The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Okay wise ones, anyone know anywhere with XT2 stock in the UK?

Also is it worth importing, usually theres a decent discount but with the state of the pound its like £50 which seems for of pointless if Fuji are region aware like other brands.

Edit: NM, sorted :D

Last edited:
Okay wise ones, anyone know anywhere with XT2 stock in the UK?

Also is it worth importing, usually theres a decent discount but with the state of the pound its like £50 which seems for of pointless if Fuji are region aware like other brands.

A few on here including myself have ordered from Panamoz, no problems whatsoever. Mine was shipped on the Monday and delivered on the Wednesday so if you ordered today you would probably have it by Friday.

http://panamoz.com/index.php/digita...irrorless-digital-camera-body-only-black.html

My 18-135mm lens seems to have a speck of dust inside. Assume I'll need to get it professionally cleaned. Anyone any idea how much that is likely to cost? And where is best - send it to Fuji?

Thanks

My 18-135mm lens seems to have a speck of dust inside. Assume I'll need to get it professionally cleaned. Anyone any idea how much that is likely to cost? And where is best - send it to Fuji?

Thanks
If you go on to the Fuji site there is a repairs section. Enter the details of your lens and they will give you a fixed price for the repair. You then get a full 12 months warranty on the whole lens when the work is done.

If you go on to the Fuji site there is a repairs section. Enter the details of your lens and they will give you a fixed price for the repair. You then get a full 12 months warranty on the whole lens when the work is done.

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Cheers

Firstly, well done for doing such a caring and rewarding project :)

It seems that you will be capturing these images in various environments, as opposed to being in a studio with lighting? In that case, I would want to have the kids shown in their surroundings.

I would consider the 14 f2.8. It's a good size and weight to use for more action shots and optically fantastic. It's great for shots at unusual angles (where you can take advantage of the X-T2's tilting screen) and I've seen the X-Photographer Dan Bailey use this lens for many of his published articles on extreme sports.

If you did want more close up pics then the 35 f1.4 is excellent and I would imagine it should focus fairly quickly on the X-T2. It also gives lovely images at f1.4.

The 18-55 is one of my favourite lenses and you could use this for most situations. Don't think that just because it's the kit lens or much cheaper than the 16-55, that it's not that good. It's a very good lens. All these 3 lenses can be had for relatively good prices on the used market (check the sales forum) and you wouldn't lose a lot if you decided to sell them.

TBH you cannot really go wrong with any Fuji lenes you buy - all of them from the 23, 35, 56...even the 60 macro is superb for portraits.

Thank you for your kind words :)

I will be both indoors and out, in the families homes and gardens, maybe out on beaches, countryside, wherever the kids will relax and I can get them at their best really. I have an old barn next to my house I'm going to convert into a purpose built studio with sensory lighting (as well as studio of course) so I can have families come to me, then we can also go out and about around the farm and in my garden and I'll know where I can get the pictures. So yes in their homes I will likely be restricted for space at times and I realise the 90mm wouldn't be the best lens.

So the 16-55 sounds the better option of that and the 18-55, I'll have to look at the prices - it sounds more expensive! However I guess it will be quite a good all rounder for what I need, so if it's a really lens and I can capture what I need with it I'm better off spending the money on something I'll make better use of.

Would you start with the 18-55 because it's cheaper? Or can you think of other reasons it would be the better choice - I don't think the weight will be too much of an issue.

The 56 sounds right. Hadn't really considered the 55-200, I'll have a look thanks :)

Thanks for the kind words and helpful hints John :)

I do like the sound of the 56 and 35, and I had considered the 23mm. Maybe those 3 with a really nice zoom as above would be just perfect. I don't think I'm going to need too long a reach, I'm not interested in wildlife photography at all, and although sometimes it's fun to zoom right in it so not something I'd miss if I couldn't.

Firstly, well done for doing such a caring and rewarding project :)

It seems that you will be capturing these images in various environments, as opposed to being in a studio with lighting? In that case, I would want to have the kids shown in their surroundings.

I would consider the 14 f2.8. It's a good size and weight to use for more action shots and optically fantastic. It's great for shots at unusual angles (where you can take advantage of the X-T2's tilting screen) and I've seen the X-Photographer Dan Bailey use this lens for many of his published articles on extreme sports.

If you did want more close up pics then the 35 f1.4 is excellent and I would imagine it should focus fairly quickly on the X-T2. It also gives lovely images at f1.4.

The 18-55 is one of my favourite lenses and you could use this for most situations. Don't think that just because it's the kit lens or much cheaper than the 16-55, that it's not that good. It's a very good lens. All these 3 lenses can be had for relatively good prices on the used market (check the sales forum) and you wouldn't lose a lot if you decided to sell them.

TBH you cannot really go wrong with any Fuji lenes you buy - all of them from the 23, 35, 56...even the 60 macro is superb for portraits.

Thanks for your kind words and advice, very much appreciated.

I'm writing it all down, although the list seems pretty obvious now. The 90mm will come later although is very much on the list, and as you say the 18-55 is cheaper than the 16-55 somif it's good it's well worth getting. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the 18-55 vs 18-135? Thinking of getting one or the other, mainly for travel and video use on the XT2.

Opinions?

So, I'm getting an XT2 on Thursday but is there anything I should be getting in?

I'm getting the body, the grip and a couple of batteries.

I already have the thumb grip and shutter button thing on my XT1 which I'm presuming will transfer.

So I'm guessing eyecup, the new SD card type, anything else?

No, I meant a long eyecup, lol that'd be cost cutting on a Dell like scale [emoji38]

I didn't know they came to order, actually I've just been reading and apparently the XT2 one is pretty good.

On to another question, if you were me (mostly taking pics of my kids out and about) what would be you next lens choice?

I'm thinking either the 90mm, 56mm or a 35 f2, later I may go for a Samyang for wide shots

I didn't know they came to order, actually I've just been reading and apparently the XT2 one is pretty good.

On to another question, if you were me (mostly taking pics of my kids out and about) what would be you next lens choice?

I'm thinking either the 90mm, 56mm or a 35 f2, later I may go for a Samyang for wide shots
No idea. Don't do people shots and run like stink away from kids;)
There was a discussion on this earlier today. Just trawl back to this morning and follow that discussion.

I hope @chrism_scotland is being nice to you....

18-55 - sharper - more compact
18-135 - better OIS, Weather Resistant
I've been considering the 18-135 to replace the 18-55 for travel and more versatility but is the 18-135mm much softer or just a teeny bit when pixel peeping? I can't find any actual direct photographic comparisons to see for myself.

Last bit I post on the painterly/watercolour effect I've been seeing. I think I've cracked it. NR and sharpening settings in camera effect the RAW as well as the JPEG and I've found that having both NR and sharp set to -2 makes things much better. Admittedly I've only tested on a pretty dank rainy day and it will be interesting to see what it's like it bright sunny high contrast scenarios, but for the moment I'm now happy with the output :)

I've been considering the 18-135 to replace the 18-55 for travel and more versatility but is the 18-135mm much softer or just a teeny bit when pixel peeping? I can't find any actual direct photographic comparisons to see for myself.

There's not much in it, but of course now you know you will notice it at every opportunity :)

It is quite a bit bigger, but if that doesn't bother you then the extra range is good. I have both, but tend to use the 18-135 only for IR work where it is excellent as it has no hotspots, but on the whole I'm a wide angle shooter anyway so am very happy with the 18-55 for walkabout.

Last bit I post on the painterly/watercolour effect I've been seeing. I think I've cracked it. NR and sharpening settings in camera effect the RAW as well as the JPEG and I've found that having both NR and sharp set to -2 makes things much better. Admittedly I've only tested on a pretty dank rainy day and it will be interesting to see what it's like it bright sunny high contrast scenarios, but for the moment I'm now happy with the output :)

Didn't think the settings affected the RAW.... must be a Fuji thing!

There's not much in it, but of course now you know you will notice it at every opportunity :)

It is quite a bit bigger, but if that doesn't bother you then the extra range is good. I have both, but tend to use the 18-135 only for IR work where it is excellent as it has no hotspots, but on the whole I'm a wide angle shooter anyway so am very happy with the 18-55 for walkabout.
I have tried the 18-135mm in store and the size/weight is not an issue as it's still much lighter and smaller than the lenses I usually use ;)

The 18-55 is nice, renders nicely and pretty sharp. Lovely and light too. Just that when away I really needed more reach, and did get caught out by the rain so think the 18-135 would be a better choice for travel.

Didn't think the settings affected the RAW.... must be a Fuji thing!
Definitely an odd one I must admit, but the tests I did showed that sharpening effected RAW. Couldn't really test NR as was shooting at 200 but have read in a couple of places that Fuji add NR to RAW files. Apparently Fuji RAWs are more processed than other brands.

Back