The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi all

I need some practical advice to:
A) Stop what may be GAS

and

B) To ensure I take the right gear with me!

A friend has asked that I take informal photographs of a birthday party been held in a barn with a band playing in an open area outside. I said as I'm attending as a guest I'll do some photographs during the first hour then after that my gear is locked away and I can enjoy the party. The party is next month on an evening so some light at this time of year outside. The barn for the indoor bit is an old stone building with very little natural light.

I was thinking of only taking my16-55 2.8, 23mm 1.4 and maybe my 56mm. I also have a Nissin i40 flash (I rarely use!)

Will that be sufficient for the lighting keeping the shutter and ISO high ish? My GAS says buy the 50-140mm 2.8. My head says not needed.

Counseling and advice appreciated ;)

I did this recently for a friend and took only an X100F and Flash, don't overthink, take one lens 16-55 (and the flash) would be a good choice, that will do everything you need without the hassle of taking extra kit and changing lenses etc. You are only taking pictures for an hour or so.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated and calming my GAS and overthinking!

Does anybody else use "T" on their shutter speed dial in conjunction with rear command dial to change shutter speed? Someone showed me this today on the XT2 and I must say I've nailed exposure each and every time, along with enabling customs speeds quickly for different scenarios. I may be teaching a lot of grandmothers to suck a lot of eggs, but this was a revelation to me!

Does anybody else use "T" on their shutter speed dial in conjunction with rear command dial to change shutter speed? Someone showed me this today on the XT2 and I must say I've nailed exposure each and every time, along with enabling customs speeds quickly for different scenarios. I may be teaching a lot of grandmothers to suck a lot of eggs, but this was a revelation to me!

I do if I have something specific im working on, but when out n about, i tend to stick with "A", as i miss so many shots, because I forget to go back from "T" to "A" That exact thing happened today. Faffing about with a flower, and this old American pick up gurgled past ... Lifted the camera, and by the time I`d spun the dial, it had gone.

I do if I have something specific im working on, but when out n about, i tend to stick with "A", as i miss so many shots, because I forget to go back from "T" to "A" That exact thing happened today. Faffing about with a flower, and this old American pick up gurgled past ... Lifted the camera, and by the time I`d spun the dial, it had gone.
Yeah I can imagine it would be easy to forget you were in “T”. I’ve been using it today for portraits alone, and it’s been great for that

Yes, for Long Exposure Work, when I've forgotten the remote release!

Yes, now and again, I find I use the exposure compensation command option more, but it is good to be able to switch between the 2, as well as the different auto ISO options. :)

I do this all the time, especially when using adapted lenses. I find it stops the dreaded aperture chatter, this can be noisey with some older lenses like the Canon 50mm 1.8 - or indeed some Fuji lenses like the 35 1.4. When I use 'T' to adjust SS it stops this chatter. Even when using a Fuji lens like the 35mm F2 I've gotten into the habit of using it. Often my set up will be 'A' on the ISO dial, with my limits set, usually to 3200 - T on the SS dial, and simply change aperture using the lens or the aperture ring on the fringer adapter I use. If I'm shooting macro, or any kind of shoot where I want the light to stay the same [or any time I use off-cam flash, as I run flash in M mode only for consistency] I just kick the ISO out of A and manually set it where I need. Then I just change SS to what i want and everything will stay same throughout.

Last edited:
Yeah I can imagine it would be easy to forget you were in “T”. I’ve been using it today for portraits alone, and it’s been great for that

Yep, and it drives me mad every bloody time ;)

My tummy is rumbling now..

Best you get down to the bakery, Trevor ;)

Damn you! I'm on a diet here! :D used to love me croissants, hot, with melted cheese and some sausage on side! i can still have the sausage just not the croissant :(

Haha sorry about that, Keith :)

These were just out of the basket. Warm and soft, but so good :)

Pity about the leaves sprouting on her face. I am not so much the purist not to remove them as it would be easy with that background.
it would be worth doing as the shot is otherwise quite strong.48072494043_7c43a189f6_b altered.jpg

Last edited:
Pity about the leaves sprouting on her face. I am not so much the purist not to remove them as it would be easy with that background.
it would be worth doing as the shot is otherwise quite strong.View attachment 247768
Good shout! Even if you did confuse me a bit by actually doing it :). I hadn't realised you'd done that until I came back to the thread having fixed it, and was then confuzzled as to how my edited picture was already here! Anyway, fixed in my original now, and in the colour layer in case I want to go back to that. Cheers!

Good shout! Even if you did confuse me a bit by actually doing it :). I hadn't realised you'd done that until I came back to the thread having fixed it, and was then confuzzled as to how my edited picture was already here! Anyway, fixed in my original now, and in the colour layer in case I want to go back to that. Cheers!

I snuck it in while you were not looking:oops: :$

Its all I use, front command dial set to shutter, rear set to aperture

Hi all, not posted in here for a while, but I've just got back from a week in the Lake District, so thought I'd pop up a few of the photos I got whilst there.

I'll start with this one of Ashness Bridge, Keswick. Unfortunately it was reasonably busy when I was there (which I'm assuming it probably almost always is), but luckily managed to grab this long exposure shot.

Shot on my X-T20 with 18-55mm. I'd like something slightly wider next time, but pretty happy with how this came out.

Ashness Bridge by Josh Kneller, on Flickr

Thanks!

While I do not want to upset any one. And taking long exposures of running water is something every one should at least experiment with. I find that the way it has come to be done in recent years is neither realistic nor impressionistic. We do not see rushing water as milky foam either in reality or in our minds eye.
However capturing a slight movement in water can help in such images. as can extremely short exposures of violent water, so as to capture droplets and form.
However some slow moving lakes views and seascapes can benefit from the ethereal quality it can impart. It rarely works in the rushing water of becks and rivers.

Rant Over:exit:

While I do not want to upset any one. And taking long exposures of running water is something every one should at least experiment with. I find that the way it has come to be done in recent years is neither realistic nor impressionistic. We do not see rushing water as milky foam either in reality or in our minds eye.
However capturing a slight movement in water can help in such images. as can extremely short exposures of violent water, so as to capture droplets and form.
However some slow moving lakes views and seascapes can benefit from the ethereal quality it can impart. It rarely works in the rushing water of becks and rivers.

Rant Over:exit:
I fully get that plenty of people aren't keen on long exposures, however the only way I was going to get a photo that day with nobody in it, was with a long exposure. I'll definitely be back at some point to try and get another version with a faster shutter speed.

That's me another step closer to being part of the Fuji family again.

XT3 was just too out of reach so..........

Ordered a new XT2 from clifton cameras the other day as they have a £300 off promo code on it.
So rather than than paying £1199 it only cost me £899.
Even better is that I still qualified for the free vertical grip so for £899 I feel like I have scored big time.

Yep. My default set-up is rear wheel for shutter, and press for focus... front wheel is used for aperture and ISO. ISO wheel set to A and aperture ring also on A.
About the only time I do anything different is for street, when I use aperture priority and zone focus instead of single point.

Yes I do using the back command dial, also have set up back button focusing using then same dial when you press it. have had my xt2 since January and still learning new things for it.

Hi all, not posted in here for a while, but I've just got back from a week in the Lake District, so thought I'd pop up a few of the photos I got whilst there.

I'll start with this one of Ashness Bridge, Keswick. Unfortunately it was reasonably busy when I was there (which I'm assuming it probably almost always is), but luckily managed to grab this long exposure shot.

Shot on my X-T20 with 18-55mm. I'd like something slightly wider next time, but pretty happy with how this came out.

Ashness Bridge by Josh Kneller, on Flickr

Thanks!

18-55 is such a lovely lens!

That's me another step closer to being part of the Fuji family again.

XT3 was just too out of reach so..........

Ordered a new XT2 from clifton cameras the other day as they have a £300 off promo code on it.
So rather than than paying £1199 it only cost me £899.
Even better is that I still qualified for the free vertical grip so for £899 I feel like I have scored big time.

That's a "RESULT" in my book, "CONGRATS" they're an excellent camera.

George.

That's a "RESULT" in my book, "CONGRATS" they're an excellent camera.

George.
Cheers George, I loved my XT1 when I had it a few years ago and regretted selling it so I'm glad to be back in the world of fuji again.

Cheers George, I loved my XT1 when I had it a few years ago and regretted selling it so I'm glad to be back in the world of fuji again.

Welcome to the XT2 cool kids!

A wee trip to the riverbank recently to try out my new XF80mm macro.

Blue Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Green Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 1
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 2
by Brian M, on Flickr

Oh and this chap turned up at the tail-end of the trip to round it off nicely - nothing spectacular about the image (taken on 100-400mm) but I was chuffed to bits considering I had never even seen a Kingfisher until about 2 weeks ago!

Kingfisher
by Brian M, on Flickr

A wee trip to the riverbank recently to try out my new XF80mm macro.

Blue Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Green Damsel
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 1
by Brian M, on Flickr

Bug 2
by Brian M, on Flickr

Oh and this chap turned up at the tail-end of the trip to round it off nicely - nothing spectacular about the image (taken on 100-400mm) but I was chuffed to bits considering I had never even seen a Kingfisher until about 2 weeks ago!

Kingfisher
by Brian M, on Flickr

Nice set, Brian (y) I too would be well chuffed with the Kingfisher .... Still yet to see one.

Got a question regarding the Xt2 built in sharpening, saturation, shadow etc. Do people use it? If so what’s the best setup?

Back