The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Lonely Tree

Lonely Tree by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Took the swmbo for a weekend in the Lake District for her birthday and managed to pop down to the shores of Ullswater on our first morning for sunrise for a very quick visit.
Not a breath of wind and I this peace of sure to myself. Has an added bonus I was lucky enough to get some lovely light,

Fuji XT-2 and Fuji 16-55

Very nice Graham! Particularly like the way you've kept the HDR natural looking.

This picture has shown me how much I have to learn about photography. I mean, intellectually I know that when the sky is cloudy and the light looks bad, it's still worth going out. But nonetheless, on this walk (back on Sunday) I was thinking to myself "Well, I probably didn't get anything worthwhile, but I love Christchurch Meadow and I've still had a really nice walk". I must be bananas. OK, I had to combine exposures a bit (I was already stitching two to get the composition I wanted), but it wasn't that huge a challenge, and it's as nice a picture of this spot as I've ever taken. Moral: your eye sees things one way, the X-Trans sensor another! :D

Christchurch Meadow in autumn
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Nice! I have an old Pentax-M 135mm I find gives pretty sharp results. Generally a bit long for me on APS-C though.
I have the SMC 50 1.7 Pentax and it's not a bad lens. I also purchased a Kiron 80-200 f4 macro. It's built like a tank and weighs a tonne!!!

I have the SMC 50 1.7 Pentax and it's not a bad lens. I also purchased a Kiron 80-200 f4 macro. It's built like a tank and weighs a tonne!!!
I have that 50mm too (the K version) and I've taken some great stitched pictures with it in the past. I think it's lovely. My current plan is to put it on a Lens Turbo II and use it for street photography at night as a super-fast 35mm equivalent. Cheaper than buying the Fuji version!

Edit: beg pardon, mine is the 1.4. Not quite the same lens. But it'll be even faster!

Last edited:
Just wondering for a lightroom user if I were to look at another processing app - for preference a non-destructive one what would be your choice - Irident aside (as I don't have a MAC and have yet to find the Windows beta)

Just wondering for a lightroom user if I were to look at another processing app - for preference a non-destructive one what would be your choice - Irident aside (as I don't have a MAC and have yet to find the Windows beta)
I've had a play with the trial of Capture One. It seemed very capable, just a bit overpriced for what I would use for (I just do a basic process in LR, any heavy lifting is done in Photoshop). Worth a look though.

Thanks I will, I'd sort of got it to that or SilkyPix but hadn't done the "big" research yet

This picture has shown me how much I have to learn about photography. I mean, intellectually I know that when the sky is cloudy and the light looks bad, it's still worth going out. But nonetheless, on this walk (back on Sunday) I was thinking to myself "Well, I probably didn't get anything worthwhile, but I love Christchurch Meadow and I've still had a really nice walk". I must be bananas. OK, I had to combine exposures a bit (I was already stitching two to get the composition I wanted), but it wasn't that huge a challenge, and it's as nice a picture of this spot as I've ever taken. Moral: your eye sees things one way, the X-Trans sensor another! :D

Christchurch Meadow in autumn
by David Hallett, on Flickr
Very nice Dave........shot with classic chrome ?

I have that 50mm too (the K version) and I've taken some great stitched pictures with it in the past. I think it's lovely. My current plan is to put it on a Lens Turbo II and use it for street photography at night as a super-fast 35mm equivalent. Cheaper than buying the Fuji version!

Edit: beg pardon, mine is the 1.4. Not quite the same lens. But it'll be even faster!

Be careful if you buy a lens turbo ii, the first one I had damaged the inside of my camera (only cosmetically but it created a circular mark inside the body). Replacement arrived with a badly scratched rear element. Costing quite a bit to keep sending them back to China :(

Good evening everyone I've just picked up my Xt2, does anyone have any settings tips or anything. I'm new to Fuji
Easiest thing is just go through all the menus and see what does what, it's what I do for every camera TBH. The X-T1 was pretty easy to get used to TBH, a lot less options than the D750 which I know you've just chopped in for the Fooj. That being said, the X-T2 has a few more AF options and apparently it takes a while to work out what works best. Shouldn't be an issue for you though as I know you're an AF-S only shooter ;)

After that just decide what functions you want in which button. You'll have more choice than me as I've had to assign every 'd-pad' button to direct AF assignment but you have the little bipolar for that ;)

Very nice Dave........shot with classic chrome ?
Thanks! But no, from RAW I always go with either Pro Neg Std or Adobe Std, depending on whether I want more contrast, or need the shadows a bit more open, etc.. Colour stuff after setting the white balance is mostly done with Photoshop, either Colour Efex Pro or occasionally Topaz Adjust (not so much these days, it's a bit unsubtle, but I might get an interesting look and then blend that layer back in).

Be careful if you buy a lens turbo ii, the first one I had damaged the inside of my camera (only cosmetically but it created a circular mark inside the body). Replacement arrived with a badly scratched rear element. Costing quite a bit to keep sending them back to China :(
Ooh. I hadn't heard that with Fuji, only with the weird Sony mount. Which body were you using it with?

Thanks I will, I'd sort of got it to that or SilkyPix but hadn't done the "big" research yet
TBH John I tried a lot of the suggestions, capture one, irident, photo ninja, silkypix but they all felt second rate and clunky compared to LR. TBF Capture one did actually feel like a pretty decent bit of software but I didn't get on with it. Irident felt like going back to 15 year old software. Fortunately I have aperture (which I forgot about until after trialling all those above) and so use that for the files LR doesn't like. Sorry, doesn't help you much but I just don't think there's much to rival LR. Capture one has a free 30 day trial so maybe give that a go.

Ooh. I hadn't heard that with Fuji, only with the weird Sony mount. Which body were you using it with?

X-T1 and X-E2. Scraped both, only realised it was the adapter that caused it when it damaged the X-E2! The second one fits fine but the scratches on the rear show up at apertures smaller than f/5.6. Bit of a faff but the seller has agreed to replace it again (this is the EF mount version from the seller on Amazon).

X-T1 and X-E2. Scraped both, only realised it was the adapter that caused it when it damaged the X-E2! The second one fits fine but the scratches on the rear show up at apertures smaller than f/5.6. Bit of a faff but the seller has agreed to replace it again (this is the EF mount version from the seller on Amazon).
Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Clearly quality control is not what it might be, but that's not a huge surprise given how much cheaper it is than the Speedbooster. Makes me think it may be worth buying through Amazon for easier returns.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Clearly quality control is not what it might be, but that's not a huge surprise given how much cheaper it is than the Speedbooster. Makes me think it may be worth buying through Amazon for easier returns.

Maybe...but it's still a third party seller (they don't sell them directly). It's a risk whoever you buy a product from, if it's not Amazon direct, I guess.

Damien lovegrove was due to post a video on Fuji love showing his workflow on LR. Anyone seen it yet?

...and Capture One uninstalled.

I zoomed into an image, looked good, left clicked, it muttered about being unable to make a mask, left an annoying dot on the screen, I pressed delete to remove it and bam, photo deleted, but not to the recycle bin, no, to its "trash", spent more time trying to find where it had binned my picture to than actually using it.

No, thats not intuitive at all and is gone..

One down...

Last edited:
Another question for you all, I hear it said often that Fuji listen in regards to firmware, but who do we talk to?

Another question for you all, I hear it said often that Fuji listen in regards to firmware, but who do we talk to?
Good question. I'd probably start here, but not sure if that's the right place for 'feedback' or not.

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 08.21.24.png

Good question. I'd probably start here, but not sure if that's the right place for 'feedback' or not.

View attachment 76284

I've tweeted them before and had a quick response. Not about new functionality though. Fuji seem to listen to the polls on Fuji Rumours as well.

I would think that as well as direct contact they "listen" to user experiences on forums such as this one.

Do any of you ex Canon guys have a spare unwanted OCF cable? There's another thread going where the idea of cutting and joining Fuji and Canon cables to create an OCF TTL possibility is being discussed.
The cable will be cut in two so it won't be returned. Anybody got one lying around they want to donate. If you want to do the work I'll let you have my Fuji cable!

Do any of you ex Canon guys have a spare unwanted OCF cable? There's another thread going where the idea of cutting and joining Fuji and Canon cables to create an OCF TTL possibility is being discussed.
The cable will be cut in two so it won't be returned. Anybody got one lying around they want to donate. If you want to do the work I'll let you have my Fuji cable!

What flash are you intending using Frank? Can you give a link to the other thread? I may well have an old (already chopped) cable in a box somewhere.

I'm presuming this is something to do with the new flash protocols because the Canon OC3 cords work for ttl on a nissin I40 on the X-T1 etc.

View attachment 76284
Many thanks - I have contacted them via the normal contact page, so now lets see :)

For interest I wrote the following.

Morning,

I often hear it said that Fuji listen and note too that you have a continuous improvement program.

As an ex-Canon\Nikon user who found their approach to firmware lazy at best it is refreshing to find a company that actually makes their products better through firmware.

I have used an alternative firmware in the past called MagicLantern (http://www.magiclantern.fm/) which is an add on to existing firmware and in my eyes shames Canon when you look at what the bodies can do with the same and in some cases very old hardware.

The feature list is extensive covering every aspect of photography and video that can be imagined, including trap focus, sound and motion triggers, follow focus, rack focus, zebra, custom overlays, HDR video the list just goes on and on - the kicker is that they are doing this with new and old models alike with minimal impact.

The best thing - its open source so there is no reason not to take a look.

I obviously have something of a vested interest in this having recently moved to Fuji, owning now both an XT1 and 2.

To be clear I have no involvement with the project other than as an end user.

Please pass this to the R&D department, as although you are ahead on features relative to either Canon or Nikon you could take in so many of these features that there would be no doubt as to which camera company leads the way and really listen to their customers.

Kindest Regards,

Last edited:
What flash are you intending using Frank? Can you give a link to the other thread? I may well have an old (already chopped) cable in a box somewhere.

I'm presuming this is something to do with the new flash protocols because the Canon OC3 cords work for ttl on a nissin I40 on the X-T1 etc.
Thanks for that. I'm in Pret a Manger at the moment so can't do links.
Nuzik started a thread about flash for X-T2 and it has developed from there.
Just as an experiment I wanted to see if the camera end of a Fuji cable could be married up to the flash end of a Canon cable. I would then use my 580EXIi flash gun to see if it works.
Probably won't work on the T2 because of software changes but should work on T1.
Doesn't have to be Canon could be Nikon but I don't have one of those guns.
Does all that make sense?
Be back home around 3PM if you can't find the thread. Nod was heavily involved, so beware!

Edit...TTL is the aim not just manual operation.

Last edited:
Wouldn't there be incompatibilities in communion - the same with that remote triggers don;t work cross system on third party flashes.

It's not going to work for TTL. If you are determined to try I'll have a look over the weekend to see if I still have the chopped lead.

My fault! (In part, anyway...) I was thinking out loud and wondering if it was possible to match the pin outputs from the camera to the inputs on the flash so the relevant functions married up as far as pin to pin communication goes.

I'm not a flash user beyond using the built in as a hit of fill in daylight. My only real experience was way back when a flash was a flash and fitted any system using either the PC socket or a simple, dumb hotshoe!

My fault! (In part, anyway...) I was thinking out loud and wondering if it was possible to match the pin outputs from the camera to the inputs on the flash so the relevant functions married up as far as pin to pin communication goes.

I'm not a flash user beyond using the built in as a hit of fill in daylight. My only real experience was way back when a flash was a flash and fitted any system using either the PC socket or a simple, dumb hotshoe!
And you put bulbs in which melted, burnt your fingers, but smelled great.

Either that or lit a pan of powder and hoped you didn't get too many sparks on yourself!

Any ideas where the best place to get an X-T2 in the shortest time is? Everywhere I've looked so far is out of stock with no estimated stock date.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ffordes are now showing the XT2 & 18-55mm as stock item, all other options a listed as pre - order, as was the XT2 and kit lens when I was considering buying a few weeks ago. Maybe worth a call to check. > http://www.ffordes.com/product/16070709593251

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Dig...Ascending&PageIndex=2&SortExpression=ItemName

It's not going to work for TTL. If you are determined to try I'll have a look over the weekend to see if I still have the chopped lead.
I have no idea. It just followed from what Nod was saying. The thought was to transfer the info from the lens to the gun. But thinking about it the gun won't understand the signals will it?
Think we'll consign that idea to the bin....along with all my others. Thanks anyway. Blame Nod!

I have no idea. It just followed from what Nod was saying. The thought was to transfer the info from the lens to the gun. But thinking about it the gun won't understand the signals will it?
Think we'll consign that idea to the bin....along with all my others. Thanks anyway. Blame Nod!
I always blame Nod.

Forgot to put the bins out last night and when Mrs Sprout mentioned it this morning I blamed Nod. She asked me who the **** is this Nod you keep blaming!

When threatened with a picture of him in a suspenders panties and a bra she let the subject drop.

Ffordes are now showing the XT2 & 18-55mm as stock item, all other options a listed as pre - order, as was the XT2 and kit lens when I was considering buying a few weeks ago. Maybe worth a call to check. > http://www.ffordes.com/product/16070709593251

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Dig...Ascending&PageIndex=2&SortExpression=ItemName

Exeter LCE only had a kit in stock. Wouldn't split it BUT gave me the price difference between kit and body only as a deal. I suppose I could have taken the kit and flogged the lens on at a slight profit but I CBA so took the easy option! Maybe Fuji have a pile of 18-55s they want shot of? TBH, I'm not sure the 18-55 is a good choice as a kit lens for the X-T1 or 2 - the WR 18-135 is a much better partner IMO, even if it is a bit slower.

Back