The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Reason why I love the 90mm wide open

Sarah by Dave, on Flickr

Sam by Dave, on Flickr
Superb shots Dave, part of me wishes I'd bought the 90 instead of the 100-400. I've only used that half a dozen times, and even then the 50-140 would probably have done as well...

Superb shots Dave, part of me wishes I'd bought the 90 instead of the 100-400. I've only used that half a dozen times, and even then the 50-140 would probably have done as well...

Thank you Rick, if know one is coming down the stairs in the BG then I love how the 90mm just blows the BG right out. I even printed the shot of Sam and gave him a framed shot.

This thread has changed a bit since I was last here... I have been busy wrangling these two for the last 5 months!
LRCX1670.jpg
The reason I'm back on this thread is that I need some advice on how best to use the two SD card slots on my X-T2. I have recently bought a second SD card, as need to make sure shots are suitably backed up at a wedding in a few weeks (I will be the only photographer at what is a very low budget wedding).

I currently shoot raw and jpeg to slot 1, mainly to get the extra zoom ability from shooting jpeg, but it is nice to have the jpeg as a reference. Should I shoot raw and jpeg to both cards? Or will I still get the extra zoom ability of shooting raw to one card (the larger one) and jpeg to the other card?

This thread has changed a bit since I was last here... I have been busy wrangling these two for the last 5 months!
View attachment 251757
The reason I'm back on this thread is that I need some advice on how best to use the two SD card slots on my X-T2. I have recently bought a second SD card, as need to make sure shots are suitably backed up at a wedding in a few weeks (I will be the only photographer at what is a very low budget wedding).

I currently shoot raw and jpeg to slot 1, mainly to get the extra zoom ability from shooting jpeg, but it is nice to have the jpeg as a reference. Should I shoot raw and jpeg to both cards? Or will I still get the extra zoom ability of shooting raw to one card (the larger one) and jpeg to the other card?

Lewis. I’m confused as to just what you mean by zoom ability.

@trevorbray ......

Couldn’t you sleep Trevor.... that’s an early post.....

I need to look at compressed raw…

Currently getting 121 shots on 8GB card.

I need to look at compressed raw…

Currently getting 121 shots on 8GB card.

Just watch that not all RAW processors can handle compressed RAW - and it may limit you if you want to change RAW processor in the future.

8Gb is bit prehistoric now, memory cards are quite cheap these days unless you either buy superfast or very high capacity. You'll need a lot more shots than 121 for a wedding unless you are just doing the fixed group shots, and with reasonable capacity cards being cheap these days I would consider running in a burst mode, and grabbing 5-10 shots each time, that way you should end up with shots where a) everyone is looking the right way and b) no-one has their eyes closed!

I do RAW + Jpeg to both also, I only ever add the Jpeg for that preview zoom ability too.

I use Sandisk 32GB cards and never even get close to filling them, but then I'm never doing weddings these days. But I can get 700 odd images per card even shooting RAW + Jpeg which for me would cover a wedding but I would use another 2 x 32 GB and swap out for the evening instead of using 64GB cards - that's just personal preference to better separate them.

There's no excuse not to have a couple of at least 32GB tbh, not at this price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ex...=sandisk+32gb&qid=1565075571&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Just watch that not all RAW processors can handle compressed RAW - and it may limit you if you want to change RAW processor in the future.

8Gb is bit prehistoric now, memory cards are quite cheap these days unless you either buy superfast or very high capacity. You'll need a lot more shots than 121 for a wedding unless you are just doing the fixed group shots, and with reasonable capacity cards being cheap these days I would consider running in a burst mode, and grabbing 5-10 shots each time, that way you should end up with shots where a) everyone is looking the right way and b) no-one has their eyes closed!
I stuck to normal raw files, as I hadn't done any research into compressed raws, and like getting round to buying a new SD card, had fallen off my radar. The 8GB card I am using was the one I bought to go in the second slot on my 1D2 - which I sold in 2010, so I would agree with prehistoric! I've gone for a 32GB Lexar 2000x UHS-II card, as per the Fuji X SD card compatibility page, now I am thinking maybe I should get another card for the second slot. If I am using 2 cards, will they both work at the speed of the slowest? And can you still get the extra zoom on review if you are shooting jpeg to one card and raw to the other?

Had a fantastic day today, went to the gym then my mate bought my 50-140mm that I don`t use so went to the music hall for a bit then Jessops ( Oooops ) as came out with an X-E3 + XF23mm f2.
X-H1 + XF16-55mm f2.8

St Pauls by Dave, on Flickr

The Singer by Dave, on Flickr

Had a fantastic day today, went to the gym then my mate bought my 50-140mm that I don`t use so went to the music hall for a bit then Jessops ( Oooops ) as came out with an X-E3 + XF23mm f2.
X-H1 + XF16-55mm f2.8

The Singer by Dave, on Flickr

Very nice candid street style shot, liking this one very much.

George.

I stuck to normal raw files, as I hadn't done any research into compressed raws, and like getting round to buying a new SD card, had fallen off my radar. The 8GB card I am using was the one I bought to go in the second slot on my 1D2 - which I sold in 2010, so I would agree with prehistoric! I've gone for a 32GB Lexar 2000x UHS-II card, as per the Fuji X SD card compatibility page, now I am thinking maybe I should get another card for the second slot. If I am using 2 cards, will they both work at the speed of the slowest? And can you still get the extra zoom on review if you are shooting jpeg to one card and raw to the other?

In the X-T2 both card slots are UHS-II (in the earlier X-Pro2 the first slot was UHS-II and the second UHS-I)

Not sure about the zoom capability, nut the camera will know that you are shoot RAW+JPG to different slots, so should work, but if its essential then I would test.

Card failure with quality cards is fairly rare, I shoot backup because I can!!! I've only had one card failure in the last 10 years and that was user error on my part in inserting it into the reader!!!! And now I never take the cards out of the camera unless for a firmware update, and transfer the images out via USB.

I always run identical cards in each slot, not sure why, just seemed the right thing to do.

I had a failure about 3 weeks ago, I have reformatted the card twice and it seems OK now but I bought a couple of new ones to replace them with.

I’m having a blond moment.....which is hard with no hair....

Either i’m Sitting in a very quiet room or my X-H1 is whirring excessively, is that the ibis? Not heard it before....

Either i’m Sitting in a very quiet room or my X-H1 is whirring excessively, is that the ibis? Not heard it before....
It will be yeah.

Must be a very quiet room, the X-H1 does make some whirring noise, even when the IBIS is switched off - something to do with the floating mechanism for the sensor, with IBIS off it's still working to hold it in place. I can only ever hear it when I stick the camera to my ear in a quiet room. Afaik this mechanism is only deactivated when you switch the camera off, you will hear a 'clunk' sound when the sensor drops

Last edited:
It also stops when you view images.

It also stops when you view images.

Well spotted, never would have noticed that - there is still a feint noise but there is indeed a clunk and the main whirring stops when reviewing. I've noted that clunk when I switch to reviewing but didn't really think on it. Battery saving feature no doubt

Last edited:
In the X-T2 both card slots are UHS-II (in the earlier X-Pro2 the first slot was UHS-II and the second UHS-I)

Not sure about the zoom capability, nut the camera will know that you are shoot RAW+JPG to different slots, so should work, but if its essential then I would test.

Card failure with quality cards is fairly rare, I shoot backup because I can!!! I've only had one card failure in the last 10 years and that was user error on my part in inserting it into the reader!!!! And now I never take the cards out of the camera unless for a firmware update, and transfer the images out via USB.
I’ll test the review zoom when my second card arrives(and will post my findings). Ideally I’d like to keep raw and Josef on separate cards, as currently ingesting both to Lightroom on a Mac that is already tight on space.

I am also keen to see download speeds from camera vs UHS-II card reader. The plan is one card will always stay in the camera - this strategy saved me a few times with my 1D.

Cheers Paul, the urban hell of West London are 100 miles away from the rolling hills of Wiltshire, and we're loving it!!

Just need to get out with the gear properly and get some serious landscapes going.

Take your time, mate. Just enjoy the moment (and clean air) :)

BTW I would run both cards RAW+JPG, I do this with 64Gb cards with compressed RAWs thats 1600 shots before cards are full (X-T2)
I shoot RAW slot 1 + JPG slot 2 and get 974 on the XT-3. It's still a back up but worse way it could be JPG you end up with if the RAW card fails.

I shoot RAW slot 1 + JPG slot 2 and get 974 on the XT-3. It's still a back up but worse way it could be JPG you end up with if the RAW card fails.

I don't really get the logic of RAW slot 1 and JPG Slot 2, unless you want to have longer higher speed bursts, which most of us amateurs don't, then I would suggest that RAW+JPG to both cards gives the most redundancy. Given that medium capacity cards (ie 64Gb) are quite cheap these days it seems rude not to. You now get two x 64Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 170Mb/s cards for less than £50 (from Amazon), I spent this 3 years ago and got two 95Mb/s cards - good value 3 years ago.

That will give 1100 (uncompressed) and 1599 (compressed) on X-T2/X-H1 and slightly less on X-T3

This way if you get a card failure then you still have both RAW and JPG

(I understand the logic of RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2 when the slots run at different speeds, but this isn't the case from X-T2 onwards)

I don't really get the logic of RAW slot 1 and JPG Slot 2, unless you want to have longer higher speed bursts, which most of us amateurs don't, then I would suggest that RAW+JPG to both cards gives the most redundancy. Given that medium capacity cards (ie 64Gb) are quite cheap these days it seems rude not to. You now get two x 64Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 170Mb/s cards for less than £50 (from Amazon), I spent this 3 years ago and got two 95Mb/s cards - good value 3 years ago.

That will give 1100 (uncompressed) and 1599 (compressed) on X-T2/X-H1 and slightly less on X-T3

This way if you get a card failure then you still have both RAW and JPG

(I understand the logic of RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2 when the slots run at different speeds, but this isn't the case from X-T2 onwards)
I don't really use high speed bursts for work stuff but I get your logic.

Back