The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Would you guys think it would be a good idea to put the new 40mp sensor in the next X100(6) ?

I know they updated the lens, but is it good enough for the 40mp?

p.s. Does the x100v do Face detect And back button focusing?
I have never felt that the X100V lacks resolution, but I expect that it will get the 40MP sensor. What is more intriguing to me is what will happen lower down the range, the X-T50 (or X-T40?) and X-E5, what sensors will they have?

The X100V does to face/eye detect and can be set up for back button focus, although I haven't, even though I do on my other cameras.

I have never felt that the X100V lacks resolution, but I expect that it will get the 40MP sensor. What is more intriguing to me is what will happen lower down the range, the X-T50 (or X-T40?) and X-E5, what sensors will they have?

The X100V does to face/eye detect and can be set up for back button focus, although I haven't, even though I do on my other cameras.

The idea that something so small, with fast Eye-AF and i can do back button focus tracking with a built in ND filter in a 40mp (or even 26mp) sensor is blowing my ickle mind. To do it near silent with a leaf mechanical shutter too.

Last edited:
It is an amazing camera, I don't think the ergonomics work too well for back button focussing though.

Does anyone have an X-H2 and regularly use the 100-400 with it? I've been out all day today with this combo alongside my Z9 and I don't know if the loaner kit has an issue or something else going on but I don't seem to be able to get sharp images at all. It seems like the further the distance to the subject at 400mm the worse the images get, it's like a ghosting and on some images they look to be focused but just have a strange glowing ghosting over the subject.

At first I thought it was my technique with it being effectively an 80mp full frame equivalent in pixel density so I upped the shutter speed to 1/1600 - 1/2000 and still the images aren't sharp. Even with the Z9 I can get sharp images at 1/500 or lower at 800mm so really can't work out what's going on. I'm tempted to say there's a fault, possibly with the IBIS or the lens itself.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Really disappointing when the X-H2s was so good.
I can only say from my experience with an X-T4 that I can get tack sharp images out of the 100-400, wide open at 400mm

But as you say the 40MP sensor is much more demanding. I do wonder if there is a lot of copy variation with the 100-400 as well, as I've read plenty of reviews and forum posts from people who say its soft at 400mm. Maybe you just have a duff copy or it's had a bit of a knock with it being a loaner lens. It doesn't have a filter on the front of the lens does it? My loaner 33mm had a clear protector filter on the lens. Didn't cause me any issues but may be worth checking to see if that's causing the problem.

Last edited:
Got a JCC grip for the X-Pro.

First impression - Nice quality. Very solid, nicely machined metal. Nice recess for the flip screen for the X-Pro3. Battery hole for access which is a must. Matches the camera well in texture for the grip and colour.

Not sure on the bit that sticks out in the center though.

Images taken with X-T1

CLogekx.jpg

9p1rxod.jpg

uPCcAh1.jpg

Main down side is there isn't a felt layer where it makes contact with the camera. And I think the Gariz half leather looks classier but more a pinch grip than proper grip. Think I will save it for the X-Pro2/3.

e0eLx2i.jpg

zd0ykh9.jpg

sbdXyt4.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have an X-H2 and regularly use the 100-400 with it? I've been out all day today with this combo alongside my Z9 and I don't know if the loaner kit has an issue or something else going on but I don't seem to be able to get sharp images at all. It seems like the further the distance to the subject at 400mm the worse the images get, it's like a ghosting and on some images they look to be focused but just have a strange glowing ghosting over the subject.

At first I thought it was my technique with it being effectively an 80mp full frame equivalent in pixel density so I upped the shutter speed to 1/1600 - 1/2000 and still the images aren't sharp. Even with the Z9 I can get sharp images at 1/500 or lower at 800mm so really can't work out what's going on. I'm tempted to say there's a fault, possibly with the IBIS or the lens itself.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Really disappointing when the X-H2s was so good.
Did a quick test with my 100-400 wide open on a XH1_DSF2669.jpg
And 100% (ish) crop.
_DSF2669-3.jpg

Thanks to those that have replied about the issues I'm having with the 100-400. When I had the X=H2s on loan with the 100-400 it was super sharp and a lovely combo. With the X-H2 I was just wondering if it's an issue with the 40mp sensor or a fault with the kit I've been sent. I've fired off an email to fuji as I'm pretty convinced it's the body or the lens. Most likely the lens but honestly I'm a bit disappointed with the sharpness of the files out of the X-H2 with the other lenses with some quick test shots, the 56/1.2 I was expecting more from. So maybe the body too. Slight let down since the X-H2s experience was so good.

Thanks to those that have replied about the issues I'm having with the 100-400. When I had the X=H2s on loan with the 100-400 it was super sharp and a lovely combo. With the X-H2 I was just wondering if it's an issue with the 40mp sensor or a fault with the kit I've been sent. I've fired off an email to fuji as I'm pretty convinced it's the body or the lens. Most likely the lens but honestly I'm a bit disappointed with the sharpness of the files out of the X-H2 with the other lenses with some quick test shots, the 56/1.2 I was expecting more from. So maybe the body too. Slight let down since the X-H2s experience was so good.

Any examples?

Here's a 100% crop of one example. This was taken at 400mm 1/1000s @5.6. It looks like motion blur, but at 1/1000s and with ibis this doesn't seem likely. I was shooting the same subjects at 1/350s with my 400mm+1.4tc on the Z9 and the files are perfect so something seems up here.

View attachment 378764
Soft in extreme. :(
I would say a lens issue but does it look sharp in XH2 EVF? Could be camera issue though.

Soft in extreme. :(
I would say a lens issue but does it look sharp in XH2 EVF? Could be camera issue though.
Yes in the EVF it looks ok, but then through the EVF you're seeing a 120hz video image but not the captured image. I tried switching the IOS off on the lens but that didn't go well lol I do wonder if it's a lens out of alignment or some odd interaction with the IBIS in the body. Although it's only happening with that lens.

Having a mess around with the 56/1.2WR on the X-H2 to try and work out if the issue I'm seeing is the 100-400 or the body.

I think this proves it's the lens. Not an amazing image by any stretch of the imagination, but nice and sharp and detailed at f1.2

View attachment 378782
I’m glad it’s not the body. And you know that it’s a duff copy of the lens. Any reply from Fuji ?

Having a mess around with the 56/1.2WR on the X-H2 to try and work out if the issue I'm seeing is the 100-400 or the body.

I think this proves it's the lens. Not an amazing image by any stretch of the imagination, but nice and sharp and detailed at f1.2

View attachment 378782
Well on the basis of the swan shot and the dog shot then I would say that Fuji have lent you a duff 100-400 lens.

The dog is lovely and sharp. Great eyes.

Another x100v pops up used on LCE!

But I feel right now it’s not a good time to buy one right now with it over 2 years old and a Fuji event happening in April..

Last edited:

But I feel right now it’s not a good time to buy one right now with it over 2 years old.
They’re not that rare here in the UK, they pop up quick often in various places used.

Still quite a price though.

Here's a 100% crop of one example. This was taken at 400mm 1/1000s @5.6. It looks like motion blur, but at 1/1000s and with ibis this doesn't seem likely. I was shooting the same subjects at 1/350s with my 400mm+1.4tc on the Z9 and the files are perfect so something seems up here.

View attachment 378764

That shot has all the hallmarks of a knackered IS system in the lens.

Just a sorry it’s not gone well and it will get checked on return. Which is a bit of a downer.
Well I hope they can provide you with a decent loaner for a while if you want to test out properly.

Got caught in yestersays crazy changing whether though whilst walking the dog and managed to grab this one before conditions meant camera disappeared into the bag and we just got on with walking!

Lonely Tree.jpg

Any opinions on composition? I think it could make a nice enough shot in full bloom.

Overall though still feeling pretty uninspired to get out and do anything really right now.
I did spot a scene that might warrant some playing around with under the right conditions though so have made a mental note of that.
Hopefully can get some motivation back soon.

Well I hope they can provide you with a decent loaner for a while if you want to test out properly.

Will see if I get any other response tomorrow. I think I may ask if I can just do the loan again but with different kit. I've not got as much use as I should have due to weather either so not really had a great go at using it.

I found out that on the free 48 hour loan, you can't try the same thing twice - I had the 50-140mm and the weather was rubbish, all I was able to confirm was that it fits in my camera bag. I tried to borrow it again and it was rejected. Hopefully you have more luck.

Will see if I get any other response tomorrow. I think I may ask if I can just do the loan again but with different kit. I've not got as much use as I should have due to weather either so not really had a great go at using it.
Well lending you faulty kit to start with; They should let you have another crack at one. I`d be surprised if they didn`t.

But I feel right now it’s not a good time to buy one right now with it over 2 years old and a Fuji event happening in April..
I’d be very surprised if there’s a new X100 coming in the next 6 months, more likely something in the GFX range hence the large discounts on the 50S II and 100S recently.

And gone, they go really fast though, it's never on any site more than 24hrs, despite you can order one for £150 more.

Faster than a hotcake! I know when I was looking for mine last summer, they were literally there one day and gone the next!

Out of curiosity I looked up how much those accessories that came with the Limited Edition costs.

£75 for the filter
£65 for the hood and adaptor ring
£75 for the leather case.

It's easily £200 if bought separately, makes the £450 price tag a bit of a bargain and bring the camera down to the £200-300 range?

Has anybody been to a fuji touch and try day at their local camera store? If so did they have any special promotions on cameras/lenses on the day? Possibly wishful thinking on my part. Wondering whether to make a journey to my not so local camera store next week as they have an event on. would probably only go if there were some savings to be had. Pretty much know what I want.

Has anybody been to a fuji touch and try day at their local camera store? If so did they have any special promotions on cameras/lenses on the day? Possibly wishful thinking on my part. Wondering whether to make a journey to my not so local camera store next week as they have an event on. would probably only go if there were some savings to be had. Pretty much know what I want.
I think fuji are still doing a cash back this week but I think it ends on Sunday.

Back