The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Like the idea, but the front of the main stone looks soft on my monitor. Only the top bit looks sharp.
Of course, that may be what you wnated to achieve!

Like the idea, but the front of the main stone looks soft on my monitor. Only the top bit looks sharp.
Of course, that may be what you wnated to achieve!

That's the problem with f1.4! I should have made the focus point smaller and adjusted it properly, rather than "focus & recompose"..... Good excuse to go back to the seaside to do it again :)

I'm new to this film simulation lark as well...

That's the problem with f1.4! I should have made the focus point smaller and adjusted it properly, rather than "focus & recompose"..... Good excuse to go back to the seaside to do it again :)

I'm new to this film simulation lark as well...

Yeah, DOF will be very shallow there. Like the idea, though and another trip to the beach is always good!

There's a road under there, and 30 minutes earlier I drove across it and the water was nowhere to be seen. Then I was stuck with the Irish Sea lapping round my wheels for 3 hours.
All good fun.

The Causeway
by mickledore on Talk Photography

As the old saying goes "Time and Tide waits for no man." :)

Has anyone else found that their Fuji is making them lazy? I shoot in JPG now so do very little in the way of editing my shots unless I really want to.

This coupled with the Fuji's (X30 and X-T10) ability to transfer files to my phone via WiFi which I use for Snapseed (minor edits), Flickr and this very forum means I very rarely go onto my laptop and can't remember the last time I transferred and entire memory card's worth of photos or backed anything up.

Maybe I need a change in work flow to account for this :thinking:

So, of all the Helios lenses, is there any particular one I should look out for to put in my X-T1?

Has anyone else found that their Fuji is making them lazy? I shoot in JPG now so do very little in the way of editing my shots unless I really want to.

No. Just the opposite! On days when there is crap light like yesterday I've started doing 9 shot brackets - because I can - then I have to process these. I usually use the Nik HDR plug in which gives fairly natural results but is just more work.

So, of all the Helios lenses, is there any particular one I should look out for to put in my X-T1?
None in particular, though the 44m has an Auto/Manual switch so can be stopped down without modification (which I believe all the rest would need).

This coupled with the Fuji's (X30 and X-T10) ability to transfer files to my phone via WiFi which I use for Snapseed (minor edits), Flickr and this very forum means I very rarely go onto my laptop and can't remember the last time I transferred and entire memory card's worth of photos or backed anything up.

Me too, I only use jpeg, but I still use Lightroom as I like to catalogue my photos (geek!). It's good to be lazy [emoji3]

I always shoot RAW no matter what - i think its just a mindset thing for me.
If i want to edit and post on the fly i convert the RAW in camera then send to snapdeed via wifi.

The above works best for me.

Same here. If only because I don't have to get the WB right in camera and there's more dynamic range. I was shooting RAW+JPEG but gave it up after a few months because I just wasn't doing anything with the JPGs.

One from my holidays. A little bit of HDR just to get some texture back in the rocks, and I had to do a bit of work to reduce the lens flare, which was much more of a problem than I noticed at the time. Still, it's a great spot. And a good one for meeting fellow togs!

Just another Godrevy sunset by David Hallett, on Flickr

Not quite "Just another Godrevy sunset." Dave. Not only does the low angle makes it different to the usual photos which concentrate on the island and lighthouse, you have also caught the look of the beautiful Cornish evening light really well.

Last edited:
If i want to edit and post on the fly i convert the RAW in camera then send to snapdeed via wifi.

The above works best for me.
That's not a bad idea. Didn't know you could convert in camera to JPG and distribute selected shots only?

I assume the output would be identical to shooting JPG SOOC?

That's not a bad idea. Didn't know you could convert in camera to JPG and distribute selected shots only?

I assume the output would be identical to shooting JPG SOOC?

Page 70 in the handbook.
Hit the Menu button during playback and work it through from there.

1606_KingsX_030 by Ian, on Flickr

King's Cross, yesterday. XT1 and Samyang 12mm

Mmmm. Looks darker via Flickr - imagine half a stop brighter!

That's a nice shot Ian, well seen, great comp', and very nice presentation.(y)

George.

:plus1: I've never even done a test shot using jpeg.(y)

"To me shooting in jpeg would be a bit like driving a Ferrari and towing a trailer with it".:D

George.

"To me shooting in jpeg would be a bit like driving a Ferrari and towing a trailer with it"
:agree:
The results may be quite good but you give away so much flexibility in processing potential.
And yes, I have a trailer!

And a F,F,F.....iesta!

Last edited:
Not quite "Just another Godrevy sunset." Dave. Not only does the low angle makes it different to the usual photos which concentrate on the island and lighthouse, you have also caught the look of the beautiful Cornish evening light really well.
Aw thank you! It was only my second time there (the first time was two nights earlier), so I'm pleased if anyone likes the results.

Hi. I'm considering the purchase of an XT1 but currently my only Fuji experience has been X10/X30. Recently I attempted to use a circular polariser on the X30 but failed to see any effect due to (I'm guessing here) the electronic viewfinder. Am I going to experience the same difficulty with the XT1?

Hi. I'm considering the purchase of an XT1 but currently my only Fuji experience has been X10/X30. Recently I attempted to use a circular polariser on the X30 but failed to see any effect due to (I'm guessing here) the electronic viewfinder. Am I going to experience the same difficulty with the XT1?
Yep, I did the same (came from x30 to x-t10).
You do see a difference, it just isn't as obvious, because the evf shows a boosted exposure. You'll still see reflections disappear.
Maybe changing metering (photometry) mode would help. I imagine spot metering would work so long as you arent pointing at something that changes with the filter.
Either that, or just underexpose a notch or two when using it.

You do see a difference, it just isn't as obvious, because the evf shows a boosted exposure. You'll still see reflections disappear.
Maybe changing metering (photometry) mode would help. I imagine spot metering would work so long as you arent pointing at something that changes with the filter.
Interesting. I too made that switch (still have the X30) and am wondering about filters to use on either of them in the shape of ND grads and a CPL.

Is there little point in the CPL in terms of boosting the vibrance if colours or is it just that the difference isn't as noticeable on the EVF? :thinking:

It does everything it normally would. The increased vibrance is actually reflections being cut out and light filtered out - thus making the photo darker - the camera compensates by boosting the exposure.

I imagine in manual, it'd be fine, just none of us use "M" much anymore... ;)

I imagine in manual, it'd be fine, just none of us use "M" much anymore... ;)

LOL! Out of my 7 lenses, only one will AF with my X-T1, the rest are manual everything. I'm afraid my auto mode and AF may seize up through lack of use. Might try a drop of WD40 for safety's sake. :D

Hi, Thanks for coming back to me. Tried the X30 in Manual with CPL and I can now see a difference in the view finder when the filter is rotated. I'll assume the XT1 will perform the same.

Cheers

Hi, Thanks for coming back to me. Tried the X30 in Manual with CPL and I can now see a difference in the view finder when the filter is rotated. I'll assume the XT1 will perform the same.

Cheers
Which filter you using out of interest?

Back