The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Those are both higher ISO you could have got away with 1/1000th and ISO200 there, which would have helped.

Have I just got really lucky, or is this like those credit card "Congratulations! We've pre-appoved you for blahblah..."?

Annoyingly, my car has just gone pop, so not sure I can afford this, much less a trip to London to pick it up!

View attachment 419009
Buy it.
Sell it.
Buy a standard model.
Fix the car.
Repay the train fare.
Keep the change.
;)

Have I just got really lucky, or is this like those credit card "Congratulations! We've pre-appoved you for blahblah..."?

Annoyingly, my car has just gone pop, so not sure I can afford this, much less a trip to London to pick it up!

View attachment 419009

Well...you can always flip it and use the profit to pay towards car repair! (Not the done thing I know !)

You won't lose money on it for the next 6 months I expect.

Those are both higher ISO you could have got away with 1/1000th and ISO200 there, which would have helped.
I'll look at limiting the max ISO in my presets then (y)

This is an example from today - [
View: https://flic.kr/p/2pGN1ds
- This is admittedly a crop (and also through a window...) but its very smudgy?

This is not a crop -
View: https://flic.kr/p/2pGUc4L
- and is at 1/4000; still seems a bit fuzzy round the hard edges. But really it's probably fine and I'm nitpicking. This is not at the full 55mm though.

Yes, F4

It doesn't help that I'm on a forum of people with a lot more experience than me! But I'm seeing pics on the same or older sensors than the X-T20 which seem sharper to me; so I feel like I'm doing it wrong

I think you mioght be overthinking this - as @Craikeybaby says, get the ISO lower (base 200) when you can as that will improve the noise handling and the dynamic range.

Higher resolution sensors are inherently sharper, but lower resolution sensors are perfectly capable of producing great results (and 24MP is not low!), I don't think there is anything untoward with your kit.

Also this forum has a habit of making some images look soft and others look sharp, it seems quite fussy, and often stuff is sharper on flickr than here. Don't fall into that trap.

Also are you post processing the images or just taking the JPG settings with whatever custom profile you have set up? There is probably mnore to come from post processing the RAW images than the in-camera JPGs, not the the JPGs are bad but you can often do better, as post processing allows you to tune an individual image rathert than apply a fixed set of adjustments.

I think you mioght be overthinking this - as @Craikeybaby says, get the ISO lower (base 200) when you can as that will improve the noise handling and the dynamic range.

Higher resolution sensors are inherently sharper, but lower resolution sensors are perfectly capable of producing great results (and 24MP is not low!), I don't think there is anything untoward with your kit.

Also this forum has a habit of making some images look soft and others look sharp, it seems quite fussy, and often stuff is sharper on flickr than here. Don't fall into that trap.

Also are you post processing the images or just taking the JPG settings with whatever custom profile you have set up? There is probably mnore to come from post processing the RAW images than the in-camera JPGs, not the the JPGs are bad but you can often do better, as post processing allows you to tune an individual image rathert than apply a fixed set of adjustments.
I’ve never, ever been accused of overthinking things before… ;)

You’re most probably right. It could be as much the way I upload my images than anything else!

Should I restrict the Dynamic Range setting in my presets? Some of them are on 400.

I am trying as best I can to work straight from the camera - I spend 8 hours a day at a computer and don’t really want to process RAWs if I don’t have to. Generally I’ll only do it for holiday snaps or other special occasions.

I’m definitely guilty of just popping the film sim presets you see online into the camera and hoping for the best; but I am slowly developing an idea of what I like from doing that, so it’s been quite an interesting process. Now I’m getting to the point of wanting to refine those settings a bit

First time out the house with the 16-80 I recently picked up for my X-Pro2. First impressions are pretty favourable. It seems there’s some variation in how good this lens is, mine seems quite reasonable to my untechnical eye.

View attachment 419003
I read that there was quite a bit of sample variance with the 16-80, but I bought mine used from MPB & I'm very pleased with it.

As I said a few posts ago, it was the only lens I took to Chicago last year.

DSCF8390.jpeg

DSCF8333.jpeg

DSCF8321.jpeg

DSCF8282.jpeg

Buy it.
Sell it.
Buy a standard model.
Fix the car.
Repay the train fare.
Keep the change.
;)

Haha tempting as it is, I don't want to be a scalper.

I'll see what my premium bonds do tomorrow. If they do well, I might take the trip up there, then sell it on here for a price that covers the cost of the train + £50 for my time or something. I'd rather it go to a member of this community (plus, ebay fees on £2k+ will be nuts, so I'd have to go full blown scalper pricing on there just to break even).

If the bonds aren't in my favour, I'll just have to forfeit it... :(

Yeah, I think it is to deter people from buying from scalpers, rather than the normal secondhand trades.

@Jelster Steve. I always shot this way for this scenario. The X-T5 has great subject detection. Manual setting 1/500th or to taste, lens usually f2-2.8. AF-C. Auto ISO.

What, take it out of Aperture priority? Heresy!! :LOL:

I haven't shot on shutter priority in years, maybe I should give it a try. Won't be seeing him again for a couple of weeks, so will keep that as a plan...

What, take it out of Aperture priority? Heresy!! :LOL:

I haven't shot on shutter priority in years, maybe I should give it a try. Won't be seeing him again for a couple of weeks, so will keep that as a plan...
Not shutter priority mate. Manual

Forgive me for a stupid question but still feeling the side effects of night nurse and other flu related medicine. New camera arriving today so when I update the firmware if it needs it do I have to do all my lenses on that body also or is latest firmware stored on lens? Hopefully be able to think straight by the time it arrives :)

My understanding was that lens firmware was stored on the lens, but it should be easy to check. My new camera is also being delivered today...

Last edited:
Here's one I doubt you'll have. Not a technically strong shot but it's by far my favourite from the whole trip.

This was the first shot I took in Japan. We had just left the airport, and driven only a few minutes before entering tunnels. When we emerged we came up onto a bridge and this was the first real view I got of the city.

I'd dreamt of this trip my entire life. I'd come close so many times, only for something to go wrong and set me back.

Years/Decades of dreaming, saving, scrimping... All the times I was broken after 70+ hour weeks, this is what would keep me going. I'd spend time just exploring on google maps, watching live webcams of the city, exploring in video games etc... Then here I was, in the flesh, watching this view unfold in front of me. Maybe I was just emotional after the long flight and lack of sleep, but as I sat in the back of our airport car, I struggled to take this shot with shaky hands and tears in my eyes. With one long exhale, it was like a massive weight was lifted from my shoulders.

Even now I struggle to look at it without getting a little misty.

Tokyo by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Haha, I don't have that one because I never took a taxi to Haneda. I always took the Monorail or the bus (on the way back).

@jimmyjamjojo are you going to go back? Now that you've been, I suspect some of the places you don't need to revisit anymore and thus can save some cost, like not needing to pay to go up Mori Tower again etc.

I found my 2nd trip much cheaper, like I spent half as much.

Haha, I don't have that one because I never took a taxi to Haneda. I always took the Monorail or the bus (on the way back).

@jimmyjamjojo are you going to go back? Now that you've been, I suspect some of the places you don't need to revisit anymore and thus can save some cost, like not needing to pay to go up Mori Tower again etc.

I found my 2nd trip much cheaper, like I spent half as much.

Definitely going back, and yes can definitely do it much cheaper. We travelled around quite a lot - Tokyo>Kawaguchiko>Matsumoto>Kamikochi>Takayama>Shirakawago>Kanazawa>Kyoto>Tokyo, and used a tour company to book and arrange everything etc.

Now that I've kind of "ticked the boxes" of the must see stuff, I'd be more than happy to just go spend a week in Tokyo literally just wandering the streets, or explore one or two other cities/prefectures. Also now that I've been there and done it, I'd be fine with arranging own transport and hotels etc. So yeah, should be much cheaper.

I'd quite like to climb Fuji, but at the same time I'd love to visit in winter. Snowy streets and a proper snowcapped Fuji from Kawaguchiko would be awesome. Kyushu seems like it would be cool too.

I guess I'm just gonna have to keep going back... ;)

Oh you used a tour company? that must be quite expensive. I've always planned my own trip and a few places you've listed I've not been to like Kamikochi, Takayama and Shirakawago.

I have been to Kyoto 4 times now and the last trip managed to catch Kiyomizu Dera back open again finally and even Sakura in Philosopher's path so I've ticked most of the boxes in that place. Not to mention it's the 1 place that has the most tourists...

Joe Allum released a video last week visiting Kawaguchiko in the winter, I've actually walked across the front of where his hotel was but that seem like a nice place to spend the night if you go back.

Back