The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

There's new firmware for X-H2S, amongst others.

Another Monkey shot, this was in a more popular area with plenty of other people around. Spotted this guy wayyyyy off in the distance while everyone was looking at the few around our feet. This is at the long end of my 70-300mm.

I could feel somebody looking over my shoulder, likely wondering what I was looking at, which is when I dropped my first bit of "real" Japanese with a native. Up until then I had only really ordered food or asked where the toilets were etc...

"Sono saru wa sakana wo tabete imasu" which (I believe) translates to "That monkey is eating fish". They seemed to understand! I even got Jouzu'd for the first time (It's kind of a meme with people learning Japanese... Japanese people will say your Japanese is good, or "jouzu", even if you just say one word and pronounce it poorly. They just want to encourage you!).
But yeah they seemed genuinely surprised at what I said, and that seemed to catch the attention of others nearby. Pretty soon I had a crowd forming to look at my screen.

This little guy has been living rent free in my head ever since... Did they just snatch it out of the river? Stun it with rocks? Fashion a tiny rod out of sticks/vines?

I don't know how he got it, and it keeps me up at night.

Kamikochi by Jamie Moulton, on Flickr

Anyone had a play with the 18mm f2 (pancake) lens? I really like the 27mm pancake I have; but sometimes I do crave a wider angle...

Anyone had a play with the 18mm f2 (pancake) lens? I really like the 27mm pancake I have; but sometimes I do crave a wider angle...

It was probably the 'worst' of the 3 original primes in terms of sharpness, but a lot of people out there like the rendering of it.

Last edited:
It was probably the 'worst' of the 3 original primes in terms of sharpness, but a lot of people out there like the rendering of it.
That's exactly what I love about them. I don't have one at present but a few have come and gone over the years. Really the only reason I don't have one now is that my X100F is my small grab' camera and so there is no particular need for me to have a pancake lens for my X-T4.

The 18mm has plenty of objective flaws in terms of absolute sharpness, flare control, vignetting, AF speed and AF noise to name the obvious ones but I'm a sucker for the actual images it produces. I don't have the depth of knowledge or vocabulary to tell you why they appeal but they have a 'look' that reminds me a lot of film lenses. And it's worth mentioning that though sharpness may not score highly on MTF charts, we are still talking about a fairly modern lens here. It's really not bad even wide open.

Last edited:
I admit this is a question entirely born of GAS and nothing to do with necessity....

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my X-T4 to an X-T5. Generally speaking with most gadgets and cameras especially, I'm happy to skip a generation or two rather than always having the latest and greatest. I've had my X-T4 for 4 years now and that's testament to how happy I have been and still am with it.

The only reason this question has even entered the equation is that I have a little bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket and a trip to LeMans 24 hour race coming up and I just wonder if I might benefit a little from the better AF system. Truthfully, I probably don't think it will make much difference on what generally speaking are not challenging AF targets but I'd be interested to hear hands on experience.

More generally, my main interest is landscape photography and so of course the 40mp interests me but particularly the high-res mode. Any one have any comments on that? I think the flippy screen difference is a six and two three things for me. Pros and cons with both.

I think I'm probably erring toward sticking with the X-T4 and seeing what an X-T6 brings (any rumours on that?) but I could maybe have my arm twisted.

Last edited:
I admit this is a question entirely born of GAS and nothing to do with necessity....

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my X-T4 to an X-T5. Generally speaking with most gadgets and cameras especially, I'm happy to skip a generation or two rather than always having the latest and greatest. I've had my X-T4 for 4 years now and that's testament to how happy I have been and still am with it.

The only reason this question has even entered the equation is that I have a little bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket and a trip to LeMans 24 hour race coming up and I just wonder if I might benefit a little from the better AF system. Truthfully, I probably don't think it will make much difference on what generally speaking are not challenging AF targets but I'd be interested to hear hands on experience.

More generally, my main interest is landscape photography and so of course the 40mp interests me but particularly the high-res mode. Any one have any comments on that? I think the flippy screen difference is a six and two three things for me. Pros and cons with both.

I think I'm probably erring toward sticking with the X-T4 and seeing what an X-T6 brings (any rumours on that?) but I could maybe have my arm twisted.

The 'biggest' difference has to be 40MP, which obviously offers more resolution, but also offers more cropability whilst still retaining a decent resolution image, this has obvious benefits in extending the effcetive focal length range of your lenses, maybe useful for motorsport.

Highres modes really need a still scene and still cmaer to work effectively, so IMO you don't get much benefit in landscape work as the scene is rarely still.

The 'biggest' difference has to be 40MP, which obviously offers more resolution, but also offers more cropability whilst still retaining a decent resolution image, this has obvious benefits in extending the effcetive focal length range of your lenses, maybe useful for motorsport.

Highres modes really need a still scene and still cmaer to work effectively, so IMO you don't get much benefit in landscape work as the scene is rarely still.

Cheers Mr P. I hadn't really considered the cropability. That is a good point.

On the HR mode, I've used it on Olympus cameras so I'm aware of the more general limitation but how is the implementation on Fuji? Raw straight out of camera? Easy to engage hi-res mode in the field or is it buried three menus deep and can only be activated when certain other menu items are selected?

Not that I try to rely on it as I prefer to frame in the OVF, but I am already seeing benefits in the 40MP with both cropability and the digital zoom on the 6.

According to the internet there is not a lot of image degradation with the digital zoom due to the resolution advantages that 40MP brings.

Not that I try to rely on it as I prefer to frame in the OVF, but I am already seeing benefits in the 40MP with both cropability and the digital zoom on the 6.

According to the internet there is not a lot of image degradation with the digital zoom due to the resolution advantages that 40MP brings.

I found the same strangely. It's my first X100 series so don't know how it compares to others, but shooting at full res then cropping seems to be noticeably better than shooting "M" or "S" via the digital zoom. If I shoot in digital zoom, then the resulting photos really don't take any kind of cropping at all, they pixelate almost immediately. However, shooting in 40MP and cropping in, I can crop in much further than the equivalent of the digital zoom. I could crop to 50% of the digital equivalent and it would still look perfectly fine. I almost think there's some kind of bug there, because technically it shouldn't make any difference.

That 40MP sensor is pretty bonkers with a good lens in front of it. It's amazing how much cropping it can deal with. I may well be tempted to ditch my XT3 + lenses alltogether tbh.

Last edited:

You effectively have the same crop modes as the Leica Q3 from 35mm FF equivalent - I suspect though that teh Fuji lens won't resolve quite as well as the Leica ('I suspect' is being conservative as the Leica Q3 lens out resolves my GF45mm for the GFX system!!!) - going back to the X100VI you should get around 6MP for a 90mm crop - without having to resort to a digital zoom.

This is the Leica with a 90mm crop from its native 28mm

240203 90mm Crop Outline by David Yeoman, on Flickr

240203 90mm Crop by David Yeoman, on Flickr

I would hope that you get similar with the X100VI but you would have to stand a little closer to reduce the native 28mm to the Fuji's 35mm (FF equivalents) - though this image was shot at F1.7 :)

I'm pleased that you are enjoying the X100VI, please keep using it and taking images!

That will be true to a point, but you will get to a point where a cropped non digital zoomed image will be of better quality than the intepolated digital zoom image.

I have one, yes the AF is a little noisy and slow ( relatively ) but I’ve never had an issue with sharpness

You effectively have the same crop modes as the Leica Q3 from 35mm FF equivalent - I suspect though that teh Fuji lens won't resolve quite as well as the Leica ('I suspect' is being conservative as the Leica Q3 lens out resolves my GF45mm for the GFX system!!!) - going back to the X100VI you should get around 6MP for a 90mm crop - without having to resort to a digital zoom.

This is the Leica with a 90mm crop from its native 28mm

240203 90mm Crop Outline by David Yeoman, on Flickr

240203 90mm Crop by David Yeoman, on Flickr

I would hope that you get similar with the X100VI but you would have to stand a little closer to reduce the native 28mm to the Fuji's 35mm (FF equivalents) - though this image was shot at F1.7 :)

I'm pleased that you are enjoying the X100VI, please keep using it and taking images!

That will be true to a point, but you will get to a point where a cropped non digital zoomed image will be of better quality than the intepolated digital zoom image.

Thanks that’s helpful to know.
Of course with my new found exploration of RAW files, the digital zoom in the jpg version is not replicated in the RAW version in LR (found the setting to treat jpg and raw as two separate photos so there may be one for the digital zoom) so it is not much use and would result in cropping anyway.

I'm after more advice; so thanks in advance. I've managed to find an X-E4 which is not a ridiculous price, and I'm really struggling between it and going for an X-T30II.

Obviously the X-T30ii has exactly the same design as the X-T20 I have. I really like the way it handles and it's very ergonomic; however beyond actually taking photos I find it difficult to live with. The design isn't very refined in that it has a lot of things sticking out - the screen isn't flush, for example; I knock the dials when taking it in and out of bags; whilst the EVF is great in use the classic SLR style hump again gets caught on my bag. So its all quality of life type stuff.

The X-E4 solves a lot of those gripes; but I'm concerned about the ergonomics. I think I can live with the fewer dials (the lack of MCS will always hurt though) but I'm concerned about the grip and how it'll handle my 50-230mm. Also (for some reason) the FPS on the X-E4 is 20 versus the 30fps on the X-T30II for continuous shots. Not sure why given that, internally, they're the same camera.

To pre-empt some questions: Generally I like to shoot landscapes and street photography on the regular, and (as you can probably see from the longer lens shots) wildlife when its about/I'm on holiday. The reason for seeking upgrades is better AF, access to newer film sims, insert GAS reason here...

I've probably already asked this question already but....what do you reckon? Think I'll regret the X-E4 move?

Last edited:
I'd suggest going for the X-E4, they're pretty rare, so should be easy to move on if you find it too restrictive.

The X-E series are not too bad with teh XC50-230mm as its a light lens, any of the XF telephoto's IMO will unbalance the handling.

Lack of function buttons isn't really an issue, you don't need lots of them (it can be nice to have) but I rarely find I'm using lots of them.

If you don't want teh SLR hump then there are not many options.

If you want a better handling camera then I'd go for the X-T3, but if you want no hump then an X-E series is the way to go.

The X-E series are not too bad with teh XC50-230mm as its a light lens, any of the XF telephoto's IMO will unbalance the handling.

Lack of function buttons isn't really an issue, you don't need lots of them (it can be nice to have) but I rarely find I'm using lots of them.

If you don't want teh SLR hump then there are not many options.

If you want a better handling camera then I'd go for the X-T3, but if you want no hump then an X-E series is the way to go.
I really like the handling of the X-T30 size. The X-T4 adds quite a lot of weight for not much benefit ergonomically, at least for me. Its a really tough decision to make when you can't get your hands on an X-E4. I've had a go with an X-E3 which I quite liked; but the fixed screen on that is a bit of a deal breaker.

I'd suggest going for the X-E4, they're pretty rare, so should be easy to move on if you find it too restrictive.
I did make the guy an offer on his X-E4 which he's turned down for now. He wants £950 for it but it comes with the 27mm WR lens. So its basically retail price; which on principle erks me because its used! The last body I saw on eBay went for £700 at auction.

Last edited:
I'm after more advice; so thanks in advance. I've managed to find an X-E4 which is not a ridiculous price, and I'm really struggling between it and going for an X-T30II.

Obviously the X-T30ii has exactly the same design as the X-T20 I have. I really like the way it handles and it's very ergonomic; however beyond actually taking photos I find it difficult to live with. The design isn't very refined in that it has a lot of things sticking out - the screen isn't flush, for example; I knock the dials when taking it in and out of bags; whilst the EVF is great in use the classic SLR style hump again gets caught on my bag. So its all quality of life type stuff.

The X-E4 solves a lot of those gripes; but I'm concerned about the ergonomics. I think I can live with the fewer dials (the lack of MCS will always hurt though) but I'm concerned about the grip and how it'll handle my 50-230mm. Also (for some reason) the FPS on the X-E4 is 20 versus the 30fps on the X-T30II for continuous shots. Not sure why given that, internally, they're the same camera.

To pre-empt some questions: Generally I like to shoot landscapes and street photography on the regular, and (as you can probably see from the longer lens shots) wildlife when its about/I'm on holiday. The reason for seeking upgrades is better AF, access to newer film sims, insert GAS reason here...

I've probably already asked this question already but....what do you reckon? Think I'll regret the X-E4 move?
I have been playing about with the 50-230 on the x-e1 recently and it handles OK. Not to heavy overall and not really unbalanced.

One thing to bear in mind with the X-T30, if you like ergonomics: the Q menu button pretty much couldn't be in a worse place; one of the first things I did was switch the button to have no function, and moved the Q menu to the button on the top plate. Even so, occasionally I'd accidently press the Q button for long enough that the button configuration menu would pop up.

Back