The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

No worries - it's a cracking little camera and one I'd buy as a personal body for sure if I didn't have the Df.

Gut feeling is that 18-24 months time will see these good enough to replace DSLR's for me. X-Pro2 maybe. Who knows. Still concerned about battery life but that'll improve.

Im also waiting for the XP2. Hopefully theres a real breakthrough in AF not an overhyped 'breakthrough'. The Sony A6000 is supposed to be pretty good, but Ill take that with a pinch of salt till I try it.

Hard to see through a lot of the online evangelising with these, I'll give you that. As ever trying for yourself is the answer. Was the same with the Df.

Tried one yesterday when a mate popped round with his (using the 35mm lens).

Feels VERY similar in use to the Df - that means that all of the criticisms aimed at the Df in terms of acting like an old SLR with the dials etc are just as valid here IMO. That's neither good nor bad, just a statement.

He also had an XE-2 here and we couldn't really see much difference in AF speed in low-light. It tracks better using the AF points that use the PDAF, no doubt about that, but as soon as you're outside into the edge AF points it's no quicker that we could see in real terms. The Df did kick it's arse there (which means a D600/D610 would) and the D3s absolutely slaughtered it (both using the Nikkor 35/1.4). Moving the AF points around isn't as quick as just hitting a d-pad but there's no reason why that couldn't be sorted with firmware. IQ-wise we could see no difference against his XE-2. The DSLR comparison was done because that's what I'd be giving up and sadly it's not quite there yet for me in terms of a camera I could use for 40+ weddings a year, some in the very low light we get for UK winter weddings. I'm also not quite ready to give up a good OVF.

BUT - very light, very compact and very well built (on a par with the Df I'd say, but obviously smaller and lighter). It's certainly an excellent camera and extremely well-priced.

Thanks for the review Guy - I've been waiting for something along these line. Seems that Fuji are getting close to what I need, maybe the XP2 will tempt me away. Have you had chance to do a similar review for the DF? My ageing D3s' are going to need replacing at some point, not sure the D4 is worth while and its going to be some time til the D4s drops in price.

I have Phil, and it's about what I expected. In good to ok light the Df is very good (as you'd expect from its D600 AF) but into low light the D3s left it behind.

That said we're talking about late December weddings there, so think ISO6400 and f2 to get 1/100s low light. It does obviously have that excellent sensor and the build is very good, along with excellent battery life.

I could shoot with a pair of Df's but I'd have to accept the loss of low-light AF excellence as a trade off for the lighter weight. I'm sticking with a pair of D3s's this year though - they just go on and on and never miss a beat.

Sorry to take this OT!

I have Phil, and it's about what I expected. In good to ok light the Df is very good (as you'd expect from its D600 AF) but into low light the D3s left it behind.

That said we're talking about late December weddings there, so think ISO6400 and f2 to get 1/100s low light. It does obviously have that excellent sensor and the build is very good, along with excellent battery life.

I could shoot with a pair of Df's but I'd have to accept the loss of low-light AF excellence as a trade off for the lighter weight. I'm sticking with a pair of D3s's this year though - they just go on and on and never miss a beat.

Sorry to take this OT!

Thanks, pretty much my plan, except using a d610 rather than DF for some stuff. Thread hijack over! :)

I thought it was about time we got some pictures up.........

I'm really pleased with my F-T1. The first thing that struck me was the rugged quality that feels very confident and comfortable in the hand. The quality of the kit lens XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS is also suburb. Make no mistake this is a quality metal build and not on the same level of the Cannon and Nikon kits.

Over the last year or so I have been taking my Fuji X10 out in favour of my Nikon system, I have found the quality and lightness completely liberating. This was one of the reasons I decided to invest in the Fuji X system. The camera starts up very quickly indeed much faster than my X10. There is very little difference if any, than my D7000.

The Multi Mode Optical Viewfinder is impressive. it's big. I can only describe it as viewing your subject on a cinema screen as opposed to a 27" flat screen TV. The exposure details are also very clear, bright and bold. It is real time and I can't tell the difference if there is a lag than an OVF in one of my Nikons. I thought low level light may be an issue so I decided to put it to the test. I visited York Railway Station and also decided to test the ISO:-

Fuji Ft-XT1, 18-55mm, ISO 6400 - York Railway Station (Handheld)

I am very impressed by the low noise and sharpness and also the optical quality of the lens. These are straight out of the camera and I have not attempted any PP. I have found the EVF to work very well under the low lights of the atrium and no issues at this time.

Fuji Ft-XT1, 18-55mm, ISO 200 - Whitby

For the next image I adopted continuous focusing and a high speed to capture this image. I have found this to be a very good but it does take a little practice to get used to it.

The optical quality of the lens at 55mm is impressive and really records the details nicely.

Fuji Ft-XT1, 18-55mm, ISO 200 - F4.0, 1/300s - Beth McCarthy (BBC The Voice) in York

I was really keen to open up the lens and see what a large aperture (F4.O)would do to the background, This is the first portrait from me using this lens and the AF Face Detection mode was switched off. This can be quickly turned on/off from the Q (quick) menu button on the rear of the camera.

I'm still getting used to the camera, there are many settings I haven't explored yet. However, learning photography in the 80s on a manual 35mm camera (Nikon FM) with physical, knobs and dials I immediately fell at home with it and it's like picking up an old friend again, albeit slightly smaller.

Over the next week or so I'll try it out with the 18mm and I also want to experiment a bit with some off-camera TTL flash, I'll keep you posted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blank_canvas_photograpy/13071365754/

Last edited:
Apologies for some of the above being in bold. I did preview this which was ok, maybe a bit of a glitch I'm sorry if this detracts from my original post. i have tried to sort it out using the edit but it still won't have it !

Last edited:
Apologies for some of the above being in bold. I did preview this which was ok, maybe a bit of a glitch I'm sorry if this detracts from my original post. i have tried to sort it out using the edit but it still won't have it !

It's part of the charm of the internet :D My connectivity has been a bit iffy but if I type posts out in a doc and then cut and paste to save the frustration of losing everything half way through a post somtimes these glitches catch me too.

I'm really pleased with my F-T1. The first thing that struck me was the rugged quality that feels very confident and comfortable in the hand. The quality of the kit lens XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS is also suburb. Make no mistake this is a quality metal build and not on the same level of the Cannon and Nikon kits.

Over the last year or so I have been taking my Fuji X10 out in favour of my Nikon system, I have found the quality and lightness completely liberating. This was one of the reasons I decided to invest in the Fuji X system. The camera starts up very quickly indeed much faster than my X10. There is very little difference if any, than my D7000.

The Multi Mode Optical Viewfinder is impressive. it's big. I can only describe it as viewing your subject on a cinema screen as opposed to a 27" flat screen TV. The exposure details are also very clear, bright and bold. It is real time and I can't tell the difference if there is a lag than an OVF in one of my Nikons. I thought low level light may be an issue so I decided to put it to the test. I visited York Railway Station and also decided to test the ISO:-

I am very impressed by the low noise and sharpness and also the optical quality of the lens. These are straight out of the camera and I have not attempted any PP. I have found the EVF to work very well under the low lights of the atrium and no issues at this time.

For the next image I adopted continuous focusing and a high speed to capture this image. I have found this to be a very good but it does take a little practice to get used to it.

The optical quality of the lens at 55mm is impressive and really records the details nicely.

Fuji Ft-XT1, 18-55mm, ISO 200 - F4.0, 1/300s - Beth McCarthy (BBC The Voice) in York

I was really keen to open up the lens and see what a large aperture (F4.O)would do to the background, This is the first portrait from me using this lens and the AF Face Detection mode was switched off. This can be quickly turned on/off from the Q (quick) menu button on the rear of the camera.

I'm still getting used to the camera, there are many settings I haven't explored yet. However, learning photography in the 80s on a manual 35mm camera (Nikon FM) with physical, knobs and dials I immediately fell at home with it and it's like picking up an old friend again, albeit slightly smaller.

Over the next week or so I'll try it out with the 18mm and I also want to experiment a bit with some off-camera TTL flash, I'll keep you posted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blank_canvas_photograpy/13071365754/

How would you compare the image quality to that of your D7000? And to the xpro-1?

Nick your second photo in the station looks great for SOOC.
Do you plan on getting the 35mm? I just wish it wasn't slower at focus than the kit zoom.
It did fine in the shop when I gave it a go on an X-Pro1.

How would you compare the image quality to that of your D7000? And to the xpro-1?

I have pretty much ditched my D7000. The Sensor on the Fuji is much better by far both in circumspect and visual results. The combination of a lighter camera and excellent Fuji optics make it my choice out of the two. Although I have an X-Pro1, I have never used it, it's literally brand new still in it's original wrappers and boxed. Infact, I only put it up for sale today in the classified adds on here. Therefore, I can't really comment on the IQ.

Nick your second photo in the station looks great for SOOC.
Do you plan on getting the 35mm? I just wish it wasn't slower at focus than the kit zoom.
It did fine in the shop when I gave it a go on an X-Pro1.

It's a brilliant camera and lens combination, really is SOOC and no manipulation unlike a little bit of work I did in the Whitby images.

The 35mm is certainly under consideration and a district possibility. I have heard that the latest firmware might have addressed this but I'm not sure?

I really like the look of the 56mm, there are some very good clips on YouTube. i have to dive out of the house now otherwise I would find them and post them here.

Been having a good play around with mine, like Nick said getting used to doing manual setting again, but its been fun, its really good when using the 55-210 lens, still going to keep my others Fuji as sometime I like the rangefinder style.
:)

Thanks for your notes . It's good to read others experiences.
I'm currently in the Outer Hebrides testing the X-T1.

So far I'm very impressed. The handling and ergonomics are very nice, operation is quick and responsive and auto focus is a decent improvement over the X-Pro1 . I have both with me and will do a side by side image quality test in my review.
Initial feeling is that the X-T1 offers slightly more detail.

The images I took at Callanish Standing stones yesterday with the X-T1 and 23mm lens had a depth and almost 3d quality to them.

I have a couple of niggles but nothing major. The SD card door opens too easily so can be opened accidentally. The exposure comp dial is easy to accidentally move and the fact that you have to unlock the ISO dial for every setting makes it a little more awkward than necessary.

The EVF is large and really detailed although in lower light it is a bit noisier than the one on the Olympus E-M1.

I'll be posting a full review when I'm back from Scotland in a week or so on my website www.thecotswoldphotographer.com
Here's a sooc jpeg of Callanish Stones
View attachment 7585

finally found one and ordered it. ill having it hand carried by a friend when he gets back the 21st
so excited to step up from my xe1

Had a couple of weeks to play around and get used to mine and I can only say I am loving it. The EVF is superb, the AF is excellent and the images are lovely and sharp. For me this camera ticks all the boxes and will get far more use than my DSLR's. I'm no technophobe and some of the comments on here are just techno babble to me, I just want a camera thats fun to use and takes great pictures and the X-T1 does that for me.

i already replaced my 7d and host of L lenses with an Xe-1. The X-T1 just makes it that much of a better choice.

just got mine! well kinda. its in the states and my friend is flying to Saudi next week. Ill venture to say ill have one of the first ones in the country ;)

just got mine! well kinda. its in the states and my friend is flying to Saudi next week. Ill venture to say ill have one of the first ones in the country ;)

Enjoy. It's worth waiting for.

Yes, yes it is. The moons all aligned and BAM it worked out

Cool part? Track day is happening the day after it gets here

Anyone uses the 60mm f2.4 with this camera? How does this combination perform? and does the lens perform better on the XT-1 than on the Xpro1 or XE1?

I finally got the chance to play with an X-T1 this weekend and was a little disappointed. I've got an X100S and I had prepped the missus for the inevitable upgrade and fully expected to own the X-T1 with a couple of lenses but I'm still just an X100S owner.

What I liked:

• Looks and feels like a quality bit of kit, solid and a nice heft without being heavy
  • Autofocus was good with the kit lens, not OM-D level but seemed a touch better than my X100S. I had a play with a couple of primes and AF seemed pretty consistent, the C-AF was good but I didn't get much chance to play with it
  • Dials and manual controls for nearly everything
  • EVF is very good, dual images for MF is a fantastic idea
  • More custom settings (please let Fuji add this in a future FW update for the X100S)
What I didn't like:

• The dials were fiddly, the downside perhaps of so much control on a relatively small body but I found myself thinking I could do this quicker through the Q menu.
  • The push button to unlock the ISO dial was really annoying, it makes it really awkward unless you have very nimble fingers. I don't have big banana hands but I struggled.
  • Overall in my hand it didn't feel as natural as I hoped, I tried the extra grip which really helped but that's quite an expensive extra.
  • AF was only good, this wasn't a surprise as it's one area Fuji have always lagged behind in but the promises of world's fastest AF had me excited.
  • I missed the hybrid viewfinder.
  • The price. I think it'll come down but right now supply is short so it's near RRP everywhere
So I'm left with this nagging feeling, I had been quite (actually very) excited about upgrading but I was glad to come back to my X100S. Now I'm wondering if I should keep my eye out for a second hand XE-2 or X-Pro1 and pick up a 14/18mm and 56mm with my X100S kept as my walkabout 23mm (or 19 with my WCL-X100).

Anyone else moved or thinking of moving from the X100S?

I had a play with one last weekend when a mate came to the studio, he has bought 2 and let me try one out.

It was much smaller than I anticipated, I liked the EVF and the way it handled with the battery grip and its portrait release button.

But for my needs I will stick with my X-pro1's and invest in glass for the time being or until the X-Pro2 arrives.

I think ultimately the question comes down to do you want to shoot with a rangefinder or SLR type camera.

The X100 / 100s is an excellent camera in its own right but doesn't have the flexibility of lenses that the X-PRO1 (also brilliant) or the X-T1 has.

I have quite large hands and don't use the grip, what I have is lot of experience using Nikons (FM2, F3, F4 etc). Picking up the X-T1 felt like picking up a small Nikon again. All the controls are right back where they should be albeit slightly smaller.

To change the ISO I hold the camera in my right hand. With my left depress the ISO lock with my fore finger and turn the dial with my thumb and third finger. I reverse the process the other side to adjust the Speed control. How hard can that be?

The exposure compensation does not have a lock like most of the other X series cameras.

Ultimately it boils down to manual dexterity, repetition and practice and muscle memory. I found within a couple of hours of using the X-T1 I could change the ISO, speed, Aperture and focus point without taking my eye out of the viewfinder.

I wanted to love the X-T1 and even now I am wondering if I should go back and try it another time or pick up an X-Pro1 second hand (found one locally for $500 so about 250 quid) and invest in the 56mm f1.2. I'd keep the X100S in that case and could look at the X-T1 in 12-18 months.

How have you found the X-T1 compared to the X-Pro1?

I prefer it, the XT-1 eclipses the X-Pro 1 on specification. It still does come down to choice though do you prefer a rangefinder or SLR type body ?

Usually SLR but I really love my X100S. I just didn't gel with the X-T1 in the 20-30 minutes I spent playing with it (and I really wanted to like it) so my sensible side is saying get an X-Pro1 and the 56mm for less than the X-T1 body only. The biggest downside to that is AF speed, everything else I can pretty much live without in terms of the spec differences.

If I go the X-T1 route then the X100S will have to go to fund it, if I go X-Pro1 I can probably convince the missus to let me keep both (at least until I eye up another body in 12-18 months).

It's difficult isn't it !

30 minutes really isn't long enough to get used to it to it. I would really like a X100s to be my new pocket camera (currently X10) but it is hard to justify the cost at times.

Can anyone clear up my viewfinder question : are the hybrid viewfinders on the X100, X100S and X-Pro1 about the same, and especially in EVF mode?
I hear the X-E2 EVF is better than the X-E1, and the X-T1 is much better still : correct?
Are we expecting a hybrid version of the X-T1's viewfinder in the next X-Pro2 ?

I had a quick play with the xt1 today and loved it. Feels really solid and well put together. Loved the controls and the EVF.

Can anyone clear up my viewfinder question : are the hybrid viewfinders on the X100, X100S and X-Pro1 about the same, and especially in EVF mode?
I hear the X-E2 EVF is better than the X-E1, and the X-T1 is much better still : correct?
Are we expecting a hybrid version of the X-T1's viewfinder in the next X-Pro2 ?
No. all have varying EVF. the Xpro1 EVF is junk IMO compared to the other Fuji lineup.
Correct on the evf quality
Who knows? We wont until fuji drops it. I wasnt a fan of the hybrid viewfinder personally

Back