The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Looking at the comparison pictures there doesn't look to be a whole lot in it but as you say it may feel smaller in the plastic and metal. If there isn't really all that much difference in size maybe an X-T1 could be a better option but what about the firmware updates? Is it at all possible that Fuji could stop updating the X-T1 firmware at any point whilst continuing to release updates for newer models?

X-T1 is still the flagship not the x-t10, it will be getting all the x-t10 fw updates soon enough. Fuji has a much better track record than other manufacturers in terms of FW updates, they continue support for older models a good few years after launch.

Yes, I know it's the flagship but it's aging by the day. Do Fuji still update the older X-pro and EX1? (or whatever it's called can't remember the exact name.) Just trying to work out if buying a used older model all be it a flag ship camera is a better idea long term compared to buying a new just released camera.

Yes, I know it's the flagship but it's aging by the day. Do Fuji still update the older X-pro and EX1? (or whatever it's called can't remember the exact name.) Just trying to work out if buying a used older model all be it a flag ship camera is a better idea long term compared to buying a new just released camera.

Aging by the day? Its only 1 and bit years old. The only reason the X-T10 would get updates over the X-T1 is if it was a higher spec, that isnt the case, its not a flagship, that will be the unreleased XT2 or X pro 2. The XE1 was never a flagship. Besides that the X-T10s lower spec cant be cured by FW updates.

Last edited:
Aging by the day? Its only 1 and bit years old. The only reason the X-T10 would get updates over the X-T1 is if it was a higher spec, that isnt the case, its not a flagship, that will be the unreleased XT20 or X pro 2. The XE1 was never a flagship. Besides that the X-T10s lower spec cant be cured by FW updates.

1 and a bit years nearer to being replaced by a new model though.

I do realise that firmware can't fix everything but there's no denying that some of the released updates have made the cameras they're applicable to better. I'm not interested in fluff like vid, wifi or creative filters, I'm just interested in basic functions but even these have been improved by firmware updates. As I said, I'm just trying to get a clear picture of the best route to go down. Older flagship model, new lower spec or wait for another flagship.

I do realise that firmware can't fix everything but there's no denying that some of the released updates have made the cameras they're applicable to better. I'm not interested in fluff like vid, wifi or creative filters, I'm just interested in basic functions but even these have been improved by firmware updates. As I said, I'm just trying to get a clear picture of the best route to go down. Older flagship model, new lower spec or wait for another flagship.

If I was shopping for a fuji body and not taking part in any trade-in offers, I'd be buying an X-T1 from the Fuji refurb shop or possibly a grey import. I'm not fussed about any difference in quality of the screen, buffer and card speed make no difference to me when I shoot 1 image every hour, weather sealing is always a good thing but I don't tend to go out in unfavourable conditions and none of the lenses I own are weather sealed.

But the viewfinder and ISO dial are enough to justify it. (it's only because of the favourable trade-in that I'm getting the X-T10 instead of a 2nd X-T1)

Could say that about any camera though, if you put it that way its still half its shelf life and Im confident Fuji will give it a couple more big updates even if a new flagship comes out. It doesnt make sense for them to support the lower spec XT10 over XT1. Depends on when you want to buy, If you feel you need to wait for the next flagship then wait. Nothings future proof.

Last edited:
If I was shopping for a fuji body and not taking part in any trade-in offers, I'd be buying an X-T1 from the Fuji refurb shop or possibly a grey import. I'm not fussed about any difference in quality of the screen, buffer and card speed make no difference to me when I shoot 1 image every hour, weather sealing is always a good thing but I don't tend to go out in unfavourable conditions and none of the lenses I own are weather sealed.

But the viewfinder and ISO dial are enough to justify it. (it's only because of the favourable trade-in that I'm getting the X-T10 instead of a 2nd X-T1)

Agreed, your unique position might have also made me think a bit harder. Its hard to ignore the saving youve been offered.

Every camera on the market today is <1.5 years away from being replaced by a new model :D

Good stuff. I don't tend to shoot quickly either so buffers don't matter and despite never having weather sealed kit I've never (touch wood) had a problem. I don't think it would matter to me which I got (if I get) just wondering about the options and future firmware.

I think the X-T1 as the flagship model costing almost twice as much will get supported for longer than the X-T10. See how they took care to announce Frimeware 4 before they announced the T10 with the snazzy new AF modes.

Personally the X-T1's only real benefit (I don't really shoot in proper rain or do a lot of burst shooting) for me is the bigger 0.77x EVF but the low light refresh of the X-T10 panel is meant to be the same as the X-T1 so I'm happy, plus Wex offer fantastic trade in value at the moment. I asked both Park and LCE to value an X-Pro 1 and got nowhere near the £260 (+80 bonus) Wex are offering!

Every camera on the market today is <1.5 years away from being replaced by a new model :D

Sigh... :D

It's difficult coming from the outside and asking questions and not appearing to bash the system.

Yes, I know that the X-T1 is the top of the line but it is a model that's been out for some time now and I make no apology for considering that it may be replaced some time soon after I spend a dollop of my money on one.

Good stuff. I don't tend to shoot quickly either so buffers don't matter and despite never having weather sealed kit I've never (touch wood) had a problem. I don't think it would matter to me which I got (if I get) just wondering about the options and future firmware.

If you wonder to long the next model will be along,then wonder again,you get the picture, you'll never own a camera ;)

If you wonder to long the next model will be along,then wonder again,you get the picture, you'll never own a camera ;)

I can't see anything wrong with thinking about the plus and minus points of buying a "flagship" camera that's been out for some time v a newly released but slightly lower spec model.

Anyway, I now have enough info to make my own mind up.

Thanks all and TTFN :D

It's difficult coming from the outside and asking questions and not appearing to bash the system.

Yes, I know that the X-T1 is the top of the line but it is a model that's been out for some time now and I make no apology for considering that it may be replaced some time soon after I spend a dollop of my money on one.

The thing is in about a years time the XP2 is going to cost a LOT of money, a lot more than you will pay for a refurbd XT1 now, which may do everything you need. So you can either buy now, enjoy and build up your lens collection over time or wait and cough up for a new camera and all the lenses you want in one go.

Absolutely. I'm the same and always look to "future-proof" my purchases and avoid missing out on a new model by a few months. I can't see a new XT2 any time soon and I'd be amazed if Fujis next big release isn't the X-Pro2. We'll see ;)

Last edited:
The XP2/XT2 will probably have the rumoured new 24mp sensor, but it's not likely to be for another 12 months as twist says. That's a long time to hold on!

Buying the X-T10 you will get the same sensor as the X-T1 and save yourself a few quid :)

Always good to read this thread - the to-ing and fro-ing, the lens line ups, the firmware etc and anything that @minnnt contributes to always raises a smile :)
It makes the XT-1 a really desirable item
Then i found this vid - apologies if it has been posted before, but there are 127 pages of this thread! - and it really does make a great case for the system and the particular prime lenses.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liygiluT6lk

Lol. I must admit that most camera owner threads that i have been part of (quite a few ;) ) usually stay close to the top of the equipment forum. Usually spouting some tosh about how good the system is and declaring i won't be swapping anytime soon. Then a week later saying I'm off back to Nikon or similar... :D

I bought an X-T1 last week. I ordered a refurb with the 18-135 the day after v4.0 was announced, having waited a couple of months reading rumours of firmware updates, XT10s, X-E3s and X-Pro2s. My logic was thus:

- The T10 is newer, but the T1 is still the better camera, still the flag-bearer for now, and will be supported with at least the same firmware for the next couple of years. Frankly, both are so bloody good it's not worth worrying about whether they'll be supported in another 2 years.
- On paper, the X-T10 is arguably an E2 in T1 clothing, with new firmware, which will probably coming to the E2 eventually anyway. Fuji have been smart to make it look and sound like a T1 to avoid this comparison and increase its perceived value, but that's what it appears to be to my eyes.
- The key features that make the T1 such a great camera are the weather sealing and the EVF. I wanted both of those, so the X-T1 was an easy choice. If I didn't, I'd have gone for the T10 or E2 without worrying about it.

People often worry far too much about when the next big thing will be out. Those are usually the same guys constantly flipping to get the "new thing" - I see it on guitar forums ALL THE TIME. Don't be that guy. In reality, the next "new thing" is always less than a year away - it's the same with TVs, laptops, cameras, tablets, phones, guitar gear. If you have the money and will use and enjoy the device, buy it now and get the value from the extra year of owning it. If you're not sure, wait and get the "new thing" when it releases. Just be aware that that one won't be the "new thing" for very long either.

Lol. I must admit that most camera owner threads that i have been part of (quite a few ;) ) usually stay close to the top of the equipment forum. Usually spouting some tosh about how good the system is and declaring i won't be swapping anytime soon. Then a week later saying I'm off back to Nikon or similar... :D
Haven't seen you near Sony or Samsung yet ..................

I have a Sony and a Samsung. iPod dock and tablet respectively! ;)

I'm doing pretty well, on the front page of threads here right now I can see my little icon on the following...

D750
Sony a7
Panasonic G
Fuji X-E1/2
Olympus OMD

Although to be fair that's a good number of years worth!

I genuinely couldn't see me going back to a conventional DSLR now, and wouldn't go to a smaller sensor so M4/3 is out. The only itch I haven't fully scratched is Sony...full-frame mirrorless appeals to me greatly but the FE lens range just isn't there yet (although it's improving), I loved the a7 but ended up adding the adaptor to use the lovely Alpha glass available (the 135mm 1.8 is unbelievable). If the Sony a99 ever dropped in price and/or they refreshed the line-up with a new body I might be tempted.

New cashback offers start tomorrow on lenses like last year, £75 on 1, £225 on 2, £375 on 3 and £525 on 4.
Extra £150 per lens for 5 or more.

Runs from May 21st to August 3rd - Excludes 18-135 as part of a kit, 18mm, 27mm, 56mm APD, 90mm and sadly the 16mm :(

Also £75 on a Body or Kit (XT-1) and the free grip with an 18-135 kit remains.

Reactions: JYC
New cashback offers start tomorrow on lenses like last year, £75 on 1, £225 on 2, £375 on 3 and £525 on 4.

Runs from May 21st to August 3rd - Excludes 18-135 as part of a kit, 18mm, 27mm, 56mm APD, 90mm and sadly the 16mm :(

Wasnt it £500 off 3 last time?

Hmm, now I wander how my receipt from wex will be worded. Will it be a camera and 2 kit lenses, a camera with kit lens and another lens or a camera with 2 lenses?

Not holding out much hope for anything but you never know :D

The official February roadmap (still on the Fuji site) showed 100-400 and 35mm f2 with no WR, so no different.

This is the first time the 100-400 has been given aperture values though.

New road map. Apparently.

The 35mm doesn't say WR and it also shows the new telephoto is 100-400. No idea how trustworthy this is though. :LOL:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/40499-latest-lens-roadmap-released-may-18-2015/

And piccies are in the new brochure but no specs on the yet to be released lenses with no fixed date. http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/pdf/lenses_accessories_catalogue_01.pdf

The difficult shout for me is 90mm f2 for Fuji or 135L f2 for my Canon 6D. The latter being a very acclaimed lens, but some of the test piccies from the 90mm are stunning.

I'm going to wait until the new AF focus system has been tested by some of you before I move to a X-T1, from my X-E1/X-E2!!!

Last edited:
Ok, sold my 16-50 and 35 today so it looks like Center Parcs this weekend is going to be using a manual Helios 58mm... Should be good fun! :)

The difficult shout for me is 90mm f2 for Fuji or 135L f2 for my Canon 6D. The latter being a very acclaimed lens, but some of the test piccies from the 90mm are stunning.

The L is superb, I guess it also depends on whether you want the shallower DOF the FF will offer or not.

The L is superb, I guess it also depends on whether you want the shallower DOF the FF will offer or not.

I know, I know, decisions, decisions, but I'm in no rush (unlike some on this thread!!!) so I'm going to wait until I see some 'real user' shots from the 90mm and some of you report back on the AF system update.

Sound good,another £75 of the 16-55mm will do me fine :)

Back