The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's a shame that it doesn't have the same ability as the T3 in this respect, I wonder if this is a hardware limitation or if a firmware update in the future could improve this.

i have a feeling the "continuous improvement" philosophy has been forgotten about with the x-h1.

Yeah I found eye AF alright, but I did only test for casual portraits, it's not something I need in general. Usually have Face or eye detect off and just use single point, the smallest possible mostly. Depends on your needs really. Is eye-AF more important to you than IBIS? then an XT3 will do the job better for you

XT3 is just too small for my hands. I do like the ergonomics of the H1

XT3 is just too small for my hands. I do like the ergonomics of the H1

I don't think any camera out there today has it all, it's like they all lack something. Whether it's ergonomics, ease of use, super fast AF or decent eye AF, IBIS, sufficient fps etc .... can't think of any one camera that has it all. There will always be some compromise. If eye AF is really important to you but IBIS isn't, have you thought about the EOS R? the update to that looks really good and it looks a more fun and ergonomically nicer to use camera than your old Sony

I thought you did have the H1 before and that's why you decided to try it again, didn't know eye/face detect was a priority for you though, we coud have told you it was a bit pants :D

I don't think any camera out there today has it all, it's like they all lack something. Whether it's ergonomics, ease of use, super fast AF or decent eye AF, IBIS, sufficient fps etc .... can't think of any one camera that has it all. There will always be some compromise. If eye AF is really important to you but IBIS isn't, have you thought about the EOS R? the update to that looks really good and it looks a more fun and ergonomically nicer to use camera than your old Sony

I thought you did have the H1 before and that's why you decided to try it again, didn't know eye/face detect was a priority for you though, we coud have told you it was a bit pants :D

Been thinking about that. I think I've been seduced by the Sony!

Been thinking about that. I think I've been seduced by the Sony!

But you also said you didn't enjoy the shooting experience with Sony. Have you looked to the Nikon Z? I don't know what their eye AF is like but they will surely be trying to keep up with Canon and Sony in that dept?

But you also said you didn't enjoy the shooting experience with Sony. Have you looked to the Nikon Z? I don't know what their eye AF is like but they will surely be trying to keep up with Canon and Sony in that dept?

Agreed, I didn’t enjoy the Sony experience. I LOVE the Fuji experience, the quality of the Sony files was superb and it was a breeze to use, but just too clinical. I used eye af on continuous focus on the Sony and it just worked. I’m honestly thinking my H1 copy is a bad one as I don’t remember My other one behaving like this
Sorry forgot to add, I know nothing about Nikon, I’ve never used one. And the lens cost for Canon is prohibitive

Last edited:
From last weekend's trip to the Midlands for my cousin's birthday lunch at the lovely Chateau Impney in Droitwich. A couple from the blue hour on a dull Saturday evening, then some from the gorgeous sunny Sunday morning

Chateau Impney II by Ian, on Flickr

Chateau Impney I by Ian, on Flickr

Chateau Impney IV by Ian, on Flickr

Chateau Impney V by Ian, on Flickr

Chateau Impney III by Ian, on Flickr

X-T2 and 14mm for the blue hour ones, X-T2 and Canon 35mm tilt-shift for the sunny ones. Thanks for looking

Really like those images mate great capture and colours

This lens is starting to cause a stir and getting noticed within the camera/lens world apparently, the new Viltrox 85mm f/1.8 portrait lens for the Fuji X system, auto-focus, built like a tank.

Looks like I'll be saving for one! Prices seem to range around £290--£320, more affordable compared to Fuji's XF90mm f2.

http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=71&id=235

A review here by the angry photographer;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGEX0QjJ50o

p.s. My E-infinity lenses just arrived by DHL this afternoon (10-24mm, 55-200mm, 27mm, the 56mm arrives soon as it was out of stock). Result

Peter

Last edited:
Agreed, I didn’t enjoy the Sony experience. I LOVE the Fuji experience, the quality of the Sony files was superb and it was a breeze to use, but just too clinical. I used eye af on continuous focus on the Sony and it just worked. I’m honestly thinking my H1 copy is a bad one as I don’t remember My other one behaving like this
Sorry forgot to add, I know nothing about Nikon, I’ve never used one. And the lens cost for Canon is prohibitive

I'll give mine a go using eye detect later see how I find it. I never really paid that much attention, think I've only tried eye +face detect and it was probably more reading faces than single eyes. I take it you've gone through all the options, selective eye R or L, auto?

I'll give mine a go using eye detect later see how I find it. I never really paid that much attention, think I've only tried eye +face detect and it was probably more reading faces than single eyes. I take it you've gone through all the options, selective eye R or L, auto?

Yeah, all pretty much the same. Just tried a couple on my daughter, and you get the square box around the face, but rarely the extra eye focus box. And she was standing absolutely still

This lens is starting to cause a stir and getting noticed within the camera/lens world apparently, the new Viltrox 85mm f/1.8 portrait lens for the Fuji X system, auto-focus, built like a tank.

Looks like I'll be saving for one!

http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=71&id=235

A review here by the angry photographer;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGEX0QjJ50o

p.s. My E-infinity lenses just arrived by DHL this afternoon (10-24mm, 55-200mm, 27mm, the 56mm arrives soon as it was out of stock). Result

Peter

It's been out a while now, since March I think? There just hasn't been too many reviews on it. The reviews tht are out there are a mixed bag, all saying the IQ is very good and it's a very good alternative to the 90F2, but where one reviewer will say the AF is as fast if not faster than the 90, others say it lags well behind. Some say it suffers CA wide open, other say they've not really noticed any ... copy variation? I'm interested in it too, would I give up my 50F2 for one? I'd have to see more samples I think. I also want to know as I mentioned earlier, if I use my Raynox on it for macro, will I get vignetting, but I can't find out anywhere.

Yeah, all pretty much the same. Just tried a couple on my daughter, and you get the square box around the face, but rarely the extra eye focus box. And she was standing absolutely still

Hmmm, time for me to grab a daughter for testing :D

Ok, I get same as you from distance, Face detect box only, but when I get in very close eye detect kicks in. Here's another twist, it works much better for me with the 50F2 than the 16 1.4 .. so could be lens dependent also. But in either case it only really works well up close [head and shoulders or head only]

Ok, I get same as you from distance, Face detect box only, but when I get in very close eye detect kicks in. Here's another twist, it works much better for me with the 50F2 than the 16 1.4 .. so could be lens dependent also. But in either case it only really works well up close [head and shoulders or head only]

That’s strange. I must admit I only tried it with the 23 1.4 and the 56 1.2, it was the same on both. Didn’t think to try the 16

That’s strange. I must admit I only tried it with the 23 1.4 and the 56 1.2, it was the same on both. Didn’t think to try the 16

Yeah just tried here again, it kicks in as you get closer, and when I pull back it'll continue to work for a bit then revert back to Face detect, green box only. I had to get very close with the 16, with the 50 it kicked in sooner - this was in dim enough kitchen light as the girls were having their tea. Didn't have them pose just look toward me as they were eating

Yeah just tried here again, it kicks in as you get closer, and when I pull back it'll continue to work for a bit then revert back to Face detect, green box only. I had to get very close with the 16, with the 50 it kicked in sooner - this was in dim enough kitchen light as the girls were having their tea. Didn't have them pose just look toward me as they were eating

Our poor kids! Mine suffer the same too haha

A quote from a X shooter friend of mine (Richard);

"There are plans for Viltrox to release a 56-1.4, 33-1.4 and 23-1.4 for Fuji X. Now, this may seem strange going head-on with lenses which are already available from Fuji, but the Viltrox stuff will be cheaper (less than the Fuji f2's by all accounts) and with more modern focus motors. If the 85's anything to go by, there will be fun times ahead".
smile.png

If the xh1 has the same eye AF as the xt2 then it's not usable IMHO. Tried it few times on my xt2 and never again. On the xt3, it's another story. It's fast, accurate and more importantly it works with continuous AF.

I ve never liked the small grip on the xt series but with the additional large hand grip, they are great.

The eye af works perfectly on my XT3 too.
The grip size is just right for me, the extra battery grip hasn't been out of its box...

Back