The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A wee trip to the riverbank recently to try out my new XF80mm macro.

Blue Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Green Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 1
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 2
by Brian M, on Flickr

Oh and this chap turned up at the tail-end of the trip to round it off nicely - nothing spectacular about the image (taken on 100-400mm) but I was chuffed to bits considering I had never even seen a Kingfisher until about 2 weeks ago!

Kingfisher
by Brian M, on Flickr
Lovely set, really like the damsels, and the kingfisher

Blue Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Green Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 1
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 2
by Brian M, on Flickr

Oh and this chap turned up at the tail-end of the trip to round it off nicely - nothing spectacular about the image (taken on 100-400mm) but I was chuffed to bits considering I had never even seen a Kingfisher until about 2 weeks ago!

Kingfisher
by Brian M, on Flickr
Brilliant shots Brian

I know this is in a very public place but did some moron really have to walk right across it and leave boot prints all over it ? Must have saved at least 2 secs of their life by not going round it !!!! Anyway a bit of classic chrome...... playing with settings, 1/20 hand held, didn't quite work as I would have liked but you get the idea

Piccadilly-Streetart by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Been meaning to post this for a while, if you're into street photography then I recommend following bobcooley on instagram, absolutely wonderful work using Fujifilm. Of course our very own @NickTB is also doing a great job.

Been meaning to post this for a while, if you're into street photography then I recommend following bobcooley on instagram, absolutely wonderful work using Fujifilm. Of course our very own @NickTB is also doing a great job.
High praise indeed! Thanks mate, following him now

High praise indeed! Thanks mate, following him now
He crops in really tight Nick, I might rework some of mine into B&W with heavier crops and more contrast to see if I can get a similar look.

I fully get that plenty of people aren't keen on long exposures, however the only way I was going to get a photo that day with nobody in it, was with a long exposure. I'll definitely be back at some point to try and get another version with a faster shutter speed.

You may have thought of this already, but the other way, which is pretty easy when you have the camera on a tripod anyway, is to take multiple shots at the shutter speed you would prefer, process them identically in LR/ACR using Sync Settings, then load them into Photoshop as a layer stack. Assuming lighting conditions are constant, it's then very easy to take out the people using masks. You just have to plan a little in advance and make sure you've got each spot where someone stood covered by at least one picture.

Blue Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Green Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 1
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 2
by Brian M, on Flickr

Kingfisher
by Brian M, on Flickr

Very nice set, some nice images there.

A question for users here: I know how one sets up the camera will be personal to each photographer, but I'd be interested to hear how you go about changing settings in a live environment.

For myself coming from a Nikon, have set up the front dial for aperture, rear for shutter speed and set the ISO manually using the dial on top. I have never used exposure compensation on the Fuji, but did on the Nikon for bracketing as it did not have this feature built in (D3400). I also have the histogram and level on the LCD and EVF when shooting.

Not as aesthetically pleasing as the majority of images on here, and it's never going to win any prizes, but rarely has the taking of an image given me such satisfaction.

Inspired by seeing a social media post by a photographer friend which had four moons in it - our moon plus three of Jupiter's moons, I pointed my X-T3 with my 100-400mm lens attached at Jupiter the night before last (I'm no astronomer, but it's currently the big bright star to the right of the moon!). Absolutely amazed to capture FOUR of Jupiter's moons (it has 79 apparently), and even managed to capture some colour! These I believe to be the so-called Galilean moons of Io, Europa, Callisto and Ganymede. And all this from my back garden in Belfast on my wee Fuji! :)

Four moons of Jupiter
by Brian M, on Flickr

Does anyone have the XF 100-400 lens and use it with the tele converter, what is IQ like please

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I am thinking about getting one as the wife has fell in love with my X-T2 so an upgrade to X-T3 and a nice long lens for aircraft is in order

Back