The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Does anyone have an X-H2s on here and been able to compare it to the other big 3 brands on AF performance? Autofocus as the main thing that put me off the X-T4 when I had it on loan so interested to hear how the new generation Fuji's compare.

M7GgoYjOim4.jpg

My first impressions of the Fujifilm X-E4. I got my camera with the XF 27/2.8 (mk1) and I think pancakes like this are perfect for the X-E4. They really make the camera look pocketable.

There is no charger in the package for some reason. The camera charges via USB-C, but the charger itself was not added. Apparently decided to save money. Also there is no flash! The X-E2 and X-E3 came with a charger and a cool retro flash.

As for the appearance, the camera seems even smaller than the X-E3. It even kind of reminds me of the Panasonic GX880. I mean, it's really the same size as a Micro 4/3. But the X-E4 is made of metal, has a viewfinder and a larger sensor. It is nice to hold the camera in your hands, no complaints about the workmanship, but next to the X-Pro2, the X-E4 looks a bit simpler and cheaper.

There is no grip, at all. It seems to me that Fujifilm decided to make the camera "modular" like the Sigma FP. So you can buy a finger rest, an extra grip, a pouch or a wrist strap if you want. I received my camera with an extra finger rest, so it's pretty comfortable to hold. I plan to add a wrist strap, then I think it would be really good.

The buttons on the X-E4 are few and far between, as well as the tilt wheel next to the screen and the focus mode switch. That said, the available buttons and knobs are pretty small. The joystick is rather short and the exposure wheel sometimes gets confused. On the X-Pro2, the knobs are larger, more comfortable, have a nicer stroke, and don't bunch up.

bG4M6YP0hsE.jpg

The lack of buttons is replaced by a touch screen that supports swipes. You can hang four functions on those swipes. But still, it is often necessary to go to the menu. By the way, the X-Pro2 has a non-touch screen which does not support swipes. As for the screen quality, it is excellent: it is bright, even in sunlight, and has great detail. It has a resolution of 1.6 megapixels, while X-S10 has the older generation screen of only 1 Mp.

The screen is made hinged, it can also flip in selfies. And this caused a problem - if you flip the screen 90 degrees and bring the camera to your belt, the picture flips. As they write on the forums, the only way to fix it is to put duct tape on half of the EVF sensor to make it less sensitive.

There are a lot of new items and functions in the menu, which I have not yet disassembled. However, it seems to me that menu became a bit cluttered and does not match the visual style of the camera. What is interesting is that I can save raw with lossy compression and the file size is only 21MB.

In terms of autofocus speed, I noticed some improvements compared to X-E3 and even X-Pro2. For example, the slow XF 35/1.4 lens is focusing about 20% faster and has less stutter in low light. The most noticeable change was in the tracking AF, it got noticeably better. For example, you can tap on the screen on the figure of a person - and the camera tracks its movement quite accurately, allowing you to take a lot of sharp shots.

The picture is also an improvement over X-Pro2 or X-E3. They added a little more detail (26MP) and interesting film simulations: Classic Negative, Eterna. There's some new dynamic range expansion mode. You can also turn on the Color Chrome effect, which darkens the colors and makes them thicker. The JPG picture is hard to fault - it's very good! You can just shoot in JPG on different films and have fun with it.

Overall, the camera gives a positive impression of the picture and the speed of the autofocus. In this respect, the upgrade is justified. There is even a wow effect: I can not believe that such a small box can give out such a picture. The camera really fits into a jacket pocket and any bag. But the ergonomics of the X-E4 will take some getting used to. You will need a finger rest or wrist strap for this camera. You also have to use swipes on the touch screen because there aren't enough buttons.

Clearly, it's out of the question to hang some kind of half-pound lens on this camera. The X-E4 is perfect for XF 18/2 pancakes, XF 27/2.8, and small fxes like 23/2, 35/2, 35/1.4, 50/2. I think it's an interesting option for an entry-level Fujifilm camera that you can customize to your liking. The X-E4 would be great for walking and traveling, you could probably use it to shoot video.

M7GgoYjOim4.jpg

My first impressions of the Fujifilm X-E4. I got my camera with the XF 27/2.8 (mk1) and I think pancakes like this are perfect for the X-E4. They really make the camera look pocketable.

There is no charger in the package for some reason. The camera charges via USB-C, but the charger itself was not added. Apparently decided to save money. Also there is no flash! The X-E2 and X-E3 came with a charger and a cool retro flash.

As for the appearance, the camera seems even smaller than the X-E3. It even kind of reminds me of the Panasonic GX880. I mean, it's really the same size as a Micro 4/3. But the X-E4 is made of metal, has a viewfinder and a larger sensor. It is nice to hold the camera in your hands, no complaints about the workmanship, but next to the X-Pro2, the X-E4 looks a bit simpler and cheaper.

There is no grip, at all. It seems to me that Fujifilm decided to make the camera "modular" like the Sigma FP. So you can buy a finger rest, an extra grip, a pouch or a wrist strap if you want. I received my camera with an extra finger rest, so it's pretty comfortable to hold. I plan to add a wrist strap, then I think it would be really good.

The buttons on the X-E4 are few and far between, as well as the tilt wheel next to the screen and the focus mode switch. That said, the available buttons and knobs are pretty small. The joystick is rather short and the exposure wheel sometimes gets confused. On the X-Pro2, the knobs are larger, more comfortable, have a nicer stroke, and don't bunch up.

bG4M6YP0hsE.jpg

The lack of buttons is replaced by a touch screen that supports swipes. You can hang four functions on those swipes. But still, it is often necessary to go to the menu. By the way, the X-Pro2 has a non-touch screen which does not support swipes. As for the screen quality, it is excellent: it is bright, even in sunlight, and has great detail. It has a resolution of 1.6 megapixels, while X-S10 has the older generation screen of only 1 Mp.

The screen is made hinged, it can also flip in selfies. And this caused a problem - if you flip the screen 90 degrees and bring the camera to your belt, the picture flips. As they write on the forums, the only way to fix it is to put duct tape on half of the EVF sensor to make it less sensitive.

There are a lot of new items and functions in the menu, which I have not yet disassembled. However, it seems to me that menu became a bit cluttered and does not match the visual style of the camera. What is interesting is that I can save raw with lossy compression and the file size is only 21MB.

In terms of autofocus speed, I noticed some improvements compared to X-E3 and even X-Pro2. For example, the slow XF 35/1.4 lens is focusing about 20% faster and has less stutter in low light. The most noticeable change was in the tracking AF, it got noticeably better. For example, you can tap on the screen on the figure of a person - and the camera tracks its movement quite accurately, allowing you to take a lot of sharp shots.

The picture is also an improvement over X-Pro2 or X-E3. They added a little more detail (26MP) and interesting film simulations: Classic Negative, Eterna. There's some new dynamic range expansion mode. You can also turn on the Color Chrome effect, which darkens the colors and makes them thicker. The JPG picture is hard to fault - it's very good! You can just shoot in JPG on different films and have fun with it.

Overall, the camera gives a positive impression of the picture and the speed of the autofocus. In this respect, the upgrade is justified. There is even a wow effect: I can not believe that such a small box can give out such a picture. The camera really fits into a jacket pocket and any bag. But the ergonomics of the X-E4 will take some getting used to. You will need a finger rest or wrist strap for this camera. You also have to use swipes on the touch screen because there aren't enough buttons.

Clearly, it's out of the question to hang some kind of half-pound lens on this camera. The X-E4 is perfect for XF 18/2 pancakes, XF 27/2.8, and small fxes like 23/2, 35/2, 35/1.4, 50/2. I think it's an interesting option for an entry-level Fujifilm camera that you can customize to your liking. The X-E4 would be great for walking and traveling, you could probably use it to shoot video.

Nice little review very nearly got it, but changed my mind and got the X-T3.

It is sold now.
I really only need the X100V body, filter ring and lens cap as I want it to finish my X100 set. I have the X100, X100T and X100F but the lens on the X100V is so much better.

Have an F up for grabs in the classifieds...

Also shameless plug for a 10-24 f4 and 100-400 also for sale!

Having a bit of a clear-out and re-org on kit. Chances are I will then look to buy the exact same next year!

The V (on its way) will mean I have had every X100 (although the S was only with me for a couple of days then I sent it back!)
Thanks but I have the X100, X100T and X100F but the lens on the X100V is so much better.
Each camera renders slightly differently but all are beautiful to use. The X100 makes lovely images but the focusing is sooooo sloooow!

I am looking at that XE4 v XPro2 shot in post#68124 by @Pomo

Never really considered any XE3,4 updates since I got my XE2 which I still like, but the XE4 looks like a smaller XPro2, obviously with no OVF, but I use the EVF all the time. Maybe this is in some ways a better answer than an X100V. More things to think about.

Does anyone have an X-H2s on here and been able to compare it to the other big 3 brands on AF performance? Autofocus as the main thing that put me off the X-T4 when I had it on loan so interested to hear how the new generation Fuji's compare.
Yep. Me.
Well actually I can only compare to Sony and OMD Systems. I have had the A7iii, A7riii, A7riv and the A1. Also the Olympus OM-1
I’ve also had several Fuji including the X-T4
Currently using the X-H2S
I’m finding the autofocus performance of the H2S as capable as the Sony and Olympus. Particularly pleased to say that eye af is finally matching the other two. AF-C is confident and sticky.
Bird detection and focus on the eye is definitely Voodoo. So good. I’ve use Animal detection on my dog, it recognises the animal but struggles a bit to find his eye. He’s got a black face. The Sony and Olympus were pretty much the same.
It’s turning out to be a very capable camera. Highly recommended.
Of course I’m known to switch a bit. In my world nothing is forever…

Yep. Me.
Well actually I can only compare to Sony and OMD Systems. I have had the A7iii, A7riii, A7riv and the A1. Also the Olympus OM-1
I’ve also had several Fuji including the X-T4
Currently using the X-H2S
I’m finding the autofocus performance of the H2S as capable as the Sony and Olympus. Particularly pleased to say that eye af is finally matching the other two. AF-C is confident and sticky.
Bird detection and focus on the eye is definitely Voodoo. So good. I’ve use Animal detection on my dog, it recognises the animal but struggles a bit to find his eye. He’s got a black face. The Sony and Olympus were pretty much the same.
It’s turning out to be a very capable camera. Highly recommended.
Of course I’m known to switch a bit. In my world nothing is forever…
Thanks for the reply. So you think the X-H2S is now up there with the Sony A1?

I tried an X-T4 and some lenses earlier in the year and love the 35/1.4 WR, and the output of the 56/1.2 but I found the 56 really jittery on focusing and the X-T4 also a bit erratic on AF too. Very similar to the Z6/Z7ii I was used to but frustrating. If Fuji have fixed the AF, and it sounds like they've fixed the 56mm in the new version as well, then I think I need to take a look. Having to lug around a Z9 to get decent AF is not good for the back, and I find I don't take much with me when intending to shoot either, so the compactness still appeals.

Hi Pete

Cannot compare to the Sony A1 but had the Olympus OM E-M1 iii and the OM1 and still have an X-T4.

Autofocus on the X-H2S is better than the OM1 as is subject detection. The eye focus on birds is mesmerising and very accurate and with a 150-600mm lens on, it was detecting (static) Heron's eyes from 300m away.

Last week I was at a motocross event and the motorcycle subject detection hit focus on 90% of my shots at 15 fps which was more down to me and my technique and an overwhelming desire not to be run over.

Have to say that it is a cracker of a body and whilst I am very happy with my X-T4, the AF difference between the two is very noticeable. Haven't owned any of the Sony's but used a Sony A7 IV last week and would say that there is a fag papers difference in AF speed and accuracy twixt the two, but the X-H2S buffer cleared much faster.

Last edited:
Looking to get back into photography and back to Fuji. I won't be doing video just mainly photographs. Been looking at the xt3 but apart from touchscreen viewfinder and back-lit sensor and apparently snapier focus, is it worth the extra over xt2 which I've had before. Will be shooting mainly landscape, street and portraits. The saving would help pay gorca 35mm f2.

Looking to get back into photography and back to Fuji. I won't be doing video just mainly photographs. Been looking at the xt3 but apart from touchscreen viewfinder and back-lit sensor and apparently snapier focus, is it worth the extra over xt2 which I've had before. Will be shooting mainly landscape, street and portraits. The saving would help pay gorca 35mm f2.

Either would be good for street and potraits, use to have the X-T2 and the T 3 glad I came back to Fuji as got the X-T3 again. It is quicker to focus but not by a lot really.

So far. For my use case. It’s just as capable.
Trevor are you saying that the XH2S AF is in your hands as good as the Sony A1.
If that is the case I am very happy as I have resisted the temptation of dumping all my Nikon kit built up since 1973 when I first went to Nikon with a Nikkormat FTn.
I only moved into a dual Fuji and Nikon system when I got the X100 then the XPro1 and decided that the XPro1 was the camera I had always wanted. Only issue was the slowness of AF.
When I got the GFX50R I was impressed how fast the AF was even compared to my XT3.
I am very happy with my XH2S and the XH2 is due to delivery to me at the start of October. I cant wait to test it.
Maybe the time has come to settle on Fuji GFX and X series cameras! I see little extra in my Z7 or D850 except a nice interface to my GPS accessories.

Last edited:
Trevor are you saying that the XH2S AF is in your hands as good as the Sony A1.
If that is the case I am very happy as I have resisted the temptation of dumping all my Nikon kit built up since 1973 when I first went to Nikon with a Nikkormat FTn.
I only moved into a dual Fuji and Nikon system when I got the X100 then the XPro1 and decided that the XPro1 was the camera I had always wanted. Only issue was the slowness of AF.
When I got the GFX50R I was impressed how fast the AF was even compared to my XT3.
I am very happy with my XH2S and the XH2 is due to delivery to me at the start of October. I cant wait to test it.
Maybe the time has come to settle on Fuji GFX and X series cameras! I see little extra in my Z7 or D850 except a nice interface to my GPS accessories.
Jonathan. Yep. Exactly that. I really miss the A1. But that’s because I miss the 50 & 35GM Lenses. I make quite a bit of use Eye AF (human). I get as many keepers with the H2S. I am NOT a professional nor do I make a living from my gear.

The bloody Fuji has arrived.

My only other concern is noise. Being an APS-C sensor. But the bsi sensor in the h2 may not be as far behind the Z9 I use as I think being that it has the advantage of not being a stacked sensor.

Jonathan. Yep. Exactly that. I really miss the A1. But that’s because I miss the 50 & 35GM Lenses. I make quite a bit of use Eye AF (human). I get as many keepers with the H2S. I am NOT a professional nor do I make a living from my gear.

The bloody Fuji has arrived.
Yeah!!! I am completely vindicated in my original decision way back in 2013 when I decided to stick in the Fuji camp and run parallel with my Nikons until the time came that they were equal.
I cant do this assessment myself as I have never even touched a Sony A1.
I have two friends who live in Norfolk and Hampshire who I will visit in the future who are using Sony. One is completely converted and happy the other is more analytical and wonders why he has the A1 and an A7R4 as the results are little better than his Nikon D3 but he used to have a Fuji XT3 as well. He didnt like the EVF of that which I didnt find a problem but he did but the XH2(S) is better again.

My feeling is that we are now at a similar point in digital that people will argue the toss just because they have closed minds or dont want to see the truth.

Fuji GFX is the new 5x4 or 120 film
Fuji has no direct equivalent in the FF arena but in my opinion my 45MP Nikon Z7 and D850 will be more or less equal to the current XH2S or XH2, certainly the XH2 will push it close. The GFX50R or GFX100S blows them away for real detail and IQ. Sorry Thomas Heaton fans but his move to Z7ii is driven by weight and nearly the same quality in my opinion.
Fuji 26MP cameras since 2015 have been the equal of Nikon APS-C cameras. The D500 has stellar AF which in my opinion is the equal of D850 or Z7. The Z7ii is a little better speedwise than the Z7 but probably only ~5-10%.

I have spent ages testing my GFX50R v. Nikon Z7 sorry it is about the same IQ but the GFX has more smoothness (just like 120 film over 35mm), my GFX100S is heaps better. If you cant see it or dont want to see it then that is cool. I am not interested in how your assessment is better than mine. My assessment is for my use. I dont want 5, 10 , 5000 or 5M Instagram followers. My use is for me these days, how I use it to get my results is all important to me.

I can only say what I think but it has to be each person chooses for themselves.
We need to remember these are tools and as such people will have different needs and wants. All opinions are valid as long as they are not made without consideration or rational thought.

Last edited:
My only other concern is noise. Being an APS-C sensor. But the bsi sensor in the h2 may not be as far behind the Z9 I use as I think being that it has the advantage of not being a stacked sensor.
I believe this is a valid worry and I need to see how the XH2 performs but my experience in the use of Nikon digital cameras is that each version of the EXPEED sensor support chipset electronics yielded a significant reduction in digital noise and an improvement in sharpness. I wouldnt expect anything less from Fuji as it is what I have seen in the years since 2011 with their X series cameras and prior to that with te Fuji S2 pro that I also used.
Only real world use will tell.

Windmills at Consuegra, Spain. Shot on the little X100V.

Windmills of Consuegra by Dave Young, on Flickr
Fabulous place to visit.
I went there for a weekend when I lived in Spain.
It wasnt as sunny as in your picture. In fact the evening I arrived there was a dust storm followed by heavy rain.
Shot with my XT2.
XT2-1-6266-small.jpg

Has anyone used the Viltrox 23mm on their Fuji ?
I’ve got it Dave. Build quality is alright. But not a fan of clickless aperture ring. Haven’t used it much. I’ll look tomorrow at my Lightroom and see if I’ve got any samples. Bought it to shoot wide open (obviously)

I believe this is a valid worry and I need to see how the XH2 performs but my experience in the use of Nikon digital cameras is that each version of the EXPEED sensor support chipset electronics yielded a significant reduction in digital noise and an improvement in sharpness. I wouldnt expect anything less from Fuji as it is what I have seen in the years since 2011 with their X series cameras and prior to that with te Fuji S2 pro that I also used.
Only real world use will tell.
Yes. I moved away from Fuji end 2018 early 2019. I was shooting X-H1. I absolutely loved the camera. BUT. Couldn’t live with high ISO noise. Since then I’ve discovered some good noise reduction software and am more relaxed going forward with APS-C

If I had to get the shot, I'd go up to 23,600 which I last did on the X-T3 years back and it looked good.
I get that Dave. But I’m looking for clean almost noise free at around 3200. So far I’m pretty happy with performance from my X-H2S

This at ISO 3200

Bluey by -justTrev-

Has anyone used the Viltrox 23mm on their Fuji ?
I have it and use it more for
I get that Dave. But I’m looking for clean almost noise free at around 3200. So far I’m pretty happy with performance from my X-H2S

This at ISO 3200

Bluey by -justTrev-
That's me, I've had to shoot iso 3200 1/60 f8 indoor group shots about two or three times a year and the noise is annoying. I don't have any problems with the noise levels except for that group shot

This at ISO 3200

Bluey by -justTrev-

I was at one of my jazz gigs in a dark club and stuck it on Auto iso and it jumped to 23,600. Got rid of them ages ago when I cleared out my Flickr, but in B&W they looked good and more like 6400 iso.

Yes. I moved away from Fuji end 2018 early 2019. I was shooting X-H1. I absolutely loved the camera. BUT. Couldn’t live with high ISO noise. Since then I’ve discovered some good noise reduction software and am more relaxed going forward with APS-C
Trevor have you tried ON1 Photo RAW with its NoNoise AI? I tried the free version trial and have to say it is very good.

Back