The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

wOOw Rick, you've certainly went for it.....! Good choice of bodies and glass my friend. Are those white boxes on the left batteries...?

Have fun!!! Looking forward to your images.

pete

You cant share this info then not declare to us masses your final efforts.
We promise not to laugh.......honest :D
Well I'm back. It's midnight and I've got a glass of scotch to start the thawing out process. Two hours stood on a barren hillside in the dark at minus 5 degrees is what some call fun.
No idea about the pictures; the camera is still thawing out. It was totally covered in frost when the shoot was finished.
Intervalometer seemed to work well.
Time to go and continue the warming up process by snuggling up to SWMBO who has been in bed for a couple of hours. Wonder how long before I get a thump?

Pictures tomorrow - bruises permitting.

What's peoples take on the Classic Chrome film simulation? I mainly shoot models in studio...

What's peoples take on the Classic Chrome film simulation? I mainly shoot models in studio...
I like it, it's permanently selected on my XT1 and X100T unless I'm doing scenery then I'd generally use Velvia.

Well I'm back :wave: Actually I had a long weekend off work, on a non photographic outing to Windsor and London (but did sneak the X100 with me!!), got a busy week ahead, 3 days on client sites and then two days with Frank!!!!

Yes should be up for a trip north of the border, perversely I'd prefer some of it to be on a weekday, given enough notice I can usually work my customers around my photographic assignments!!! Later in April would probably suit me better.

David (aka Mr Perceptive)
Morning. A quick check of the calendar shows that there's only one week in April that I have fully free. That is the week starting Monday11 April. I've either got work on (yes -really!) or SWMBO has some friends coming over to stay, and I'll have to acxt as wine waiter.

So Mr. P ansd Stupar...how does that fit? Book a couple of nights somewhere and have a couple of days togging?
Yes/No?

Did a quick calculation in my head and that blew my face of! Did you get any discount? Usually a hefty cashback for 3 lenses in one hit.

those cashbacks are dead..so I shopped smart, some bits from the states, some from the UK using sales, some from digital rev, some from Amazon etc etc. :) but yeah, it was over 6k all in..still got the 50-140 with 2x tele on the way, and the 100-400 on backorder, the 16-55mm f2.8 R LM WR and a couple of zeiss lenses too.

My name is Rick, and I am an addict!

Well. Was it worth it?
A frustrating night. The white line is caused by a succession of trains on Settle to Carlisle line. At that time of night?
We had problems with traffic driving under the viaduct. Farm traffic and Network Rail guys doing who knows what.
There is a lot of light pollution showing under the arches. We couldn't see any at all when we were there and it can only come from Newcastle which is more than 70 miles away.
250 shots in this. Each 30 secs, f8 ISO 800.

Ribblehead
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

Well. Was it worth it?
A frustrating night. The white line is caused by a succession of trains on Settle to Carlisle line. At that time of night?
We had problems with traffic driving under the viaduct. Farm traffic and Network Rail guys doing who knows what.
There is a lot of light pollution showing under the arches. We couldn't see any at all when we were there and it can only come from Newcastle which is more than 70 miles away.

Ribblehead

Looks good to me Frank!

Well. Was it worth it?

Ribblehead

I've never done star trails (not man enough to freeze my balls off in the middle of nowhere :D ) so take what I say with a pinch of salt Frank.
The overall result has come out pretty well for your first time.
Re th trains - you get minimal passenger but a lot of freight movement during the night and your white streak is essentially multiple trains stacked.
The light pollution from afar is well controlled in my eyes so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The star trails themselves look a little noisy/grainy. Was there any passing clouds at all? At F8 and ISO 800 you are really working the camera hard to get a decent exposure. If you plan to try it again sometime i would try a similar ISO speed but have your lens wide open and focus for hyperfocal. Your exposure length will obviously change but that is nothing that the intervalometer can't handle. Crucially though by having your lens wide open you are letting more light in so you will get brighter trails and foreground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I did try a variety of focussing methods/ apertures but could see diddly squat through the viewfinder/rear screen. I could only just make out the arches so focussing was totally hit and miss. I settled for f8 to try and ensure that everything was in focus. I couldn't see any stars at all so had no idea where the Pole Star would be in the final shot.
Yes there were passing clouds. Something like the last 30 mins saw increasing cloud cover. I've processed all my shots to try and get a biger arc of movement. I'll have another bash with fewer images, though some lack of sharpness is undoubetedly due to compression to fit onto flickr - I've reduced the size to 800 on the longest side - down from 4200 or so!

The trains were passenger trains. Two-car units running each way approx. every 30 mins. We couldn't see anyone on board.

Watch this space.....

Does anyone know where the rules for posting images to the gallery are kept? I know they exist but can't find them. I'm thinking about maximum permitted sizes.

Fuji shop now reads:

The Fujifilm Shop is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance. We are very sorry for the delay and fully expect to launch our site again tomorrow at 10:00am 16th February 2016. For any questions please email: contact.shop@fuji.co.uk

Let's all pray.

Hope nobody was holding their breath. They've just gone back to the date now, no time.

Really odd, wonder what they're up to.

Last edited:
Does make you wonder, doesn't. You'd expect such a large corporation to have a far better handle on things than this.

Not surprised tbh, yes you certainly would. Why change your ETA daily only to disappoint your customers, set a realistic schedule and stick to it! Very poor imo.

Thank you.
Have you given up with film totally now?

Officially no, I still have stacks in the freezer, however I also have a roll of Velvia half used in the OM4 that has been in there the last 3 years, and 3 rolls sat awaiting developing. I can't bring myself to either a) pay and get them developed and scanned (about £15 a roll!) or b) find a slide copier rig that will actually work with the APS sized XT1 sensor and then develop myself (I didn't much like the dedicated film scanners, too slooooow).

Here you are Stupar!
This is made up of just 200 images which are nearly all cloud free.
When I blow it up there do appear to be little gaps inbetween the individual images. I wonder if this is because the intervalometer has a minimum gap between shots of 1 sec. Strangeley there appears to be some curious effects at 90 degrees to each other. Wonder what caused that? They are not showing on this, but are quite clear on my blown up version.

URL=https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/photos/reduced.12933/]
14603-1455620877-d67f4aaf34342350a75ab16cd4ec1de3.jpg
[/URL]
reduced by mickledore on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Fuji shop now reads:

The Fujifilm Shop is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance. We are very sorry for the delay and fully expect to launch our site again tomorrow at 10:00am 16th February 2016. For any questions please email: contact.shop@fuji.co.uk

Let's all pray.
As of 11;20am it's still down, it has to be all the ready made broken X Pro 2's that are going on the refurb store that's holding it back. With paypal 12 I reckon I'll be getting a refurbed X pro 2 for around £899 when the site is finally back up :rolleyes:

As of 11;20am it's still down, it has to be all the ready made broken X Pro 2's that are going on the refurb store that's holding it back. With paypal 12 I reckon I'll be getting a refurbed X pro 2 for around £899 when the site is finally back up :rolleyes:

Should be back online with those prices around 3 months then. Ill put it in my diary.

All this must be connected to the failure to pay out cashback. Sounds like they are in the middle of a rejig and this probably is tied in with the recent directorial changes.

Not very good service.

LOL! Good luck with that but if it happens let me know and I'll have one, too!

Here you are Stupar!
This is made up of just 200 images which are nearly all cloud free.
When I blow it up there do appear to be little gaps inbetween the individual images. I wonder if this is because the intervalometer has a minimum gap between shots of 1 sec. Strangeley there appears to be some curious effects at 90 degrees to each other. Wonder what caused that? They are not showing on this, but are quite clear on my blown up version.

URL=https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/photos/reduced.12933/]
14603-1455620877-d67f4aaf34342350a75ab16cd4ec1de3.jpg
[/URL]
reduced by mickledore on Talk Photography

That looks far better than the flickr version....flickr must be applying some crazy compression algorithm to the images

Back