The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Looks neat that does. What have you come over from?

I've been looking into getting one of these now with a prime see how I get one before doing a full switch

I did not come from anything. Only added the Fuji to my equipment for specific purpose in mind. I did sold my backup body which is nikon d700 for this. I still got my nikon d3 and all the pro glass.

I'm gasing for another lens already lol. The fuji refurbish 16-50mm for around £149 is attractive for a knock around multi purpose lens.

Why does the XT1, XT2 and XT10 all share a thread? Be easier to follow if they were separated.
Because they're all very similar, part of the same series and share a lot of the same/similar bits and bobs. Likewise with the Fuji XP thread (y)

I like them being together, 90% of stuff is common to all of us (obviously the glass too), so it makes sense.

Probably have an X-T20 to add to the mixer next year too, I'm guessing sensor and processor of X-T2 but with one card slot, smaller EVF and the dial layout from the X-T10 (hopefully with an added joystick)

I like them being together, 90% of stuff is common to all of us (obviously the glass too), so it makes sense.

Probably have an X-T20 to add to the mixer next year too, I'm guessing sensor and processor of X-T2 but with one card slot, smaller EVF and the dial layout from the X-T10 (hopefully with an added joystick)

Hoping for an X-E3 before that, think you will be right about the T20 though

My first point still stands. End results from either camera are going to be similar, nobody would know the difference, all that money you splurged for the latest trend was a bit wasted :p Oh dang, you ARE a hipster! :jawdrop::pompous::punch::banghead:

vegans aren't real people, and for every animal they don't eat, i tend to eat 3-4 anyway.

Opps, I'm a real tree-huggin vegan and I'm a hipster!!!!

Why does the XT1, XT2 and XT10 all share a thread? Be easier to follow if they were separated.
If you knew the cameras listed, you'd also understand why they're grouped together. Besides, it saves me following three separate threads when I can follow only the one ;)

Opps, I'm a real tree-huggin vegan and I'm a hipster!!!!

Good for you, I'm cracking open a 500g pack of minced beef over here for Burritos .... :p

Hipsters wouldn't get their cardigans dirty hugging trees, so you're faking something

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew, I was using the 23mm f/2 and was stood half way down Deal pier, so had a wide vista to photograph.

The Portrait lens for the Fuji is really the 56mm isn't it? But I currently use my 55mm on FF so wouldn't the 35mm F2 be ok? I know the DOF wouldn't be there

The Portrait lens for the Fuji is really the 56mm isn't it? But I currently use my 55mm on FF so wouldn't the 35mm F2 be ok? I know the DOF wouldn't be there
There's no right or wrong lens for anything, only preference. Would you be happy with 50mm f2.8 on your Sony? If so the 35mm f2 will be roughly the same.

There's no right or wrong lens for anything, only preference. Would you be happy with 50mm f2.8 on your Sony? If so the 35mm f2 will be roughly the same.
I would prefer to get the 35mm 1.4 but I rather have a faster AF lens just me I suppose

I would prefer to get the 35mm 1.4 but I rather have a faster AF lens just me I suppose
Again, just preference. For portraits you don't generally need the fastest AF, but the f1.4 isn't snail pace just not as fast as other lenses. Slowness is only really noticeable if you change subject distance, if you're focussing at a similar subject distance such as you would taking a series of portraits AF speed isn't really an issue IMO. Kids running around may be a different matter.

I have the 35mm 1.4 and can say that stories about the AF are greatly exagerated. Try and find a video on YouTube about it, you may have to trawl through reviews to get to the "AF part".

Honestly, unless you're trying to track a bird in flight, it's more than fast enough... And honestly, if you ARE doing that with a 35mm, you're doing it wrong.

I have the 35mm 1.4 and can say that stories about the AF are greatly exagerated. Try and find a video on YouTube about it, you may have to trawl through reviews to get to the "AF part".

Honestly, unless you're trying to track a bird in flight, it's more than fast enough... And honestly, if you ARE doing that with a 35mm, you're doing it wrong.

Fast AF is handy when doing say, family shoots, with small kids or weddings/events where people are moving about a lot. You can miss vital shots if it hunts even just now and then. I never used this lens, but I know that reviewers often over exaggerate 'sluggish' AF.

Agreed. It clunks and rattles but it does the job for what I need it to do.
Fast AF is handy when doing say, family shoots, with small kids or weddings/events where people are moving about a lot. You can miss vital shots if it hunts even just now and then. I never used this lens, but I know that reviewers often over exaggerate 'sluggish' AF.
TBH I've not found the 35mm f1.4 hunt any more or less than my 18-55 or 18-135mm, it's just not quite as snappy. That being said I'm not sure I'd trust any of my lenses with my XT1 100% if I was shooting weddings or sports events.

Well i took my xt1 and 35mm f2 to my parents place to try it out. The room is not bright and i tried to capture my active baby walking around. As you all know baby don't listen so snapping them in the right moment is the key. Light is low so i set to f2, auto shutter so basically is aperture priority mode. I also set iso to auto with face and eye detection because i want to test how it will work on the fuji.

Attachment is my result. Not bang on sharpness but consider the baby move around very quick, i think my xt1 and the 35mm f2 AF handle well.

I need to practice more and get use to the xt1. Completely different then shooting on my d3.

One annoying thing is i keep hitting the mode switch to change from single to something else so the flash doesn't fire .......

I'm loving the fuji atm.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Why do people dog the 18mm so much? Seems to be a good little lens for the money. I've seen some reviews, written and video, where they made out it was a poor lens - Turned me off buying one at least. I have seen a few up for sale locally, and that kind of suggested it wasn't great too

And here's one I took with an adapted Meyer Optik Primotar 50/3.5 in M42 mount:

DSCF5278.jpg

Lens looks like this (not my image, so credit to the original photographer):

Meyer_optik_Gorlitz_Primotar_E_50mm_f3.5_pic_2.JPG

Why do people dog the 18mm so much? Seems to be a good little lens for the money. I've seen some reviews, written and video, where they made out it was a poor lens - Turned me off buying one at least. I have seen a few up for sale locally, and that kind of suggested it wasn't great too

The usual criticism is around corner sharpness compared to the XF 18-55mm.

However, as a general walkabout wide lens it's great - really sharp from wide open. Maybe just too wide for a walkaround lens though, perhaps that's the problem.

Well i took my xt1 and 35mm f2 to my parents place to try it out. The room is not bright and i tried to capture my active baby walking around. As you all know baby don't listen so snapping them in the right moment is the key. Light is low so i set to f2, auto shutter so basically is aperture priority mode. I also set iso to auto with face and eye detection because i want to test how it will work on the fuji.

Attachment is my result. Not bang on sharpness but consider the baby move around very quick, i think my xt1 and the 35mm f2 AF handle well.

I need to practice more and get use to the xt1. Completely different then shooting on my d3.

One annoying thing is i keep hitting the mode switch to change from single to something else so the flash doesn't fire .......

I'm loving the fuji atm.
Just remember that when using face and eye detection Fuji disables the phase detect focus and switches to contrast detect focus. Unlike the latest Sony cameras as they maintain phase detect focus when using face and eye detection. I m not sure if Fuji can add this with a firmware update but I hope so.

The usual criticism is around corner sharpness compared to the XF 18-55mm.

However, as a general walkabout wide lens it's great - really sharp from wide open. Maybe just too wide for a walkaround lens though, perhaps that's the problem.

Because it's a prime people expect it to be a lot better I suppose. I have the 27mm which is almost perfect as a walkabout lens, just a tad too long in some circumstance. the 23mm is the most ideal I imagine. I really hate criss crossing focal lengths, it just bugs me :D so I probably won't ever buy the 18-55, as i also want the 35 F2. I always prefer primes, I really only like zooms on the longer end, like the 55-200

Because it's a prime people expect it to be a lot better I suppose. I have the 27mm which is almost perfect as a walkabout lens, just a tad too long in some circumstance. the 23mm is the most ideal I imagine. I really hate criss crossing focal lengths, it just bugs me :D so I probably won't ever buy the 18-55, as i also want the 35 F2. I always prefer primes, I really only like zooms on the longer end, like the 55-200

I really like the 27/2.8 too, but I suspect I'll stop using it once the 23/2 arrives. Perhaps I've flog the 27/2.8 rather than the 18/2, as the extra stop is useful I guess.

I always prefer primes for their quality and fast apertures, but the 18-55mm is still my most used lens. I have got lazy with age, I generally only use AF lenses these days too, shocking.

The 55-200mm is attractive but is not on my priority list to buy. 16-50mm or 18-55mm is a good option for jack of all trade for me but I think I will add a wide angle prime to my gear and possibly the 52mm f1.2 lens.

Just remember that when using face and eye detection Fuji disables the phase detect focus and switches to contrast detect focus. Unlike the latest Sony cameras as they maintain phase detect focus when using face and eye detection. I m not sure if Fuji can add this with a firmware update but I hope so.

I was wondering how the face detection work. When focusing on my 11months baby, it didn't work as well as I thought it would. Maybe the scene is very low light.

Back