are) would be the worst,
a little good chocolate is never bad
and in my experience chips aren't too bad neither but make sure you have a big portion of fish with them, leaving as much batter for the bin as possible.
Good for you keeping off the bread and pastry!! Rice is a killer too.

and in my experience chips aren't too bad neither but make sure you have a big portion of fish with them, leaving as much batter for the bin as possible.

Edit : put real honey in tea or coffee.

Sounds good, will definitely look more into it. A good burger is another thing I miss, I can have all the fillings just not the bun, and though I've tried to make Keto-friendly buns, they are never even close.

To be fair, a wholemeal one is not as good as a proper brioche or ciabatta one - nothing to stop you having one, i think around 10 syns so would leave 4 for the day (although no harm in going over if you have great days either side).

Jelly sweets, they were dinosaurs! :D

When I stopped drinking the full sugar cider I started drinking vodka and diet sodas, turns out sugar free Cider is no worse so may as well have that. It doesn't taste anything near as good as the full sugar one, so I don't drink quite as much at least. On the Keto diet chips are pretty bad, as would the batter on fish be and honey os actually worse than sugar. It spikes insulin levels faster than real sugar, fructose in general is a no no on Keto, so until I switch for sure to another diet I have to avoid.

To be fair, a wholemeal one is not as good as a proper brioche or ciabatta one - nothing to stop you having one, i think around 10 syns so would leave 4 for the day (although no harm in going over if you have great days either side).

That is if I switch to SW or similar, on Keto the bun is a no-no too though

I will most likely just end up low card and continue intermittent fasting, I will relax it a little once I see some more progress, and then if it starts to swing back up I just go full on keto again, only takes a few days to get back into ketosis

... drinking vodka and diet sodas, turns out sugar free Cider is no worse so may as well have that. It doesn't taste anything near as good as the full sugar one, so I don't drink quite as much at least. On the Keto diet chips are pretty bad, as would the batter on fish be and honey os actually worse than sugar. It spikes insulin levels faster than real sugar, ...
Sounds like b*****ks to me.
Stop drinking and eating sweet things, you need to smash your sweet-things addiction and you are taking no steps towards that.
You are also nowhere near entering a ketogenic state so any advice regarding what's good or bad in keto is irrelevant at this point.
Also : there is no universe where honey is worse than sugar in any form for any purpose. Honey is the bees'-knees.

Sounds like b*****ks to me.
Stop drinking and eating sweet things, you need to smash your sweet-things addiction and you are taking no steps towards that.
You are also nowhere near entering a ketogenic state so any advice regarding what's good or bad in keto is irrelevant at this point.
Also : there is no universe where honey is worse than sugar in any form for any purpose. Honey is the bees'-knees.

It can sound all you like, that's the facts. Have you been reading the thread or are you just on a bit of a mouthy rant for the sake of it? I HAVE been in ketosis, just the last 2 weeks I strayed, look it you if you don't believe me, you seem to know sweet FA about the Keto diet. Appreciate you were trying to help but now you're about as helpful as a bowl of sugar

Check this list, honey has more cards than sugar, and Keto is a LOW CARB diet! Please don't advise on something you knw nowt about, that would be great https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/14-foods-to-avoid-on-low-carb#section11

Last edited:
...or cider, or diet sodas (we in merica already?) or jelly.
Post photos of your strips then. Thought not.

Strips ... lol, away with that, strips are what is "b******s" - I've lost 2 stone since I started, pretty sure I was in Ketosis. You're seriously nit picking my choice of words now? :D Did you get a bang on your head very recently? I used 'soda' so people who don't know what jellies are could understand. I mean you didn't even know honey had a tonne of carbs, I think i'll pass on any future advice you might spew tbh.

Today I weighed precisely 17.7 [Just over 2st since I began my little journey] even after that cider, and that handful of jellies, IF > a few slip ups.

Last edited:
Strips ... lol, away with that, strips are what is "b******s" - I've lost 2 stone since I started, pretty sure I was in Ketosis. .
Keto strips are a thing you wee on which give an indication of ketone levels in urine,
one of the few ways to detect whether you are in ketosis or not,
really not relevant to losing weight through calorie deficit. (I have no idea if I myself ever spent any time at all in ketosis, not relevant for me.)
We are on the same side (although an internet rant is fun), I'm trying to suggest to stay away from the cider, diet pop, bowls of jelly and bread-substitute stuff (and f*****g americanisms) to make it easier for you to eat real food and change to a permanent non-wheat non-sweet diet.
I'm sure I say some horrible things. Meh.

Keto strips are a thing you wee on which give an indication of ketone levels in urine,
one of the few ways to detect whether you are in ketosis or not,
really not relevant to losing weight through calorie deficit. (I have no idea if I myself ever spent any time at all in ketosis, not relevant for me.)
We are on the same side (although an internet rant is fun), I'm trying to suggest to stay away from the cider, diet pop, bowls of jelly and bread-substitute stuff (and f*****g americanisms) to make it easier for you to eat real food and change to a permanent non-wheat non-sweet diet.
I'm sure I say some horrible things. Meh.

I know what they are, I also know they're not reliable - they measure the ketones you are expelling! The best way to know is by testing the blood, but tbh, I know when I'm entering ketosis as I go through a bit of what they call 'Keto flu' - but it's probably more carb withdrawal. I'm also not really strict on how far in I get, so long as I'm keeping weight down I'm happy enough, I use the diet as a rough guide. This is why I have been pondering on just calling it low carb diet, but still using Keto as a guideline - It just gives me some form of discipline. Maybe I'll just start referring to it as just that, low carb.

As for rants, you're talking to the lord of them right here, but I'm trying to be good, been warned! An I'm certainly not going to ruin this thread with silly arguments. As for Yankisms, I would never actually utter the word "soda" in RL, but sometimes when I say fizzy drinks - someone will ask what I mean by that :rolleyes: can't please anyone it seems.

The light cider was a bit of a test, I kind of wanted to see how it would affect things [also I just really missed my cans of cider], and it did nothing ... no hangover, no weird shakes or light-headed brain fogginess like I experienced before after over doing carbs in the earlier days of it. It did me no worse than drinking too much coke zero. It's pretty much the same sweetener. I continued to drop a few lbs even after a good feed of it. The jelly sweets, well, I'm not actually much of a sweet tooth outside of sugary tea or coffee, so it's easy avoid that. I have been buying up dark chocolate, 85%, and just having a couple of squares here and there to make the non sugar tea more bearable. I have always been more the savoury type [some might say bitter! :D ] so it's been a lot harder avoid the rice, noodles, high carb sauces, pasta, bread ... especially breads! ... but I'm doing pretty good on that front, great even. I almost forget what bread tastes like.

It's 19:42 right now, an all I have had today was a creamed coffee and some ham and cheddar cheese, and that was at 3pm. Intermittent fasting is nowhere near as hard as I imagined it might be, if I'd tried it when I was a carb guzzler I might have thought I was going to die over night :D but now even when I do get hungry, I can fight it off easily, it passes within a few minutes. The fasting and keeping the carbs low are what has me losing weight, Keto-proper or not.

Had some of my world famous [in my mind!] chilli in the end, made enough do the others could use it for Burritos, I just had it with some sour cream, grated cheddar and some pickled gherkins - for the life of me I cannot understand why some people hate those. Ginger wine and whiskey? That sounds great!

17.6! Still going down, slowly but surely, even though I've not been the strictest about the diet. I am still doing IF, I guess you could call it an OMAD diet at this stage as I am only eating one proper meal per day atm. Snacking is also down to a min. I'm just not near as hungry as I used to be for the better part of the day, and even when the rumbles do kick in, I can ignore them a lot easier now. I have learned that hunger pangs do not increase, they remain the same and often pass as quick as they come.

Damn. Had a feeling this week would not be good! 1.25lb lost, was aiming for 3lb. Bit disappointed with that as been keeping well within syns.

On a positive did the Cambridge town and gown 10k on sat in 1:02:57. My only other official one was 10 mins slower a few years back. 9.56 per mile which delighted me as up till a few weeks ago had not got under that pace for 3 miles let alone 6.2

Weds night also went out for 3 miles and did 27.55 so happy with that. Shame about the stall in weight!!

17.6! Still going down, slowly but surely, even though I've not been the strictest about the diet. I am still doing IF, I guess you could call it an OMAD diet at this stage as I am only eating one proper meal per day atm. Snacking is also down to a min. I'm just not near as hungry as I used to be for the better part of the day, and even when the rumbles do kick in, I can ignore them a lot easier now. I have learned that hunger pangs do not increase, they remain the same and often pass as quick as they come.

It is funny that you do not feel as hungry after a while. I am finding that, a lot of over eating or excess snacking is down to habit.

It is funny that you do not feel as hungry after a while. I am finding that, a lot of over eating or excess snacking is down to habit.

A lot of it is definitely habit, I used to be a right fridge hog. I'd stand at the fridge picking at cold meats, cheese, desserts etc while I was thinking of what to have as a snack :D Now I'm more likely to have a couple pickles or some slices of cucumber while I'm pondering. I also find since I switched to sweeteners over sugar that I'm not having near as much tea or coffee, and that cuts down on the little snacks I used to have along with too.

Don't beat yourself up over not hitting targets, you still lost weight! You seem to be doing very well

Phew, was pleased to see that this week the loss was 4lb, so much better than last week. Haven't really done anything different, if anything have probably had a few more syns than previous week although still under limit. The 7 mile run on Sunday probably helped a bit too! So now 14st 7.5lb, Am not expecting to lose at that rate, I reckon 2lb per week is realistic, so in 6 weeks I would hope to be around 13st 9, which is a good 3 stone off in 3.5 months. If I can get closer to 13st5 or 6 then so much the better to offset Xmas!!

Phew, was pleased to see that this week the loss was 4lb, so much better than last week. Haven't really done anything different, if anything have probably had a few more syns than previous week although still under limit. The 7 mile run on Sunday probably helped a bit too! So now 14st 7.5lb, Am not expecting to lose at that rate, I reckon 2lb per week is realistic, so in 6 weeks I would hope to be around 13st 9, which is a good 3 stone off in 3.5 months. If I can get closer to 13st5 or 6 then so much the better to offset Xmas!!

NHS advice on maximum weight loss- "Between around 1lb and 2lb a week. Lose weight faster than this and you're at risk of health problems that include malnutrition and gallstones, as well as feeling tired and unwell"
You've now lost a lot of weight, if recall correctly. You should be feeling quite confident that you have the willpower to get down to a healthy weight. Always helps when you overcome that mental barrier that exists at the beginning of an attempt to lose weight.

Last edited:
Not updated this for a few weeks. Progress has been ok but slow. Since last post loss was 1.75, 2.25, 2 and 2.5lb. Considering I have had a few 'days off' it has not been too bad - once day I was out for a curry and also had a naan, popadoms and 2 pints. On Sat it was 5 JDs and a couple of other days in Nov I found myself having 20-30 syn days rather than 14. So now at 13.13, 4lb needed for 3 stone which was my goal for Dec 1st. Not going to do that but close enough not to be too upset. Have got another 2 weeks to go until I put on hold over Christmas so 2lb a week will get me to 13st9 which would be bang on 3 stone.

While I have slipped a little (mainly in the bread/cereal/cereal bar) I am not eating anywhere near the amount of junk I did so confident that habits have changed a bit. Downside is that some of my clothes look awful now (although I have a few barely worn items that I bought a few years ago which now fit). Looks like a wardrobe update at end of Jan is on the cards. Ideally I would like to get down to 13stone or just below by start of Feb.

Christmas is coming up and neglecting mince pies, chocolates and Xmas tipples is psychologically much worse that following a restricted diet,
so MERRY YULE and get thin again in February!
:hungover:

I pretty much stopped anything resembling tracking my diet, I just continue to keep check on the carbs, still off all sugar, but not being so careful as I was in the beginning. It becomes habit to opt for the right foods and snacks, I would have to very intentionally choose something to throw me off this diet. My shopping list has evolved and it's become second nature to go to certain aisles to pick up the stuff I need. I'm at 17.2 which is the lightest I've been since starting this diet, slow progress but progress nonetheless.

For Christmas I will be less strict, if only on the day, I'm having some stuffing and that's that! :p

Last edited:
Thought the New Year would have seen a load of people starting diets!!!

Not much progress for me which is both good and bad! I did get down to around 13st 11 pre Xmas which was close to 3 stone off but made the decision to enjoy myself over the period and to eat what I wanted. I did, and despite still being good some of the time, managed to clock in at start of Jan with a 6lb gain! Oh, well, got back in the saddle but had a week in the US which meant I did slack again. But despite eating some very bad food, I am currently around 13st 13lb or 14st so has been ok considering! Also, did a 10 mile run on Sat which should help!

Basically put everything on I lost last year after I did my knee in again.

Was planning on re-joining slimming world if I couldn't shift some weight by March.. but ah lass went in the other week to weigh and the consultant asked her if she was pregnant before weighing in and then told her that she'd put on 5.5lbs (which we know was an issue with the scales as we always weigh at home before hand and she hadn't gained), she was in bits!

So i'm getting us slim by low carb calorie deficit like i know how to!

Basically put everything on I lost last year after I did my knee in again.

Was planning on re-joining slimming world if I couldn't shift some weight by March.. but ah lass went in the other week to weigh and the consultant asked her if she was pregnant before weighing in and then told her that she'd put on 5.5lbs (which we know was an issue with the scales as we always weigh at home before hand and she hadn't gained), she was in bits!

So i'm getting us slim by low carb calorie deficit like i know how to!

I have never attended a SW meeting, very easy to do on your own, although I guess some people like the weighing in thing.

I have never attended a SW meeting, very easy to do on your own, although I guess some people like the weighing in thing.

She kept going to them to weigh as the fear of weighing in and putting on was a motivation and she didn't want to be a "Fat Bride" her words not mine lol.

Got 7 weeks to prove to her I can do a better job of getting weight shifted off or she'll find a new group.

I've kept to the Keto diet, even through Christmas , new year and the few birthday parties in between [a bunch in January!] - I managed to clock 16/10 on the scales, it's swinging between that and 17.1 mostly, seems to depend on the day that's in it - some days I fast for longer, others I can't stop eating but it's all Keto friendly foods.

Good luck for the rest of the year ahead all who are trying, it's not easy, but it doesn't have to be depressing either :)

Well after being unwell whilst abroad and having IBS-type symptoms for a week now, I've hardly eaten much over those two weeks. Which means I've lost 3kg and 2cm off my waist.

I've been "dieting" since New Year but I just discovered this thread.

I'm 5'7" / 171 cm, and over the last 8 years my weight has gone up and down between about 13-14½st / 82-92 kg. But last year it had been trending slowly upwards, and after New Year I was 14 st 8¼ lb / 92.6 kg, and I thought enough is enough, I need to do something about this.

Over the time frame I've been keeping an eye on it (since 2011), my BMI has been in the range of about 28 to 31.5. The "recommended" BMI range is 20 to 25, and given my height that would require a weight of 9-11½ st / 58-73 kg. However I'm quite solidly built - broad shoulders, heavy muscles - and realistically I don't think that's either practical or desirable. But still, I think somewhere around 12-12½ st / 75-80 kg ought to be possible and I'm sure I'll feel better around that weight than I have been recently. And I decided that I'm not in a particular hurry; I'd rather lose weight slowly and steadily - 1-2 lbs / ½-1 kg a month would be fine - if it meant that it could be sustainable. I've seen too many people (including me!) lose weight, and then put it all back on when they reached their target weight and "came off the diet". So if I can make my "diet" feel as unlike a diet as possible, then hopefully it won't be too hard to stay on track in the longer term.

So anyway on January 2nd I joined Slimming World online. I can't be arsed to go to the weekly meetings - I did that once before and I hated it - but my theory was that the discipline of keeping a food diary, plus totting up every day how good or bad I've been, ought to be all the support I will need. If that turns out to be mistaken, well I can always sign up to go to the meetings.

And so far, so good! Actually too good, and I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I should slacken off a bit. As of today I'm at 13 st 9¾ lbs / 87.0 kg, which means I'm down 12½ lbs / 5.6 kg on my New Year weight, and if I carry on losing weight at this rate I'll hit my 12 st target by the end of May. That's much faster than I planned. I do vaguely worry whether that will make me vulnerable to the "coming off the diet" mentality at some point, but the glass-half-full viewpoint is that I do seem to be able to lose weight if I put my mind to it.

I'm getting back into the habit of using MFP to track calories, not tracking exercise on it. So just eating at a 15% calorie deficit + doing Crossfit a few times a week for the last 6 months or so.

Fat slowly coming off, but also building a lot more strength and muscle from the crossfit.

I've been "dieting" since New Year but I just discovered this thread.

I'm 5'7" / 171 cm, and over the last 8 years my weight has gone up and down between about 13-14½st / 82-92 kg. But last year it had been trending slowly upwards, and after New Year I was 14 st 8¼ lb / 92.6 kg, and I thought enough is enough, I need to do something about this.

Over the time frame I've been keeping an eye on it (since 2011), my BMI has been in the range of about 28 to 31.5. The "recommended" BMI range is 20 to 25, and given my height that would require a weight of 9-11½ st / 58-73 kg. However I'm quite solidly built - broad shoulders, heavy muscles - and realistically I don't think that's either practical or desirable. But still, I think somewhere around 12-12½ st / 75-80 kg ought to be possible and I'm sure I'll feel better around that weight than I have been recently. And I decided that I'm not in a particular hurry; I'd rather lose weight slowly and steadily - 1-2 lbs / ½-1 kg a month would be fine - if it meant that it could be sustainable. I've seen too many people (including me!) lose weight, and then put it all back on when they reached their target weight and "came off the diet". So if I can make my "diet" feel as unlike a diet as possible, then hopefully it won't be too hard to stay on track in the longer term.

So anyway on January 2nd I joined Slimming World online. I can't be arsed to go to the weekly meetings - I did that once before and I hated it - but my theory was that the discipline of keeping a food diary, plus totting up every day how good or bad I've been, ought to be all the support I will need. If that turns out to be mistaken, well I can always sign up to go to the meetings.

And so far, so good! Actually too good, and I'm starting to wonder if perhaps I should slacken off a bit. As of today I'm at 13 st 9¾ lbs / 87.0 kg, which means I'm down 12½ lbs / 5.6 kg on my New Year weight, and if I carry on losing weight at this rate I'll hit my 12 st target by the end of May. That's much faster than I planned. I do vaguely worry whether that will make me vulnerable to the "coming off the diet" mentality at some point, but the glass-half-full viewpoint is that I do seem to be able to lose weight if I put my mind to it.

Well done. I did exactly the same, no meetings, just used the app and followed the plan. It looks like you are losing around 2lb a week which is probably about right. I did lose at a faster rate initially (often 3 or 4lb but I was 5ft 8 and 16st 8 or so, plenty to lose!). It is common to lose weight more at the start and then more slowly. Keep going exactly as you are, although it gives you some comfort knowing that if you fancy a few beers Friday or some treat, it will probably mean you only lose 1lb or maybe break even.

I did go for it over Xmas, quite a bit and did pile on a few pounds but managed to go to the US the other week and ate what I wanted and only put on around 1 lb.

I am being a bit more flexible than before, on Sat in theory I did something like 30 syns as I had a bigger portion of porridge in the morning as well as a sandwich and hula hoops at lunch, but I did go for an 11 mile run which I reckon cancelled that lot out (and the rest, my app said 1600 calories!)

Over a couple of years my weight crept up until I reached a peak of around 16 and a half stone / 105kg at 5'10/175cm. I wasn't very active, and ate way too much junk. My diet wasn't healthy, my exercise levels were way too low, and as a result my XXL sized clothes were becoming too tight. I needed to do something! I felt like I didn't want to go to a gym, as I knew all the fit people would be staring at the fatty in the room, and living in Malaysia, the supply of healthy food isn't exactly easy to come by.

I bought an Apple watch back in 2016 - and every single day I was missing my move/exercise and stand goals by a country mile.

In August 2017 I spotted someone selling a high spec treadmill that was pretty much brand new - an all-singing all-dancing quality one that would have set you back around £1000, for £200 - I snapped his hand off almost - and a friend helped me get it home.

The first day I set foot on that treadmill I took over 20 minutes to complete a kilometre - but complete it I did.

I then went out and bought a bluetooth phone linked weighing scales - one that would populate the data on my phone, so that I couldn't 'cheat' - not that I wanted to.

So - apple watch recording my data - scales recording my weight - I spent 30 minutes on that treadmill every day - without fail - no excuses (unless I was physically away from home travelling - and then I 'd work out an alternative.)

I then cut away breads, rice, pasta and potato from my diet - and introduced mainly salads with grilled chicken, beef or fish... I cut my calorie intake to below 1500 a day. Most days I managed to keep below 1200 - and at least once a week I stayed below a 1000. I didn't cut out chocolate and biscuits - but I did make a change - in that previously I would eat the whole packet in one go - and now I kept them in plastic containers, and a packet would last me a week or more. (Always aiming to keep below 1500).

I did like Coke and equivalent sugar drinks (I don't drink tea or coffee and find water quite boring) and so I did move to Diet Cokes etc - sugar free with sweetener - people say it's a bad move - but I managed it ok.

I upped my intake of real fruit - rock melon and pineapple being in plentiful supply in my part of the world.

As the days passed, the weeks, the months, the weight began to fall... Initially it was around 1 - 1.5kg a week, and as the body shape got slimmer, it slowed to around 0.5-1.0 kg a week.

I started that journey in Aug 17 - by Jun 18 - I had reached 68kg/10st10. I had managed to lose around 37kg - more than one third of my body weight in less than a year.

Now I can RUN on the treadmill and I'm able to complete a kilometre in under five and a half minutes, and yesterday reached 7km for the first time (and I didn't feel completely dead at the end).

I've had to get rid of a whole wardrobe of clothes - and replace them with all new (which has actually cost quite a bit but worth it) - I was size XXL - now I am size S or M depending on the brand. I was size 38-40 inch waist trousers - now I'm size 30.

In summary - for me - increased exercise - reduced calories - that's what worked for me.

Anyone starting the journey now - I'd certainly recommend a bluetooth scales along with an activity tracking watch of some kind. Set yourself targets and do your utmost to stick to them. There were some pretty tough days along the way - but with the technology - if I had a bad day - ate too much - and saw the weight begin to rise - it spurred me on to focus again, and maintain the loss.

It's now Feb 18 - and I'm still holding at 68-69kg - my fitness level has improved - and people say I look younger and healthier. I still control my diet - and still use that darned treadmill every single day. The pattern is such that I'm used to these routines now - and although I still feel I have work to do - I'm very pleased with my progress. For me, technology drove me towards my goal - it may not work for everyone - but it worked for me.

To put it bluntly - if a lazy ass like me could do it - really - anyone can.
A4DF6A4D-9E65-4C0E-B3A6-7A20D9BF2ABC 2.JPGE9BF61A9-1CC4-4F17-A60F-05684AB0EB09 2.JPG

Over a couple of years my weight crept up until I reached a peak of around 16 and a half stone / 105kg at 5'10/175cm. I wasn't very active, and ate way too much junk. My diet wasn't healthy, my exercise levels were way too low, and as a result my XXL sized clothes were becoming too tight. I needed to do something! I felt like I didn't want to go to a gym, as I knew all the fit people would be staring at the fatty in the room, and living in Malaysia, the supply of healthy food isn't exactly easy to come by.

I bought an Apple watch back in 2016 - and every single day I was missing my move/exercise and stand goals by a country mile.

In August 2017 I spotted someone selling a high spec treadmill that was pretty much brand new - an all-singing all-dancing quality one that would have set you back around £1000, for £200 - I snapped his hand off almost - and a friend helped me get it home.

The first day I set foot on that treadmill I took over 20 minutes to complete a kilometre - but complete it I did.

I then went out and bought a bluetooth phone linked weighing scales - one that would populate the data on my phone, so that I couldn't 'cheat' - not that I wanted to.

So - apple watch recording my data - scales recording my weight - I spent 30 minutes on that treadmill every day - without fail - no excuses (unless I was physically away from home travelling - and then I 'd work out an alternative.)

I then cut away breads, rice, pasta and potato from my diet - and introduced mainly salads with grilled chicken, beef or fish... I cut my calorie intake to below 1500 a day. Most days I managed to keep below 1200 - and at least once a week I stayed below a 1000. I didn't cut out chocolate and biscuits - but I did make a change - in that previously I would eat the whole packet in one go - and now I kept them in plastic containers, and a packet would last me a week or more. (Always aiming to keep below 1500).

I did like Coke and equivalent sugar drinks (I don't drink tea or coffee and find water quite boring) and so I did move to Diet Cokes etc - sugar free with sweetener - people say it's a bad move - but I managed it ok.

I upped my intake of real fruit - rock melon and pineapple being in plentiful supply in my part of the world.

As the days passed, the weeks, the months, the weight began to fall... Initially it was around 1 - 1.5kg a week, and as the body shape got slimmer, it slowed to around 0.5-1.0 kg a week.

I started that journey in Aug 17 - by Jun 18 - I had reached 68kg/10st10. I had managed to lose around 37kg - more than one third of my body weight in less than a year.

Now I can RUN on the treadmill and I'm able to complete a kilometre in under five and a half minutes, and yesterday reached 7km for the first time (and I didn't feel completely dead at the end).

I've had to get rid of a whole wardrobe of clothes - and replace them with all new (which has actually cost quite a bit but worth it) - I was size XXL - now I am size S or M depending on the brand. I was size 38-40 inch waist trousers - now I'm size 30.

In summary - for me - increased exercise - reduced calories - that's what worked for me.

Anyone starting the journey now - I'd certainly recommend a bluetooth scales along with an activity tracking watch of some kind. Set yourself targets and do your utmost to stick to them. There were some pretty tough days along the way - but with the technology - if I had a bad day - ate too much - and saw the weight begin to rise - it spurred me on to focus again, and maintain the loss.

It's now Feb 18 - and I'm still holding at 68-69kg - my fitness level has improved - and people say I look younger and healthier. I still control my diet - and still use that darned treadmill every single day. The pattern is such that I'm used to these routines now - and although I still feel I have work to do - I'm very pleased with my progress. For me, technology drove me towards my goal - it may not work for everyone - but it worked for me.

To put it bluntly - if a lazy ass like me could do it - really - anyone can.
View attachment 237729View attachment 237730

That's a fantastic achievement!

I'm hovering around the 90kg mark at the moment, want to shift at least another ten.

Shame wine is so nice, and cheese.

That's a fantastic achievement!

I'm hovering around the 90kg mark at the moment, want to shift at least another ten.

Shame wine is so nice, and cheese.

Maybe you could drink wine and eat cheese whilst pounding a treadmill? :) It's a challenge though, it really is. To reduce intake of things we are addicted to (Like) and to increase activity. Everyone can do it - all at different paces - but you just have to work out what works for you. The simple maths at the end of the day are that we need to burn more than we take in. So if you can work out your best way to achieve that - you'll be on the right track.

Maybe you could drink wine and eat cheese whilst pounding a treadmill? :) It's a challenge though, it really is. To reduce intake of things we are addicted to (Like) and to increase activity. Everyone can do it - all at different paces - but you just have to work out what works for you. The simple maths at the end of the day are that we need to burn more than we take in. So if you can work out your best way to achieve that - you'll be on the right track.

Yep, completely agree :)

I find for me, if I'm not too strict with myself it's a lot easier. So if I allow myself a day off a week (some weeks I won't use it) I find it pretty easy. Whereas if I try to stick to the regime too strictly, I fall off the wagon easier.

I am not into strenuous exercise but have managed to lose 42lb in 12 months by managing my calorie intake using MyFitnessPal on my phone. I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle being retired but I eat & drink whatever I want each day as long as I stay within my calorie target. I linked MyFitnessPal to a FitBit which tracks steps & activity, this allows me to 'earn' extra calories.

I am not into strenuous exercise but have managed to lose 42lb in 12 months by managing my calorie intake using MyFitnessPal on my phone.
I used it for a few years to help lose weight. When I first started logging food, I was amazed at how many calories there were in food, and became aware of portion sizes. I then tried logging exercise. I was amazed at how much effort was required to burn off a Mars bar or similar. I'd been overestimating my calories burned through exercise and underestimating calories through food. It really is easier just to eat less.

Supposedly for a man of my height, weight and age, I'd need 2000 Calories a day. But if I ate that much, I'd put on weight. I worked out my magic figure was 1700 Calories. More than that and I'd put on weight, less than that and I'd lose weight.

Whooooo!!!!!

Officially 3 stone lost now - or 42lb or 19kg! Took a while to shift the last bit after Xmas and a trip to the US. 1.5lb lost this week despite having a full roast on Sunday with goose fat and trimmings and a few puds like sticky toffee pud and crumbles!

From being tight (unwearable) on some XL stuff and just about ok on other XL stuff, I have a mainly L clothes with a few XL (Hollister) although these are loose, and even a couple of M Abercrombie hoodies!

Back