The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

X100VI, HP5

0NU43Tp.jpg

I was going to suggest that @beercan picks up a 16-80 rather than the 16-55. I use mine a lot; it's all I took to Chicago last year and it did everything I needed, including night shots.
Ahhh great now I'm watching reviews of the 16-80 and considering splashing out. :ROFLMAO:
Looks like it could be a good option!

Yeah but the camera doesn’t have that retro cool :fuji:
Haha, I hear that. Wish they still did the XQ2 (but modernised) to compete with the Sony RX and Ricoh GRs of the world. I was impressed with the Ricoh though. Very similar to Fuji shots in colour; was surprised how similar they came out (in this particular vid at least)

Last edited:
Sensoji in Asakusa. Really loved Asakusa, crazy busy during the day but thats all part of the charm - people everywhere, noise, thick incense smoke...

At night it was far quieter. The temple was serene and the side street restaurants come to life.

People often recommend Shinjuku/Shibuya and other busy areas in Tokyo. We stayed there later in our trip and found it very generic, it could have been any other city center from anywhere in the world. Asakusa on the other hand, had real character.

Asakusa by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

You and I have very similar photos from our trips lol, I have one from that angle too :D

p.s. never stayed near Shinjuku or Shibuya, usually stay at Ikebukuro.

It seems that today is the last day of the current Fuji offers. Including £500 off the X-H2S, which I am seriously tempted by.

Big news from Fuji this morning:

”X-T1 was originally released in 2014 to celebrate Fujifilm’s 80th anniversary. It would go on to lead a mirrorless camera revolution.

Almost a decade and five generations later, Fujifilm’s latest imaging technology brought us the X-T5, bringing photographers unrivalled image quality in a timeless, classic, and beloved camera body.

Now Fujifilm is innovating again: featuring the same 40MP sensor and standard X-mount, X-T5L will cater to those left-handed among us who still want the premium APS-C experience but have always struggled with right-handed cameras”

IMG_1178.jpeg

Hey all.

I'm heading to Majorca for a week to do some sightseeing (mainly small towns, markets, etc) and can't decide what kit to take and carry!

Part of me thinks take it all just in case, but part thinks that's silly, and keep it light with one lens.

Logic says the 18-55 gives me best length options, then I toyed with the idea of picking up a FujiFilm XF 16-55mm F2.8 R LM WR in my local shop for extra length but it's huge!
Using the primes feel better and are lighter (not the 90!) but limit range options which I may regret...

My current options:
Fuji 18mm f/2 R
TTartisan 27mm f/2.8
Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-4
Fuji 90mm F2 R LM WR

What would you do?

If you can handle the compromise(s) in weight and speed, the 18-135 is another option. FOR ME, primes are too limiting and foot zooming isn't always (or even that often on small islands!) possible so as many options in focal length are welcome!

If you can handle the compromise(s) in weight and speed, the 18-135 is another option. FOR ME, primes are too limiting and foot zooming isn't always (or even that often on small islands!) possible so as many options in focal length are welcome!
Thanks.
I couldn't pick up the 16-80 in time, and this was my other consideration but I couldn't get either delivered in time before I head off.
I've decided just to take the 18-55.

If I didn't have the 18-135, the 18-55 would be my choice of walk around lens. Can't really (self) justify anything faster.

My workflow is Lightroom Classic and then resize & sharpen (if needed) in PS. I've just realised that LC cannot denoise the files from my T5. Which is a PITA as I was shooting indoors today @ 3200 ISO.... :headbang:. :mad:

Some advice please....

I was trying to get some photo's of my grandson yesterday, but looking at the keeper rate, it was awful.....

My set up was a T5 with the 35 f1.4, indoors with him running around, shooting at 1600 & 3200 ISO. The 35 f1.4 id just too slow, I tried the 50-140 at the short end, which focuses much faster, but it's too long. Is there something in the 27-35mm range that will focus quickly and still shoot at f2.8 (I need the light).

Some advice please....

I was trying to get some photo's of my grandson yesterday, but looking at the keeper rate, it was awful.....

My set up was a T5 with the 35 f1.4, indoors with him running around, shooting at 1600 & 3200 ISO. The 35 f1.4 id just too slow, I tried the 50-140 at the short end, which focuses much faster, but it's too long. Is there something in the 27-35mm range that will focus quickly and still shoot at f2.8 (I need the light).
I am no expert but does the camera have something like a continuous focus 'tracking' mode so instead of focusing all over again for each shot it continually adjusts focus on the moving subject?

Some advice please....

Obvious choice would be the Fuji XF35mm f2.

Some advice please....

I don't think it would be the kit - I regularly use my X-T2 and 35mm f1.4 to shoot my boys and my 18 month old niece. In fact, my 7 year old son got some decent photos of his cousin at the weekend using that set up. It was using eye detect AF, in "S" AF mode, although I'd prefer to use "C", but he's only just got the hang of listening to the focus confirmation beep before fully pressing the shutter.

How have you got the AF set up on your camera? Which of the AF modes is it in? I usually use the "Accelerating/decelerating" setting for toddlers.

You also have to set up the shot somehow, ideally without them realising that is what you are doing, getting them to sit on something usually gives a fraction of a second when they aren't moving:

To the moon! by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Last edited:
First time out the house with the 16-80 I recently picked up for my X-Pro2. First impressions are pretty favourable. It seems there’s some variation in how good this lens is, mine seems quite reasonable to my untechnical eye.

xp029045.jpeg

I don't think it would be the kit - I regularly use my X-T2 and 35mm f1.4 to shoot my boys and my 18 month old niece. In fact, my 7 year old son got some decent photos of his cousin at the weekend using that set up. It was using eye detect AF, in "S" AF mode, although I'd prefer to use "C", but he's only just got the hang of listening to the focus confirmation beep before fully pressing the shutter.

How have you got the AF set up on your camera? Which of the AF modes is it in? I usually use the "Accelerating/decelerating" setting for toddlers.

You also have to set up the shot somehow, ideally without them realising that is what you are doing, getting them to sit on something usually gives a fraction of a second when they aren't moving:

To the moon! by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Thanks for the feedback Lewis. It could be that I was shooting at f2.8 and, although that was giving me a SS of 1/320 sec, it is possible that he was still moving. I had it set up on continuous focus and face detection was on. He has beautiful eyes that really stand out, and if I don't capture them I'm disappointed....

Eyes have it by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Struggling a bit with sharpness on my X-T20; especially at the fully extended length of my 18-55mm. I've taken the grain effect off all my JPEG Custom Settings and have the camera in high performance mode, but images are still, for want of a better word - smeary. I notice @Craikeybaby's X-T2 with the 35mm is lovely and sharp - is this literally just the difference between a decent prime and a zoom lens? Or am I just crap at photography :)

Struggling a bit with sharpness on my X-T20; especially at the fully extended length of my 18-55mm. I've taken the grain effect off all my JPEG Custom Settings and have the camera in high performance mode, but images are still, for want of a better word - smeary. I notice @Craikeybaby's X-T2 with the 35mm is lovely and sharp - is this literally just the difference between a decent prime and a zoom lens? Or am I just crap at photography :)

Is OIS on and what sort of shutter speeds are you talking about here?

Have you got any examples? I've had to go back through my Flickr to find anything from the long end of my 18-55, as I preferred the 55-200 at 55mm, to the 18-55 at 55mm. 1/1000th should be OK. I always shoot in raw and process in Lightroom though. (That's my lad who has now pretty much claimed my X-T2)

Owen by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

OIS is on and I just shoot in Aperture Priority so probably don't pay as much attention as I should; but a quick look at my photos from this year so far does seem to point to ones I don't love being at around 1/1000 there or there abouts...

Assuming handheld, then those settings should be ok. It maybe that your zoom lens is slightly soft at the 55mm end (were these at F4?)

@Jelster Steve. I always shot this way for this scenario. The X-T5 has great subject detection. Manual setting 1/500th or to taste, lens usually f2-2.8. AF-C. Auto ISO.

Last edited:
Have you got any examples? I've had to go back through my Flickr to find anything from the long end of my 18-55, as I preferred the 55-200 at 55mm, to the 18-55 at 55mm. 1/1000th should be OK. I always shoot in raw and process in Lightroom though. (That's my lad who has now pretty much claimed my X-T2)

Owen by Lewis Craik, on Flickr
This is an example from today - View: https://flic.kr/p/2pGN1ds
- This is admittedly a crop (and also through a window...) but its very smudgy?

This is not a crop - View: https://flic.kr/p/2pGUc4L
- and is at 1/4000; still seems a bit fuzzy round the hard edges. But really it's probably fine and I'm nitpicking. This is not at the full 55mm though.
Assuming handheld, then those settings should be ok. It maybe that your zoom lens is slightly soft at the 55mm end (were these at F4?)
Yes, F4

It doesn't help that I'm on a forum of people with a lot more experience than me! But I'm seeing pics on the same or older sensors than the X-T20 which seem sharper to me; so I feel like I'm doing it wrong

Last edited:
Back