The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Very impressive, in fact I showed it to SWMBO, she said, "what does he mean his wife's washing line ? " Oops o_O

Had a play with one again today liking it even more but think I look for a cheap used one. That way keep d750. As if I sell up it more likely being a straight swap so losing too much

Whilst learning about light refraction I decided to take advantage of the rain today and shoot some raindrops on my wife's washing line. And then I happened on this one.

Technically, this was one of the most challenging shoots I've ever attempted. The line was swaying in the wind, I'm on manual everything with the Laowa 60mm and it was about to rain again so time was limited.

Comments and critique welcome.

Spider Trapped & Encapsulated Inside A Raindrop – Laowa 60mm f/2.8 Ultra Macro + Fuji X-T1
Number 1 for me. Great stuff, very creative AND well executed.
Makes me yearn for macro capability again.

Whilst learning about light refraction I decided to take advantage of the rain today and shoot some raindrops on my wife's washing line. And then I happened on this one.

Technically, this was one of the most challenging shoots I've ever attempted. The line was swaying in the wind, I'm on manual everything with the Laowa 60mm and it was about to rain again so time was limited.

Spider Trapped & Encapsulated Inside A Raindrop – Laowa 60mm f/2.8 Ultra Macro + Fuji X-T1

#1 is the sort of image I'd expect to see in a National newspaper. Get it sold and published.

How do you find the Laowa lens ? it gets mixed reviews.Going by the quality of your shots there's not much wrong with it.

How do you find the Laowa lens ? it gets mixed reviews.Going by the quality of your shots there's not much wrong with it.

Thanks Jim. It's a stunning lens and sharp as they come. At least as sharp as the 105mm AF-Ds and 60mm Gs that's I've owned in the past. Those who don't like it seem to struggle mostly with the lack of auto-aperture. Personally, I prefer it set manually so it doesn't worry me at all. It takes a lot of practice to use it handheld for live insects as at f/11-f/22 viewing is quite dark so you're having to light the subject or adjust the aperture, focus, re-adjust, which can making shooting fast quite difficult. That said, there are plenty of guys and gals in the macro forum here who produce some stunning work with it and Thomas Shahan does, too. Then consider the price of $330 USD shipped if you order from them direct and you're getting some serious glass for very little money if you can live with manual everything. If you're photographing mostly still life or specimens it's a no-brainer and a very easy lens to use. I'm very happy with mine, Jim.

So the wife called whilst I'm at work today to tell me that 'another' package has been delivered for me. I'm screwed aren't I?
Lol yep.

In astronomy, there is an unwritten rule that when your woman asks about prices, you tell her 30% of the real price... Even that never worked for me!

Lol yep.

In astronomy, there is an unwritten rule that when your woman asks about prices, you tell her 30% of the real price... Even that never worked for me!
I normally go with 50%, however my Fuji X30 arrived a week ago today and now I have my X-T10.....I think I need more than luck!

On the plus side, I have my X-T10 :nana:

Oh dear. You do have a lot to learn. It is not a legal requirement to have packages delivered to your home. Deliver to your work, parents, best friend (who's wife doesn't know yours). There is always the Amazon locker system.
Be creative.
Tell her that you are doing a straight swap with someone off the forum. Unpack the box, then re-seal it up empty and tell her you will post this tomorrow.
How long have you been married?
Are you man or mouse?

Oh dear. You do have a lot to learn. It is not a legal requirement to have packages delivered to your home. Deliver to your work, parents, best friend (who's wife doesn't know yours). There is always the Amazon locker system.
Be creative.
Tell her that you are doing a straight swap with someone off the forum. Unpack the box, then re-seal it up empty and tell her you will post this tomorrow.
Are you man or mouse?

Ha ha! Wise words, get creative

I used to get stuff posted to my work, now it's a disciplinary if you do (I know, right).

A straight swap isn't far off the truth in this case as my Nikon gear is for sale ;)

Thanks Jim. It's a stunning lens and sharp as they come. At least as sharp as the 105mm AF-Ds and 60mm Gs that's I've owned in the past. Those who don't like it seem to struggle mostly with the lack of auto-aperture. Personally, I prefer it set manually so it doesn't worry me at all. It takes a lot of practice to use it handheld for live insects as at f/11-f/22 viewing is quite dark so you're having to light the subject or adjust the aperture, focus, re-adjust, which can making shooting fast quite difficult. That said, there are plenty of guys and gals in the macro forum here who produce some stunning work with it and Thomas Shahan does, too. Then consider the price of $330 USD shipped if you order from them direct and you're getting some serious glass for very little money if you can live with manual everything. If you're photographing mostly still life or specimens it's a no-brainer and a very easy lens to use. I'm very happy with mine, Jim.
I've just ordered a set of extension tubes of Ebay to dip my toes in the macro world before I spend more on glass. I'm not sure how ext tubes will perform but at least it'll give a taste of what to expect. I'm trying to rein in my GAS and you go posting photos like that, come on dude be responsible :)

Last edited:
I used to get stuff posted to my work, now it's a disciplinary if you do (I know, right).

A straight swap isn't far off the truth in this case as my Nikon gear is for sale ;)

Is the disciplinary from work or your wife

Cool capture and good detail considering the conditions you described.

Be creative.
Are you man or mouse?
You're a devious twisted man :rolleyes: You do realise if one of the SWMBO's stumble across this forum you will be probably hung, drawn and quartered ? My strategy is man maths, I sell something, I buy something that's too cheap to be true, and I'm actually saving money, the biggest break I got this year was the fact that, to the uninitiated the X pro 2 looks like the X pro 1, I got it delivered to my local Calumet store and nipped out on my lunch break to collect it ! I'm hoping the XT 2 looks like the XT1 :whistle:

You're a devious twisted man :rolleyes: You do realise if one of the SWMBO's stumble across this forum you will be probably hung, drawn and quartered ? My strategy is man maths, I sell something, I buy something that's too cheap to be true, and I'm actually saving money, the biggest break I got this year was the fact that, to the uninitiated the X pro 2 looks like the X pro 1, I got it delivered to my local Calumet store and nipped out on my lunch break to collect it ! I'm hoping the XT 2 looks like the XT1 :whistle:
I need to find an alternative method of delivery, clearly.

I'm hoping the X-T2 looks like a Kodak Instamatic - and is sold in charity shops.

Haven't sold images in this country, Trevor. Only came back in 2006 after 20 years away. Not sure I'd know who to approach?

Local galleries, camera shops can advertise on your behalf, pubs, a website, stock sites etc.

Local galleries, camera shops can advertise on your behalf, pubs, a website, stock sites etc.

Probably wouldn't enter the realms of national press, though? I've been asked by a local church to produce 10 canvas prints that they'll use as decor in a new coffee shop. Would certainly be helpful it an image had been published at national level, though. Have to say, I'm not overly bothered either way as I don't plan to profit from these and any money would be given to charity but if I could raise the donation a tad then that would be cool.

What the main difference between xt 10 and xt 1 apart from size. They both have same sensor

What the main difference between xt 10 and xt 1 apart from size. They both have same sensor

You MUST have read this already on this thread, as I can't believe you've not read it end to end!!!! :D

Physical Size, EVF Size (X-T1 light years ahead), Weather Sealing, ISO on a dial and a few other bits and pieces!!!

But yes they share the same sensor and with the same Glass the IQ WILL be the same

Back