The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Has anyone on here got the Viltrox 23mm F/1.4? I’ve got the 13mm and I really like it… I want something a bit wider than my 35mm, and the Viltrox is £50 cheaper than a used Fuji lens.
I’ve not got the Viltrox 23mm but I do have the Viltrox 27mm 1.2 and it is an amazing lens. I sold my Fuji 23mm 1.4 and have no regrets. The sharpness is superb. Probably my sharpest lens and I own a few

Does anyone else’s 50-230mm sort of hum when the camera is on…? I guess it’s the AF motor ‘ticking over’?

Has anyone on here got the Viltrox 23mm F/1.4? I’ve got the 13mm and I really like it… I want something a bit wider than my 35mm, and the Viltrox is £50 cheaper than a used Fuji lens.

I had one but sold it last month as it sat between my 18mm and 27mm ( I also have the Viltrox 33 f1.4 ). Great lens IMO, very sharp but some CA wide open that can usually be fixed in post

I missed the Adobe Photography Plan discount on Amazon while deliberating about cameras and it went back up to £119 the other day, but then googled just now and got this link to the same product but listed differently on Amazon and currently only £80.99. Just purchased and redeemed fine - stacked onto existing plan that expired in May 2024.

Thanks for the heads up. Just added it to my plan.
Every little bit helps

Jake

I missed the Adobe Photography Plan discount on Amazon while deliberating about cameras and it went back up to £119 the other day, but then googled just now and got this link to the same product but listed differently on Amazon and currently only £80.99. Just purchased and redeemed fine - stacked onto existing plan that expired in May 2024.

Thanks for this. I recently went back to LR by going for the pay-monthly deal. When I saw this offer on Amazon, I went for it this morning. After paying for it and grabbing the code, I went to Adobe and redeemed it, and was told that it would renew in April 2025. But when I looked at my Adobe account, all I see is the pay-monthly deal. I'm assuming it didn't stack onto my existing plan as Adobe treat pay-annually and pay-monthly accounts as separate deals. But having bought into both plans, I expected to see the new one listed, so I could simply cancel the monthly plan.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for this. I recently went back to LR by going for the pay-monthly deal. When I saw this offer on Amazon, I went for it this morning. After paying for it and grabbing the code, I went to Adobe and redeemed it, and was told that it would renew in April 2025. But when I looked at my Adobe account, all I see is the pay-monthly deal. I'm assuming it didn't stack onto my existing plan as Adobe treat pay-annually and pay-monthly accounts as separate deals. But having bought into both plans, I expected to see the new one listed, so I could simply cancel the monthly plan.

Am I missing something here?
It's does take a while for it to appear in your account.

I was
Thanks. And nope, that didn't occur to me either. :D
I am/was on the monthly subscription plan and when I added the code I initially couldn’t see any difference ie next monthly payment would be April as per usual. Scratching my head thinking that I couldn’t use the discounted yearly plan I looked again at my account and I saw that the next monthly payment was indeed scheduled for April but April 2025! DOH!

Jake

Last edited:
I have a post card on my fridge I picked up in a museum from Amsterdam with a face on it. I used to use that face as a test for eye-af.

I've never actually used face/eye detect, but I was playing with it the other day and I used a random family portrait that I found on Flickr.

Here's a monkey we encountered in Kamikochi, Japan. This was during our first encounter with them and it was pretty terrifying.

We arrived there late afternoon, and decided to have a quick walk around some of the nearby trails just to get ourselves acquainted with the area. We were there for the last few days of the season - Kamikochi closes down in late autumn due to heavy snow through the winter.
So we were out late in the day, late in the season. We'd walked maybe 30 minutes or so away from the resort and hadn't seen another person since we left, so felt pretty isolated.

The path was narrow, and overgrown/boggy on either side. As we came around a corner we spotted a monkey sitting roughly 15m ahead. We stopped and marvelled, as this was our first time.
Pretty quickly though, it clocked us, and started walking confidently right at us. As it did, another 5-10 emerged from the undergrowth and joined it. Suddenly, we realised the path isn't wide enough for all of us and we had nowhere to go.
We had no idea if these were "tame", or rather, used to tourists... I shuffled myself and Mrs Jimmy to the edge of the path as much as possible, and said not to look them in the eye, no sudden movements etc... Basically just stay still until they're gone. All I could think about were those horrific videos you see of people feeding wild monkeys, where everything seems fine and in a blink of an eye they rip half your scalp off or something...

Thankfully, they passed without incident... They took their time, and after a few minutes it didn't seem quite so threatening. As the last few passed by I slowly crouched to take some photos. I only had the 27mm on but they were more than close enough for that. I didn't realise though, that the last to pass was a mother/baby... She paused before passing, looking a bit unsure. I didn't want to stand up as that would be more threatening, but crouching there was clearly upsetting her too...I did my best to appear disinterested, while keeping her in the corner of my eye. Eventually, she bared her teeth before scurrying past quickly. I didn't get the shot of that, I was too busy trying not to soil myself!

After a loonnnnngg sigh of relief, we started heading back. On the way back we came across some bear poop and some signs warning about recent bear attacks, and to stay well away from the monkeys.

We bought bear bells the next morning, and although we had a few more monkey encounters, they were in the more popular areas and seemed more used to humans.

Kamikochi by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Loving this one! Is that just a RAW SOOC or is there a JPEG recipe on that?
Thanks - it is RAW and a LR preset called 'cyan shade, light haze, slight fade' applied.

For the first time since my Canon 20D in about 2004, I have been shooting in RAW (+JPG) on the new 6 and have been dabbling with 'processing' the RAWs - they are new to me as I normally exclusively shoot in JPG. For example, I knew the film sims don't, but I didn't appreciate that the digital zoom applied in the camera also doesn't show up when viewing the RAW file. Having 40MP to play with the digital zoom doesn't seem to affect IQ much at all so have been experimenting - again never really used this on my previous X100s.

Here's a monkey we encountered in Kamikochi, Japan. This was during our first encounter with them and it was pretty terrifying.

We arrived there late afternoon, and decided to have a quick walk around some of the nearby trails just to get ourselves acquainted with the area. We were there for the last few days of the season - Kamikochi closes down in late autumn due to heavy snow through the winter.
So we were out late in the day, late in the season. We'd walked maybe 30 minutes or so away from the resort and hadn't seen another person since we left, so felt pretty isolated.

The path was narrow, and overgrown/boggy on either side. As we came around a corner we spotted a monkey sitting roughly 15m ahead. We stopped and marvelled, as this was our first time.
Pretty quickly though, it clocked us, and started walking confidently right at us. As it did, another 5-10 emerged from the undergrowth and joined it. Suddenly, we realised the path isn't wide enough for all of us and we had nowhere to go.
We had no idea if these were "tame", or rather, used to tourists... I shuffled myself and Mrs Jimmy to the edge of the path as much as possible, and said not to look them in the eye, no sudden movements etc... Basically just stay still until they're gone. All I could think about were those horrific videos you see of people feeding wild monkeys, where everything seems fine and in a blink of an eye they rip half your scalp off or something...

Thankfully, they passed without incident... They took their time, and after a few minutes it didn't seem quite so threatening. As the last few passed by I slowly crouched to take some photos. I only had the 27mm on but they were more than close enough for that. I didn't realise though, that the last to pass was a mother/baby... She paused before passing, looking a bit unsure. I didn't want to stand up as that would be more threatening, but crouching there was clearly upsetting her too...I did my best to appear disinterested, while keeping her in the corner of my eye. Eventually, she bared her teeth before scurrying past quickly. I didn't get the shot of that, I was too busy trying not to soil myself!

After a loonnnnngg sigh of relief, we started heading back. On the way back we came across some bear poop and some signs warning about recent bear attacks, and to stay well away from the monkeys.

We bought bear bells the next morning, and although we had a few more monkey encounters, they were in the more popular areas and seemed more used to humans.

Kamikochi by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Nice shot - and a terrifying story!

Afternoon everyone - Does anyone have a battery grip for an x-T3 for sale ?
I’ll stick this in the classified, but thought I would start here.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Great shots Paul, incredibly lifelike. (y)
Thanks, mate. Appreciated (y)

Excellent!
Showed these to my 5 year old grandson who is going through a Star Wars obsession at the moment (no one to blame but myself as I did the introduction) and he loved them.

Jake
Haha that'll teach you ;) There's lots more on my Flickr (toys album)

If there are any that he'd specifically like, I can send you the full res, so you can get it printed for him (May the fourth etc) :)

Back