The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's been a while since I tried this, but as far as I remember you can mount a lens on a Canon EF body, set your desired aperture, remove the lens whilst the body is still powered and mount it to your Fuji retaining the selected aperture. Can anyone confirm I've remembered this right?
Sort of... You need to stop down and press the aperture preview button, then remove the lens while holding the button. It's easy enough, I used to do it for lens reversing/macro stuff, but it does require the Canon body.

AFAIK, there arent converters that allow a fuji body to talk to canon lenses.

Took a little trip to Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery in Glasgow on Saturday. Ignoring the fact that the processing is as inconsistent as hell, here's a few edits / SOOC jpegs from the day.

Kelvin Grove Art Gallery
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Kelvin Grove Organ

Following in daddy's (foot)steps

Kelvingrove Art Gallery (wide)

Kelvingrove: The West Wing

Kelvingrove Spitfire

Thanks and apologies for the long post!

Ian

It's a fun place to shoot isn't it? Nearly popped in again today but sat in a car park instead.
I love it in there. So much interesting stuff but I always find it difficult to really nail a composition as there's just so much going on in there!

Took a little trip to Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery in Glasgow on Saturday. Ignoring the fact that the processing is as inconsistent as hell, here's a few edits / SOOC jpegs from the day.

Kelvin Grove Art Gallery

Kelvin Grove Organ

Kelvingrove Spitfire

Ian
Nice set. I like the mono ones best.

Love the sky and tones in general of the first, though the keystoning looks a bit artificial... I see what you were going for though. ;)

Toss up between the first and second for me, probably the first, as I like strong mono styles.

Thanks @jimmyjamjojo

I must admit I'm preferring mono myself these days, but didn't want to overdo it. That said, would have been more of a consistent 'set' if all b&w.

Kelvin Grove Art Gallery

Kelvin Grove Organ

Kelvingrove Spitfire

Ian

Looks cool! Pic number 5 does it for me! The plane is positioned perfectly in the frame.

Kelvin Grove Art Gallery

Kelvin Grove Organ

Kelvingrove Spitfire

Ian
Great shots. That marble hall is magnificent. It's said that Gosford House, where I used to work and live, was modelled on that hall.

Wide open, you need a converter with inbuilt manual aperture, but these often don't make good bokeh

Cheers David, as I said above, I'm happy to have it wide open as that's where it usually is when shooting wildlife this time of year....

It's been a while since I tried this, but as far as I remember you can mount a lens on a Canon EF body, set your desired aperture, remove the lens whilst the body is still powered and mount it to your Fuji retaining the selected aperture. Can anyone confirm I've remembered this right?

And that's handy to know too. I still have all 3 of my digital EOS bodies (7D1, 7D2 & 6D) plus an old 620 film body (that I doubt will ever go), so I can preset if required.

I'm just arranging to tale all my Canon gear into LCE to look at a P/X for some more Fuji goodness. 100-400, 10-24, 1.4 & 2 x converters, and maybe another T2 (graphite). Since investing in the Fuji system I have given up on carrying all that weight around....

Don't you have to press the DOF preview button at the same time as you remove it to retain the chosen aperture?

Cheers David, as I said above, I'm happy to have it wide open as that's where it usually is when shooting wildlife this time of year....

And that's handy to know too. I still have all 3 of my digital EOS bodies (7D1, 7D2 & 6D) plus an old 620 film body (that I doubt will ever go), so I can preset if required.

I'm just arranging to tale all my Canon gear into LCE to look at a P/X for some more Fuji goodness. 100-400, 10-24, 1.4 & 2 x converters, and maybe another T2 (graphite). Since investing in the Fuji system I have given up on carrying all that weight around....
Fuji GAS :D from what I have read the 2x Tele-converter softens the image quite a bit :( I already have the 1.4x TC and its great on my 50-140mm f2.8.

I think we need a new location but you guys have been to every photo location within a 100 mile radius

I think we need a new location but you guys have been to every photo location within a 100 mile radius
Yup. And we're off again on Thursday!!!
What's Preston like these days? Went to school there but it all seems to have been rebuilt since then. Worth a day out or not?

Especially on Friday nights!
Your not wrong there.

If you want to sort a meet out put it up in the meet section and we'll get it sorted. leave it for a couple of week as I'm off to Fuerteventura on Saturday for a couple of weeks.

Back to the seaside. This is one of my new favourite locations, Marloes Sands on the Dale peninsula. You can't see it in the picture but this end of the beach is littered with huge bits of rock that have fallen off the towering cliffs, and the beach stretches away for some distance. The only problems are that it's too grand in scale to be easily captured, and the amount of salt spray in the air means a lot of cleaning to avoid halation. Oh, and you'll have to walk about a mile from the car park, and it's rather steep, so you'll be pleased you bought a Fuji all over again :). But highly recommended, especially as it faces east for sunset...

Islands in the Stream
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Back to the seaside. This is one of my new favourite locations, Marloes Sands on the Dale peninsula. You can't see it in the picture but this end of the beach is littered with huge bits of rock that have fallen off the towering cliffs, and the beach stretches away for some distance. The only problems are that it's too grand in scale to be easily captured, and the amount of salt spray in the air means a lot of cleaning to avoid halation. Oh, and you'll have to walk about a mile from the car park, and it's rather steep, so you'll be pleased you bought a Fuji all over again :). But highly recommended, especially as it faces east for sunset...

Islands in the Stream
lovely place to be, and nicely captured. what's going on with the seaweed on the foreground rock, the rendering looks a little odd to me?

Islands in the Stream

Thats very nice David, hopefully heading that way for the weekend in April.

Islands in the Stream

Very nice shot Sir, and very well composed.(y)

George.

lovely place to be, and nicely captured. what's going on with the seaweed on the foreground rock, the rendering looks a little odd to me?
Thanks! I think beyond a bit of sharpening, the answer is that it's just pretty odd seaweed! I don't know what the pale strands are that are mixed in with the green, but they're real and not a processing artifact. Possibly I've been a bit heavy-handed with the dodge and burn, but I think reality is the main issue.

Thanks! I think beyond a bit of sharpening, the answer is that it's just pretty odd seaweed! I don't know what the pale strands are that are mixed in with the green, but they're real and not a processing artifact. Possibly I've been a bit heavy-handed with the dodge and burn, but I think reality is the main issue.
I'm not seeing anything out of place, Dave. Lovely shot [emoji108]

Back