The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I haven't done a lot of macro photography since I moved to Fuji, but got back to it at Photography Club on Thursday. The shell is a 5-image focus stack using the 35mm f1.4 with a Raynox 250. The Cybermen were shot on the 35mm with a 10mm Ebay extension tube.

Shell.jpg

Cybermen.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Andrew

Very nice bit of work Andrew, the stacking shot is particularly impressive in my book.(y)

George.

Officially back in the club, X-T1 plus battery grip heading my way, not decided which lens to use for home/family stuff yet, maybe the 35mm f2 as I remember AF being pretty rapid. Both will become backup kit later on.

In a shocking act of sensibleness I figured I may as well hold off on an X-T2 until the Spring, and keep my eye out for a good deal on a 23 and 56, as my next paid work isn't until March now, so I don't actually need them yet.

I came from a D800E to the XT-1, and honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on much. If anything, I'm finding processing my images more of a breeze, as the D800 ones were gigantic, and if you had a couple hundred of them they'd slow down even the beastiest PCs. I'm finding that I am back shooting more, my mojo is returning, had lost it for a long time. And because of this I am getting requests for my services again. No point having a big expensive set up if you're not making best use of it. I'm enjoying shooting mostly just for me right now though, and the size and weight of the Fuji is really helping ease me back in. You will love the XT-1, in terms of image quality there's nothing between it and the XT-2 from what I've seen. I will look to get one of those myself maybe next spring too, i expect the prices will drop a fair bit by then.

I came from a D800E to the XT-1, and honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on much. If anything, I'm finding processing my images more of a breeze, as the D800 ones were gigantic, and if you had a couple hundred of them they'd slow down even the beastiest PCs. I'm finding that I am back shooting more, my mojo is returning, had lost it for a long time. And because of this I am getting requests for my services again. No point having a big expensive set up if you're not making best use of it. I'm enjoying shooting mostly just for me right now though, and the size and weight of the Fuji is really helping ease me back in. You will love the XT-1, in terms of image quality there's nothing between it and the XT-2 from what I've seen. I will look to get one of those myself maybe next spring too, i expect the prices will drop a fair bit by then.
You know you want an XT2 you are just trying to convince yourself that the xt1 is almost as good.

You know you want an XT2 you are just trying to convince yourself that the xt1 is almost as good.

of course I want one, I'm not completely crazy! :D Just can't afford one atm. I do honestly believe the XT-1 produces just as pleasing an image. I don't see anyone showing otherwise, as in direct image comparisons. All we hear is about the obvious improvements, like a little knob ... :ROFLMAO:

of course I want one, I'm not completely crazy! :D Just can't afford one atm. I do honestly believe the XT-1 produces just as pleasing an image. I don't see anyone showing otherwise, as in direct image comparisons. All we hear is about the obvious improvements, like a little knob ... :ROFLMAO:

If you not interested in a little knob stay as you are lol

Viewed at normal size there's no discernible difference in IQ between the XT1 and XT2 imo. People are quoting more flexibility in post but part of me wonders if this is a case of Emporer's new clothes :whistle: ;)

Last edited:
Viewed at normal size there's no discernible difference in IQ between the XT1 and XT2. People are quoting more flexibility in post but part of me wonders if this is a case of Emporer's new clothes :whistle: ;)

I think it more of a hardware update and the faster AF that a upgrade

I think it more of a hardware update and the faster AF that a upgrade
There's a lot of 'upgrades' on the XT2, I'm just not convinced IQ is one of them (resolution aside), but as always I'm happy to proven wrong (y) So if anyone wants to loan me their XT2 (for free) in order to run some tests please feel free ;)

There's a lot of 'upgrades' on the XT2, I'm just not convinced IQ is one of them (resolution aside), but as always I'm happy to proven wrong (y) So if anyone wants to loan me their XT2 (for free) in order to run some tests please feel free ;)

Be nice they did before I drop my hard earn cash on one lol since xt1 selling for cheap

I can say i'm officially a Fuji member :)

Got the XT1 graphite silver and the 35mm f2 today. Got the 35mm new but the xt1 is used in mint condition except the bottom corner with very little scruff.

I tried the 35mm f1.4 but did not like it, not as fast focus as the f2. I'm very happy with the setup.

Pics will follow tonight :)

I can say i'm officially a Fuji member :)

Got the XT1 graphite silver and the 35mm f2 today. Got the 35mm new but the xt1 is used in mint condition except the bottom corner with very little scruff.

I tried the 35mm f1.4 but did not like it, not as fast focus as the f2. I'm very happy with the setup.

Pics will follow tonight :)

very nice start up set you got :) Now just do what I did, chuck the manual back in the box and press every button and every menu option a few times. Then you'll be all set :D

Be nice they did before I drop my hard earn cash on one lol since xt1 selling for cheap
Why does it matter what I think? :p

If you're thinking of buying the XT2 over the XT1 because it will give you better images then you will be deeply disappointed.

Why does it matter what I think? :p

If you're thinking of buying the XT2 over the XT1 because it will give you better images then you will be deeply disappointed.

Why you say that? Surely it be better at higher ISO.

So why people buy xt2 over the xt1? Purely for the little knob? lol oh the af too

Has there ever been a new camera that hasn't had people say the older version is better than or equal to.

Makes one wonder why the manufacturers bother.

Admittedly there have been a few classics in all sorts of products, but it's usually just nostalgia trumping performance

Or is this just a way to wage psychological war on those amongst us with purchasing commitment doubts

Last edited:
Viewed at normal size there's no discernible difference in IQ between the XT1 and XT2 imo. People are quoting more flexibility in post but part of me wonders if this is a case of Emporer's new clothes :whistle: ;)

I was of this opinion until I bought an X-T2. IMO the images from the X-T2 are slightly sharper and you can definitely drag more out of the shadows in Post Production, and although the ISO range is only slightly expanded, the IQ at 3200, 6400 and 12800 is a long way ahead of the X-T1

Of course you will just have to buy one to be convinced!!.........

A question again guys sorry.

Ok let say on 35 f2 lens the aperture numbers are 16-11-8-5.6 can we not set aperture in between if so how?

Sorry

Can't speak about flexibility in PP since I do as little of that as possible but in real life as well as on paper, the X-T2 is a definite upgrade from the X-T1. High ISO performance and the 2 axis hinged screen are the 2 biggest for me that spring to mind but others include the dial lock buttons' on/off function and the focus point joystick. The extra resolution is nice too - allows a bit more cropping.

Rich (tijuana taxi), not sure anyone thought the D200 was better than the D300!

Has there ever been a new camera that hasn't had people say the older version is better than or equal to.

Makes one wonder why the manufacturers bother.

Admittedly there have been a few classics in all sorts of products, but it's usually just nostalgia trumping performance

Or is this just a way to wage psychological war on those amongst us with purchasing commitment doubts

of course there has. The Canon 5D Mk III was a triumph over the II, The D810 is better than the D800 [though now is a great time to buy a used D800 probably best value for money out there] The D7XXX range is superior to the old D90, the D300 stomps all over the old D200 etc, etc ... Many, many cases where the newer version was a win. I just don't see a 'massive', incredible difference with the Fujis. The XT-2 is better than the 1, but it is because of a few added features, not because it's much better IQ-wise. And that's all we're saying here. Nobody said the 1 was better. personally i just don't think the 2 is 3 times better than the 1. And I got the XT-1 for 1/3rd the price of a 2.

I think they could have added more, like touch screen, a more flexible tilty-flippy LCD, and a better default grip. Reckon we'll see these improvements on the 3

Last edited:
Why you say that? Surely it be better at higher ISO.

So why people buy xt2 over the xt1? Purely for the little knob? lol oh the af too
I think you missed my point TBH. But yes the XT2 will be better at high ISO.

My point is that, high ISO aside you're going to struggle to see any discernible difference in the end result unless pixel peeping, and unless you're one of the few people that shoot high ISO all the time then the XT2 isn't worth considering as an upgrade if the only consideration is IQ,.... IMO. YMMV.

As already mentioned the XT2 is a major improvement when you consider the whole package, the better AF, better controls (nipple, better buttons and dials), more responsive EVF, dual card slot (biggie for me), improved resolution, and of course better ISO handling.

of course there has. The Canon 5D Mk III was a triumph over the II, The D810 is better than the D800 [though now is a great time to buy a used D800 probably best value for money out there] The D7XXX range is superior to the old D90, the D300 stomps all over the old D200 etc, etc ... Many, many cases where the newer version was a win. I just don't see a 'massive', incredible difference with the Fujis. The XT-2 is better than the 1, but it is because of a few added features, not because it's much better IQ-wise. And that's all we're saying here. Nobody said the 1 was better. personally i just don't think the 2 is 3 times better than the 1. And I got the XT-1 for 1/3rd the price of a 2.

I think they could have added more, like touch screen, a more flexible tilty-flippy LCD, and a better default grip. Reckon we'll see these improvements on the 3

Don't think you read the first sentence properly, clue is in the word "say " With Fuji it was the mk1 x-trans giving better colours than its sucessor

Didn't say they were right though, just a way to justify sticking with what they have for whatever reason

Last edited:
The upgrades from the 1 to 2 are certainly worth considering for working pros, the dual card slots alone will be a massive bonus for wedding togs (a fair few Fuji shooters about now), add in the potential for 3 batteries, the joystick etc.

Personally I'm not overly interested in the extra MPs, the improved AF and lowlight performance, the X-T1/10 have always been ok in that respect for me, but the usability improvements will make long days with the camera a fair bit easier.

Don't think you read the first sentence properly, clue is in the word "say " With Fuji it was the mk1 x-trans giving better colours than its sucessor

Didn't say they were right though, just a way to justify sticking with what they have for whatever reason

Oh look at smarty pants over here! :D I only quoted you, but my post is general, so doesn't matter how you put it. You still asked the question, has there ever been? Be clearer next time maybe.

The upgrades from the 1 to 2 are certainly worth considering for working pros, the dual card slots alone will be a massive bonus for wedding togs (a fair few Fuji shooters about now), add in the potential for 3 batteries, the joystick etc.

I had dual slots in the D800, SD/CF - I always had one in each slot, but the amount of times I actually required it - 0. It's better to have than not of course. I had it set to double up, I think overflow is a waste of time as cards are so large now. And i never needed more than 32GB at any one time. The joystick is a good addition, should have been there on the 1, as those direction buttons are terrible.

Last edited:
TBH guys I want one just need the urge to do it lol. No stock at the moment where I be getting it from anyway

They're getting them in daily, I could have had one this week. Speak to Nathan.

TBH guys I want one just need the urge to do it lol. No stock at the moment where I be getting it from anyway
Why are you limited to one place? Where is that btw?

so who is it with? and what deal, as someone might be able to advise you a quicker/better deal

I would love to tell you the deal but I can't as I have promise the retail who I did the deal with as currently the deal is cheaper than any that listed on Camera price buster.

Don't think so, no retailer will lose money like that with a camera in short supply.

I can't say anymore let just say I know a insider...

Not that good an insider if you have to wait two weeks.

You won't get as good a deal as I did anyway. They even configured the camera so that every time I hit the shutter button £1 gets credited to my bank account...

Fair play

So, I know I need to learn a lot more about Landscape, but here's a couple taken in the lakes on Friday:

DSCF1452 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

DSCF1467 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Both taken on the X-T2, with the 16mm f1.4.

The sky was poor yesterday, even with ND grads I was struggling with definition between the snow and the clouds. One day when a blue sky would of actually improved the picture.

Back