The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I don't have many framed images of my work displayed at home, so here's a photo of a recent image I shot of our border collie, had it printed 24"x16" and recently collected it from a local Art Gallery from being mounted/framed. I personally signed + dated the mount and it's now hung proudly on a spare wall at home, love it!

framed print by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

X-T1 - XF55-200mm
Looks great Peter. If I was being super critical it would be to have him a bit more to the right, so his tail doesn't go to the edge of the mount. Great shot though.(y)

are the Fuji lens as good as Canon L series lens ?
This is the only reason I'm not clicking the buy tab on a unit ..
Well, I don't do graphs and charts, only real-world results, but from my limited and distant recollections of using L glass plus from results I've seen, I'd say the combination of body and lens is equally as good as Canon in the real world.

Thanks again. Does the battery grip improve AF in any way or just the frame rate and blackout? The trouble for me with the grip is that you're back into DSLR size and weight which then makes me wonder what the advantage is (other than EVF for some)?

I've gotta be honest m8, I've not actually tried the X-T2 or the X-T1 without the grip. So at the moment I'm unable to answer that one.(y)

George.

Well, I don't do graphs and charts, only real-world results, but from my limited and distant recollections of using L glass plus from results I've seen, I'd say the combination of body and lens is equally as good as Canon in the real world.

I'd certainly be inclined to agree with you on that point Stephen, although I'm unable to comment on Canon glass as I've never use Canon gear. I can certainly say the Fuji lenses are as good optically as anything I've ever used from Nikon like for like with regards to FL.(y)

George.

Yes I would agree Nikon glass isn't any better. Although I did love the Sigma Arts they were damn sexy and if they released proper versions for Fuji I'd sell both my children to fund one

Yes I would agree Nikon glass isn't any better.
I think it's all depends Neil. There's some Nikon glass that's better than other brands and vice versa.

Although I did love the Sigma Arts they were damn sexy and if they released proper versions for Fuji I'd sell both my children to fund one
:ROFLMAO:

are the Fuji lens as good as Canon L series lens ?
This is the only reason I'm not clicking the buy tab on a unit ..
I had plenty of Canon L glass and it's great stuff! Fuji 23, 16, 56, 90, 60, 16-55... all on par if not better than the canon glass in my opinion. Seemingly delivers better resolution but that could be sensor difference, who knows. I've not thought twice about going back.

So from watching load of stuff on youtube and on here, it seems there is not much wrong with the XT2?

Compared to a DSLR, the battery life is not as good, errr, is that it? AF which was the bugbear of Fuji seems to be up there. Maybe for sports or extremes a DSLR will continue to be better but 90% of the time its great. Last night I went sleep convinced I would swap from Nikon to XT2 but keep getting 2nd thoughts. I know from a personal view it will be great, but its just the flash aspect that bothers me.

Can't say flash has ever been much different for me since coming from Canon.

When I had the 5DmkII I used yongnuo 568's with the 622 triggers. This gave ttl but I never bought them for that or ever used it. It was the best way at the time to have control of each flash from the camera position for manual settings.

When I switched to Fuji the 560mkIII and the 568 trigger had just came out and offered everything that I used previously. At a lower cost.

I briefly switched to the Godox 860? Which have lithium batteries and the same control.

Now switched to a couple of Godox 360's which have a lot more power and a trigger to still control from camera.

Last edited:
I never use TTL flash, so it'll be easy enough for me to get a nice cheap set up. You can't go wrong with Yongnuo triggers and speedlights, you get a lot of flash for your money.

Some nice glass alright, not exactly cheap though
No indeed. if you want cheap, any number of "nifty fifties", most are good. I also have a rather nice 58mm Hexanon I picked up cheaply.Useful for when you need a faster lens or shallow depth of field. Old Takumars also have a lovely character if you can find a good one without fungus.There are also loads of good 35s, although if you want a fast one you might as well spend a bit more and get the Fuji version. For longer reach, the Nikon Series E 75-150 is well worth a look if you can tolerate a bit of zoom creep (probably). Most of the old Pen-F lenses also have a good reputation and will look appealingly dinky on the front of your Fuji, albeit they aren't as cheap as they used to be. Just a few ideas, there are lots more. Just Google a bit.

you can check out my thoughts on the XT-2 here :)

Canon vs Fuji XT-2 Review

Nice read that, similar experience here after moving from Nikon FX, i was a bit wary, even after reading and watching a million reviews. I just got the XT-1 for now, because of the juicy price, and it allowed me to get a couple of lenses to start, just using the money I made selling the dslr. I got the 27mm 2.8 and the 55-200 3.5-4.8, both have been very pleasant to use so far. I might go for that 35 F2 though, looks a lovely lens. Needless to say, i don't regret this dramatic [to me] switch, I'm loving the ability, like you mentioned, to just have the camera on a strap and a lens in my pocket, no bag! :) A few batteries in the pockets too though! Thankfully there was 5 and 2 chargers with mine. Buying used from the right people has some nice benefit, owners who looked after their gear will usually have extras to throw in there too. The guy I bought from was upgrading to the XT-2

Last edited:
So from watching load of stuff on youtube and on here, it seems there is not much wrong with the XT2?

Compared to a DSLR, the battery life is not as good, errr, is that it? AF which was the bugbear of Fuji seems to be up there. Maybe for sports or extremes a DSLR will continue to be better but 90% of the time its great. Last night I went sleep convinced I would swap from Nikon to XT2 but keep getting 2nd thoughts. I know from a personal view it will be great, but its just the flash aspect that bothers me.

Simon, I still have my 6D & 7D2 with all the lenses, but this is because I haven't really had a chance to put the X-T1 or 2 through their paces. I'm in Scotland on a wildlife trip next week, I've hired the 100-400 and 1.4EX and will running them next to the 7D2 & Sigma 150-600 Sport. From what I have seen, the X-T2 and 100-400 is a very good combo, and so much lighter than my current set up.

I also have the 16-55 f4 and a couple of f1.4 primes. I prefer the out put of the X-T2 and the primes to my 6D with 17-40L or 24-105L. And it's all in a smaller, lighter package.

The point about batteries is well made. I find two get me through most sessions with the X-T10, but I might get through three in a day sometimes.

My X-T2 arrived today. Not used it in anger yet, apart from slipper and coffee table shots and running through menus to get familiar with it. It's nicely made. Coming from a 5D3, it's a different beast entirely, so it will take a bit of adjustment I think. The rear screen feels tiny to me, and I had to double check it was indeed a full 3". (It is). The EVF will definitely take some getting used to, but has some clear Pros and some Cons. Pros - I love the way it gains up as aperture reduces, giving you clear visual preview of aperture effects - way better than a dark old DOF preview button. Cons - it's grainer than i thought it might be (admittedly in lowish indoor light) and not as huge as I was expecting from some reviews. Very low levels of lag though. I have to keep reminding myself one of the reasons for change was to reduce camera gear size, and it's impossible to do that and have the camera feel as roomy as a 5D3. Focus seems plenty snappy though with the standard zoom, but I've not tried this in any kind of demanding situation yet.

I will read the manual properly this evening - I think I'm going to need to for a few things and address a couple of annoyances probably as a result of me not RTFM yet!

The first is preview time. I can't see how to set it to more than 1.5 seconds review - I'd like, say 2 or 3 as 1.5 is a bit short.
Related to that, is Zoom during review. Is there a way to zoom in while the review image is showing, without having to press the Play button first?
And I'm just experimenting yet, but the first thing I normally do is put Format Card on MyMenu and I haven't yet been able to - another RTFM I suspect.

Looking forward to using it properly tomorrow.

I haven't touched the manual for my XT-1. Just spent the last few days fiddling with controls, and learning through trial and error. I did watch a few videos on set ups. I tend to adjust and learn better visually and physically rather than literally. Day 3 with the camera though, and I feel very cosy with it now. I have a few custom profiles set up, and I'm at the stage where I know what settings I'm going to adjust for a shot before I even turn it on. The hardest part atm is just getting used to it's dinky size, feels a little less secure in hand without a strap then my D800 did, weirdly. I think it's just the grip is a little shallow, so I might get one of those add on grips that increase it.

The first is preview time. I can't see how to set it to more than 1.5 seconds review - I'd like, say 2 or 3 as 1.5 is a bit short.
Related to that, is Zoom during review. Is there a way to zoom in while the review image is showing, without having to press the Play button first?
And I'm just experimenting yet, but the first thing I normally do is put Format Card on MyMenu and I haven't yet been able to - another RTFM I suspect.

Head to the first of the blue menus, and down to 'screen set up' - you can change image display there to 'continuous' so the image displays as long as you need :)

I wouldn't put format on a shortcut, I'd be too afraid I'd hit it accidentally with a full card! :eek:

Last edited:
The only short-cut for formatting is to press and hold the "delete" button for two seconds then press the back control wheel. As Keith says, it may be long-winded but it prevents accidental formatting.

Head to the first of the blue menus, and down to 'screen set up' - you can change image display there to 'continuous' so the image displays as long as you need :)

I wouldn't put format on a shortcut, I'd be too afraid I'd hit it accidentally with a full card! :eek:

I saw the continuous setting - but I didn't want that - I'm assuming that will show the image permanently until I take the next one. I just wanted to be able to choose the length of time to review, but will see how continuous works out, and submit a wish to Fuji.

Format has enough dire warnings as it is before you actually commit, but it's always a setting I put on MyMenus on my Canon's, as it's more frequently required. I can live without it I guess.

Continuous shows the image until you click out of it or just half press the shutter. Or if you zoom in using the focus assist, it'll revert back to your live view right after, usually when I check an image I'll zoom in to check focus too so that's how I have it set.

Last edited:
My X-T2 arrived today. Not used it in anger yet, apart from slipper and coffee table shots and running through menus to get familiar with it. It's nicely made. Coming from a 5D3, it's a different beast entirely, so it will take a bit of adjustment I think. The rear screen feels tiny to me, and I had to double check it was indeed a full 3". (It is). The EVF will definitely take some getting used to, but has some clear Pros and some Cons. Pros - I love the way it gains up as aperture reduces, giving you clear visual preview of aperture effects - way better than a dark old DOF preview button. Cons - it's grainer than i thought it might be (admittedly in lowish indoor light) and not as huge as I was expecting from some reviews. Very low levels of lag though. I have to keep reminding myself one of the reasons for change was to reduce camera gear size, and it's impossible to do that and have the camera feel as roomy as a 5D3. Focus seems plenty snappy though with the standard zoom, but I've not tried this in any kind of demanding situation yet.

I will read the manual properly this evening - I think I'm going to need to for a few things and address a couple of annoyances probably as a result of me not RTFM yet!

Looking forward to using it properly tomorrow.

"Congratulations" Sounds like yet another result, looking forward to seeing some of your work with the new camera. "ENJOY".(y):)

George.

Continuous shows the image until you click out of it or just half press the shutter. Or if you zoom in using the focus assist, it'll revert back to your live view right after, usually when I check an image I'll zoom in to check focus too so that's how I have it set.

Thanks that sounds like it will work for me - will need to look up the focus assist.

Hi Simon,

I think you've summed that up pretty well.

On the flash front, how do you currently use flash? On camera/off camera/ TTL etc?

Hi Simon,

I think you've summed that up pretty well.

On the flash front, how do you currently use flash? On camera/off camera/ TTL etc?

Occasionally (normally at home) on camera manual. For shoots off camera through triggers again in manual. Do love my sb900s!!

I sold my 2nd sb900 recently, great lights, but tbh since I use flash almost always in manual, my cheap YN-560 does the same job. That, and I sold off all my other Nikon gear and i don't think the sb900 plays nice with Fuji.

Planning to get a YN-560 III or IV and maybe the YN560 TX to control it. I like the idea of being able to control the power of the light without having to constantly, physically adjust it on the speedlight itself. You can get a set of a 560 IV and the 560 TX for £80 on amazon. For less than the the price of one sb900 you could get 3x 560 IV and the TX commander.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Flashes/...qid=1478370326&sr=8-4&keywords=yongnuo+560+IV

Last edited:
First time out with the 16-55 today, really don't get why some people call it the "brick". I spent all day with it round my neck on the XT-2 and with a decent Optech strap distributing the weight it was fine.

Even more from Japan...

Line of Lights
by stickyfiddle, on Flickr

Signs of Ghibli

Rock!
More great stuff. Love that second one.

What is it with Japan that suits classic chrome so well? You truly make it sing.

As much as I love CC I dont use it much, I can't get results anywhere close to yours. Perhaps I should fire up lightroom and have a fiddle... By the looks of things you drop the blacks a little, up the saturation a tiny amount, and do you add some blue? Either a slightly cool wb or via H/S/L?

Back