The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Why not start with just the 18-55mm and see how you get on with the camera

Why not start with just the 18-55mm and see how you get on with the camera

Yep. That's what I did. The kit lens is very very good indeed.
I was sure to add the 10-24, but ended up with the 55-200 instead. Not sure whether I'll get the 10-24 now, maybe if I get a bit more cash..

Like Trevor, I opted for the 18-55 and the 55-200, but having shot my first wedding using the XT1, I found myself wanting the extra width. I am now saving my pennies for the 10-24.

Spooks

Thanks for your replies... yeah, seems like the zoom trinity is a good initial setup. Then add primes as desired/required, I guess. ;)

Oh, and: Any more information about the drop date for the 16-55 at all? I just keep reading "later this summer" but I'd really like to take the X-T1 to Norway with me...

I m sure the Fuji lens road map has both the 16-50mm and 50-140mm F2.8 lenses to be announced winter 2014, at least for the time being.

After lusting for an X100 for years and resisting the X-Pro1 for another year or two, the X-T1 finally has me convinced... I'm all but certain I'll make the switch from 600D to X-T1... seeing as how selling my DSLR gear will allow me to spend at least some cash, I'm curious what the verdict on the ideal starter lens setup is? I've always been a sucker for fast primes but judging from the reviews I've read, the 18-55 seems decent enough to spend the few extra hundred and get the practical kit lens. Now as for tele, there's only one option and the 55-200 is zoom anyways. Which leaves me thinking...

a) should I get the complete "trinity" zoom package (10-24, 18-55, 55-200) to start with? This would set me back about 3.200€ which is roughly what I'm looking/able to spend.
b) should I go with primes and get the body, the 14mm, 35mm and 56mm? This would cost around 3.600€ which is a bit more and seems very limited?

Of course, it all depends on what I'm planning to do with it. For starters, I'm hiking through Norway later this summer so the 10-24 and the 55-200 would probably be very good lenses to bring along... and I'm travelling with a group (one other tog, two girls) so working fast is definitely an advantage... On the other hand, just reading "56mm F1.2" gets me all weak in the knees... Or, of course, the 50mm Zeiss, Blank_Canvas mentioned. But I mostly do travel photography, landscapes, cities, streets, some portraits, some macro... So I'm thinking a) and just get that sexy 56mm lens whenever I find some cash under the couch later?

Oh, and: Any more information about the drop date for the 16-55 at all? I just keep reading "later this summer" but I'd really like to take the X-T1 to Norway with me...

I only received my XT last thursday, I purchased it with the 35mm f1.4. And on the XP1 thread it's advised it should be the first lens you purchase, which I agree with, it's such a versatile lens.

I will be saving for the superzoom when launched later in the year. With the Xpro-1 due to disablilities I purchased the 16-50mm kit lens for the OIS to complement the 18mm kit lens at time, I then claimed the 60mm Macro free and then purchased the 35mm & 55-200mm when they had the £300 cashback.

I found the 55-200mm too short for my needs so I sold and purchased the 50-230mm to try and gain a little extra reach. From my use with the 16-50 & 55-230mm apart from being a little quicker, the 18-55( which I used with my XE-1) and the 55-200mm I would suggest not ruling these lenses out (16-50 & 50-230mm) as for IQ I couldn't see a lot of difference if any. You could then look to buy these used and then purchase the 35mm and 60mm Macro, although people say the 60mm is slow I havent found the case, and again, to what I have seen (only portraits) compered to the 56mm, again to me, its not that much better than the 60mm IQ wise although it's going to be quicker.

In short, in my opinion and based on using them on the XP1, Fuji don't make a bad lens and If your a prime man don't rule out the cheaper zooms, to complement your kit until you decide which are going to be your most used lenses. I purchased the 16-50 for £104.00 and the 50-230 for £174.00 both new from a split kits / free lens deals on ebay. I have since sold these at no loss due to the value and perfromance of them.

I sold my all my Fuji kit up to try the M 4/3 for the reach and better EVF over the XP1, but I found these too small to use for me due to my disabilities. Also, I couldn't give up the Fuji IQ.
For now I have some legacy glass until the superzoom comes out and I am using these with adapters on the XT1. I have found the EVF a massive improvement over the XP for manual focussing and my keeper rate has gone right up.

Last edited:
I came in at a tangent! I came into the Fuji X system the X-Pro 1 route with the 18mm and a free extra lens (I chose the 60mm). While I was at it, I went for the 2 lens deal and got the 18-55 and 55-200 with the cashback deal. Once the 10-24 was released, I traded the free 60mm in against it and added £500 to the lens on the deal. Seriously considering chopping the 18-55 in against the soon-to-be-released 18-135 since I'll be getting a £250 voucher off the lens as part of the deal when I bought the XT-1 body.

IMO, unless you're a big fan of shallow DoF, the zooms are well up to practically any job you want to point them at, especially on the XT-1 (which seems to handle high ISOs better than the X-Pro IMO) and the only one of the primes that really offers the shallow DoF is the f/1.2 one. For many years, I used primes since they were the only lenses that really offered the quality I wanted but modern zooms (especially the Fuji ones) are better than the primes I used to use in terms of sharpness and certainly in terms of flexibility!

I might wait to see if the 18-135 is offered as a kit deal and what price it is available for. I would probably prefer the fixed 2.8 shorter zoom but it look like it wont be released for a while still. Although an 18-135, 23 and 56 would make a pretty good lens setup for my interests(travel, portraits, weddings and landscape).

Thought we would take the dog out for a run yesterday and give our new car a spin. So thought it would be a good idea to give the XT with 35mm f1.4 a little outing. Pics of Cray Reservior, Brecon Promenade towards Sugar Loaf Mountain & One of Clare. Struggled a little with haze and getting the settings right. Pictures SOOC and handheld and due to my disabilities I am pleased how they have come out.

Brecon 17.06.2014 025 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Brecon 17.06.2014 064 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Brecon 17.06.2014 092 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Last edited:
I might wait to see if the 18-135 is offered as a kit deal and what price it is available for. I would probably prefer the fixed 2.8 shorter zoom but it look like it wont be released for a while still. Although an 18-135, 23 and 56 would make a pretty good lens setup for my interests(travel, portraits, weddings and landscape).

The 18-135mm will be offered as a kit with the xt1 according to the Fuji rep I spoke to at Park Cameras last week

Thought we would take the dog out for a run yesterday and give our new car a spin. So thought it would be a good idea to give the XT with 35mm f1.4 a little outing. Pics of Cray Reservior, Brecon Promenade towards Sugar Loaf Mountain & One of Clare. Struggled a little with haze and getting the settings right. Pictures SOOC and handheld and due to my disabilities I am pleased how they have come out.

Brecon 17.06.2014 025 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Brecon 17.06.2014 064 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Brecon 17.06.2014 092 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Simon. Looks like you and the XT-1 are well suited. Next time you post pictures use the larger 1024 size. It saves clicking through to Flickr to see them.

Simon. Looks like you and the XT-1 are well suited. Next time you post pictures use the larger 1024 size. It saves clicking through to Flickr to see them.

Thanks Trevor, I was wondering what was going on. Me and posting pics always seems to be a problem, I'll get there though.

As for the camera, for me the EVF is much user friendly compared to the XP1. I couldn't get on with it using the zooms it would take ages for my eye to recover after using even for only a short time. It was one of the reasons I sold my Fuji kit as mentioned in above post along with the reach of current zooms. I have found it so much easier using legacy lenses compared to the XP1. Also the IQ is so much better in my opinion compared to the EM5 & GX7 I tried in M 4/3. Plus the user interface is more rewarding for newish people to photography who are still learning.

Last edited:
Thanks again for many more interesting replies and experiences... As so often with these decisions, there's a choice to be made between gut feeling and rational reasoning... The zooms seem to be the smarter choice overall (10-24, 18-55 and 55-200 is all you need, really... and they all seem to be really good) but then again – nearly all cameras and lenses are decent enough these days to produce quality photographs. The fun factor and what marketing people call "joy of use" will determine in the end how good your photos actually are.

From my experience with Canon DSLRs since the original 300D and almost two dozen different lenses at some point since then, I just know I'd be having a lot of fun with the 35/1.4 and the 56/1.2 so after some more thought, I think I'll go with the 10-24 for landscapes (I can't pass up on that one if I'm going to hike through Norway, can I! Wide enough for good landscapes and long enough for some shots of the group and the like) and the standard "nifty" 35/1.4 initially, looking to add the 56/1.2 as soon as I've sold all my Canon gear and stumble upon some money. The tele will have to wait.

Ordered my XT-1 on Monday, received it on Thursday and managed to get out with it this afternoon, Wow how good is that EVF, no discernible lag that I could see, good colour and handled flare pretty well too. I let my two XE-1's go earlier in the year as they didn't quite do it for me in terms of handling/ergonomics but the XT-1 is a real step forward, I really like being able to glance at the top of the camera and instantly see my settings and be able to change them equally as quickly, handles more like a DSLR but with a much nicer form factor.

I'll give it another couple of outings but it already looks like the writings on the wall for the D7100, I was thinking about using both systems side by side but if this afternoon is anything to go by then I'll probably move completely to Fuji and sell all of my Nikon gear.

I also liked the weight (or lack of it) even with the vertical battery grip and the 18-55 it's still lighter than the D7100 and 8-16mm Sigma, didn't use a neck or shoulder strap just a Footprint leather wrist strap and found it really comfortable.

If Fuji keep moving in this direction then I for one will be sticking with them, the IQ on jpegs SOOC is really good more than enough for any of my printing needs (A3/A2) not shot any RAW as yet but will assume it's the same as I was getting from the XE-1.

I really enjoyed today as well, same sort of feeling I had when I got my first Olympus OM camera (similar size as well) I'll try and get out again tonight with the 35mm on and already looking forward to it.

All in all one of my better purchases.

Well my refurb XT1 is going back to Fuji, the camera was freezing when using the main menu buttons and not metering correctly when in A mode. I will await my refund through Payapl > Card then look to purchase a brand new one next week.

Ordered my XT-1 on Monday, received it on Thursday and managed to get out with it this afternoon, Wow...

It's nice to read a post so full of... joy. I hope you continue to be happy with your new kit.

I'm not a Fuji owner... I went for MFT and A7 but I think I can relate to Fuji ownership... freedom from the weight and bulk of DSLR's and a return to what cameras pretty much used to be.

It's nice to read a post so full of... joy. I hope you continue to be happy with your new kit.

I'm not a Fuji owner... I went for MFT and A7 but I think I can relate to Fuji ownership... freedom from the weight and bulk of DSLR's and a return to what cameras pretty much used to be.

And "Joy" hits the nail on the head, I can remember my first proper camera, a Praktica MTL 5, m42 lens mount and exposure metered through the lens, depth of field preview and nothing else to assist, so simple and nothing else to obsess about, just frame the shot, focus, check that the little needle was between the plus and minus and away you go.

The XT-1 for me harks back to that ethos in a small way and it's really refreshing and because of the smaller form factor (less is more) it will come with me more often and will at least give me the opportunity to be more creative.

So nostalgia and retro go hand in hand for me and although it's only been a couple of days it seems to be working, for me anyway.

Indeed, I feel exactly the same. Like you, I learned photography on SLRs and the 3 primary controls take it all back for me. I love the aperture ring on the lenses and it's a great way of working. I have even been shooting more in Manual mode and using the metering for my exposures. It is very refreshing. I've never really liked the tiny ISO button and command wheel on modern DSLRs but as that's all there was I found myself having to adapt. I feel I have a found a renewed sense of freedom again and recaptured my workflow and thought processes of the 80s. Sometimes I have thought it's just like I was back there when in the 'creative zone' halcyon happy days :)

Woohoo, I am now an X-T1 owner, and Dave of this parish is now an A7R owner! Now to sell a few organs and acquire a 10-24 and a 56 1.2!

Anybody tried the new Samyang ultra wides - the 10mm and the 12mm?

Woohoo, I am now an X-T1 owner, and Dave of this parish is now an A7R owner! Now to sell a few organs and acquire a 10-24 and a 56 1.2!

I think Paul (AKA antihero) had the Samyang wides, if you look through the Xpro1 thread he has posted some pics there.

WoOt !! Good stuff. I take it you've got the kit 18-55 lens ?

I think Paul (AKA antihero) had the Samyang wides, if you look through the Xpro1 thread he has posted some pics there.

Could only find the fisheye. However samples on the net appear to show the 12mm to be the better lens, would really like to see how it fares on Fuji though before I commit to buying.

WoOt !! Good stuff. I take it you've got the kit 18-55 lens ?

Yep, and 55-200 and 35mm. :)

Hi, just thought I'd chip in on this thread.

When it comes to 35mm film cameras I've always found that Nikon suits me best and without a doubt one of my favorite Nikon cameras of all time is the FE2 with Motor Drive, I just really loved the feel of using that camera and still use it from time to time even now.

It's hardly surprising then why for me the Fuji X-T1 feels so right with the battery pack attached. The other day I put them side by side with the Motor Drive attached to the Nikon and the Battery Pack attached to the Fuji, it's uncanny how much they resemble each other both in looks, size, & feel.

Outside of my professional work which is mostly on 5x4, the X-T1 is more often than not my camera of choice when I'm out and about, I love using this system. And the image quality is so good with lenses that are of superlative quality that I am using it for some of my professional work when Large & Medium format quality is not needed.

Just my opinion of how good this system is.

George.

Hi, just thought I'd chip in on this thread.

When it comes to 35mm film cameras I've always found that Nikon suits me best and without a doubt one of my favorite Nikon cameras of all time is the FE2 with Motor Drive, I just really loved the feel of using that camera and still use it from time to time even now.

It's hardly surprising then why for me the Fuji X-T1 feels so right with the battery pack attached. The other day I put them side by side with the Motor Drive attached to the Nikon and the Battery Pack attached to the Fuji, it's uncanny how much they resemble each other both in looks, size, & feel.

Outside of my professional work which is mostly on 5x4, the X-T1 is more often than not my camera of choice when I'm out and about, I love using this system. And the image quality is so good with lenses that are of superlative quality that I am using it for some of my professional work when Large & Medium format quality is not needed.

Just my opinion of how good this system is.

George.

That's very good to hear George.

And "Joy" hits the nail on the head, I can remember my first proper camera, a Praktica MTL 5, m42 lens mount and exposure metered through the lens, depth of field preview and nothing else to assist, so simple and nothing else to obsess about, just frame the shot, focus, check that the little needle was between the plus and minus and away you go.

The XT-1 for me harks back to that ethos in a small way and it's really refreshing and because of the smaller form factor (less is more) it will come with me more often and will at least give me the opportunity to be more creative.

So nostalgia and retro go hand in hand for me and although it's only been a couple of days it seems to be working, for me anyway.

Same here an Praktica sold my 1st photo with one and won 1st competition :)

Managed to have a play today and quite impressed. Sales assistant didn't know a great deal about the XT-1 so a few questions if anyone can help.

Is the aperture only controlled on the lens? Can this be done using one of the control wheels (front and rear), are these wheels programable or do they have specific functions, if so what can they be switched to?

I am quite used to changing ISO/app/ss with one hand on my 70D, anyone struggle to get to grips with th ergonomics or is it quite an easy switch?

Also tempted with a refur 56mm F1.2. Have been checking their website on daily basis

Ok.. so who snapped up the 56mm refurbs? - they were all gone by the time I spotted they'd appeared on the lists..

Mind you, they're listed at substantially more than a new lens via OSD (£799.98 vs. £689.99).

Managed to have a play today and quite impressed. Sales assistant didn't know a great deal about the XT-1 so a few questions if anyone can help.

Is the aperture only controlled on the lens? Can this be done using one of the control wheels (front and rear), are these wheels programable or do they have specific functions, if so what can they be switched to?

I am quite used to changing ISO/app/ss with one hand on my 70D, anyone struggle to get to grips with th ergonomics or is it quite an easy switch?

I've not found a way of making it control aperture, but the front dial is used to change the shutter speed in 1/3ev increments up to 2/3ev about the selected shutter speed on the dial. Clever, but weird at the same time!

Looks like an XT1 will be heading my way Tuesday. I've been looking at swapping my X100s for one but Mrs A said just buy one, so I have!
I need to sell a couple of cameras now, I can't use all of them
I will stick to the 18-55 and 55-200 for now, I can't see me getting any primes, unless a cheap 35 comes along.
Just one question, what is the body size like compared to the xe2? I find mine a little small to be comfortable.
Allan

Sweet, bit surprised you decided not to take the grip and use it when the 55-200 is mounted.
Still, you did me a favour..I bought it..

I don't like the extra bulk of grips, though I do fancy a Really right stuff L plate, without the L!

Looks like an XT1 will be heading my way Tuesday. I've been looking at swapping my X100s for one but Mrs A said just buy one, so I have!
I need to sell a couple of cameras now, I can't use all of them
I will stick to the 18-55 and 55-200 for now, I can't see me getting any primes, unless a cheap 35 comes along.
Just one question, what is the body size like compared to the xe2? I find mine a little small to be comfortable.
Allan

Hi Allan, I'm sure you'll love the X-T1, with regards to the body size compared to the X-E2 there's very little in it but it just generally feels better. I came from an X-E1 which is the same size as the X-E2 and immediately it just felt right in my largish hands.

Hope this helps.

George.

I should get mine on Wednesday... the lenses I went with are: 10-24, 35/1.4 and 56/1.2... I'll probably grab a used 55-200 or 50-230 at some point if I can get one at a good price.

Can't wait... :)

Iv just touched a xt1 and I think I'm selling a kidney cause I need one

God, I can't wait...

In further preparation... which RAW converter is everyone using for the X-T1 RAW-Files? From the samples I've seen, I really like the Velvia and Astia simulations but I'm very used to shooting RAW and post-processing in Apple Aperture (which seems to be doing fairly well with Fuji files). But maybe it's time for fresh curtains? I don't photoshop much, just the usual raw conversions, tonal corrections, retouching etc...

I can't see myself switching to shooting just JPEG for some reason... disk space is cheap...

God, I can't wait...

In further preparation... which RAW converter is everyone using for the X-T1 RAW-Files? From the samples I've seen, I really like the Velvia and Astia simulations but I'm very used to shooting RAW and post-processing in Apple Aperture (which seems to be doing fairly well with Fuji files). But maybe it's time for fresh curtains? I don't photoshop much, just the usual raw conversions, tonal corrections, retouching etc...

I can't see myself switching to shooting just JPEG for some reason... disk space is cheap...

In my mind Aperture is the best RAW converter. I simply export the RAW as a psd into Photoshop (set it up in Aperture preferences). Perform processing, retouching etc. Close the file, photoshop will ask if you want to save, say yes and it'll be saved back to Aperture complete with all layers etc.
Works a treat.
I've also converted from current Lightroom and am convinced to use Aperture.

Thanks trevor,

I'll probably stick with aperture then, despite the annoying lack of lens corrections...

Then again... Capture One Pro 7 is currently available at half price and seems to be doing a very good job with the Fuji files which sort of makes me want to jump ship.

Last edited:
X-T1 arrived today. Lovely camera, but how long will it take me to stop opening the battery door to get to the SD card?
Allan

Back