The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I've been reading the info and looking at the images from the Viltrox images with interest. Is there much difference between the mk I and mk II versions of the 85mm f1.8?

Cheers,

Simon.

The mkII is 150g lighter, they also changed the hood for it as some were complaining the mk1 hood was a bit janky [the mkII has a new petal type hood, the mk1 has a plain circular one] Personally I find it grand, maybe I got lucky as the hood for mine clicks on and off even reversed without any hassle. Hoods are not something I tend to think twice about really, if it fits I'm good. Other than that I've seen no reports suggesting they are any different optically. I would guess the mkII is already FW updated: though my mk1 came with the latest FW pre-installed, might be a later batch hence why the hood for mine was completely fine too. I'm gonna say mine is a mk1.5 :ROFLMAO:

I think the mkII might be the better option for anyone using the lighter Fuji bodies, for me I like the weight of the lens on the X-H1. It feels really stable and sturdy in hand, that H1 grip helps of course.

Last edited:
Some very nice images there. Have you tried the 23mm in portrait to generate a pano? I often use the 10-24 at the long end for this....

Cheers. To be honest I'd just use the 16-55 in similar circumstances. Might use the 23mm for astro from time to time though. The 23mm's main use will be day to day stuff and family trips out though obviously that isn't happening quite as much at present as we'd all like.

The mkII is 150g lighter, they also changed the hood for it as some were complaining the mk1 hood was a bit janky [the mkII has a new petal type hood, the mk1 has a plain circular one] Personally I find it grand, maybe I got lucky as the hood for mine clicks on and off even reversed without any hassle. Hoods are not something I tend to think twice about really, if it fits I'm good. Other than that I've seen no reports suggesting they are any different optically. I would guess the mkII is already FW updated: though my mk1 came with the latest FW pre-installed, might be a later batch hence why the hood for mine was completely fine too. I'm gonna say mine is a mk1.5 :ROFLMAO:

I think the mkII might be the better option for anyone using the lighter Fuji bodies, for me I like the weight of the lens on the X-H1. It feels really stable and sturdy in hand, that H1 grip helps of course.

Thanks for that Keith. If they’re optically identical, then there’s quite a saving to be had going for the mk I. Hhhmmm, will have to have a think about that.

simon.

Thanks for that Keith. If they’re optically identical, then there’s quite a saving to be had going for the mk I. Hhhmmm, will have to have a think about that.

simon.

I was set to buy the mkII until I got the tip off on here about the mk1 going for such a smashing price on FB - thanks to @c22w1 - I've never really minded a bit of weight to a lens. A good saving for me tops that :)

I was set to buy the mkII until I got the tip off on here about the mk1 going for such a smashing price on FB - thanks to @c22w1 - I've never really minded a bit of weight to a lens. A good saving for me tops that :)
My thoughts exactly - 160 notes for a Mk1 is bargain basement prices.
Think I can live with a bit of extra weight on the XT2 at that price.

Although - as a side note, I've probably already had my "special treatment".
I bought the first Viltrox 85mm for Fuji that he sold. He had the description down as a manual focus lens but all the photos were of an AF lens. I questioned it to find out which version he was actually selling and it turns out he had made an error in the listing and it was the AF version. He corrected the price to the £150 that he sells them for now (still a bargain) but said that he would honour the price he had put on it originally. Of course I said YES PLEASE.
And the price I paid...... a rock bottom £100.
Not many sellers would do that, not even high street stores.

I doubt you'll get even more off. I've bought loads off him in the past. Bought for friends etc and even started off his selling spree off on here and I dont get any special treatment [emoji4].

It's always worth a shot, he is doing me the 33mm if I want it for a solid price , he mentioned because I'd bought the 85 already - but it'll be more about the delivery than the cost of lens. It was £18 for the 85 to Ireland, he's basically offering the 33 to me minus that delivery cost which is enticing AF! still gotta shift the 35mm though

Although - as a side note, I've probably already had my "special treatment".
I bought the first Viltrox 85mm for Fuji that he sold. He had the description down as a manual focus lens but all the photos were of an AF lens. I questioned it to find out which version he was actually selling and it turns out he had made an error in the listing and it was the AF version. He corrected the price to the £150 that he sells them for now (still a bargain) but said that he would honour the price he had put on it originally. Of course I said YES PLEASE.
And the price I paid...... a rock bottom £100.
Not many sellers would do that, not even high street stores.

These might be daft questions, but here we go. Are the lenses he sells new? Any warranty with them?

Cheers,

Simon.

These might be daft questions, but here we go. Are the lenses he sells new? Any warranty with them?

Cheers,

Simon.
Don't think they have a warranty that I'm aware of.

Lee did tell me they are brand new ex warehouse stock - whatever that means.

Cheers,

Simon.

From what I gather they are open box, possibly ex-demo models, mine was like new but had been opened. I think for the money you take your chances. As you can see though, from the experience of a few of us right here, everything is legit and I wouldn't be concerned. Think of it as buying used, but in mint con - only you're paying less ....

Don't think they have a warranty that I'm aware of.

Lee did tell me they are brand new ex warehouse stock - whatever that means.

I take it that means they were promo/demo/tester models really. Mine was already updated to the latest FW - I went to do it and discovered it was already set. Looked like it hadn't been used besides. Hood was still untouched in plastic wrap and there was still a silica gel pack in with the lens

Last edited:

Cheers,

Simon.
From what I understand he is originally from Guangdong where the Viltrox factory is located. Although he states they are ex-wharehouse stock, I think the warehouse he refers to is actually the Vitrox WH in Guangdong and he imports them from there. Every box, as I understand it has been opened (at least everyone I've had has been) and the lenses have been checked over. Everything I have had has looked as you would expect a new lens or adapter to look.
I don't think there is any warranty but it might be worth taking that up with him to be sure. To be honest the lenses he sells are usually less money than what a second hand lens sells for anywy.
As I have stated before I have bought many times from him and only once did a lens arrive faulty (something was loose inside and rattling about) I contacted him immediately on receipt and he agreed to a replacement without question or argument.
Of course I can only comment on my experience but so far, touch wood, I have no cause for complaint.

If it's not too far to travel he also allows collection (I did this when I first bought from him, it's about 30 mile for me) and then you can obviously test/try out before buying.

Last edited:
From what I understand he is originally from Guangdong where the Viltrox factory is located. Although he states they are ex-wharehouse stock, I think the warehouse he refers to is actually the Vitrox WH in Guangdong and he imports them from there. Every box, as I understand it has been opened (at least everyone I've had has been) and the lenses have been checked over. Everything I have had has looked as you would expect a new lens or adapter to look.
I don't think there is any warranty but it might be worth taking that up with him to be sure. To be honest the lenses he sells are usually less money than what a second lens sells for anywy.
As I have stated before I have bought many times from him and only once did a lens arrive faulty (something was loose inside and rattling about) I contacted him immediately on receipt and he agreed to a replacement without question or argument.
Of course I can only comment on my experience but so far, touch wood, I have no cause for complaint.

If it's not too far to travel he also allows collection (I did this when I first bought from him, it's about 30 mile for me) and then you can obviously test/try out before buying.

I only ever get the impression from him that's he's legit, he always responds and there's no faffing about - he's pretty straight up. I know I'd rather deal with him than many used sellers

I only ever get the impression from him that's he's legit, he always responds and there's no faffing about - he's pretty straight up. I know I'd rather deal with him than many used sellers
Absolutely but if anyone is at all unsure or uncomfortable then it would be best to pass on it. It's not worth spending money on something if it makes you feel uneasy in any way.
My experience and now many others on here has been nothing but positive.
I am from Yorkshire and us Yorkshire folk don't spend any more than we have to on something.
I am just trying to help other members on here and save them money in the long run.

I am from Yorkshire and us Yorkshire folk don't spend any more than we have to on something.

I think Broke Irishman actually tops that :ROFLMAO: (y) I won't take coin out me pocket for less than a solid reason

But yup, as i told you already, very thankful here. Those wanting anything more are expecting a bit much as the deals here are epic. Take the chance ... or go safe and pay double, it's not even something should be up for debate.

Last edited:
I know I am fickle dipping in and out of this site, however I love to pop in and see what is happening. BUT it is costly as now I desperately need the Viltrox 85mm and for £150, how can I say no?? Now off to convince the other 'alf I do need another lens after all (after the many promises that I do not need any!)
Luckily I can't see the 23 or 33 on the site...

Last edited:
I know I am fickle dipping in and out of this site, however I love to pop in and see what is happening. BUT it is costly as now I desperately need the Viltrox 85mm and for £150, how can I say no?? Now off to convince the other 'alf I do need another lens after all (after the many promises that I do not need any!)
Luckily I can't see the 23 or 33 on the site...
Just tell your other half how much you'd be saving and not how much it costs, job done [emoji106]

Just invested in the XT-4 after being a Canon user for years. I have the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm lens.

I haven't used it much yet bit I do find using it in portrait mode a little difficult to use BBF and press the shutter release.

Just invested in the XT-4 after being a Canon user for years. I have the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm lens.

I haven't used it much yet bit I do find using it in portrait mode a little difficult to use BBF and press the shutter release.

Why dont you use the shutter release to also AF instead?

Last edited:
I guess it is after all the years using BBF>
If your focus dial is set to M with back button focus and not on the shutter just flick it over to S when you do a portrait orientation shot or keep it on S and the back button and shutter will focus.

Or assign another button to bbf. (edit ael button is much easier to reach as bff button )

Or buy the grip like I did.

Last edited:
I finally caved-in to temptation and picked up the XT4 and grip yesterday, courtesy of FujiMatt on here.
I haven't really tested stills yet but I did a quick test with IBIS on handheld video yesterday evening and have to say I'm so impressed,

I still have my XT3 and grip so I did a comparison of the two cameras, filming the same handheld footage, including walking towards my wife, using the same lens, and the difference was definitely worth the upgrade for me. I'm looking forward to getting out and testing it more. :)

I finally caved-in to temptation and picked up the XT4 and grip yesterday, courtesy of FujiMatt on here.
I haven't really tested stills yet but I did a quick test with IBIS on handheld video yesterday evening and have to say I'm so impressed,

I still have my XT3 and grip so I did a comparison of the two cameras, filming the same handheld footage, including walking towards my wife, using the same lens, and the difference was definitely worth the upgrade for me. I'm looking forward to getting out and testing it more. :)

It's a fantastic camera if the ibis is useful to you. Unfortunately I've discovered ibis is useless to me, I still stick it on a tripod and turn ibis off.

I'm 50/50 on selling mine and getting another V.

I'm contemplating a T4 now prices are coming down a bit. Missing IBIS a lot

I've just bought an X-E1 to have a play with, I love the sensor on the XP1 so will just keep the XE1 in my car with the 35 1,4 on :)

It's a fantastic camera if the ibis is useful to you. Unfortunately I've discovered ibis is useless to me, I still stick it on a tripod and turn ibis off.

I'm 50/50 on selling mine and getting another V.

Not just the IBIS, the rear screen is so much nicer, the increased (albeit slightly) frames per second, I prefer the slightly larger feel, and 1080p 240fps.
I'm fully aware the stills capability won't really be a big difference, other than the fact I will be able to handhold at a much lower shutter speed.

I know this won't be for everyone. :)

Not just the IBIS, the rear screen is so much nicer, the increased (albeit slightly) frames per second, I prefer the slightly larger feel, and 1080p 240fps.
I'm fully aware the stills capability won't really be a big difference, other than the fact I will be able to handhold at a much lower shutter speed.

I know this won't be for everyone. :)

Struggling to gel with mine:(

Only used it once (twice if that includes the back garden when I had it) and can't be bothered to pick it up, keep taking my v and f out.
I like the bigger grip but can't help to think that Fujis are getting bigger and heavier. I started with Fuji years ago because they were smaller and lighter, no longer the case unfortunately.

I'm contemplating a T4 now prices are coming down a bit. Missing IBIS a lot

Save a tonne, get another H1. I've watched a bunch of reviews on the T4, fine camera, but from what I can tell there's no major benefit at least for me. All the upgrades seem video based. No big swing on IQ, AF might be a little nippier but honestly, I do wonder how anyone struggles with the AF of any ML cam. It would take a lot of convincing for me to fork out for a T4 at current prices even if I had the spare cash, I'd invest in lenses instead.

I think the only camera for me beyond would be to go FF - and even then I don't think I'd find much of an improvement. We've seen many here go FF because they felt the urge, but they still take the same pictures, I've never seen any 'wow' factor after people switch and they often end up switching back for something like a H1

Last edited:
Back