The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Thats good to know, I have RMSD sighed for signature, the receipt and several photos of me packing it along with a close up of the address on the box that I send it to - hopefully that will be enough, but freezing that kind of money - or more likely the bank account (as I've withdrawn the money already) is going to kill my daughters birthday :(
john does that mean you sent a high end lens with £50 insurance, i think thats all you get with "signed for" your a braver man than me!

No, RMSD with a grands insurance and very well packed, how I always send stuff.
What I was worried about is that were this a pro scammer then even though I couldn't see how I felt that somehow I was going to loose money and lens, it could still happen but it just seems less likely now.

No, RMSD with a grands insurance and very well packed, how I always send stuff.
What I was worried about is that were this a pro scammer then even though I couldn't see how I felt that somehow I was going to loose money and lens, it could still happen but it just seems less likely now.

Glad to hear that all's well

Thanks, not as much as me :)

How did it pan out for you?
No problems at all. Turns out this is quite a common way to get goods delivered to Ireland. But paypal were adamant that once the goods reach the address they have registered on the account (always use a signed-for service so they know it has arrived), and been signed for as satisfactory, that's the end of the transaction. If anything goes wrong after that, they won't refund as damage must have occurred, as far as they are concerned, between the distribution hub and the buyers actual address which is not registered.

@ukaskew, I missed it first time round, but by chance your DPReview thread just popped up on my newsfeed so I read your D750 Vs XT2, very nice, unbiased and from my (fading) memory I totally agree, although it's obvious to me that you know your kit a lot better than I do.

No problems at all. Turns out this is quite a common way to get goods delivered to Ireland. But paypal were adamant that once the goods reach the address they have registered on the account (always use a signed-for service so they know it has arrived), and been signed for as satisfactory, that's the end of the transaction. If anything goes wrong after that, they won't refund as damage must have occurred, as far as they are concerned, between the distribution hub and the buyers actual address which is not registered.
Ah, I see, sort of makes sense.
I must admit that had someone have asked if I'd post to Romania I would have refused out of hand (I just don't do international after a bad experience posting to the US), so even though that's not what happened here I can understand people doing that if it's the only was they can get goods.

I've sold goods on here to a guy who lives and works in Ireland. I've done it more than once and have always sent the items to an address in this country. I don't understand the system but it seems they go to some form of collection centre and they are then bulk shipped over to Eire. Works well for me because I only pay UK postage. Works for him because I don't add overseas postage onto the price.
And yes. ..I get a signature from some anonymous person.

Interested to hear what filter sets the landscape guys use with the XT1 (or any Fuji model really)

I have a lee holder, 100x150 hard grads, hitech IRND 10 stop and a few other bits. Only have a 77mm adapter ring though currently.

I'm wondering if a 100mm kit is to big for a small body like the xT1. The whole point for me buying it is to keep the gear to a minimum. I have serious spinal/muscle/nerve issues and just can't carry lots of gear anymore, so lightness is a big issue. I know filters dont exactly weigh much but I wonder if I'd be better off with an 85mm set.

The camera is coming with the 35mmf/1.4, but I can't see me using that for landscapes much, so will be looking to buy either the 18-55 or possibly even something like the 16mm f/1.4 or maybe a samyang. Most likely will be the 18-55 though. Any one use 85mm filters with that set up?
Also thinking hard grads probably aren't all that helpful with a smaller sensor , so will need to get some soft grads anyway. I used to have a full set of soft 150's but sold them all as I never use them with the d700.

Would like a polariser too, that works with the filter system, guess it'll have to be a 105mm regardless of 150 or 85mm filter sizes?

Also need a new tripod head. I hate the off axis ball head on my gitzo, and also want an Arca Swiss compatible one. Needs to be cheap though!

Interested to hear what filter sets the landscape guys use with the XT1 (or any Fuji model really)

I have a lee holder, 100x150 hard grads, hitech IRND 10 stop and a few other bits. Only have a 77mm adapter ring though currently.

I'm wondering if a 100mm kit is to big for a small body like the xT1. The whole point for me buying it is to keep the gear to a minimum. I have serious spinal/muscle/nerve issues and just can't carry lots of gear anymore, so lightness is a big issue. I know filters dont exactly weigh much but I wonder if I'd be better off with an 85mm set.

The camera is coming with the 35mmf/1.4, but I can't see me using that for landscapes much, so will be looking to buy either the 18-55 or possibly even something like the 16mm f/1.4 or maybe a samyang. Most likely will be the 18-55 though. Any one use 85mm filters with that set up?
Also thinking hard grads probably aren't all that helpful with a smaller sensor , so will need to get some soft grads anyway. I used to have a full set of soft 150's but sold them all as I never use them with the d700.

Would like a polariser too, that works with the filter system, guess it'll have to be a 105mm regardless of 150 or 85mm filter sizes?

Also need a new tripod head. I hate the off axis ball head on my gitzo, and also want an Arca Swiss compatible one. Needs to be cheap though!
An 85mm or even 75mm set will do you fine on all but the 10-24mm iirc. For that, you're better sticking with what you have.

An 85mm or even 75mm set will do you fine on all but the 10-24mm iirc. For that, you're better sticking with what you have.
Even on the 10-24 you are fine unless you shoot between 10 &12.
How do I know? We did a field test!

Even on the 10-24 you are fine unless you shoot between 10 &12.
Indeed, but I didn't see the point in getting into that (in can and do use 10mm because if you have a lens with that capability, why restrict yourself to not then be able to use that....even if it is only with said filters).

@ukaskew, I missed it first time round, but by chance your DPReview thread just popped up on my newsfeed so I read your D750 Vs XT2, very nice, unbiased and from my (fading) memory I totally agree, although it's obvious to me that you know your kit a lot better than I do.

Thanks. I've just noticed it has appeared at the top of the Fuji Rumors site, the traffic stats on my page for the past couple of hours are hilarious (in the thousands!)

Thanks. I've just noticed it has appeared at the top of the Fuji Rumors site, the traffic stats on my page for the past couple of hours are hilarious (in the thousands!)
Aye I got that one too :)
Very good article though and nice to see some recognition for it.

I bet you've been glued to the stat charts, I remember way back when I had full Flickr and a couple went explore, it was mesmerising!

X-T2 and 100-400 + 1.4 owners. Any suggestions for using this combo for birds in flight. I had a day at Bempton Cliffs yesterday trying to get some decent shots of Gannets and failed miserably. Generally played around with various settings such as - AF-C, Zone Area to the centre, speeds between 1250 and 2000 bearing in mind lots of panning. Light conditions were good for the day.
Any help would be appreciated....thanks in advance.

Aye I got that one too :)
Very good article though and nice to see some recognition for it.

I bet you've been glued to the stat charts, I remember way back when I had full Flickr and a couple went explore, it was mesmerising!

I didn't know they were publishing it, logged in to do a bit of work on my site and I saw 1350 unique visitors so far today, when I average about 5! It's gone a bit mental since those already silly figures.

Fuji UK will be featuring my work in a few weeks time too so that'll be interesting.

X-T2 and 100-400 + 1.4 owners. Any suggestions for using this combo for birds in flight. I had a day at Bempton Cliffs yesterday trying to get some decent shots of Gannets and failed miserably. Generally played around with various settings such as - AF-C, Zone Area to the centre, speeds between 1250 and 2000 bearing in mind lots of panning. Light conditions were good for the day.
Any help would be appreciated....thanks in advance.

Well, I just sold mine, and found this out after it was sent.. (sodding luck) but apparently set it to OIS II in the menu system, it will still be wobbling about when you go to take the shot but will snap on and get a sharp image.

I didn't know they were publishing it, logged in to do a bit of work on my site and I saw 1350 unique visitors so far today, when I average about 5! It's gone a bit mental since those already silly figures.

Fuji UK will be featuring my work in a few weeks time too so that'll be interesting.
Outstanding :)

Funny thing is when I was reading through the article I was thinking they should be promo shots... and now they will be, can I get psychic commission ;)

Well, I just sold mine, and found this out after it was sent.. (sodding luck) but apparently set it to OIS II in the menu system, it will still be wobbling about when you go to take the shot but will snap on and get a sharp image.

Cheers for that tip, John - That'll help me with panning for both vehicles and the occasional bird!

Just priced up a hitech set at both 67 and 85mm. Spotted the Locardi signature edition kit.
4 stop ND
10 stop ND
0.9 soft
Holder and various adapter rings

67mm -£153. Reasonable I think

85mm - £292 :jawdrop:

Pretty big difference, but I'm just not sure if the 67mm will suit stacking 2-3 filters at 18mm
That being said, the pre made 65mm kit doesn't come with a 58mm adapter ring, so I'd end up with 4 rings I won't use and need to buy the right one.

To buy it all separately is £170 at 65mm and £330 at 85mm

Or I could just stick with my 100mm stuff, buy a 58mm ring and a soft grad and a 4 stop ND which alone would cost over £300

Decisions decisions.

Agreed, but what proportion of shots requiring grads are shot at 10mm?
Of mine, no idea as I don't own any grads. I just use LR grads as needed tbh. Only filter I own is a 10 stopper and soon to be polariser added to that.

Of mine, no idea as I don't own any grads. I just use LR grads as needed tbh. Only filter I own is a 10 stopper and soon to be polariser added to that.

But to add fuel to the 'filter' fire at 10mm (or any extreme wide angle), the image path at the edges travels through a greater distance on the ND filter than it does in the middle of the image, so whilst the centre of the image may be 10 stops, the edges made be at 11-12 stops depending on the angle of the field of view.

Just like cameras and lenses, there is no such thing as a perfect filter (and that's before we start discussing the merits of polarisers on wide angles - or lack of merits!!)

Though Full NDs and Polarisers cannot be replicated in Post Processing.

And IMHO opinion the only reason to use a grad is to improve the dynamic range of the 'single' image, and certainly not valid if you are bracketing shots

Nothing is easy......

Last edited:
But to add fuel to the 'filter' at 10mm (or any extreme wide angle), the image path at the edges travels through a greater distance on the grad than it does in the middle of the image, so whilst the centre of the image may be 10 stops, the edges made be at 11-12 stops depending on the angle of the field of view.

Just like cameras and lenses, there is no such thing as a perfect filter (and that's before we start discussing the merits of polarisers on wide angles - or lack of merits!!)

Though Full NDs and Polarisers cannot be replicated in Post Processing.

And IMHO opinion the only reason to use a grad is to improve the dynamic range of the 'single' image, and certainly not valid if you are bracketing shots

Nothing is easy......
I've been debating that polariser with myself for the best part of a year now and I'm still not certain either way [emoji1]

I do wonder the validity of grads. I rarely use the ones I have, and with Lightroom and RAW, it's pretty easy to get the same effect.
Would certainly make things cheaper. I could then just buy a 3 or 4 stop ND and then save up a bit more for a polariser. I do have various screw in polarisers, but I'd like one I can use with the lee kit, so I'd need a 105mm and adapter which doesn't come cheap.

Here's a shot I took today. Very bright sky making the guy under the canopy little more than a sillouhette.
A quick flick onto bracketing mode, and 9 shots run off in an instant. If you have the Nik package installed just select the images in Lightroom>Export>HDR Efex and it does it for you.
Then play around to get an image to your liking. Not done much on this because I didn't like the background so thought it would never make a good image, but it shows how easy it is.
How would you use a grad on this sky? Almost impossible!FUJI9135_HDR.jpg

It's the editing of bracketed shots I need to get my head around. On my 'to do' list!

If using LR select the shots you want in the library, right click, select Photo Merge -> HDR, providing the shots selected are ok, and you then don't be too extreme with the sliders then the HDRness will be quite gentle

This is 7 shots merged

170325 Hope Valley
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

If using LR select the shots you want in the library, right click, select Photo Merge -> HDR, providing the shots selected are ok, and you then don't be too extreme with the sliders then the HDRness will be quite gentle

This is 7 shots merged

170325 Hope Valley
by David Yeoman, on Flickr
Yeah that's what I've been doing, though been looking at PS for blending also.

Worth noting that to avoid the extreme HDR effect, 'auto toning' should be turned off!

Sadly little X-T10 will I only run off three bracketed shots at a time so limited to that, for now.

Last edited:
Which on the X-T2 is so easy to do that it does make grads, in many instances, redundant.

Agreed, unless you are combining grads with full NDs in which case the scene may well have changed between brackets shots!!!

Glad you are up and about on solo missions now, I'm still hoping to be be free this Thursday for a Blackpool meet, but won't know until late Tuesday assuming I can get my customers to behave!!

Sadly little X-T10 will I only run off three bracketed shots at a time so limited to that, for now.
Are you sure? Run three shots off from 0 exposure comp gives you 0,+1,-1. Set exposure comp to -3 and run three more giving you -2, -3 & -4. Then go to +3 comp. Run three more bracketed shots and you have +2, +3 & +4. Nine shots all one stop apart. You'll need a tripod.

Are you sure? Run three shots off from 0 exposure comp gives you 0,+1,-1. Set exposure comp to -3 and run three more giving you -2, -3 & -4. Then go to +3 comp. Run three more bracketed shots and you have +2, +3 & +4. Nine shots all one stop apart. You'll need a tripod.
I see what you mean. I thought the X-T2 did all nine in a single 'click'. May give that a go!

Cheers

Ian

Glad you are up and about on solo missions now, I'm still hoping to be be free this Thursday for a Blackpool meet, but won't know until late Tuesday assuming I can get my customers to behave!!
Was only out for a couple of hours, but it's a start. Couldn't get over Runcorn this morning. Had to turn round and go M62, M6 and M56.

Let me know about Thursday. ..it's in the diary.

I see what you mean. I thought the X-T2 did all nine in a single 'click'. May give that a go!

Cheers

Ian
The X-T2 does run 9 shots off all at once. Very useful it is especially for handholding. I learned that trick on the T1 which doesn't.

Now Google have picked it up, just got a direct to your site link :)

You stats must be giving insane!

@mickledore great shot there and a very interesting how to. Sadly I ended up at Buxton carnival, had a great day but only took a few shots. I'm going to have to sit with the xt-2 and do some reading about settings, couldn't even get the damn thing into raw today.

Back