The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Really? They're deeply average IMO. Skin tones are grim but I suspect that's the processing.

They haven't gone down well amongst any other wedding photographers I know either.

Well, I've only seen them on my iPhone but at first glance they didn't look too bad, will have a thorough look later.

I'm in no doubt that this will be a stellar camera, and the likes of Kevin Mullins will really show what it can do at a wedding.

This though, strikes me as nothing more than link-bait to support ads on that blog. Rushed, average photography that doesn't show the camera in the best light.

Don't get me started on using a pre-prod camera on a paying gig like a wedding either.

IMO naturally.

Naturally!, there's no way I would consider any job on something not only tried and tested but that i was thoroughly conversant in.

Nothing too taxing, just something to demonstrate your Nikon at its widest would be good :)

Hi B_C

Below are a few images taken with the Nikon at 10mm on my XE2. These are not great since I do everything in a rush nowadays, I did these handheld and at high iso and did some clumsy sharpening. But you can see the wide FOV.

Regards

Gary

1024c_zps7cc75ace.jpg

1024b_zps782d8ab3.jpg

1024a_zps09c637e7.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up my X-T1 today. Got it with the kit lens. Only had a few minutes to play.

So far it's 50/50.

More testing needed, particularly focusing in AFC

Hi Trevor, what else is worrying you about the xt1 apart from the AF? Assuming the AF is no worse than the xe2.

Well the X-T1 had arrived when I got home from work on Friday, WEX were pretty good sending it next day delivery even though I didn't pay for it. Had a bit of a play over the weekend and I'm already liking it more than the X-Pro1. The AF is quicke,r the EVF is superb. there are so many fn buttons I am taking time to remember which one does what. I like the control dials and another big plus for me over the X-Pro1 is I can operate the camera remotely from my iPhone using the Fuji App. Inital picture quality is fantastic but then you'd expect that from Fuji.

So, looks like the X-Pro1 is going up for sale, anyone interested ??

OK - XT-1 owners. A test for you.

Dark conditions - say ISO6400 needed to get 1/100s at f2, so a prime lens is needed.

Outer focus point - corners preferable.

Does AF lock on, and does it track in focus with AF-C. How much hunting is there?

OK - XT-1 owners. A test for you.

Dark conditions - say ISO6400 needed to get 1/100s at f2, so a prime lens is needed.

Outer focus point - corners preferable.

Does AF lock on, and does it track in focus with AF-C. How much hunting is there?

Will try later :)

Well the X-T1 had arrived when I got home from work on Friday, WEX were pretty good sending it next day delivery even though I didn't pay for it. Had a bit of a play over the weekend and I'm already liking it more than the X-Pro1. The AF is quicke,r the EVF is superb. there are so many fn buttons I am taking time to remember which one does what. I like the control dials and another big plus for me over the X-Pro1 is I can operate the camera remotely from my iPhone using the Fuji App. Inital picture quality is fantastic but then you'd expect that from Fuji.

So, looks like the X-Pro1 is going up for sale, anyone interested ??

I am going to keep both :)

Picked up my X-T1 today. Got it with the kit lens. Only had a few minutes to play.

So far it's 50/50.

More testing needed, particularly focusing in AFC

@les hawkins Nothing really. I just want to be able to track a target and pick off a shot when I'm ready. Not really wanting to shoot continuos.
Haven't had any chance to experiment. Hopefully Wednesday.
I need to have the camera do what @Radiohead is after.

Last edited:
Hi B_C

Below are a few images taken with the Nikon at 10mm on my XE2. These are not great since I do everything in a rush nowadays, I did these handheld and at high iso and did some clumsy sharpening. But you can see the wide FOV.

Regards

Garyquote]

Many thanks for taking the time to take these and post them on here. Given the adapter that you've used, the images appear really sharp. They are quite impressive. I was thinking of selling my Nikon 10-24mm but on reflexion I think I will keep it.

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Hi Blank_Canvas

For sure Fuji are making some nice gear nowadays but the new price of the Fuji 10-24 v the used price of the Nikon equivalent means that I can live with the Nikon version and without AF for the time being as well.

Gary

Mixed results,very dim room only lit by tv screen the hit was 50/50 lens 18-55mm F2.8, but going to get used to the camera and try with a few others lens :)

Hey Simon. In AF-C are you getting your focus square turning green to indicate focus has been achieved. Sadly mine doesn't.

I looked at one today, love the feel of quality to the body and 18-55, evf was very nice. But overall I was a little underwhelmed. The buttons on the back felt quite strange. I wasn't to sure about the continuous AF, things didn't seem to focus inside the shop. Hopefully a better play at the photo show will give me a better idea of how it works.

Another interesting review. Mostly full of praise but a few firmware tweaks are required and you know Fuji, they listen to their customers :)

I am upgrading from my X-Pro1 to the X-T1 this week. Focus is pretty quick but I still think the Olympus OM-D E-M1 is better in this regards. The direction buttons on the back are very squishy! I didn't like these at all but the rest of the camera is excellent.
I tried out the upcoming Fuji 10-24 lens at the Photography Show at the weekend and was very impressed with it both optically and how it felt on my X-Pro1. That is definitely going to be in my kit bag.
Btw for those interested we have stock of the X-T1 in our shop Cotswold Cameras. I'm the owner but mainly a gear nut so apologies for the plug :)

Handled the X-T1 at the Photography Show in Brum yesterday, along with the XE-2. The X-T1 feels considerably chunkier in the hand, but not uncomfortable. Some of the buttons are now weirdly placed, but the EVF is indeed magic, even compared with the XE-2. It's now a pretty complex camera that seems to me will require a lot of learning to master. I do want one, but I'll have to wait a year or two until it gets cheaper, and by then there'll probably be a XPro-2 to tempt me to wait more!

Oh right, thanks for that. I'm still wavering.

I was but I prefer the XP1 look and handling, according to DPR the AF isnt much quicker than the XP1 with the primes, the main performance bump was zooms, so I think Ill be sticking with my XP1 at less than half the price and wait for the XP2. I also like the hybrid viewfinder. Personally I went for the 56mm instead of the body upgrade, it will make more difference.

I was but I prefer the XP1 look and handling, according to DPR the AF isnt much quicker than the XP1 with the primes, the main performance bump was zooms, so I think Ill be sticking with my XP1 at less than half the price and wait for the XP2. I also like the hybrid viewfinder. Personally I went for the 56mm instead of the body upgrade, it will make more difference.
I'm sort of with you really. I bought the XP1 because I wanted the Rangefinder type camera. The XT1 is a miniature SLR and that is one of the things that currently has me sitting on the fence. Hopefully now that more people are buying the XT1 we can get more accurate reports of what it's really like rather than the blogs out there extolling it's virtues, most of which have their own agenda.

I'm sort of with you really. I bought the XP1 because I wanted the Rangefinder type camera. The XT1 is a miniature SLR and that is one of the things that currently has me sitting on the fence. Hopefully now that more people are buying the XT1 we can get more accurate reports of what it's really like rather than the blogs out there extolling it's virtues, most of which have their own agenda.
Mike, I'm taking an X-T1 to the Outer Hebrides for a couple of weeks on Friday. I'll be blogging about it on my website www.thecotswoldphotographer.com . No agenda here, just going to see if I think it's worth the money over the X-Pro1 I currently use. I didn't think the X-E2 was.

Last edited:
Well, good news, the 56mm is VERY sharp wide open. This is a quick test shot and a lo-res screen grab crop at 100%, untouched. At first check its sharper than both 23 and 35 and thats at F1.2!

Last edited:
Just noticed the sample images with the 56 I posted were quite heavily underexposed, have done a quick level adjust and reattached.

Tried one yesterday when a mate popped round with his (using the 35mm lens).

Feels VERY similar in use to the Df - that means that all of the criticisms aimed at the Df in terms of acting like an old SLR with the dials etc are just as valid here IMO. That's neither good nor bad, just a statement.

He also had an XE-2 here and we couldn't really see much difference in AF speed in low-light. It tracks better using the AF points that use the PDAF, no doubt about that, but as soon as you're outside into the edge AF points it's no quicker that we could see in real terms. The Df did kick it's arse there (which means a D600/D610 would) and the D3s absolutely slaughtered it (both using the Nikkor 35/1.4). Moving the AF points around isn't as quick as just hitting a d-pad but there's no reason why that couldn't be sorted with firmware. IQ-wise we could see no difference against his XE-2. The DSLR comparison was done because that's what I'd be giving up and sadly it's not quite there yet for me in terms of a camera I could use for 40+ weddings a year, some in the very low light we get for UK winter weddings. I'm also not quite ready to give up a good OVF.

BUT - very light, very compact and very well built (on a par with the Df I'd say, but obviously smaller and lighter). It's certainly an excellent camera and extremely well-priced.

He also had an XE-2 here and we couldn't really see much difference in AF speed in low-light. It tracks better using the AF points that use the PDAF, no doubt about that, but as soon as you're outside into the edge AF points it's no quicker that we could see in real terms.

My understanding is that in low light its just as slow as previous models as it switches back to CDAF only. I noticed this with my XP1 and X100s. I still think hybrid focus needs a lot of work.

Moving the AF points around isn't as quick as just hitting a d-pad but there's no reason why that couldn't be sorted with firmware.

Fuji users have wanted that for ages, cant understand why they dont sort it.

IQ-wise we could see no difference against his XE-2.

Same sensor, no surprise

BUT - very light, very compact and very well built (on a par with the Df I'd say, but obviously smaller and lighter). It's certainly an excellent camera and extremely well-priced.

Thanks for taking the time

Back