The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Has anyone else pre-ordered the 16-80 ?

Really fancy this lens as its a focal length I have used a lot on other systems - but it will probably mean selling my 10-24 to fund it and I really don't want to do that !

Unless the 16-80 comes down in price at all ?
Yes, it's being delivered on Monday...

At least the tuition fees are lower in the states, but I doubt we can get the same loans.
Well she did want Greenwich, and that's a damn sight closer :)

Has anyone else pre-ordered the 16-80 ?

Really fancy this lens as its a focal length I have used a lot on other systems - but it will probably mean selling my 10-24 to fund it and I really don't want to do that !

Unless the 16-80 comes down in price at all ?

It will come down in price but nt for a few months, unless the usual grey market sites have them for cheaper

Not interested in it personally, I would have just held on to the 16-55 if zooms were my thing. But, I can see it being popular, can see many chopping in their 18-55 for it

It will come down in price but nt for a few months, unless the usual grey market sites have them for cheaper

Not interested in it personally, I would have just held on to the 16-55 if zooms were my thing. But, I can see it being popular, can see many chopping in their 18-55 for it
I have a kit 16-50 so I'd be interested in a 16-80, price dependant of course.

I have a kit 16-50 so I'd be interested in a 16-80, price dependant of course.

It's going to be about £800-900. I just don't think it's worth it unless it is much better than the 18-55, as you could have that and the 90mm F2 used for about that

Last edited:
Just been shooting a quick pic for this weeks 52 challenge, this week is 'dull' so I popped outside and shot this with the X-H1 very quickly, just before it stared pouring down.

I have to say I love the X-H1, and like some other have said, I refer it to the X-T3, I can't quite put my finger on it, though actually, a large part of it I actually can, the shutter just feels sublime. It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but now I have, it just feels like nothing else I have used, quality springs to mind.

This isn't a great example of what it can do by any means, but I love this thing. It won't make the X-T3 redundant, but it does seem to be my 'go to' now. I'd recommend anyone trying one if they are considering the X-T3, especially at the price now.

DSCF1395 by rick phillips, on Flickr

Just been shooting a quick pic for this weeks 52 challenge, this week is 'dull' so I popped outside and shot this with the X-H1 very quickly, just before it stared pouring down.

I have to say I love the X-H1, and like some other have said, I refer it to the X-T3, I can't quite put my finger on it, though actually, a large part of it I actually can, the shutter just feels sublime. It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but now I have, it just feels like nothing else I have used, quality springs to mind.

This isn't a great example of what it can do by any means, but I love this thing. It won't make the X-T3 redundant, but it does seem to be my 'go to' now. I'd recommend anyone trying one if they are considering the X-T3, especially at the price now.

DSCF1395 by rick phillips, on Flickr

I feel much the same, I know that for me IBIS was the main deciding factor initially when choosing between the T3 and H1, but it's more than that. The ergonomics, that sweet shutter and I actually prefer a weightier body. With the T3 I know I would have wanted the battery grip, never once felt the need to get one for the H1. I would say it's the best APSC camera out there [for me personally] - the only camera I would switch to would be FF, I still have the odd urge to go that way but so long as I stay APSC it'll be with the H1.

I feel much the same, I know that for me IBIS was the main deciding factor initially when choosing between the T3 and H1, but it's more than that. The ergonomics, that sweet shutter and I actually prefer a weightier body. With the T3 I know I would have wanted the battery grip, never once felt the need to get one for the H1. I would say it's the best APSC camera out there [for me personally] - the only camera I would switch to would be FF, I still have the odd urge to go that way but so long as I stay APSC it'll be with the H1.
100% this, I have the grip on both cameras, but I always use a grip. I've had FF before, and have no inkling to go back anytime soon :)

100% this, I have the grip on both cameras, but I always use a grip. I've had FF before, and have no inkling to go back anytime soon :)

I shot FF for a few years but I've used APSC for many more. The only reason I would go FF again is for low light shooting, there is no denying that you can get cleaner images at higher ISO on the better FF sensors but there's not as much in it as some people make out. There are times too that I would like some of that FF 'pop' as people call it, you can more easily separate subjects from a backdrop - of course you can do this with Fuji too and the right lenses, like the 16 1.4 that I adore. But that's more for close ups, I'm talking say for full length body shots, on FF you do get an advantage there. But that's about it, that is all I would gain. None of the FFML offerings have it all in one like the H1 does in one package. I want IBIS [the Canon R doesn't have this], a comfortable body with decent grip [The Sony bodies really do not look very comfortable], dual SD card slots [The Nikon Z6 uses XQD and I don't like that and the R has only the one slot] - The XH1 might not match these for overall IQ and low light performance, but it's got everything else.

I shot FF for a few years but I've used APSC for many more. The only reason I would go FF again is for low light shooting, there is no denying that you can get cleaner images at higher ISO on the better FF sensors but there's not as much in it as some people make out. There are times too that I would like some of that FF 'pop' as people call it, you can more easily separate subjects from a backdrop - of course you can do this with Fuji too and the right lenses, like the 16 1.4 that I adore. But that's more for close ups, I'm talking say for full length body shots, on FF you do get an advantage there. But that's about it, that is all I would gain. None of the FFML offerings have it all in one like the H1 does in one package. I want IBIS [the Canon R doesn't have this], a comfortable body with decent grip [The Sony bodies really do not look very comfortable], dual SD card slots [The Nikon Z6 uses XQD and I don't like that and the R has only the one slot] - The XH1 might not match these for overall IQ and low light performance, but it's got everything else.

Agree with a lot of this Keith I shot Nikon and Sony FF for years but I will never go back to FF personally prefer the lighter set up now although like you say the overall IQ is not quite so good but unless you print massive and/or pixel peep a lot dont think you would tell the difference 99% of the time. I know some of the Fuji lenses aren't cheap but some of the prices for the latest mirrorless glass is eye watering, the latest Canon 28-75 f2 for example, now Ive no doubt its a stunning lens but over £3,000

Agree with a lot of this Keith I shot Nikon and Sony FF for years but I will never go back to FF personally prefer the lighter set up now although like you say the overall IQ is not quite so good but unless you print massive and/or pixel peep a lot dont think you would tell the difference 99% of the time. I know some of the Fuji lenses aren't cheap but some of the prices for the latest mirrorless glass is eye watering, the latest Canon 28-75 f2 for example, now Ive no doubt its a stunning lens but over £3,000

The latest FFML lenses are a right turn off I agree. If I did go FF I would be trying to do it budget style. Then I would be compromising by buying cheaper lenses and the gap between what I already have would be narrower.

The latest FFML lenses are a right turn off I agree. If I did go FF I would be trying to do it budget style. Then I would be compromising by buying cheaper lenses and the gap between what I already have would be narrower.

That makes sense and you can get some great lenses cheaper, if I was buying into a new system these days I be very tempted into going the other way and go to MFT. Always fancied a Olympus EM1.

I used t have a Canon 5D Mkiii and about £6K of lenses, the set up was great, but in the end I bought an X100T and then was sold on Fuji, I have had a few cameras, and now have a great setup. Not much cheaper than the Canon gear to be honest, but I like the whole Fuji experience. For, me, the absolute IQ is a small part of the photographic experience, and I enjoy using the tools more than the absolute output. That might sound stupid, but that's how it works for me. :)

It'll be on double cashback within a few months.

That makes sense and you can get some great lenses cheaper, if I was buying into a new system these days I be very tempted into going the other way and go to MFT. Always fancied a Olympus EM1.

I enjoyed MFT, there's some advantages to the system that many over look, like deeper DOF at wider apertures for macro or wildlife. It's always p***ed on because of equivalent DOF in comparison to FF. But the FF crowd never mention the opposing end . I had the Olympus em5, an older camera now but I still enjoyed it, and then moved to the Panasonic G80. Excellent camera or the money. I can tell you IBIS on M43 is superior to anything APSC or FF IBIS can offer - I have the X-H1 now for example, and good as the IBIS is, I would say the G80 would eat it alive on that score.

I used t have a Canon 5D Mkiii and about £6K of lenses, the set up was great, but in the end I bought an X100T and then was sold on Fuji, I have had a few cameras, and now have a great setup. Not much cheaper than the Canon gear to be honest, but I like the whole Fuji experience. For, me, the absolute IQ is a small part of the photographic experience, and I enjoy using the tools more than the absolute output. That might sound stupid, but that's how it works for me. :)

Not stupid at all, in fact it's similar to my story. I shot Nikon for years, and finally managed to go FF after saving some money, I had a bunch of really nic FF lenses too. I bought the X100s for travel and it got me curious, ended up chopping in my Nikon gear for the Fuji X-T1 and some lenses and I was surprised at how little difference I noticed. I really do like Fuji, I mean I wouldn't be back here if I didn't ;) this is my second outing with the system. I've jumped about a bit over the years. I'm happy with what I got, but I will always be that guy who'll jump ship overnight, I never tie myself to anything and will always be wanting for whatever else ... I would say Fuji has more of a lure than most though

I think my first Fuji XF lens purchase will be the compact XF27mm (focal length of 41mm).

I owned one years ago and so loved it's compact size (would be excellent for travelling), E-infinity have them new for £129 (silver or black), bargain.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/1602/fuji_fujifilm_fujinon_xf_27mm_f/2.8_lens_(black)

That was the first lens I bought when I first switched to Fuji, really nice little lens, very sharp and I would say under-rated. The only negatives really are the AF noise and lack of aperture ring.

My eldest, Kayley, who's been having a lot of trouble with confidence lately. She has cerebral palsy, and uses crutches all the time - but ... she wanted photos where this isn't an issue, a thing .. I looked for different ways to have her free stand so I could do upper body shots, we did use a light stand at one point ... but in the end against a wall worked out best. because of this I got shadows, and not quite the backdrop I'd planned for. Oh well, the most important thing is that the subject is happy, and after seeing these she was [already has copies of them up on her IG] - but it was also the first time I used the X-H1 for any kind of portrait shoot .

These were all using the 50mm F2

DSCF3965 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF3964 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF3950 by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
What’s the image quality of the XH-1 compared to the X-T3 ?

I have to say I am stunned by what comes out of the X-T3. The amount of detail is stunning, the colours are wonderful and I’m also impressed by the low levels of noise.

My eldest, Kayley, who's been having a lot of trouble with confidence lately. She has cerebral palsy, and uses crutches all the time - but ... she wanted photos where this isn't an issue, a thing .. I looked for different ways to have her free stand so I could do upper body shots, we did use a light stand at one point ... but in the end against a wall worked out best. because of this I got shadows, and not quite the backdrop I'd planned for. Oh well, the most important thing is that the subject is happy, and after seeing these she was [already has copies of them up on her IG] - but it was also the first time I used the X-H1 for any kind of portrait shoot .

These were all using the 50mm F2

DSCF3965 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF3964 by K G, on Flickr

DSCF3950 by K G, on Flickr

Lovely set Keith, second the show David mentioned it was very good.

What’s the image quality of the XH-1 compared to the X-T3 ?

I have to say I am stunned by what comes out of the X-T3. The amount of detail is stunning, the colours are wonderful and I’m also impressed by the low levels of noise.

Have a look through this thread Justin, lots of images from all Fuji cameras, and all are stunning, I think it doesn't really come down to quality as they all seem pretty equal its more a personal choice of what suits you best.

Can anyone suggest a device that allows me to back up from my SD cards without the use of a PC? Ideally portable, so I can just insert a SD card and it will auto backup the cards contents while I'm out and about.

Cheers

I enjoyed MFT, there's some advantages to the system that many over look, like deeper DOF at wider apertures for macro or wildlife. It's always p***ed on because of equivalent DOF in comparison to FF. But the FF crowd never mention the opposing end . I had the Olympus em5, an older camera now but I still enjoyed it, and then moved to the Panasonic G80. Excellent camera or the money. I can tell you IBIS on M43 is superior to anything APSC or FF IBIS can offer - I have the X-H1 now for example, and good as the IBIS is, I would say the G80 would eat it alive on that score.
I just got an XT3 as a comparison to my EM1 ii. Not really had a chance to do a proper test but the IBIS in the Oly is superb and the ergonomic, for me at least, better than the X-T3. I need to get used to the Fuji though as it is very different to use and I would probably add a hand grip. The Oly is beautiful in the hand with brilliant ergonomics. Image quality looks better on the Xt3 as you would expect. I wish Nikon had brought out a mirrorless with the F mount asx I really like the EVFs but I have so much Nikon gear and I'm not keen on using them adapted as they are big and heavy enough already.

Maybe the X-E3 is not giving me the best impression of the fuji system but thus far, the only thing that's really impressed me is the image quality that it can produce when it behaves itself. It has taken some fantastic photos over the two months I've been using it but I'm seeing some regular intermittent issues. (just to note, my body and lenses are all on the latest firmwares and I've seen it produce good results)

Problems I've seen so far are:
- Inexplicable OOF images where the AF loses it's marbles and nothing is in focus with no good reason (not obvious in the finder as it's just far enough OOF to look ok at that magnification)
- The 50-140mm OIS system seems to blur more images than it saves @ 140mm no matter what the shutter speed. It can be sharp but all too often the outer 3rd of all pictures shows what looks like motion blur and looks softer than my 20 year old nikon 80-200. (which has no VR) Weirdly, turning OIS off makes no apparent difference. I've tried all the different IS modes and that also makes little difference. I'm starting to think I may have a poor sample as it's frequently sharper at ~90mm than it is at 140mm which doesn't match the reviews. The little 27 I bought is much better as it's consistently sharp. (when the AF behaves)

Overall, I still prefer my D810. Colours are no better and no worse. The nikon does win on image quality but it's not by miles. The nikon frankly annihilates the fuji on AF simply because it's accurate a lot more often. I've never been too bothered by the speed of the af, the only thing that bothers me is how accurate it is. Why the fuji can't focus on a nice contrasty, static object in good light with any consistency is beyond me. I do wonder how much better the X-T and X-H cameras are in that respect, but as far as I could find out, an X-E3 should be the same as an X-T2/T20/H1/Pro2 in terms of AF and image quality.

That was the first lens I bought when I first switched to Fuji, really nice little lens, very sharp and I would say under-rated. The only negatives really are the AF noise and lack of aperture ring.
No idea why everyone says it's noisy. It's almost as quiet as any AF-S lens I'e used. If you've ever used nikon AF-D lenses, you'll know what loud really is.

Maybe the X-E3 is not giving me the best impression of the fuji system but thus far, the only thing that's really impressed me is the image quality that it can produce when it behaves itself. It has taken some fantastic photos over the two months I've been using it but I'm seeing some regular intermittent issues. (just to note, my body and lenses are all on the latest firmwares and I've seen it produce good results)

- Inexplicable OOF images where the AF loses it's marbles and nothing is in focus with no good reason (not obvious in the finder as it's just far enough OOF to look ok at that magnification)
- The 50-140mm OIS system seems to blur more images than it saves @ 140mm no matter what the shutter speed. It can be sharp but all too often the outer 3rd of all pictures shows what looks like motion blur and looks softer than my 20 year old nikon 80-200. (which has no VR) Weirdly, turning OIS off makes no apparent difference. I've tried all the different IS modes and that also makes little difference. I'm starting to think I may have a poor sample as it's frequently sharper at ~90mm than it is at 140mm which doesn't match the reviews. The little 27 I bought is much better as it's consistently sharp. (when the AF behaves)

Overall, I still prefer my D810. Colours are no better and no worse. The nikon does win on image quality but it's not by miles. The nikon frankly annihilates the fuji on AF simply because it's accurate a lot more often. I've never been too bothered by the speed of the af, the only thing that bothers me is how accurate it is. Why the fuji can't focus on a nice contrasty, static object in good light with any consistency is beyond me. I do wonder how much better the X-T and X-H cameras are in that respect, but as far as I could find out, an X-E3 should be the same as an X-T2/T20/H1/Pro2 in terms of AF and image quality.

No idea why everyone says it's noisy. It's almost as quiet as any AF-S lens I'e used. If you've ever used nikon AF-D lenses, you'll know what loud really is.

This is interesting - I use the 23mm 1.4 and the 50mm f/2 and love them but, in comparison to my old D7200, the af tracking leaves much to be desired on the xt-2. I always put it down to these now being "sporty" lenses (and thus assumed the 2.8 zooms and even the xf 18-55 and 55-200 were better).

Man, that d7200 was great. I really miss it sometimes, but the flippy screen and the feel (and the look, frankly) as well as the better aps-c lenses brought me to fuji. Thinking of going back to canikon SLR land though.

I just got an XT3 as a comparison to my EM1 ii. Not really had a chance to do a proper test but the IBIS in the Oly is superb and the ergonomic, for me at least, better than the X-T3. I need to get used to the Fuji though as it is very different to use and I would probably add a hand grip. The Oly is beautiful in the hand with brilliant ergonomics. Image quality looks better on the Xt3 as you would expect. I wish Nikon had brought out a mirrorless with the F mount asx I really like the EVFs but I have so much Nikon gear and I'm not keen on using them adapted as they are big and heavy enough already.

Olympus really nail IBIS, they do it even better than Panasonic - of course it is that bit easier to allow the sensor more room as it is physically smaller, but they manage it even in their smallest bodies. The em5 series for example, even the old em5 mk1 had better IBIS than anything from the other manufacturers today. it was the reason I switched to M43 for a while, the con to this is that I now have a hunger for great IBIS - it's become a must - this is why the H1 was the only Fuji option for me.

I have indeed used AF-D lenses, and I'd expect them to be noisey, but the 27mm is a modern era lens and though it's not terrible or even distracting, when you compare it to other Fuji lenses it is noisey, and a little slow. I still like the lens, I just don't really get on with 'pancake' lenses as I prefer to have a little something to grip on to. But you will certainly get great results using it, just wouldn't bother for video ...

On your AF issues, no idea what to tell you, as I've never used an X-E3 but I find the H1 as capable as any other camera I've used. I took photos yesterday at a birthday party, including low light shots of the kids around the birthday cake at ISO 6400 and it had no trouble picking out near dark faces. This was with the 16mm 1.4, which is not the fasted lens either. In any kind of reasonable lighting you shouldn't be having such trouble

Back