The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Thats very nice David, hopefully heading that way for the weekend in April.
Do go if you can! Pembrokeshire has lots of lovely beaches, but this is my favourite yet. The whole area round Dale is pretty great, and if you like birding then the islands are also a must-see. Even if you don't bird :) they're pretty interesting. And have puffins!

Fuji GAS :D from what I have read the 2x Tele-converter softens the image quite a bit :( I already have the 1.4x TC and its great on my 50-140mm f2.8.

Not sure if 400mm + the 1.4 will be enough for small birds, I sometimes run my 150-600 with my 1.4 on the 7D2...

Only downside is that Adobe Camera RAW doesn't regonise the XT-20 RAF's but will see the X-T2 and X-pro2

Thanks! I think beyond a bit of sharpening, the answer is that it's just pretty odd seaweed! I don't know what the pale strands are that are mixed in with the green, but they're real and not a processing artifact. Possibly I've been a bit heavy-handed with the dodge and burn, but I think reality is the main issue.
thank you,

All this talk of days out reminded me that I booked a rail ticket ages ago when Virgin East Coast had a sale. Off to Leeds next week for the day, seemed like a good starting point, but not got any further ideas than that.

Thinking maybe Hebden Bridge area, no clue what it's like though, already been to most of the Airedale line places, also Ilkley, Settle including Ribblehead, Wakefield and
Bradford.

Just want somewhere to take a few photos, have a wander in the fresh air and grab some lunch
The Fuji gear needs a day out, had enough of the flat Cambridgeshire scenery, so any suggestions very gratefully received

Cheers
Rich

I sometimes use my phone to drive my X-T1 and ES for silent street shooting. It feels a bit creepy but it's
great for getting some natural pics. Here are a few pics with the wider view of people sitting opposite me.

View attachment 96844

Bad Taste ?

View attachment 96845

Intrusive ?

View attachment 96846

Selfie

Love the mono conversions - in camera or PP? And the exposure is spot on given what looks like challenging lighting conditions.

Been thinking about it for a while now, but starting to get serious with the idea of swapping my x-t10 for an x-e2/x-e2s (no idea what prices are like atm).

I just prefer a rangefinder. I rarely use the flippy screen or drive dial, and I think those are the only differences... Am I silly? Anyone owned both and care to weigh in?

I'll be heading to a local camera store to have a play with one on the weekend, which will obviously be the ultimate decider.

Edit: looking at prices, it'd be an x-e2. I'm broker than a broke thing so wont be injecting money into my camera fund. :(

Last edited:
Been thinking about it for a while now, but starting to get serious with the idea of swapping my x-t10 for an x-e2/x-e2s (no idea what prices are like atm).

I just prefer a rangefinder. I rarely use the flippy screen or drive dial, and I think those are the only differences... Am I silly? Anyone owned both and care to weigh in?

I'll be heading to a local camera store to have a play with one on the weekend, which will obviously be the ultimate decider.
I've considered swapping to an X-Pro 2 when funds allow, but for how little I use the flippy screen....I know there would be times I miss it. For me, I'd stick with the X-T10 if that's what you already have unless you really need that RF form ;)

Edit: looking at prices, it'd be an x-e2. I'm broker than a broke thing so wont be injecting money into my camera fund. :(
It's really down to personal preference. You'll probably find the XE2 is more, shall we say, measured. I.e. Not as reactive. Not really slow, but not quick. If that doesn't really matter, then handle one.

It's really down to personal preference. You'll probably find the XE2 is more, shall we say, measured. I.e. Not as reactive. Not really slow, but not quick. If that doesn't really matter, then handle one.

With the latest firmware, it 'should' be pretty much the same, they have the same number of AF points, same processor, etc, etc

George, that's Exquisite. I can actually count the hairs......wOw Fantastic photographic work and skills......!!

Regards;
Peter

Thank you kindly Sir, that's really appreciated.(y)

George.

So when Ken Rockwell says only use Fuji lenses on Fuji bodies to get the best results........................?

I take it you'd recommend using other lenses on the Fuji George?

I still have a PK adaptor and a Pentax 50mm F17 lens.

I may try it on my new XT2

So when Ken Rockwell says only use Fuji lenses on Fuji bodies to get the best results........................?

That Pentax is a sweet wee lens on the X series.

Cheers Stephen, just need some manual PK extension tubes and I can try the XT2 out on macro.

Had good results with my D750 with manual tubes and 50mm f1.8D

That's a "yes you can" then Colin

How do you find the old glass holds up on modern digital equipment?

Some older lenses are very "interesting" certainly nowhere near as good as the Fuji glass but my Helios 58mm and the Helios 135mm give very good results considering the cost, especially when stopped down slightly.
The vivitar 19mm hasn't been given a test yet but a couple of shots in the house show it to be as soft round the edges as I expected :)

One of the adapters I have is a lens turbo II which gives a much wider shot than a simple tube adapter does. So the 4 lens 3 adapter set gives me the rough equivalents of 13mm, 19mm, 28mm, 38mm, 58mm, 90mm & 135mm in Fuji terms.

I posted some shots from the three Helios lenses a couple of weeks back before my new Lens Turbo had arrived. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...10-owners-thread.527428/page-696#post-7739406

The Fooj lenses in my honest opinion are as good as anything out there, its just at this moment in time there is not a suitable Fooj-X lens of around 105mm FL that can really suffice for Macro work. As soon as there is then I shall use one.(y)

George.

The Fooj lenses in my honest opinion are as good as anything out there, its just at this moment in time there is not a suitable Fooj-X lens of around 105mm FL that can really suffice for Macro work. As soon as there is then I shall use one.(y)

George.

Fujinon 80mm f2.8 WR OIS Macro (1:1) is due soon, also compatible with the teleconverters ;)

That's a "yes you can" then Colin

How do you find the old glass holds up on modern digital equipment?
Some older lenses are very "interesting" certainly nowhere near as good as the Fuji glass but my Helios 58mm and the Helios 135mm give very good results considering the cost, especially when stopped down slightly.
The vivitar 19mm hasn't been given a test yet but a couple of shots in the house show it to be as soft round the edges as I expected :)

One of the adapters I have is a lens turbo II which gives a much wider shot than a simple tube adapter does. So the 4 lens 3 adapter set gives me the rough equivalents of 13mm, 19mm, 28mm, 38mm, 58mm, 90mm & 135mm in Fuji terms.

I posted some shots from the three Helios lenses a couple of weeks back before my new Lens Turbo had arrived. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...10-owners-thread.527428/page-696#post-7739406

One of things with old glass is that it was designed for full 35mm film, so since the Fuji requires a smaller image circle, a lot of the imperfections (soft at the edges) on old glass doesn't come into play as much as it's outside the image circle required by the APS-C sensor. That said some of the old glass is a bit ropey, but some can produce great images.

There is also not a lot of 'good' wide angle old glass out there, very few 'premium' brands made anything much wider than 24mm in that era.

IMO its worth having an experiment, I've tried quite a few and whilst it is interesting they haven't held my attention span for long, and I've returned quite quickly to the Fuji glass.

Fujinon 80mm f2.8 WR OIS Macro (1:1) is due soon, also compatible with the teleconverters ;)

Thank you I was fully aware of that Sir, and I'll almost certainly be getting one. For me I would have preferred it if the new lens were a bit longer. I wouldn't be interested in the TC as I personally can't stand the things.(y)

George.

There is also not a lot of 'good' wide angle old glass out there, very few 'premium' brands made anything much wider than 24mm in that era.

That was the main reason for the LensTurbo and the Vivitar 19mm. The Vivitar was a budget lens when it was first introduced and probably sells for more now than it did new. It certainly won't be producing anything printable at anything larger than 5x7 but as you say it's well worth having a play with these things.

Total cost of the kit in my picture was £425 including all adapters and even the case which considering it includes the X-Pro1 with a 1 year warranty and the brand new LensTurbo is not bad IMO.

Thank you I was fully aware of that Sir, and I'll almost certainly be getting one. For me I would have preferred it if the new lens were a bit longer. I wouldn't be interested in the TC as I personally can't stand the things.(y)

George.

I was of the same opinion but went for the 100-400 + 1.4x teleconverter kit since I was fairly sure that the teleconverter could be sold on at little or no loss if it wasn't up to scratch. I still have it! I even got the 2x teleconverter as well but might sell that on since it doesn't get much use. I'd recommend you try the 80mm with the 1.4x teleconverter so at least you'll then KNOW that it's not for you - or want one!

Ken Rockwell is a fool. His opinion is as out of date as his whole web site.

I was of the same opinion but went for the 100-400 + 1.4x teleconverter kit since I was fairly sure that the teleconverter could be sold on at little or no loss if it wasn't up to scratch. I still have it! I even got the 2x teleconverter as well but might sell that on since it doesn't get much use. I'd recommend you try the 80mm with the 1.4x teleconverter so at least you'll then KNOW that it's not for you - or want one!

Thanks for that Sir, I've already got the 100-400mm lens and in my opinion its an all round superb optic. As for a TC I've never yet seen one from any manufacturer that doesn't reduce the optical quality of the lens. We did as a company try the Fooj TCs when we changed over exclusively to Fuji-X units last year and we were not impressed with the results, plus the loss of light just wasn't for us.(y)

George.

Back