The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I think fuji are still doing a cash back this week but I think it ends on Sunday.
Nooooo way to dangerous for my bank account ;)

But seriously, I have always wanted to have a mooch around the HoF, but never got around to it.

Nooooo way to dangerous for my bank account ;)

But seriously, I have always wanted to have a mooch around the HoF, but never got around to it.
Just a short trip up to Victoria, Waterloo or London Bridge and a nice photo walk up to Covent Garden.
Indeed in my youth I used to walk from central London back to Crystal Palace but usually managed to hitch a lift back most of the way. Wouldn't recommend it these days! The 2B or 3 bus drops you at Crystal Palace parade. :)Oh happy days.

No it was an alcohol induced purchase from Viltrox on the pre-order of the first 50. I was surprised I got one tbh. Since I don't shoot Fuji I have no idea why I even ordered it. I guess it was that lovely single malt I got for xmas that was doing the driving :D
That is impressive, buying a lens that you don't own the system of!

(I checked the site when I found out and it was all sold out!)

That is impressive, buying a lens that you don't own the system of!

(I checked the site when I found out and it was all sold out!)

To be fair, I've been testing the fuji system a lot lately as I'm very tempted to move over to fuji honestly.

And the 75mm + an X-H2 is significantly cheaper than the Nikon 85mm 1.2 will end up being ;)

Last edited:
No it was an alcohol induced purchase from Viltrox on the pre-order of the first 50. I was surprised I got one tbh. Since I don't shoot Fuji I have no idea why I even ordered it. I guess it was that lovely single malt I got for xmas that was doing the driving :D
Single Malt induced purchase?

Guilty M'Lud.

Bought an 8-16mm assisted by an excellent Bruichladdich.

The Malt, like the lens, is Clachan a Choin!

So as luck woudl have it I've just had a notification that the Viltrox 75/1.2 will arrive on Friday. And the loan fuji kit doesn't go back until Monday. So I have a weekend to try the Viltrox out on the X-H2 :)

Ooh… very interested to get your views and see the results.

Just a short trip up to Victoria, Waterloo or London Bridge and a nice photo walk up to Covent Garden.
Indeed in my youth I used to walk from central London back to Crystal Palace but usually managed to hitch a lift back most of the way. Wouldn't recommend it these days! The 2B or 3 bus drops you at Crystal Palace parade. :)Oh happy days.
Haha I know, and easy enough for me to get to.
Damn I wouldn't want to do that walk nowadays, either ;)

Did you ever get to shoot under the old bit by the station? I can't remember what it's called.

Not strictly Fuji related, but figured I'd show the results of my DIY black pro mist filter -

ba1.jpgba2.jpg

I figured it was worth a go before dropping £100+ on a Tiffen. I generally like the look of BPM filters, but only when kept subtle, like the 1/8 Tiffen. They tend to look best when shooting something retro, like an old arcade with classic pinball machines etc, but they also do well at night in the city too.

To make this, I used a cheap amazon UV filter and some black spray paint. It took a couple of attempts due to "splodges", but I eventually got a fine and even covering. I'm pretty happy with the result overall.
The top picture is a 100% crop which is why it looks so extreme... The example with the cables looks a little much for my taste, but that seems like an extreme case, all of my other tests have shown a much more subtle effect.

I'll see how it does at night. If the effect is too strong I can just wipe with isopropyl and start again!

All in all cost me less than £10. :)

Not strictly Fuji related, but figured I'd show the results of my DIY black pro mist filter -

View attachment 378998View attachment 378999

I figured it was worth a go before dropping £100+ on a Tiffen. I generally like the look of BPM filters, but only when kept subtle, like the 1/8 Tiffen. They tend to look best when shooting something retro, like an old arcade with classic pinball machines etc, but they also do well at night in the city too.

To make this, I used a cheap amazon UV filter and some black spray paint. It took a couple of attempts due to "splodges", but I eventually got a fine and even covering. I'm pretty happy with the result overall.
The top picture is a 100% crop which is why it looks so extreme... The example with the cables looks a little much for my taste, but that seems like an extreme case, all of my other tests have shown a much more subtle effect.

I'll see how it does at night. If the effect is too strong I can just wipe with isopropyl and start again!

You can get a 77mm Tiffen for about £50 at the moment

View attachment 378998View attachment 378999

Nice one (y)
I use hair spray ;)

Single Malt induced purchase?

Guilty M'Lud.

Bought an 8-16mm assisted by an excellent Bruichladdich.

The Malt, like the lens, is Clachan a Choin!
Been looking at an Fuji 8-16mm as I disliked using the Samsung 8mm and Laowa 9mm as it meant that I needed to change the Custom lens setting.
No alcohol needed and I have it along with the H&Y filter holder for Fuji 8-16mm.
The lens is large and heavy but results are awesome on my XH2 and XT5.

Last edited:
Haha I know, and easy enough for me to get to.
Damn I wouldn't want to do that walk nowadays, either ;)

Did you ever get to shoot under the old bit by the station? I can't remember what it's called.
Do you meant at Crystal Palace?

I have been in Spain 2007 until 2018, and now down in Cornwall.
I need to go to London to take photos from the Shard. Probably this summer or autumn.

Do you meant at Crystal Palace?

I have been in Spain 2007 until 2018, and now down in Cornwall.
I need to go to London to take photos from the Shard. Probably this summer or autumn.
That would be a trip I'd be interested in joining you, you can be my guide. (y)

First pic, beyond testing that it works, from the X100.

F8l6GRo.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some wide open results at f1.2
This could be a really fine lens for me. I really like the 60-85mm range for portraits.

I've pre-ordered one as well thanks to having a bunch of vouchers to take the price way down, but I'm already a bit wary of the size and weight...

Different focal length and aperture, but a Sigma 56mm would probably do 90% of what the Viltrox does, while being less than half the weight.

Hello fellow Fujilovers. I just posted a quick review of the Nisi filter kit for X100 series cameras, I figure perhaps there might be some interest from this community.

Last edited:
I've pre-ordered one as well thanks to having a bunch of vouchers to take the price way down, but I'm already a bit wary of the size and weight...

Different focal length and aperture, but a Sigma 56mm would probably do 90% of what the Viltrox does, while being less than half the weight.
It's for sure a big heavy lens compared to other Fuji lenses. But in context my favourite lens currently is the Nikon 50mm f1.2s, which is twice the size and twice as heavy so this Viltrox doesn't feel overly heavy personally :)

OK so lacking a willing human model this evening, will have to try and convince in good light during the weekend. But found some more willing static and non-human models :ROFLMAO:

Very impressed with the sharpness of this Viltrox lens, and the OOF areas look fantastic, very smooth. The Warhammer models were at near minimum focus distance so the DOF is paper thin. I'm not entirely sure why I'm reading some complaints about the mfd tbh given the focal length of the lens.

Oh the outside shot isn't easy to see on here, but you can clearly read the reg plate on the oncoming car in the original.

DSCF3000.jpgDSCF3001.jpgDSCF3026.jpgDSCF3049.jpgDSCF3081.jpgDSCF3230.jpg

Last edited:
I've updated the Firmware on my X-H2S
Took a few bursts yesterday. More testing required.
This is the only shot of a burst of 18 in focus. Lens used 50-140 f2.8
Shooting at 40FPS
It may be that I was approaching the minimum focus distance.
Processed in PureRaw ISO 8000

AF-C tracking test-2 by Trevor, on Flickr

Better results here. This from a burst of 25 with 16 in sharp focus. Shooting at 40FPS
Same lens and ISO. Also processed in PureRaw
AF-C tracking test by Trevor, on Flickr

I'm still impressed with the camera. I was shooting one handed with the camera held just above the ground. FlippyFlappyScreenThingy out.
I pressed the shutter as soon as I framed the dog and totally relied on the AF-C and Subject detection to do it's thing.

Definitely sharper in Flickr

Last edited:
Dont think that you need to show me more. There is a little green monkey sitting on my shoulder. (Just send me the lens,) :banana:;)

Kind of kicking myself I didn't get Pure Raw 2 when it was half price. I hesitated because their lens profiles are rather sparse, couple of my Sigma's not in the supported list and they also don't support compressed RAW Sony files which is how you have to shoot to unlock 10fps on the A74.

Maybe I should have made the switch back to Fuji, loads of gear sat in the basket all over Xmas :ROFLMAO:

All I seem to be shooting at the moment is toys, and foxes. At least the sun is out today.

This one was through glass (kitchen window).

T5 100-400

fox by Paulie-W, on Flickr
Well I would stay in and shoot more foxes. Cracking good image!

OK I don't wanna get boring but these musings might be helpful to some.
1st of a burst of 17 all in focus.
Again processed in PureRaw ISO 5000
Again with the 50-140 f2.8

AF-C tracking test-3 by Trevor, on Flickr
Cracking shot Trevor.
Hope you find the right settings from your tests.
iirc there’s someone over on DPReview in the Fuji forum who has spent a while playing with settings for AF and tracking. Mainly BIF but seems to have them pretty nailed.
User might be ‘morris0’ if you wanted to have a dig.
I’m on phone at the minute so had no luck trying to find it.

All I seem to be shooting at the moment is toys, and foxes. At least the sun is out today.

T5 100-400

Cracking shot Paul. Even more so that you captured it from the kitchen. I’d be sat there all day with the kettle on the go and camera at the ready. Most I get is pigeons!

Last edited:
Cracking shot Paul. Even more so that you captured it from the kitchen. I’d be sat there all day with the kettle on the go and camera at the ready. Most I get is pigeons!
Thanks, Rob (y)

Haha there was a lot of coffee drunk, whilst waiting ;)

T5 100-400

That's a very nice wildlife style capture Paul, still with some good detail even though snapped through a window.

Ok I have a question, I know you all talk about other Fuji cameras but honestly although slightly interested, I haven't taken too much of it in (sorry) as I've been very happy with my XT3, but... I am thinking of a smaller camera for light travelling. What would you suggest? Ideally I like to have the ability to zoom so not sure if a fixed prime lens would be quite what I want.

Back