The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

wOOOw beautiful capture Ash, it looks lovely and fresh, love the subtleness tones in the sky, great processing there. So which pre-set is this on the X-T10.....?......not CC, your personal pre-set I'm guessing ?

Fabulous.....

Pete

Thanks Pete :)

It's from the raw file. I saw a few cityscape images on 500px that had a desaturated, contrasty look that I really liked so I set about creating my own preset in LR. It tends to blow out the sky a bit too much (depending on the conditions the image was shot in of course), so on these recent London ones i've used a grad filter to bring it back a touch, but I actually like the "whiteness" around the skyline elements.

Probably the final one from this recent wander. Will have to persuade wifey to let me have a day in that London to make make this a proper series!

Shard by Ash Smith, on Flickr
Ash, these are amazing! Love the grittiness of them if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
That's a nice shot Dave, good exposure and showing some lovely autumn colours.(y)

"At first I thought the colour balanvce it looked a tad on the yellow side which it may well be, but in this instance I think it all works very well"

George.

Thanks George, and strictly it probably is. But by slightly over-warming, it gets the blaze of yellow leaves from what was really a pretty dark corner of the wood (f/5.6 and 1/30 at ISO 800) closer to what the eye perceived at the time. Pros and cons :)

Is the xt2 capable at ISO 6400 guys?? Am pretty sure it be better than xt1

People always try to avoid blown-out areas (myself included), but tbh sometimes they belong there. Pulling back too much often results in the "overdone HDR" look.

What's the best technique to help a blown-out sky....?....like this;

Elevated view;

Elevated view by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

XF10-24/4 -- @ f/4 -- iso 200 -- handheld
Nice pic. To avoid blown areas you can either expose for the highlights and raise the exposure of the rest in the scene in post (flexibility will depends on the camera, Fujis are 'OK' in terms of flexibility of files), bracket your shot and blend in list, or use a grad filter.

Could try an adjustment brush locally and exposure/highlights/whites combination??? The rest of the sky looks great, so I wouldn't necessarily rush for the grad filter.
You can if there's info there, but it looks completely blown to me in which case all you'll do is turn the white to grey.

Thanks for replies regards blown-out skies. I've a few ND Lee filters in my camera bag, but don't believe I've the proper sized filter holder for the Fuji XF10-24 glass (72mm thread), so I really must invest in the proper filter size ring etc........it should help this problem I hope.

Cheers;
Pete

Last edited:
Lovely shot, but why do you hide the Exif on Flickr?

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Haven't used Flickr in a very long time and only used it for this because when I uploaded directly to TP the compression was horrible. And I haven't intentionally hidden the exif data, no idea why it isn't visible.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Haven't used Flickr in a very long time and only used it for this because when I uploaded directly to TP the compression was horrible. And I haven't intentionally hidden the exif data, no idea why it isn't visible.
Depends on the software used, some strip the EXIF. I think photoshop may do.

I just realised mine was hidden too, and like psybear, not intentionally. Must be a default? I didn't notice of course as I can still see it on my images. I like when it's shown, when I look at other people's pics I like to try guess how they shot it before i check the exif below

You can switch it back on in privacy and permissions on your Flickr settings

Guys does the xt2 have auto ISO and able select minimum shutter speed pls?

Guys does the xt2 have auto ISO and able select minimum shutter speed pls?

yes, the XT-1 has this feature also. You set the ISO dial to 'A', and you can set the lowest shutter speed in the menu.

Last edited:
Cheers can I tell it the minimum shutter speed is it very flexible

What's the best technique to help a blown-out sky....?....like this;

Elevated view;

Elevated view by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

XF10-24/4 -- @ f/4 -- iso 200 -- handheld

"Proper" landscape togs would use an ND grad, but then you have to get it in the right place, and think about whether the image suits a hard or soft edge, blah. It has the advantage that you can see you're getting it right in the field, and your RAW files will look better in LR, but if you get it wrong, it stays wrong. I just bracket, wildly if necessary, and then blend exposures later. Can be a bit more difficult if the dog won't stay still, but as you've got a Border Collie, you should be fine. Mine's a Border Terrier, which is a rather different case. :)

Ben Loyal by Brian M, on Flickr

X-T10, 18-55mm
What the others said. Cracking shot, and should be Exhibit A if people question whether a camera as cheap as the X-T10 can really do landscape. :) My only concern would be that in sharpening to bring out distant detail, you've made a bit of a glowy line on the right hand horizon. Fine if you like that look, but if you don't, Jimmy McIntyre recently had a video tutorial on an approach to sharpening in PS that he said avoids that problem (with free downloadable action) although I have yet to test it on any of my own pictures. Not least because I haven't seen a view this splendid in a while!

So for example (shooting in RAW), if I'd underexposed say 3 stops for argument's sake for that image above, would that have helped much with a blown-out sky if I worked on it in LR5 as a RAW file I'm wondering ?

(After searching my spare camera gear I've actually found a Lee 72mm wide-angle adaptor for my (Lee 100mm) ND grads to use with the XF10-24mm, no more excuses.........such a plonker me).

Last edited:
Back