The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I don't want to turn this into a Sony thread but don't they have great lenses?

They have great ff lenses but you can easily use them on there crop bodies

They absolutely do have great lenses, for FF. You don’t really want to buy APS-C to then stick massive FF lenses on it. That’s what puts me of the A6500, probably the only thing.

But yeah, Fuji make great lenses.

Last edited:
Won't buy if they have.

Looks very nice indeed.
Ditto. Good spec, good price (don't think the China manufacture is a bad thing any more) - but the IBIS finally swung me to the X-H1 and I'm smitten.

Fuji have staked their business on the X-Trans sensor they have developed and continue to develop. That's their business decision. Some people like it, some don't. That's life. (I do, for what it's worth, which is practically nothing)

If discussions on the huge Fuji X wedding groups etc are anything to go by, glass is more important than new bodies at this point (I also strongly agree).

Since the X-T2 (arguably the X-T1) the bodies have easily been outperforming the likes of the 18mm f2, 35mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2 in terms of AF speed, the 23mm 1.4 is borderline. Those are some fairly core focal prime lengths right there.

The professional user base has grown dramatically (I think faster than Fuji would have expected) but lens design/production has slowed significantly since the medium format launch. The 33mm will tick the boxes I'm sure, but a linear motor or two in refreshed versions of their fast primes wouldn't go amiss at this point. Otherwise, unless you are a zoom shooter, there is a lot of untapped potential in the latest bodies.

So, my local Jessops have the X-T2 for £900 or do I preorder an X-T3 for £1300. Need to figure out what the XTrans4 offers above and beyond the 3 - can anyone with more tech knowledge than me explain the benefits of it being a backlit sensor?
Well, I don't really know. What I do know is that it would take more than a sensor improvement to improve my shots. Perhaps auto-composition? Or teleportation for instant transport to the right location at the right time in the right weather? :D

So, my local Jessops have the X-T2 for £900 or do I preorder an X-T3 for £1300. Need to figure out what the XTrans4 offers above and beyond the 3 - can anyone with more tech knowledge than me explain the benefits of it being a backlit sensor?

Better ISO performance I'd imagine, not sure what else, better DR maybe? I'd wait to see official reviews

Well, I don't really know. What I do know is that it would take more than a sensor improvement to improve my shots. Perhaps auto-composition? Or teleportation for instant transport to the right location at the right time in the right weather? :D
Oh, and a cure for GAS.

Amen to that brother..

The backlit sensor moves some of the electronic gubbins further behind the light capturing part, this in theory should increase sensitivity (helps high density sensors achieve decent low light capability), it may also improve dynamic range - but interesting Fujifilm are not shouting about this, so maybe its not changed from the X-T2

With regard to buying X-T2 v X-T3, The X-T2 is still a great camera, the trade in bonus of £200 (for qualifying cameras may help to swing it to the X-T3, but it may be a sop to the retailers as the bottom fell out of the X-T1 market when the X-T2 was released, and many traders caught a bit of a cold with the trade in prices they offered on an X-T1, remember WEX had over 55 second users X-T1's at one point, and I know of some dealers who still haven't flogged their Trade-In X-T1's from the X-T2 launch date).

So I would expect X-T2 trade in prices to be low ball on that basis, but those that act fast 'may' get the best deal.

For info a typical X-T1 trade in price when the X-T2 was launched was £400-£450 and there was a £100 trade in bonus at the time, so I would expect that within a month or so, £400 is going to be about your lot with regard to an X-T2 trade in.

With regards to image quality and handling, you will get better and faster focusing, better DR, better ISO but obviously it's too early to tell.

You will also get a better battery life, a touch screen, a better EVF, %100 focus point coverage, extra 2 megapixels.

Hmm, £1700 for the kit on Wex, 0% finance and £200 cash back fro trading in another dslr. I think I need to hide my cards and cut my internet connection before I do something silly.

Last edited:
Body only price is attractive until you factor in a grip + 2 batteries if you need / want the grip.

Be interesting to see how sales go vs the XH-1

Unless I’ve got it wrong body + grip + 2 extra batteries = circa £1750 vs current deals floating around for the XH-1 with grip kit at just over £1500 if you shop around UK dealers. Of course this may be a temporary discount subsidised by Fuji to reduce inventory on the XH-1.

Personally I’m torn on grips, bit of a love hate relationship with them.

Reactions: LC2
The good news on the grip is that it's not required this time out for any 'boost' - just a standard battery grip, though it seems battery life is p*** poor.

The good news on the grip is that it's not required this time out for any 'boost' - just a standard battery grip, though it seems battery life is p*** poor.
People said that about the XH-1 but I get 900-1000 shots on one battery, I turn off in between shots if I know I’ve got 60 secs+ to the next one as it fires up again so quickly.

People said that about the XH-1 but I get 900-1000 shots on one battery, I turn off in between shots if I know I’ve got 60 secs+ to the next one as it fires up again so quickly.

I'm going by the DPR preview, Chris Nichols said he went through 5 batteries when testing in no time .

I'm going by the DPR preview, Chris Nichols said he went through 5 batteries when testing in no time .
Probably did, I think it’s natural to just leave things on these days, can’t remember the last time I shut down a computer, we have become lazy and too reliant on technology.

Probably did, I think it’s natural to just leave things on these days, can’t remember the last time I shut down a computer, we have become lazy and too reliant on technology.

Can't disagree there, I rarely ever use the battery of my laptop, because it's drained over time and now only lasts about 25mins tops ... [I have bought 3 over it's lifespan, not bothered buying another] I just leave it plugged in all the time, it's basically a desktop. It's a 17" and weight about 3KG so it was never the most portable anyway. But we do take things for granted, we panic when we can't find our phone, or when the wi-fi goes down for like 5 seconds :D and we expect batteries to last for days

Ditto. Good spec, good price (don't think the China manufacture is a bad thing any more) - but the IBIS finally swung me to the X-H1 and I'm smitten.

Me too Sir, after using the X-H1 for a while and that really good IBIS I’m not interested in anything without it.(y)

George.

Seems video shooters will love the XT3, bar the non fully articulating screen [puzzling why Fuji did that with the XT100 and not the XT3]

I am liking the Fuji XT-3 :D

I'm so-so on it, I was waiting for this to see if it might lure me back to Fuji, but I can't say it's really exciting me. I would of course wait to see actual reviews rather than just go by these early previews, see how the ISO is and get a better look at the more stills based features. Thus far it seems everyone is all about the improved video capabilities, and that doesn't interest me too much.

Time for a glass cabinet extension ? :D
Not yet, but I am watching Fuji closely..... their lens line-up is great.
What they need is a Sony A9 APS-C body retaining all the Fuji body design, GUI, build and customer service.

I am thinking..... if the Fuji XF lenses covered a bigger image circle than APS-C but won't cover FF, what's stopping Fuji from putting in a custom sensor to use every last bit of the lenses capacity?
Maybe a sensor sitting in between APS-C and FF :D

I am thinking..... if the Fuji XF lenses covered a bigger image circle than APS-C but won't cover FF, what's stopping Fuji from putting in a custom sensor to use every last bit of the lenses capacity?
Maybe a sensor sitting in between APS-C and FF :D
Canon used an APS-H sensor in their Canon 1D Mark IV which sat between a full frame sensor and an APS-C sensor.

"Sports finder mode" function is newly installed. Blackout-free high-speed continuous shooting at the maximum speed of 30 frames per second is possible within a frame equivalent to 16.6 million pixels (1.25 times crop)
Woah.... like the Sony A9....... blackout-free shooting is great! :D

If the improved eye/ face detection was on a par with Sony would you switch or would it be an addition to the kit bag ?

Narh, I will forever addicted to the bokeh on FF.

The Fuji is just my toy, although I’ve been using the X-T1 at work this week...ps photos of stills for products which I can retake a million times so don’t need dual card :p

But I like better AF for sure. Other than that the X-T1 is fine, especially I paid £300 for it.

Wex have already dropped the T2 p/x price from £590 to £550 in 3 hours ( exc trade in bonus), probably inundated with pre-orders from T2 owners LOL

Seems video shooters will love the XT3, bar the non fully articulating screen [puzzling why Fuji did that with the XT100 and not the XT3]

Just watched that over lunch. Looks good although it seems most development has gone on under the surface with the AF and processor side of things so will be interesting to see full reviews at a later date. I really like Chris and Jordan's videos, watched TCSTV for a while before DPR. But.... Is it just me or does Chris mention a few 'improvements' that are actually identical to the X-T2? Twin UHSII slots and USB charging etc and I'm sure there were others.

Back