The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

The 90mm is special lens (as is the 16mm F1.4)

The bokeh on this 90mm is just so smooth, I only wish it would focus a little closer without tubes.

A good friend has asked if I'll take some shots of his baby in the next few weeks so it will be a chance to dig out my studio lights and work with them on the Fuji gear for the first time and the 90 will be great for that.

They are definitely keepers, need to find a keeper in between, the 23mm F1.4 is great but I’ve never found either of the 35s, or the 50/56 to be as special as the 16/90

I love the 35 f1.4. Sure it's a bit slow to focus, but I love what it produces. When you get stuff like this I don't see how you can't love it....

DSCF4218 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I love the 35 f1.4. Sure it's a bit slow to focus, but I love what it produces. When you get stuff like this I don't see how you can't love it....

I didn’t really gel with the 35mm F1.4, I had one for about 3 years, but it hardly came out of the bag (same with X100-TCL), maybe it’s just a focal length thing, or maybe I should try another one!!

They are definitely keepers, need to find a keeper in between, the 23mm F1.4 is great but I’ve never found either of the 35s, or the 50/56 to be as special as the 16/90

I'm struggling to like the 35F2 tbh, there's nothing wrong with the build quality or general IQ, it's a cool dinky little thing that seems well designed and I like that it's got WR - But ... so far it's been a frustrating one for me. The focus breathing is worse than any review on it ever suggested, it is useless for video AF. It's not great in low light for stills either I find and the close focusing distance is mediocre. They should have matched the 1.4 in that respect, I was going to get that as I enjoyed it when I had it. Besides the chugging and AF noise, it was sharp wide open and had that better CFD. But with the weather we've been having I thought WR would be nice to have on at least one lens. And it is nice to just not care when you do fancy shooting a bit in the rain

I have a Canon 50 1.8 too and tbh, besides the Fuji having nicer contrast and colour handling, the 50mm is more fun in use and I hate that fact. No weird breathing in and out when trying to focus. Even if it hunts now and then in lower light it doesn't do that irritating warp effect when trying to focus and has the same CFD but being a 50mm, it's easier get that subject separation when desired

I really like the look of the 90mm, but I'm not sure I'd use the FL all that much - I would end up slapping a Raynox on it and using it as a macro mostly - kind of a waste of such a nice lens. I have the Canon 85mm which is very good, at least from F2 onward [a lot of purple fringing at 1.8] by 2.8 it is tack, and has very pleasing rendition. But I've barely used it because it's so tight for indoors. It's also not sealed so I've not had it out when raining, which we're getting plenty of atm. That will change hopefully

When I traded the 16 f1.4 for the 90, I thought I'd regret it, but actually, it's opened up a new world for me. I do think that any true "Fujista" should have both in their bag though, and I will be picking another 16 f1.4 up at some point. Add a set of tubes and the 90 becomes the 80mm Macro (OK, doesn't have IS), and it's another versatile lens. Not a great image but I used it to shoot this female Stag Beetle as it emerged from the ground. I had it in the bag while out birding yesterday. I was in a rush, the beetle came up on the path and there were a couple of dog walkers approaching, the last thing I wanted was a dog to grab it. But it's just not a portrait lens, I've shot some geese on it too.

stag by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Edit: That's weird, the image isn't showing, but when I hit edit, there it is... Done it twice now. Strange

Last edited:
I didn’t really gel with the 35mm F1.4, I had one for about 3 years, but it hardly came out of the bag (same with X100-TCL), maybe it’s just a focal length thing, or maybe I should try another one!!
Nah you need to stop fannying around and shell out £20k on that new ugly medium format beast and a few lenses :p

Did anyone get a e- mail from Wex with the £50 off fuji lens voucher?
Just been to open day at London and you can use that on top of the open day savings.
16mm f1.4 for £536 after you claim the cashback.

Yes I did, these are targeted emails and depend on your browsing behaviour on their web site ( so been looking at lenses have we...), the code is linked to the order email address.

I spoke with someone at Wex about these after I got sent £1000 off s GFX50S (when it was at original price)

So in a nutshell codes won’t work for all, as it needs to be linked!!

And just get that 16mm bought

Yes I did, these are targeted emails and depend on your browsing behaviour on their web site ( so been looking at lenses have we...), the code is linked to the order email address.

I spoke with someone at Wex about these after I got sent £1000 off s GFX50S (when it was at original price)

So in a nutshell codes won’t work for all, as it needs to be linked!!

And just get that 16mm bought
I have :). The e mail was nicely timed for me i was planning to get one today but the extra £50 was a bonus.

If I didn't have the 80, I would have gone for it, for sure. But for now I'm happy with my 14, 23, 56 and 80 :)

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. Would you trade an X-T2 for an X-H1? I'm torn as I love the T2 but am missing the IBIS for the longer lenses.

TIA

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. Would you trade an X-T2 for an X-H1? I'm torn as I love the T2 but am missing the IBIS for the longer lenses.

TIA

I have considered it, especially for my handheld wildlife work, but then most of my lenses already have IS. I do however suffer with the shakes now & again and do wonder if IBIS would help when using my primes.

Personally, I would not bother until the H series catch up with the T3s focusing ability, but that's just because I want the better AF-C that the T3 provides.

Hey Guys,

TIA

Just sold my T2 and considering an H1 myself - I think I'll wait until I see if Fuji are going to carry on with the H series or just incorporate the IBIS into the T range. The way these cameras plummet in value has made me far more discerning

Just sold my T2 and considering an H1 myself - I think I'll wait until I see if Fuji are going to carry on with the H series or just incorporate the IBIS into the T range. The way these cameras plummet in value has made me far more discerning

I agree sadly, I’m not looking too change Brand, so my thinking is one Camera with IBIS one without. Keeping the T3 as the auto focus is so good and video and then selling the T1 & T2 to fund the H1. The H1 will help with the 10-24 & 16-55 as the both non OIS.

The 10-24's OIS is pretty good I thought [emoji848]
I agree sadly, I’m not looking too change Brand, so my thinking is one Camera with IBIS one without. Keeping the T3 as the auto focus is so good and video and then selling the T1 & T2 to fund the H1. The H1 will help with the 10-24 & 16-55 as the both non OIS.

My Apologies Ian, don't know what made me think the 10-24 didn't have OIS. :giggle:

Hey Guys,

TIA

Before I tried the T2, I got touchy feely with an H1, and didn`t like it at all (It just didn`t feel right for me). Now if they could squeeze IBIS into a T4 ;)

Before I tried the T2, I got touchy feely with an H1, and didn`t like it at all (It just didn`t feel right for me). Now if they could squeeze IBIS into a T4 ;)

If they do, the body is certainly going to be thicker

If they do, the body is certainly going to be thicker

One of my reasons for the T2, coming from Nikon D810, was the size and weight. T2 just felt more natural in my hands, but everyone is of course, different.

One of my reasons for the T2, coming from Nikon D810, was the size and weight. T2 just felt more natural in my hands, but everyone is of course, different.

I went straight from the D800 to the XT1 a few years back for the same reasons. But after then switching to M43 for about 1.5 yrs I got a good taste for IBIS, it is just so useful to me. I'd have been happy with the XT2 though if I only used lenses with OIS. But as I like to adapt lenses a lot the IBIS is just too useful to miss out on. I much prefer the feel of the H1 - it is as big as I will go with a camera though

Last edited:
Last edited:
This one is kit lens with raynox 250, handheld, forgot my tripod. I have to thank Dave70D for the raynox, still getting used to it.
DSCF1317.jpg

and a floral creation

DSCF1301 by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Last edited:
The bokeh on this 90mm is just so smooth, I only wish it would focus a little closer without tubes.

A good friend has asked if I'll take some shots of his baby in the next few weeks so it will be a chance to dig out my studio lights and work with them on the Fuji gear for the first time and the 90 will be great for that.

DSCF4218 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Really like that, its stunning.

I went straight from the D800 to the XT1 a few years back for the same reasons. But after then switching to M43 for about 1.5 yrs I got a good taste for IBIS, it is just so useful to me. I'd have been happy with the XT2 though if I only used lenses with OIS. But as I like to adapt lenses a lot the IBIS is just too useful to miss out on. I much prefer the feel of the H1 - it is as big as I will go with a camera though

I`ve never had anything with IBIS, so maybe I`m lucky as in, I won`t miss what I`ve never had ... Admittidly I do ramp the iso to get the shutter speed up a bit, being I`m old and (at times) a little shakey ;)

I got some belters from Sheffield Park last year Paul, great venue....

I got some belters from Sheffield Park last year Paul, great venue....

I do like it, and have been a few times now. Still crap at any sort of landscape though lol, but it`s only an hour or so away from me. Bit too bright n sunny today. Light was harsh to say the least. Next week they have a water lilly festival, if you`re planning on going some time.

Last edited:
I love Damsels & Dragonflies.

Shot on the 100-400 & T2 this afternoon...

Damsel01 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr
That’s nice, sharp, I am having a trip to LCE In Hereford Monday to trade the last of my Nikon lenses for a Fuji 55-200. Was going to buy used, but it’s only £26.00 dearer to buy new, with the cash back Offer on new.

Last edited:
I've been trying to hold off, but now I've ordered the 10-24 :D
Be interesting to see some images with the 10-24, it’s on my ‘would be nice to have list’, but the budget doesn’t go that far just yet. The full frame equivalent 18-24 was one of my favourite lenses when I had a Nikon.

Be interesting to see some images with the 10-24, it’s on my ‘would be nice to have list’, but the budget doesn’t go that far just yet. The full frame equivalent 18-24 was one of my favourite lenses when I had a Nikon.

The 10-24 is my go to lens for most things that aren't wildlife these days. I even used it for animal portraits at the long end...

Back