The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'll have to join in on here when I get something to show and tell!
Just bought an X-T10, traded in an X-Pro1 that I just wasn't getting on with. I'd bought it as a smaller camera (well, smaller than my Nikon DSLRs) when kayaking, hiking and biking but was never convinced. The X-T10 seems more what I was after in the first place. I've grabbed one of the Speedbooster adapters as well, as I have a few old manual Nikon lenses with the film camera, so will be interesting to see what comes up!
Welcome aboard.
I've purchased a X-T10 recently and am loving it. This is a very popular thread and the folk here are very knowledgeable and helpful, and Fuji as a brand is amazing.

F8-F11
Set focus on infinity, then back off just a touch, then everything will be in focus front to back, unless you are really low down, in which case you might have to back off a bit more
Put focus peaking on
Don't forget to Set 'Shoot without a lens' - On
Good advice. I find the magnification focusing aid to be more reliable for me than focus peaking, but you should definitely use one or the other. Try both and see which you get on with better.

Quick one from the garden this morning, saw him flutter by in the strong wind and stop for a rest...

Untitled by jimmyjamjoejoe, on Flickr

X-T10, 18-55mm, and extension tube.

Nice close up. Haven't got one decent butterfly shot this year yet. Pretty hairy dude! almost more moth-like?

Good advice. I find the magnification focusing aid to be more reliable for me than focus peaking, but you should definitely use one or the other. Try both and see which you get on with better.

Same, I find peaking too distracting and not always very precise for MF. With the magnification or focus check I can see sharp details much clearer. I trust my eyes more than the tech :) Anyone who's done some macro photography should have a good eye for detail, as MF is the only way to go in that dept.

Last edited:
Just bought an X-T10, traded in an X-Pro1 that I just wasn't getting on with. I'd bought it as a smaller camera (well, smaller than my Nikon DSLRs) when kayaking, hiking and biking but was never convinced. The X-T10 seems more what I was after in the first place. I've grabbed one of the Speedbooster adapters as well, as I have a few old manual Nikon lenses with the film camera, so will be interesting to see what comes up!

Welcome to the thread, I am sure you will like it as all the X users are very helpful :)

Thank you George. I know I have been a pain, asking all sorts of questions while I got myself kitted out - but now I am up and running I hope I shall be able to contribute some pictures for people to pull to pieces. I don't mind, I have broad shoulders (well, one broad shoulder left, the other is a bit less now!) and thick skin, so be as unkind as you like, it will be taken on board and the advice / suggestions filed away for my future improvement.

I did a fishing feature for a countryside magazine the other day (yesterday?) and got some crackers. They are still in the camera at the moment, but I shall have to download them and get the batteries charged as I have a bike to do in Swansea, hopefully tomorrow, but until I get the off caerma flash system sorted I shall be a bit limited. Once that is sorted I shall be away on all cylinders. I need three decent power flashes that I can work remotely to match what I had in the Nikon system.

First of all no one's a pain for asking questions Sir, that's just what the forum's all about, to improve our photography and know how.(y)

With regards to your off camera flash set up, if you still have your Nikon flash units you can fire them off camera using any basic radio trigger and receiver units available from fleebay. They obviously would only work in manual mode though ie no TTL flash.

I still use my old Nikon SB800 units with my Fuji set up, but I have ripped the inards out of an old Nikon SU800 control unit and incorporated the circuitry from it into a box I made up with some Fuji circuitry that I obtained :whistle: it enables me to control the SB800 units all from the camera. Took a bit of working out to do but it works a treat.:D

George.

Welcome to Fuji-X part of TP Sir, "Enjoy".(y)

George.

I'm using the same Yongnuo flash and cheap trigger/receiver set for the Fuji as I used for my Nikon. I did have a pair of SB900 that I actually bought through here at one point, but sold them on before I had the XT-1. ALl I know is, the yongnuo designed to work with Nikon is working fine for me with the Fuji. Manual only, but the YN-560 was only ever full manual for the Nikon too.

I have the Fuji XT1 and have never been particularly happy with the AF speed, has anyone had both the XT1 and XT2 and is the 2 noticeably faster? Thank you.

Yes & Yes Ma'am, as a company we are PR photographers for two F1 teams. Myself & staff photographers shoot all our F1 and other motor sport work using Battery Packed X-T2 units exclusively. They are considerably more responsive than the excellent X-T1 units and are as good as the FF DSLRs that we were using.(y)

George.

I have the Fuji XT1 and have never been particularly happy with the AF speed, has anyone had both the XT1 and XT2 and is the 2 noticeably faster? Thank you.

What I like about the new Fujis is the responsiveness - there's no lag when shooting which can make a difference. Focus speed is improved with the older lenses like 35/1.4 as it hunts less to acquire focus.

I just shot a wedding in terrible light with an X-T20 (same tech as the X-T2) and X-T10 (same tech as the X-T1) and found that they both struggled in low light (think ISO 5000 @ f/2.8 @ 1/200th second). But...I still got the results I needed.

I find a huge difference even between the XT-1 and the Xpro1 even, they are miles apart in terms of AF speed, EVF clarity and overall responsiveness. The Xpro1 can take an age to buffer after a couple of shots in succession where the T1 just breezes it. So I can imagine that improvement again, on top, between the T1 & 2.

First of all no one's a pain for asking questions Sir, that's just what the forum's all about, to improve our photography and know how.(y)

With regards to your off camera flash set up, if you still have your Nikon flash units you can fire them off camera using any basic radio trigger and receiver units available from fleebay. They obviously would only work in manual mode though ie no TTL flash.

I still use my old Nikon SB800 units with my Fuji set up, but I have ripped the inards out of an old Nikon SU800 control unit and incorporated the circuitry from it into a box I made up with some Fuji circuitry that I obtained :whistle: it enables me to control the SB800 units all from the camera. Took a bit of working out to do but it works a treat.:D

George.

Unfortunately I am starting from scratch - all my Nikon gear was lost in a crash on the M40. I was on my motorbike and a fellow on his mobile phone hit a Porsche Cayenne, which collected me, on my bike, and put me in front of an E-class coming up the outside lane. I bounced fairly well, but my panniers with the camera kit in was ripped off in the subsequent crash and wasn't recovered with the bike. So I am having to get going again from a standing start - hence the opportunity to try the Fuji system. Every cloud and all that.

DSCF0129.c.jpg

Just to prove the timing wasn't a fluke! This was with the 50-140 at the wider end. It was what I had on the front!

Great pics Simon, used to do a bit of fishing myself. Been a long time, wish we had the tech then when i was young that we have today. Would love shots like this from my old fishing outings with my Dad, Granddad and uncles. Some of whom are long gone now.

Last one from my quick trip into the woods...

The Tree by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Really enjoying these (and actually really enjoying processing them too) - will definitely have to take advantage of where i live more often rather then heading into the city.
Beautiful! I want to learn to process like that. Then again, I would love to live somewhere somewhere with this kind of beauty (or at least have time to visit).

Probably the last shot of Laig Beach for a while. As you can see, the X-Trans sensor has produced all sorts of strange worminess here. No wait, that's how the seaweed actually grows. My bad :rolleyes::whistle:

Whitened
by David Hallett, on Flickr
I love the foreground interest here.

This might be of interest to show the dynamic range in the Fuji sensor - shot with XT-1 and 10-24 :)

Before:

Melrose Abbey - unedited
by Mike Smith, on Flickr

After:

Melrose Abbey Sunset
by Mike Smith, on Flickr
I would love to know what you did here. Did you lift shadows in LR/PS?

Just a couple that I finished in LR from yesterday.

Smile your`ve been snapped by David Ore, on Flickr

Take a Seat by David Ore, on Flickr
These are really nice. It looks like you're getting the hang of the X-T20 .

Hi! I'm new to this thread. I got my X-T1 a year ago, and an X-T10 a few months later (I bought a lens and X-T10 on eBay for less than either cost alone). I keep the 27mm lens on the X-T10 and rotate my other lenses on the X-T1.

View attachment 108269

Again, I wanted to try and get away from the standard, fast shutter speed, action stopped picture of the action when landing a fish - so I used a slow shutter speed and let the blur tell the story. There is enough 'sharp' within the image to define it.
I love when nature photos have motion blur like this. As for multiple photos in one post, just keep clicking on the image icon and adding a new URL for each photo. (at least, that's what I've done)

I actually went into the outside world this week with the camera, first time in aaaaagggess!

20690248_10212621428147239_1698630552324432477_o.jpg

Not pin sharp, blowing wind made getting the shot very tricky, had to accept what blew into the plane of focus!

I actually went into the outside world this week with the camera, first time in aaaaagggess!

Not pin sharp, blowing wind made getting the shot very tricky, had to accept what blew into the plane of focus!

It works for me :) Love the smooth in/out focus transition.

REALLY like that. Nice complementary colours. I suck at these shots where the subject becomes the background, but really like them...

Great shot and idea Sir, one strand sharp and the rest out of focus works really well in my book.(y)

George.

View attachment 108269

Again, I wanted to try and get away from the standard, fast shutter speed, action stopped picture of the action when landing a fish - so I used a slow shutter speed and let the blur tell the story. There is enough 'sharp' within the image to define it.

"Excellent" shot Sir, this sort of technique work really well for me.(y)

George.

I went out yesterday to play and took a couple of harbour shots at Wells-Next-The-Sea in Norfolk with X-T10 / 55-200.View attachment 108275 View attachment 108276 View attachment 108277 View attachment 108278

Nice set of images Sir with some good composition and colour.(y)

"Not in any way a complaint about the shots, but I'd be interested to know how your posting your images on TP as with respects they don't appear to be very sharp which I'm sure they really are"

George.

This was in my garden, trying out some close focussing on the 35 f1.4.View attachment 108279

Another very nice shot Sir, with spot on colour.(y)

"As with your other shots this one to me doesn't look sharp, I'm sure the shot itself is, so for some reason you appear to be losing the definition during posting. Please don't take it as a nit picking complaint as I'm just trying to help you display your shots at there very best"

George.

Unfortunately I am starting from scratch - all my Nikon gear was lost in a crash on the M40. I was on my motorbike and a fellow on his mobile phone hit a Porsche Cayenne, which collected me, on my bike, and put me in front of an E-class coming up the outside lane. I bounced fairly well, but my panniers with the camera kit in was ripped off in the subsequent crash and wasn't recovered with the bike. So I am having to get going again from a standing start - hence the opportunity to try the Fuji system. Every cloud and all that.

Sorry to hear about that Sir, I had no idea of your recent misfortune. I sure do hope your well on the way to a full recovery.(y)

George.

Another very nice shot Sir, with spot on colour.(y)

"As with your other shots this one to me doesn't look sharp, I'm sure the shot itself is, so for some reason you appear to be losing the definition during posting. Please don't take it as a nit picking complaint as I'm just trying to help you display your shots at there very best"

George.
I agree, and have the same issue myself with the 34mm wide open at 1.4. The focal plane is just so damn fine it's easy to just miss it with the tiniest of movements.

The results for me is that I have less 'keepers with this lens, but those that are sharp where they need to be are lovely.

Back