The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A few of us have been waiting for someone to get one and share the results. So I say go for it :) it's still a full manual lens though so no great advantage over a legacy lens using an adapter unless the glass is very good.

Another option for true 1:1 macro is the zeiss 50mm.
Thanks Barry - I shoot with the Canon 100mm at the moment and like the working distance this gives so the Zeiss 50 would probably not work for me. I typically manual focus with it also for close up work so the Samyang should be fine. (And maybe this 'focus peaking' thing would actually help ?!)

One final thing - I have an MT24 macro flash with fancy diffusers which I would like to keep using - would it fire (in manual mode which is what I use anyway) if I mounted it on the Fuji do you think? Cheers :)

Shouldn't be any problem using the flash in manual. It's a shame the canon doesn't have a manual aperture control because you could just use an adapter. But there are still a few older macro lenses around the 100mm that would work.

Talking of macro lenses. I have a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens. Has anyone tried to use this on a Fuji? As it doesn't have an aperture ring how would I change this. Or is it a stoopid idea and should I just sell to MPB?

Talking of macro lenses. I have a Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens. Has anyone tried to use this on a Fuji? As it doesn't have an aperture ring how would I change this. Or is it a stoopid idea and should I just sell to MPB?

With a standard EF adapter the lens will be wide open all the time. as @minnnt said above (somewhere) you can buy adapters with manual apertures in them, but all the reviews I've read have said that these are quite coarse/agricultural.

I miss my prime lens having had the 35mm but sold it before firmware v4. Then got the 18-55 but have never really gelled with it and subsequently have hardly had the urge to take my camera out.

I'm thinking of selling the 18-55 and treating myself to either the 23 or 56. I'm thinking 23 to cover the wider end as my only other lens is the 50-200, but there again I loved the 85mm on my Nikon D7000 so contemplating the 56mm.

I've got my sisters wedding next year and 2 new babies in the family this December so hopefully enough new stuff to get my interest back, just struggling to make a decision

I miss my prime lens having had the 35mm but sold it before firmware v4. Then got the 18-55 but have never really gelled with it and subsequently have hardly had the urge to take my camera out.

I'm thinking of selling the 18-55 and treating myself to either the 23 or 56. I'm thinking 23 to cover the wider end as my only other lens is the 50-200, but there again I loved the 85mm on my Nikon D7000 so contemplating the 56mm.

I've got my sisters wedding next year and 2 new babies in the family this December so hopefully enough new stuff to get my interest back, just struggling to make a decision

The 56 is amazing, it's not just the sharpness, but it has a 'differen't in a good way look to the pictures, and the colour rendition is lovely.

I've taken the view of having two sets of lenses, a prime set and a zoom set, so I can take out whichever set I'm in the mood for! What I'm trying to say is that I'd hang onto the 18-55 and just add the other lenses as you go. There will be times when you just want to use the zoom.

Last edited:
As a money saving exercise I was thinking of picking up a cheap 16-50 again for when I need a multi purpose walkaround

As a money saving exercise I was thinking of picking up a cheap 16-50 again for when I need a multi purpose walkaround

16-50mm and the 56/1.2 would be a good combo :) You'll need something wider for capturing babies indoors, and the zoom will give you stabilisation to offset the slow max aperture.

Anyone used both the OIS I and II versions of the 16-50 to provide a comparison or recomendation. I saw the newer version for a tenner more si seems a no brainer really.

the mk ii certainly focuses closer so certainly worth it from that point of view...

Seems pretty similar otherwise - oh the OIS does seem to work a bit better

Yeh, seems daft not to for a tenner ar used prices. Used to like the 16-50 on my X-A1

Ive got 18-55 but need to find some cash from somewhere

I'm in something of a dilemma and don't know what to do:(

I bought a lens from someone on here. A Samyang 8mm fisheye. Seems to be nice and sharp and works well.
Unfortunately the guy who sold it to me "forgot to mention" that he had dropped it and the integral hood had been smashed. He had glued it back together (badly) and never noticed it when he was selling it or packing it up for delivery. Yes, I thought that too!

We spoke via PM and agreed a partial refund of the purchase fee. Stupid me; I should have sent it back but didn't.

As I say the lens has performed well but when I got home from last weekend's Manchester meet the broken bit had become detached and had disappeared. It is more than half of the bottom cup and while it will probably have little effect in landscape mode it can certainly have an effect in portrait mode.

I've been chasing Samyang and their importers but spares are not available although it can be repaired although at a silly price. I might as well put those funds towards a new MkII version.

So the question is.....what do I do with this lens? It works fine, but the hood is damaged beyond repair. This means that the lens cap doesn't stay on too well, but I carry it in a pouch anyway. I'm just about to press the button on buying a new one but what do I do with the lens? It's too good to ditch, but has no real resale value.

All suggestions welcome:help::help::help:

I don't know how good you are at DIY/ Projects mickledore? I have just checked my Samyang 8mm and if I had the same problem, I would buy a lens cap for it and
remove enough of the center until it slides over the barrel of the lens (reversed), and then work the sides into the petal shapes?

but what do I do withthe lens? It's too good to ditch, but has no real resale value.

Sell it to me please for twenty quid so I can mess about trying to make a hood ( that's what happens when you retire)

I don't know how good you are at DIY/ Projects mickledore? I have just checked my Samyang 8mm and if I had the same problem, I would buy a lens cap for it and
remove enough of the center until it slides over the barrel of the lens (reversed), and then work the sides into the petal shapes?
I'm a good bodge and thought of that but it looked as though it wouldn't really come out right. I'm a bit of a perfectionist!!!

@mickledore Go for it, just off to clear my freezer out, but what you suggested is fine with me thanks

Had a think and I will post a wanted thread for a Samyang 8mm Fisheye, much easier

Last edited:
Hi, just back from a day taking money off the bookies at Haydock Park races.
I'll go to the classifieds and have a look for your wanted ad.

Hi
New to this having just bought an XT-1
Quick question can I get an adapter to allow me to use a sigma 50mm 1.4 EX ( canon fit ) on my XT-1

cheers

Assuming that is an EF mount lens then yes, but..... Unless the aperture can be controlled manually on the lens, it will shoot wide open at f1.4

You can get mount adapters with in built aperture control but they are very coarse/agricultural.

Canon EF mount lenses are not ideal as adapted lenses, i would suggest investing in the 56mm f1.2 instead which is a stellar lens, though not cheap!

Back