The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Back to Rockwell, he quotes "The Fuji X100T is functionally about the same as the X-T2, but smaller and lighter with a better shutter, a dual optical/electronic finder and fantastic fixed 23mm f/2 ASPH (35mm equiv.) lens."

Back to Rockwell, he quotes "The Fuji X100T is functionally about the same as the X-T2, but smaller and lighter with a better shutter, a dual optical/electronic finder and fantastic fixed 23mm f/2 ASPH (35mm equiv.) lens."

I think of Ken Rockwell as a bit like reading the Daily Mail, it's marginally better than not reading the news/camera sites at all but you're getting a heck of a lot of opinion dressed up as facts and a lot of content that's aiming at collecting clicks rather than providing factually correct/useful content to its readers.

I think of Ken Rockwell as a bit like reading the Daily Mail, it's marginally better than not reading the news/camera sites at all but you're getting a heck of a lot of opinion dressed up as facts and a lot of content that's aiming at collecting clicks rather than providing factually correct/useful content to its readers.

All but one of the newspapers are like that. I now have my home page set to Reuters which gives me the actual news before the newspapers have put their own political slant on it. The exception to the rule is the Daily Sport, this completely ignores any news and appears to exist to provide the reader with an education in the huge number of variations of size and appearance, both natural and man made, of female breasts

Last edited:
All but one of the newspapers are like that. I now have my home page set to Reuters which gives me the actual news before the newspapers have put their own political slant on it. The exception to the rule is the Daily Sport, this completely ignores any news and appears to exist to provide the reader with an education in the huge number of variations of size and appearance, both natural and man made, of female breasts

That made me laugh, I'd forgotten about the Daily Spurt, that's a cracking newspaper [emoji3]

Well I'm preparing for an XT2 [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3], if anyone wants the genuine Fuji grip for the XT1 then let me know and I'll put it in classifieds. It's the MHG-XT, gives a more meaty grip up front and acts as an Arca Swiss plate.

Roll on Thursday...

According to Ffordes, who I've ordered my T2 from, they are only expecting two or three cameras in the first batch, and I am no.5! But I probably wouldn't have got it before we go away on Saturday, so I shall have to be satisfied with delivery late September.

That made me laugh, I'd forgotten about the Daily Spurt, that's a cracking newspaper [emoji3]

Well I'm preparing for an XT2 [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3], if anyone wants the genuine Fuji grip for the XT1 then let me know and I'll put it in classifieds. It's the MHG-XT, gives a more meaty grip up front and acts as an Arca Swiss plate.

Roll on Thursday...

I be interested Gregg

One of the finest, factual TP posts ever written. Genuine roflcopter material :D

Inspired by @macvisual 's flower photo in the XPro1 thread, I thought I would take a first ever stab at a flower photo of my own - hoping the X-T10 would make up for the lack of knowledge or talent in the subject area!

Well, here is the result - comments/crit welcome (just in case I decide to do more of this stuff!)

Flowers 2 by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Last edited:
Inspired by @macvisual 's flower photo in the XPro1 thread, I thought I would take a first ever stab at a flower photo of my own - hoping the X-T10 would make up for the lack of knowledge or talent in the subject area!

Well, here is the result - comments/crit welcome (just in case I decide to do more of this stuff!)

Flowers 2 by Ash Smith, on Flickr
Lovely bokeh. Flower photography doesn't really do it for me, but I still find myself doing it sometimes!

Very curious if you shoot in RAW what software are you sing a the converter?

Not sure if you are asking me specifically or more globally, but everything i've posted in this thread has been through lightroom in some capacity (all the car shots were from the jpegs as the classic chrome simulation was just spot on for the look I wanted, so it minimised the post work. The flower was a raw file, which also went through LR.

This thread is becoming my heaven as there is talk of the X-T2 and Guitars. I have 15 of those but no X series camera yet! waiting for some good reviews from the usual characters before I decide between that and the Sony A6300. On paper they are quite even but the Sony may still have the edge for me as I do also wanna get one of their full frame A series cameras down the line and buying the FF lenses to use on both cameras seems sensible!

Not sure if you are asking me specifically or more globally, but everything i've posted in this thread has been through lightroom in some capacity (all the car shots were from the jpegs as the classic chrome simulation was just spot on for the look I wanted, so it minimised the post work. The flower was a raw file, which also went through LR.

Both really, thanks for the reply. Just trying to et to grips with processing the Fuji files.

I know I have read some criticism of the way LR handles fuji raw files around sharpening, especially for very busy areas like tress and leaves etc - I also read somewhere that a way to counter that is to push the detail slider up to the high end when sharpening - apparently fuji raw fils react better to higher numbers than nikon/canon which work better with the lower end of the detail spectrum (can't remember where I read this though)

I know I have read some criticism of the way LR handles fuji raw files around sharpening, especially for very busy areas like tress and leaves etc - I also read somewhere that a way to counter that is to push the detail slider up to the high end when sharpening - apparently fuji raw fils react better to higher numbers than nikon/canon which work better with the lower end of the detail spectrum (can't remember where I read this though)

Ive read that somewhere as well, probably read to much about processing the files :)

I use Lightroom. For sharpening I mask according to the scene, push the detail up to 100 and amount as needed but between 30 and 38. Never seen any of those foluage issues.

Search for Peter Bridgewood Fuji RAW, it's his technique that pushes the detail slider.

LR has improved since it's earliest Fuji RAW conversions, personally I do gave an issue with it, everything I've done has been processed wth it (with the liberal use of NIK plug ins)

Here you go: Link

IIRC the detail slider has to be 100, not just high in order to get the effect, since at 100 it uses a completely different method than at 99.
Either way, I like what you're doing with the x-t10 so far, those car shots were awesome!

fujidetail.JPG

There is a marked difference between Fuji JPG detail/sharpening and LRs. This is Detail at 100, amount 30 masking 68 vs NR and Sharpness at 0 in camera.

This thread is becoming my heaven as there is talk of the X-T2 and Guitars. I have 15 of those but no X series camera yet! waiting for some good reviews from the usual characters before I decide between that and the Sony A6300. On paper they are quite even but the Sony may still have the edge for me as I do also wanna get one of their full frame A series cameras down the line and buying the FF lenses to use on both cameras seems sensible!

When I move in a few weeks I'll be adding some guitar photos taken with the XT 2! :D

When I move in a few weeks I'll be adding some guitar photos taken with the XT 2! :D

Ahh, the best of both worlds :D I'm dead chuffed as I picked up a nice tobacco sunburst Trev Wilkinson designed Vintage V100 Les Paul copy with a hardcase and stand for just over £100. Plays really nicely. Just need to combine my Yongnuo flash stuff and stands with the X-T1 now :)

I picked up this last week after playing a mates one - best £300 instrument I've ever played. It's a Sterling by Music Man Sub Series, it's active and sounds (and plays) awesome!

14141501_10209297765337746_3159396038257364275_n.jpg

Lovely set, my guitars aren't that pretty :(

Now what does seem pretty are the shots from the 90mm f2, a lens not previously on my radar until now and given that my all time favourite lens was the Canon 135L it really caught my eye.

Any of you lot used one, I just read a couple of reviews and they all raved, but the more I look at the Fuji lenses the more raving I read, surely they must have made at least one actual rubbish lens!

This just means I NEED an X-T2, some good lighting and a crap ton of black cloth! I will swing that one with the Mrs by telling her it will make her look even more beautiful than normal!

No need for black cloth and cheap lighting does the job. My guitar shot above was taken on the coffee table in a cluttered livingroom, which doesn't show if you have the lighting set up effectively.

Lovely set, my guitars aren't that pretty :(

Now what does seem pretty are the shots from the 90mm f2, a lens not previously on my radar until now and given that my all time favourite lens was the Canon 135L it really caught my eye.

Any of you lot used one, I just read a couple of reviews and they all raved, but the more I look at the Fuji lenses the more raving I read, surely they must have made at least one actual rubbish lens!

I love the 90mm. It's not a lens I use a whole lot but haven't had any thoughts of parting with it. If you got a lot of use from the Canon 135 then it should suit you perfectly.

Again a couple of regurgitated shots with the 90mm on the X-T1.

XT1A2319 by barrysprout, on Flickr

XF-90 Dunmore by barrysprout, on Flickr

Back