The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

The 85mm is very nice, it's the best 85 I've used to date at least though I've not had many, the Nikon 85 1.8G and Canon 85 1.8 USM being the only serious ones I could compare to. It's better than both, easily. The only competition for Fuji is the 90F2 and from the comparisons I've seen since it's release, the Viltrox 85 stands up very well. it might not be quite as sharp, or quite as fast on the AF but after recent firmware updates it's close enough to save £300+ on. And that's Brand new Vs used, you don't often see the 90mm for less than 600 even used.

You can have the 85mm and either the 23 or 33mm for the price [if not less than] the 90mm alone. No brainer if ever there was one

Last edited:
Just how sharp is that???? It may be expensive but it certainly seems worth it..

Steve, I originally purchased the 200mm F2 lenses for myself & staff togs when I was personally shooting high end motor sport, so they quickly paid for themselves. I changed the structure of how we work at the end of last year by using tried & trusted freelance togs from each country so I sold almost all of our company gear, just keeping one of each lens for my personal use and the 200mm F2 lens is one of them. I don’t use it very much but must admit it can produce the results when it has to.

George,

Morning all!

Just placed made a purchase for a Viltrox 85mm F1.8.
Will look forward to having a play about with it.

So....... I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and I quite fancy a viltrox lens -

Talk to me about the 23/33 and 85.

My head says 85 for portraits of the kids etc plus 85 gives me some extra reach over my 18-55 too.

For those that own any of these, let me know your thoughts on these lenses.
Cheers

I've got both the 33 & 85, very happy with both focus speed & accuracy, as for image quality for the stuff I shoot I am very happy with the results and use the 33 as go to now in the studio.

I've got both the 33 & 85, very happy with both focus speed & accuracy, as for image quality for the stuff I shoot I am very happy with the results and use the 33 as go to now in the studio.

Well having just purchased an 85 if that goes well then I think I will treat myself to the 23 and 33 and then maybe a Samyang 12mm.

Get rid of the 18-55 and run a full prime setup.

Just processing some images from today here myself, we paid a visit to my partner's Gran who is almost 95, thought it was a good time to get some pics of her as she's getting pretty frail these days. I didn't want to ask her to move about much just so I could get nice portraits but I managed to get some candids of her in her usual spot by the window. The Viltrox 85 performed very nicely, from wide open to slightly closed doen indoors - though there was nice fading sunlight coming through that helped a lot.

Just a few from today, mostly shot personal family images - I was shooting more for posterity than anything else. This is Agnes, 94 years young, and her dog Panda, and unamused cat 'Puss paws' [wanna argue with a 94yr old over the name?] pictured here sat on the bonnet of my Father in law's 2016 merc - like the cat gave a f**k lol. I would really love to get her outside and do some nice shallow DOF portraits to make her really stand out but, easier said than done, she wasn't in best shape when we arrived. Very frail but still in great spirit. She's a classy lady and I love chatting to her

Forgot to add, these were shot using the X-H1 + Viltrox 85mm 1.8

Agnes by K G, on Flickr

Panda #1 by K G, on Flickr

Puss Paws by K G, on Flickr

Panda #2 by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just a few from today, mostly shot personal family images - I was shooting more for posterity than anything else. This is Agnes, 94 years young, and her dog Panda, and unamused cat 'Puss paws' [wanna argue with a 94yr old over the name?] pictured here sat on the bonnet of my Father in law's 2016 merc - like the cat gave a f**k lol. I would really love to get her outside and do some nice shallow DOF portraits to make her really stand out but, easier said than done, she wasn't in best shape when we arrived. Very frail but still in great spirit. She's a classy lady and I love chatting to her

Agnes by K G, on Flickr

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Agnes by K G, on Flickr

Very nice. Colours in the 2nd one are lush

The 85mm is very nice, it's the best 85 I've used to date at least though I've not had many, the Nikon 85 1.8G and Canon 85 1.8 USM being the only serious ones I could compare to. It's better than both, easily. The only competition for Fuji is the 90F2 and from the comparisons I've seen since it's release, the Viltrox 85 stands up very well. it might not be quite as sharp, or quite as fast on the AF but after recent firmware updates it's close enough to save £300+ on. And that's Brand new Vs used, you don't often see the 90mm for less than 600 even used.

You can have the 85mm and either the 23 or 33mm for the price [if not less than] the 90mm alone. No brainer if ever there was one
I’m about to put up my 56 for sale to fund a Viltrox 85. Had one before and miss it. I’ve messaged the Facebook seller you used

It's about 2 months since I got my hands on an X-T4 and rejoined the Fuji camp. I'm thoroughly enjoying it I must say, There are still some quirks I need to get used to but it's all starting to flow nicely and I'm finding myself using SOOC jpegs a lot which is great because I'm not brilliant at PP and it's always more satisfying to get everything right at the point of capture. My lenses consist of Samyang 12mm, 16-55 2.8, 50-140mm 2.8 and 23mm 1.4. Until last week I had an 18mm f/2 as well. The 16-55 is getting used a lot. It's a bit bulky but you can just put 100% faith in it whatever you're shooting. Fantastic. The 23mm is probably my favourite but gets less use as I rarely take it out for landscape trips but it's a gorgeous thing.

A few from the last few weeks.

Shapes by G.A.D, on Flickr

Blue Tyne by G.A.D, on Flickr

Low Newton by G.A.D, on Flickr

Sycamore Gap at Sunset by G.A.D, on Flickr

Poppies by G.A.D, on Flickr

Last edited:
It's about 2 months since I got my hands on an X-T4 and rejoined the Fuji camp. I'm thoroughly enjoying it I must say, There are still some quirks I need to get used to but it's all starting to flow nicely and I'm finding myself using SOOC jpegs a lot which is great because I'm not brilliant at PP and it's always more satisfying to get everything right at the point of capture. My lenses consist of Samyang 12mm, 16-55 2.8, 50-140mm 2.8 and 23mm 1.4. Until last week I had an 18mm f/2 as well. The 16-55 is getting used a lot. It's a bit bulky but you can just put 100% faith in it whatever you're shooting. Fantastic. The 23mm is probably my favourite but gets less use as I rarely take it out for landscape trips but it's a gorgeous thing.

Some very nice images there. Have you tried the 23mm in portrait to generate a pano? I often use the 10-24 at the long end for this....

I’m about to put up my 56 for sale to fund a Viltrox 85. Had one before and miss it. I’ve messaged the Facebook seller you used

Nice, I've never used the 56, looks a fine lens but as I like a 35 on apsc as my main I find 50,56 too close to it. I think the 85 is a nice change up.

I've had loads of stuff off him in the past. Glad it's helping a few of you out, most of his stuff is well below second hand prices.

He's offering me a sweet deal on the 33, I have to try sell my xc35 first though. I don't mind either way of I can't sell it but I'd like to give that 33 a go.

He's offering me a sweet deal on the 33, I have to try sell my xc35 first though. I don't mind either way of I can't sell it but I'd like to give that 33 a go.

He messaged and said he had a 33, but I've not had a chance to research one yet

Nice, I've never used the 56, looks a fine lens but as I like a 35 on apsc as my main I find 50,56 too close to it. I think the 85 is a nice change up.

It's one of my favourite Fuji lenses, just feel I could use more length for my upcoming projects

It's one of my favourite Fuji lenses, just feel I could use more length for my upcoming projects

In an ideal world we'd have them all :) I think it's great a company like this offers those on tighter budget these options. If they do go ahead with the rumored 56 1.4 that'll be interesting. You could have both in that case

Well I've decided to put my Nikon Z gear up for sale and come back to fuji again!! Just ordered a used XT3 for a decent price so just need some lenses.

I'm thinking a 10-24 as I loved that lens for architecture and landscape along with 56mm for street and portraits.

The viltrox 33 ive also been looking at so if anyone could pm me info of the Facebook details it would be appreciated.

Well I've decided to put my Nikon Z gear up for sale and come back to fuji again!! Just ordered a used XT3 for a decent price so just need some lenses.

I'm thinking a 10-24 as I loved that lens for architecture and landscape along with 56mm for street and portraits.

The viltrox 33 ive also been looking at so if anyone could pm me info of the Facebook details it would be appreciated.
His name is Lee and the face book page is. Tell him Chris put you on to him.

“Excellent” set of Fujigraphs Graham, liking all of these very much with #1 pushing all the right buttons for me.

George.

I've been reading the info and looking at the images from the Viltrox images with interest. Is there much difference between the mk I and mk II versions of the 85mm f1.8?

Cheers,

Simon.

Back