The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi all, just sold my EM1 and was thinking of gooing full frame with a Nikon D600, then i started looking at the fuji thread! One thing that concerns me is i mainly take indoor portraits of my kids and want great high iso performace. Is it correct that the xt1 raw iso tops out at 6400? Also i read bits and bobs that fuji fudge their iso ratings? I was thinking of an XT1.

Hi all, just sold my EM1 and was thinking of gooing full frame with a Nikon D600, then i started looking at the fuji thread! One thing that concerns me is i mainly take indoor portraits of my kids and want great high iso performace. Is it correct that the xt1 raw iso tops out at 6400? Also i read bits and bobs that fuji fudge their iso ratings? I was thinking of an XT1.

Personally I don't like to go above ISO 3200 with the x-t1 which is probably equivalent to the same iso as you'd see on an Olympus (I believe Fuji and Olympus use the same iso standard), but more like ISO 2000 on a Nikon.

Two options really - buy a cheap Yongnuo (manual) flash or buy some awesome fast XF glass :) The D600 will be a stop and a but better, I reckon. The noise is nice on Fuji, but details are smoothed out at higher iso settings (the x-t2 and x-pro 2 look much better in this regard).

Last edited:

Very different cameras the D600 and X-T1

Even as an X-T1 owner I'd say for moving kids indoors a FF DSLR will be loads better if you can handle the size.

I have the XT1 and D750 and the difference in noise handling is marked. I'm 'happy' to use the D750 at 12800 ISO and when I got the XT1 I initially set the highest ISO to 6400 but have since set it to 3200 and even then it's only just acceptable IMO. I don't think you buy a Fuji for high ISO though, you buy it for the lovely rendering.

Went for a short walk around Queens Park yesterday with the xt2. I was walking down the street and someone started yelling at me. Turned around and some guy was running down the street after me. He finally caught me up at which point he said. "I saw you out my window, is that a xt2? How is it?". So funny. No one ever ran out their house and chased me down to ask about my Nikon.

Nice shots mate. What was the AF like on moving birds and what was the keeper rate?

Although (and I don't see many 100-400 images) the foreground and background in picture 1 don't look great, IMO. Not sure if it's the TC or just how the lens itself renders.

Nice shots mate. What was the AF like on moving birds and what was the keeper rate?

Although (and I don't see many 100-400 images) the foreground and background in picture 1 don't look great, IMO. Not sure if it's the TC or just how the lens itself renders.

Hi. The AF is a massive improvement over the X-T1... It certainly has no problem tracking moving subjects now. It's not perfect but some of that will be down to my sloppy technique. :)

The keeper rate is quite high which coupled with the fast burst rate makes choosing which images to use a bit of a long-winded process! ;) My PC died yesterday and I usually edit everything on the 27in screen but I'm limited to using my 13in MacBook Pro for editing at the moment which could be why that first shot isn't up to standard. My eyes aren't what they used to be! :)

Cheers,
Si

I finally got to play with the 100-400mm and 1.4x converter yesterday in some decent light. The X-T2 performed admirably again and I was pleasantly surprised to see very little degradation in image quality from the converter. :)

"Cracking" set of images Si, nice comp', some fine detail, and the light in #3 & #5 is right on the money.(y)

George.

I'm glad it wasn't just me - something odd there. The others are cracking shots though. I love the thought of the 100-400 but know that, realistically, I'd rarely use it. I had the Sigma 100-300 f4 when I was with Pentax and it was a sad day when I finally sold it, but truth be told it rarely got an outing. Lovely piece of glass to use and I reckon the Fuji would be similar!

Having already been a proud owner of an X-T10 for a few months now I was so impressed with it that I decided to commit myself to the dark side completely and sell all my Nikon equipment and purchase an X-T2. My missus insisted on me selling her Nikon D3300 as well and pinching my X-T10 as she fell in love with it. I ordered a T2 last Wednesday from Panomoz. It was at Newcastle for 8:30am Saturday and delivered first thing this morning. 3 year warranty and a good price. Cannot complain at that. Just waiting for the battery to charge up and start using it. I bought myself an XF 18-135mm WR zoom as a walkabout lens as the missus grabbed the XF18-55. I look forward to trying it all out shortly :)

Trev, I have the 18-55 and the 18-135. Barely used the 18-55 since I got the 18-135 despite it's extra speed. IQ is pretty much identical and AF speed is a lot faster than my MFing ever was (as well as more accurate!)

Trev, I have the 18-55 and the 18-135. Barely used the 18-55 since I got the 18-135 despite it's extra speed. IQ is pretty much identical and AF speed is a lot faster than my MFing ever was (as well as more accurate!)

Good to know. Thanks. I think the 18-135mm will be better for me too.

You can always blag the 18-55 off the wife if you need it! ;)

Hi am looking for some help with new Fuji XT2

Have noticed the following

In the view finder I can see what looks like straight black lines ( is this normal )

View finder has a shimmering effect

As camera try's to focus I can here a chatter sound

Some pictures are out of focus

Not sure what to do as I have only had camera for 3 days

Also at times there's a rapid slight flash on the LCD or in the view finder when pressing the shutter button before taking a photo. Anyone else having experienced this issues?

Thanks Richard

The straight, black lines could be a composition aid - do they happen to divide the scene into 9 areas?
Shimmering effect could be focus peaking if in MF.
Is the chattering in AF-C mode? Might it be the OIS whirring?
If the camera's in MF mode, might it be that you're expecting it to be in AF?
If the above is off target, maybe take it back to the retailer and ask them.

Thanks for the quick reply OIS is of
camera is in autofocus mode and the lines are not from the overlay grids

Chatter noises are the lens not the camera.

What lens is it? Older lenses like the 23, 35, 56 are quite noisy!

Take it back to the retailer.

So I read somewhere that fuji OIS doesn't do panning and it's best to turn it off while doing so...
I can't find much info, other than the fact that there are 2 modes - "always on" and "shooting only". However each mode also has a "+motion" option, anyone know what that's about?
Mine is always set to "always on +motion" since I don't trust the "shooting only" option to be able to assess and engage quick enough. I don't do much panning, but when I have done i've had little success... Maybe i'm just crap at it...

I finally got to play with the 100-400mm and 1.4x converter yesterday in some decent light. The X-T2 performed admirably again and I was pleasantly surprised to see very little degradation in image quality from the converter. :)

Great set of captures. Where is this place please?

A Komodo Dragon from Chester Zoo in the dark of the Islands in Danger exhibit. Taken with the 100-400 on an X-T1. Autofocus was an issue but it wasn't moving very fast!

I really like this lens but really want an X-T2 to try it with :)

Komodo Dragon by Matt, on Flickr
That's a great, well-exposed shot.

So I read somewhere that fuji OIS doesn't do panning and it's best to turn it off while doing so...
I can't find much info, other than the fact that there are 2 modes - "always on" and "shooting only". However each mode also has a "+motion" option, anyone know what that's about?
Mine is always set to "always on +motion" since I don't trust the "shooting only" option to be able to assess and engage quick enough. I don't do much panning, but when I have done i've had little success... Maybe i'm just crap at it...

I've not done much panning but I thought the general rule was to make sure ois, vr etc was turned off. I could be wrong though!

I've not done much panning but I thought the general rule was to make sure ois, vr etc was turned off. I could be wrong though!
Just got back from a week in Rome. Did some panning on the big stuff with the 18.55 and never thought of switching OIS off. Worked perfectly apart from all the grockles in shot!

Just got back from a week in Rome. Did some panning on the big stuff with the 18.55 and never thought of switching OIS off. Worked perfectly apart from all the grockles in shot!

Obviously I'm wrong then and probably getting mixed up with something else

Heads up. If you purchased the 50-140 1.4x teleconvertor package during the last cash back offer you can still claim cash back on the lens. I think there was some doubt about this on the forum.
Balls. I specifically asked about this cashback for the 50-140+TC bundle in Park Cameras and did not buy it as a result of the answer I was given (ie. not eligible!)

Back